Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/787754817061916672
an unintended good consequence in this evolving story.

No, it absolutely is not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Bash the Fash!

...unless it makes our team look bad.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

FactsAreUseless posted:

This doesn't justify it. Just admit you think violence is good when you like it.

Fascism is an existential threat to the modern world and should be resisted with all force. Do you think Germans shouldn't have used all possible means to resist Hitler?

However Donald Trump is currently on track to lose, and as such this was just stupid and unnecessary.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The hosed up justifications for a firebombing going on this thread is scary. You people need to take a step back if you're drawing anything "good" out of peoples right to vote being quelled on either side.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Three weeks of this insanity to go.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
That sucks. I want Trump to lose, but violence or destruction of property isn't the way. Especially when it means people don't get to vote. Firebombing is only acceptable when you are trying desperately to light a fire to not freeze, and only have this bottle with kerosene and an oily rag stuck in it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Someone from NC confirm this, but if the Trump campaign had completed abentee ballots in the office, wouldn't it be a violation of NC election law?

quote:

Mark Ballot, Fill out Certificate, Return in Envelope: You mark the Ballot with your choices in the presence of two witnesses (or notary public) who are at least 18 years old and not candidates in the election. The witnesses should not violate your privacy as you vote (unless you need assistance due to a disability); they must sign the certificate on the return envelope and provide their address. Make sure all parts of the form on the envelope are filled out, including your signature, then insert the Ballot in the envelope, and seal and return it as instructed to your county Board of Elections.

To be counted, the Ballot must be delivered to the local Board by 5 PM on Election Day, or it must be postmarked by Election Day and arrive in the mail by 5 PM three days later. The Ballot can be hand-delivered to an Early Voting location or the county Board of Elections office only by the voter or the voter’s near relative.

Likewise, incomplete ballots are mailed directly to the voter. There was no reason for absentee ballots to be in the Trump office.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Not celebrating anyone's votes being lost (even if they are for a terrible person), BUT if anything makes me think "false flag" in this situation, that's definitely it. It's almost too perfectly designed to rile up idiots. "Hillary directed her minions to burn up our building AND destroy our ballots! She's the devil!" :argh:

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Nucleic Acids posted:

It'll certainly direct attention away from those three men who were arrested for wanting to bomb that apartment complex and were willing to go so far as to shoot one year olds.

I certainly hope not. Do we have a thread for it anywhere?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Fascism is an existential threat to the modern world and should be resisted with all force. Do you think Germans shouldn't have used all possible means to resist Hitler?

However Donald Trump is currently on track to lose, and as such this was just stupid and unnecessary.

Actual fascism should be resisted with force, fascist rhetoric should be condemned with way cooler rhetoric, like rhetoric wearing Biden's aviators

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

For all we know the person doing the burning could have been the victim of actual racism or some poo poo at which point I don't think its fair for people on the internet judge with no knowledge or background the morality or idiocy of the act.

In some ways that speaks to how crazy this election is in that a reasonable number of Donald Trump supporters are outing themselves as crazy racists that do want to deport or kill brown people just for being born or stepping foot on their promised land.
Nope, gently caress that. If Trump had already won and his followers had just burned down the bomber's house, that would be one thing. As it stands they've taken a reasonable fear of Trump winning and responded by doing something which, to anyone with the brains of the average toddler, is both morally abhorrent and far more likely to help Trump rather than hurt him. It's possible it was a false flag, I guess, but I don't want to pin my hopes on it since you should never assume your own side is dipshit-free. But if the bomber was a leftist then I hope they loving rot in prison.

Lightning Knight posted:

No, but the American right wing has a history of fabricating attacks on themselves to garner sympathy and establish a "we're the real victims" narrative.
This sounds interesting - do you have links?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kind of hating people that are cheering on republican votes being burned up in a fire while attacking Donald Trump on calling the vote rigged. Do you want democracy or not?

every vote for trump is a throwaway vote anyway. he aint winning.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Not celebrating anyone's votes being lost (even if they are for a terrible person), BUT if anything makes me think "false flag" in this situation, that's definitely it. It's almost too perfectly designed to rile up idiots. "Hillary directed her minions to burn up our building AND destroy our ballots! She's the devil!" :argh:

no. stop. please.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Who the gently caress firebombs a campaign office then spraypaints the building next door in nice neat block letters "NAZI REPUBLICANS / LEAVE TOWN / OR ELSE"? Level writing, no vulgarity, the full term "republicans," even centering the lines below the lead.

