Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nah!!
Jan 5, 2009

I don't understand the "man in armor" complaints about these games. Whenever it comes up I feel like people just end up describing :darksouls:

Maybe it's because I've only played Bloodborne and DS3, but what non-gimmick bosses don't put on pressure with some combo of swipes and/or slams that you beat by finding the tempo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Otakufag posted:

Guys do think Ashes of Ariandel will fix poise and all the other billion problems ds3 had?

I can't believe I'm going to answer that seriously but here we go. It depends on what issues you mean. Even I, as someone who thinks 2 is the best Souls, will fully admit that the DLC is quite a bit better than the main game. That said, the DLC doesn't really fix any of the fundamental issues that 2 had that weren't initially patched, it just had better design around the edges. So, no.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

Blue Smelter Demon is the price we pay for the 2 DLCs being so good otherwise.

nothing was worth the blizzard area

Orv
May 4, 2011

Svenator posted:

I don't understand the "man in armor" complaints about these games. Whenever it comes up I feel like people just end up describing :darksouls:

Maybe it's because I've only played Bloodborne and DS3, but what non-gimmick bosses don't put on pressure with some combo of swipes and/or slams that you beat by finding the tempo?

The point is that it's granular enough between games because of the speed and play sense of the games due to their mechanics changes, that it can be a discussion to be had, or at least be a subjectively diverse thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

nothing was worth the blizzard area

I just told the blizzard area to gently caress off after I saw what it consisted of. Actually to be honest as good as the DLCs are in general, all the optional areas are kind of terrible garbage in all three.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's the only area in the entire series that I just never bothered to complete

haven't even seen the boss

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Otakufag posted:

Guys do think Ashes of Ariandel will fix poise and all the other billion problems ds3 had?

Ignoring that it doesn't have a billion problems, no it won't fix poise. It's the kind of bullheaded bug/design mistake they have a history with that only gets (quitely) fixed after a complete game overhaul. It'll take a DS3-Scholar of the Dragon Baby type remaster for them to fix poise.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Did they do the Souls thing for 3 of patching drop rates after everyone had beaten the game the first time? I thought the game itself actually gave you enough poo poo without having to grind so maybe they didn't have to for once?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You know what sucks about the blizzard area?

It actually looks cool if I bother to remove the blizzard.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Genocyber posted:

Bamco really wants a successful Souls-clone that they control completely, I guess. And the first game sold fairly well which is enough to convince execs I suppose.

People are really bad at formulating complaints.

It's a good complaint though DS3 boss design is worlds better than bosses from DS1 or DS2. Even with its dumb reliance on hidden 2nd health bars. DS2 had way too many large humanoid in armor with big weapons as bosses.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I remember all those fights against giant amorphous monsters and how everyone enjoyed them, like Dragon God and Bed of Chaos and the Ancient Dragon

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the problem dark souls 2 had wasnt big guy bosses. it was that half the bosses were dull and not really hard bosses.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Iretep posted:

the problem dark souls 2 had wasnt big guy bosses. it was that half the bosses were dull and not really hard bosses.

This is an actual complaint. Not one that I entirely agree with (beyond the bosses being easy but that's true of DeS and DS1 as well) but it's more cogent than "oh these bosses are all armored knights and that's why they're bad" in a series where some of the best bosses are exactly that.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Djeser posted:

I remember all those fights against giant amorphous monsters and how everyone enjoyed them, like Dragon God and Bed of Chaos and the Ancient Dragon

Again, they've broken the "giant armored guy" mold before successfully, unless Sanctuary Guardian, Maneaters and Flamelurker never happened.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Djeser posted:

DS2 did do the puzzle boss right in the form of the chariot.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Picking up DS3 after a few months away from it and I'm having a total blast. Somehow missed the Cathedral path my first time playing, so I went back to it on my main and the cardinal group fight was really awesome. I love that DS3 gives you a few opportunities where a whip is actually a good choice because you need the crowd control.

I think DS3 is starting to approach if not surpass Demon's in how much I like it. Even though Demon's had amazing world design that the series hasn't quite touched on since, it definitely loses some points for having storage limits in your inventory.

By the by, if I wanted to play vanilla (or vanilla-ish) DS2, is that possible with the SOTFS release for PS3, or would I have to buy the base game plus DLC for it? I'm debating making a serious go at getting the whole series' trophy set.

Orv
May 4, 2011
SotSF doesn't have the original game placements and balance inside it, no.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seeing as I always play the Souls series using a female character I can't find much reason to look into The Surge. If your character is going to be a bland, mute non-entity then you may as well have them be fully customisable. And what kind of name is "The Surge"? I can't remember any memorable game where the name had to be prefixed with "The" except maybe Zelda and everyone skips the "The" there.

I wish there was an option to skip Iudex Gundyr for the time being. He's cool and all but a bit much for new-time players. My Deprived rear end got pounded four times so I caved and won with a Knight instead.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 16, 2016

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Orv posted:

SotSF doesn't have the original game placements and balance inside it, no.

That's what I figured, though I wasn't totally sure if SOTFS for last gen was just a GOTY edition or if it was fully rebalanced like it is on PS4. Time to hunt down a copy of vanilla DS2 and a non-digital Dark Souls! :buddy:

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Seeing as I always play the Souls series using a female character I can't find much reason to look into The Surge. If your character is going to be a bland, mute non-entity then you may as well have them be fully customisable. And what kind of name is "The Surge"? I can't remember any memorable game where the name had to be prefixed with "The" except maybe Zelda and everyone skips the "The" there.