That's the weirdest part of it. I can buy that someone would firebomb a political office. I can buy that someone would neatly and relatively verbosely vandalize a political office. It's weird as gently caress that someone did both at once. That's amazing control over your adrenaline.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Trump is going off on Ryan again. Guess he didn't hear about that fire yet.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The scariest portion of this election (among many scary things) is this final death throe where Hit...er, Trump has gone all-out to delegitimize the results of the election.

To an unhinged, room-temp IQ base that is already heavily armed, he is inciting violence with this reckless nonsense. Delegitimizing elections is like authoritarianism 101.

And this myopic, violent nonsense just galvanizes these bad opinions. This is a horrible development.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Did the article contain "Donald J. Trump?" Because he won't find out if it didn't ping the google alert.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

speng31b posted:

Actual fascism should be resisted with force, fascist rhetoric should be condemned with way cooler rhetoric, like rhetoric wearing Biden's aviators

I mean, I agree. Which is why I said this was dumb and unnecessary. At the present time we are not realistically under threat of fascists taking control.

quote:

This sounds interesting - do you have links?

Not presently because I'm on a phone, but look up the backwards B story from 2008, I believe was the year.

Alternatively there was this year a white church somewhere (I don't recall anymore) that was supposed tagged with silly anti-white people catchphrases as imagined by white people by "BLM thugs." I'm sure there's more.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Kind of hating people that are cheering on republican votes being burned up in a fire while attacking Donald Trump on calling the vote rigged. Do you want democracy or not?

It's one of the fundamental truths is that most people, don't want democracy. Mainly because everyone get's the vote. In general and in abstract a democracy is an incredible tool and a fantastic thing. But in particulars? I'd say most people don't care for it so much.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it does kinda suck that people that don't know anything or hate others for no reason get an equal vote to compassionate and educated people.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/radiofreetom/status/787715001289179136

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I can't believe that we actually have people cheerleading violence against Republicans and destroying votes. Then again, we apparently needed to spend multiple pages reminding people that free speech is actually a good thing, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/787754817061916672
an unintended good consequence in this evolving story.

the gop office shouldn't have sealed absentee ballots at all

the only people who can deliver them to the county board are the voter themselves or their relative or guardian and they have to sign off on it

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

SeANMcBAY posted:

Considering how every single thing he's commented on before has backfired in his face, maybe this time his handlers are waiting to get at least some degree of confirmation before they let him loose, in case it turns out that the suspect resembled a self confessed British political pimp.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I can't believe that we actually have people cheerleading violence against Republicans and destroying votes. Then again, we apparently needed to spend multiple pages reminding people that free speech is actually a good thing, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

the destruction of votes is only bad in the sense that it gives trump ammo. because he isn't winning so any vote for him is a waste.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

If the GOP had possession of any completed absentee ballots in that office, it would have been a felony:

quote:

Any person who shall, in connection with absentee voting in any election held in this State, do any of the acts or things declared in this section to be unlawful, shall be guilty of a Class I felony. It shall be unlawful:
For any person to take into that person's possession for delivery to a voter or
for return to a county board of elections the absentee ballot of any voter
, provided, however, that this prohibition shall not apply to a voter's near relative or the voter's verifiable legal guardian;

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Geoff Peterson posted:

To be clear-

Anyone who disagrees with you is against the cause?
Anyone who doesn't want violence is supporting your enemy?
The fascists surrounding Trump present an existential threat to our republic but are easily defeated?
The privileged centrists, an elite group?, are the enemies holding back progress and allowing fascists to prosper?
Taking action, any action, against the enemy is a noble endeavor?

Can we skip to the end where you smugly kick back and reveal yourself as the puppetmaster who made the stupid lefties all agree to fascism because they dislike Trump?

Fascists are an existential threat to any kind of government. Democracies in particular are vulnerable against them. Violence isn't a brave or noble answer, but it's the only kind of language the fascists will understand.