Pretty minor gripes if you ask me... though I got no idea what the surge is

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Dewgy posted:

That's what I figured, though I wasn't totally sure if SOTFS for last gen was just a GOTY edition or if it was fully rebalanced like it is on PS4. Time to hunt down a copy of vanilla DS2 and a non-digital Dark Souls! :buddy:

As far as I know the PS3 SOTFS is just the original game with all the DLC:s and it does not have the new enemy and item placements that the "actual" SOTFS for PS4/XBONE/PC has. It does have the new NPC and story stuff but that was patched into all existing DS2 versions as well so the only way to play a completely vanilla DS2 would be to find an original disc and play it without patching.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Dewgy posted:

By the by, if I wanted to play vanilla (or vanilla-ish) DS2, is that possible with the SOTFS release for PS3, or would I have to buy the base game plus DLC for it? I'm debating making a serious go at getting the whole series' trophy set.
It depends on what you mean by "vanilla-ish DS2". The Scholar releases for PC, PS4, and XBone are all cohesive remasters/rearrangements of the original DS2 + DLC + Scholar patch. But the Scholar releases for XB360 and PS3 are instead just original DS2 + codes for DLC + patches, exactly as if you'd bought them individually when they were first released.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I feel the biggest problem with DS3 is the gated linearity and the only way that DLC will fix this is for the DLC area to be like the Zertinan Caverns from FFXII and connects to multiple areas in the base game. I doubt this will happen though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

or they could just be big areas that connect to each other really well

like central yharnam in bloodborne was just one area but it looped around on itself a lot so it felt huge and was fun to explore

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

It depends on what you mean by "vanilla-ish DS2". The Scholar releases for PC, PS4, and XBone are all cohesive remasters/rearrangements of the original DS2 + DLC + Scholar patch. But the Scholar releases for XB360 and PS3 are instead just original DS2 + codes for DLC + patches, exactly as if you'd bought them individually when they were first released.

Yup. Bamco decided to name the actual remaster and the original version+DLC as the same thing. No intentions of tricking people into buying the exact same game again, I'm sure.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No poo poo? Sorry Dewgy, my bad.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Seeing as I always play the Souls series using a female character I can't find much reason to look into The Surge. If your character is going to be a bland, mute non-entity then you may as well have them be fully customisable.

This is such a weird statement. Do you avoid games with just male protagonists? Do you search all your games under "female protagonist" on Steam? Or is it stranger where you ONLY play Souls type games as a lady because.....?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Let's not be silly here, as much as everyone wants customization in these kinds of games, it isn't a goddamn bool you just flip to put it in your game. It's a substantial amount of work to implement customization, and lords of the fallen's gameplay needed work more badly than anything else. Customization would have been great, but on the list of ways lords of the fallen could have been improved, it's below a thousand other things that both would have been cheaper to implement and would have impacted the gameplay.

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's the only area in the entire series that I just never bothered to complete

haven't even seen the boss

Actually, you already have!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Having a character generator and not being able to make a female character in 2016 is pretty lovely and low effort tbh.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Glenn Quebec posted:

This is such a weird statement. Do you avoid games with just male protagonists? Do you search all your games under "female protagonist" on Steam? Or is it stranger where you ONLY play Souls type games as a lady because.....?

Dont start this.
There is no concievable outcome where you wont come out looking like a poo poo.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Just roll through some water

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Orv posted:

No poo poo? Sorry Dewgy, my bad.

I AM SO CONFUSED!

Though it's good to know that Aldrich still shows up in patched vanilla. Dude's kind of a big pain in the butt, so I may go the vanilla disc/no patches route.

...now that I think about it though, is Patches even in that game?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's more that one appeal of Souls is that you can be anyone want: a man, a woman, or a potato-person from Cyrodiil. When you have a game like Lords of the Fallen which bills itself as a Souls clone you're gonna be disappointed that it doesn't offer the same level of player-expression as a Souls game. On the reverse end of the spectrum there's the Witcher 3, which works because every story-beat and game-mechanic hinges on Geralt being a pre-existing character with a century of history to him.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Having a character generator and not being able to make a female character in 2016 is pretty lovely and low effort tbh.

Lords of the fallen does not have a character generator, and the things they've said during the surge's gameplay videos imply that it doesn't either.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Dewgy posted:

I AM SO CONFUSED!

Though it's good to know that Aldrich still shows up in patched vanilla. Dude's kind of a big pain in the butt, so I may go the vanilla disc/no patches route.

patches doesn't appear in ds2, but pate is a pretty obvious analogue.

also, pro tip: if you hate fighting aldia for whatever reason, you can skip his fight simply by killing nashandra before vendrick.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Dewgy posted:

Nope, it has the will-they won't-they (betray you) duo of Pate and Creighton instead.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

clearly patches is miyazaki, that's why he wasn't in ds2

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DatonKallandor posted:

Nope, it has the will-they won't-they (betray you) duo of Pate and Creighton instead.

Who are not nearly as good as Patches imo

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Kangarookie posted:

Who are not nearly as good as Patches imo

I dunno, I kinda liked that pate tried to maintain pausible deniability for his traps. patches' gimmick was funny at first but I'm kinda tired of it at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

patches doesn't appear in ds2, but pate is a pretty obvious analogue.

also, pro tip: if you hate fighting aldia for whatever reason, you can skip his fight simply by killing nashandra before vendrick.

Nice, thanks! The fight wasn't that bad but I didn't like it very much, so I'll keep that in mind for future runs.