And yes, it is a privilege to live in a free country that has never been subject to fascism. I think in part because it's never really been a thing in the states, people don't actually comprehend how bad the fascists actually are. Someone in the UKMT summed up Brexit voters by their willingness to believe in untruths even with the vast amount of evidence in place that proves otherwise. I think that applies here as well.

I was hoping the fascists were gone forever, but we managed to gently caress it all up somehow and here they are. Trump won't be the last, by the way.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

How do you not believe this? We're not better than that. The thing that really makes us better is the fact that the rest of us spend pages condemning those comments and hand wringing about it. So really you should pat yourself on the back.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

FactsAreUseless posted:

This doesn't justify it. Just admit you think violence is good when you like it.

Violence is good when it's funny, as demonstrated in 90s award winning classic movie Man Getting Hit By A Football.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Trabisnikof posted:

Is it normal for a party to collect completed Absentee ballots in NC? I'm pretty sure that would be illegal in some states.

the reporter followed up on it

https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/787760661799510018
https://twitter.com/ajjaffe/status/787761336826654720

surprise surprise the gop spokesperson is either full of poo poo or just incompetent

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Mister Adequate posted:

Violence is good when it's funny, as demonstrated in 90s award winning classic movie Man Getting Hit By A Football.

The George C. Scott remake just didn't have the same spirit as the original.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

the gop office shouldn't have sealed absentee ballots at all

the only people who can deliver them to the county board are the voter themselves or their relative or guardian and they have to sign off on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku5iVU3zhLU

edit:Trump is melting down again too if anyone cares.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Trabisnikof posted:

If the GOP had possession of any completed absentee ballots in that office, it would have been a felony:

That makes this immensely more interesting, honestly.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Fascists are an existential threat to any kind of government. Democracies in particular are vulnerable against them. Violence isn't a brave or noble answer, but it's the only kind of language the fascists will understand.

And yes, it is a privilege to live in a free country that has never been subject to fascism. I think in part because it's never really been a thing in the states, people don't actually comprehend how bad the fascists actually are. Someone in the UKMT summed up Brexit voters by their willingness to believe in untruths even with the vast amount of evidence in place that proves otherwise. I think that applies here as well.

I was hoping the fascists were gone forever, but we managed to gently caress it all up somehow and here they are. Trump won't be the last, by the way.

I broadly agree with this. The potential need to resort to violence is never ideal, but that doesn't preclude it from being necessary against the greatest threats. Fascism is the greatest threat to our civilization there was ever been, period.

Remember: Hitler and his friends in Italy, Japan, etc. didn't have nuclear weapons. We do.

Trump may not be the last but this was their last chance to get elected fair and square. If they want in after this point they're going to need a new approach.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

i said that to point out the story was likely bullshit because it's a felony

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

surprise surprise the gop spokesperson is either full of poo poo or just incompetent

I'd say "oh please god let this start an investigation" but I think NC would only do that if it wasn't a GOP office...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Let's take a consequentilist look at the situation. In an abstract sense if the vote had gone differently in Florida back in 2000 and there'd been several thousand ballots lost due to a fire in George Bushes favour, would that be a negative thing, bearing in mind what's come out of all of that? I mean yeah it could always be worse results up to now, but would it be worth it based on the amount of people killed in the Middle East and the rise of ISIS? Would it be worth it? I don't know, and can't answer that, but it may very well have been for the betterment of mankind generally if that had happened.

Again I feel like I need to point out that these are purely hypothetical situations etc etc. But why are people on the "right" side not allowed to have two seconds of guilty "ha!" style pleasure without being immediately called on it. Whilst the other side is allowed to call for the mass disenfranchisement of minorities and the shooting dead of sports people and presidential candidates?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kind of weak - Jon Ronson mentions in his books a few examples of where Trump repeats lines from Alex Jones basically verbatim.

At worst, this sounds like an insane delusional person having as one of its delusions that they're influencing presidential candidate and extremely rich dude Donald Trump, which is not all that interesting.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

Unless you are a strict pacifist, so do you

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

"We may have been committing a felony, I'm not sure" doesn't seem like a thing likely to be said on the record by anyone who isn't a complete loving moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/787763497308418052

Clinton now entering into the coverup phase of her dastardly democraterror campaign.

• Locked thread