Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

kirtar posted:

I was watching a stream where an Ekko who was in placements straight up sat at fountain for like 3 minutes waiting for passive gold to combine Trinity Force. He had like 60 CS at 30 and thus had less gold than even the enemy support. He was also level 11 when people started hitting 18. Oh and he was going to go Trinity Force -> Ghostblade -> Black Cleaver.

I understood like 2/3s of why this guy is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Elentor posted:

Quest for the Jacket trip report: We've managed to upgrade ourselves from Gold II to Plat V. I don't think we're gonna make it.

Hey can you drop some hot takes on TT and how to win as a duo

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I understood like 2/3s of why this guy is dumb

He built AD marksman/bruiser items on an AP scaling champion instead of going either Trinity Force into tank or full AP.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I think Biowarfare posted an alt link somewhere in this thread
e: Guess not

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Hey can you drop some hot takes on TT and how to win as a duo

I could a year ago, right now I'm not sure if I'm the best person to do it. By hot takes do you mean an opinion or tips?

As for how to win as a duo, take it with a grain of salt - this held true for the past 3 years and from what I've seen in my past 20 or so TT matches this still holds true, but I >might< be wrong:

* The number one way to carry a TT match as a duo is to ban the really dangerous APs and champions that can corner an AD carry and play ADC + Support. ADC + Support is ridiculous, has always been, and I think it will always be as long as TT exists. There are two reasons - Jungle Control and Farm. Farming in TT is a severely limited endeavor because the map is so tiny, so jungle-centric and there are so many battles happening all the time. The laning phase is shorter, the teamfights are more constant, there is just not as much time to sit down and farm. For reference, at my peak I could reliably do 10-12 CS/min playing as Mid Zyra in a very high ranked team, and could only pull 6-7 CS/min on TT, 8 if I'm really sharp against people who can't apply pressure. Playing as a ADC + Support grants you a far easier time farming. Not only because it's an ADC, but also because you have access to your entire jungle as well.

Your tactic is to push your top lane faster than the solo enemy can do (especially because more often than not you're against a melee champion who can't do poo poo against your ADC), shoving the minions under his tower, then going off to grab your jungle and/or invading the enemy jungle. The enemy can either choose to defend (and lose one, two, or even three minion waves to tower) or to let you take jungle freely. You can see how this scales off well to the ADC team.

If you're going for "completely unfair" pick Braum+Graves. Braum is good on his own even if you're supporting a melee carry like Yasuo/Riven. Graves is good on his own even if you're going for solo lane/jungle.

Either way, you'll have to learn the intricacies of playing with a support which is very different from playing with a normal composition, but it's worth it in the long run.

* If you're going the standard comp, one of you two >has< to be the jungler. The jungler is the person who influences the match the most by a significant margin. It's easier to gank an overextended top lane than a bot lane, so if you want to min-max it, a top/jungler duo will probably work best.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Quinn mid first item Duskblade is the truth

flyingkiwi
Jun 1, 2012

Wowzers!

Teikanmi posted:

Quinn mid first item Duskblade is the truth

preach

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Trying to grind to gold has taught me that I am horrible at League of Legends.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

*sage nod* have you considered... getting good?

In all seriousness you should probably just identify something you do badly and focus on improving it in normals to the detriment of everything else. Back when I played ADC in like season 2, for a few dozen games I decided my goal was to never be out of position. I didn't win a ton of games because that meant I was too conservative, but when I went back to playing normally I was much less often randomly out of position. If you get ganked all the time, spend a few games where your goal is never dying in lane, or where your goal is to always try to find out where the jungler is and watch the replay to see if you're right. If you always lose tower first, try controlling waves or focusing on backing less, etc.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
If I wanted to pick just three supports to really focus on, which three would be the best to cover all my bases? I think I've already decided Janna is one of them, and that Braum is definitely not because I dislike playing him a lot.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

Give me your replays and I can try and figure out where you're awful

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Kill your bot lane 7 times because they suck

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

CubeTheory posted:

If I wanted to pick just three supports to really focus on, which three would be the best to cover all my bases? I think I've already decided Janna is one of them, and that Braum is definitely not because I dislike playing him a lot.

Sona for sustain and poke (good in bully lanes with MF/Caitlyn etc.) She is also very strong vs. AoE threats because she can constantly shield her whole team and give them +Armor and MR from windspeaker's constantly, her W power chord is also absurdly powerful at shutting down assassins and bruisers diving your ADC when combined with heal + shield + mikael's + locket. Taric is a fairly strong champion for taking hits and crowd control but you have to learn to land his stun and using his ult in a timely manner.

on Sona specifically I take Eye of the Watchers and then immediately get Aegis if an AP threat is getting out of control, Mikael's if an assassin is being annoying, Ardent Censer if I am snowballing, and then work towards the items I did not initially purchase. Finish off with a ZZrot portal or some other such thing and you become a beefy floaty music lady that constantly farts out unceasing heals, boosting your team's armor and mr and ruining the lives of all assassins attempting to dive your ADC with Exhaust + W power chord

How Rude fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 17, 2016

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Janna is excellent for peeling and protecting and late game protection, Nami is the premier lane bully at the moment and Alistar as your melee support seem like a decent three to play with.

Of course you should try them all but I think you lean a bit on more defensive supports so maybe Soraka as a 4th or over Alistar because you also indicate you don't like melee/short range supports

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Luna Was Here posted:

Give me your replays and I can try and figure out where you're awful

I feel like I mostly know the answer, which is that I am a bad laner, can't CS, and make poor mid and late game decisions. And I shouldn't be playing Viktor.

But have at it.

http://www.replay.gg/search/na/wharfinger

e: Oh also there are a couple games in there where I had a weird run of 1000+ ping spikes, so if you see really strange stuff that's why.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 17, 2016

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Based on me trying to get out of bronze I've come I've come to the conclusion that you're gonna have to play a poo poo ton of games to move on up with a measly 65% or so win rate. Anyone who claims they got a rank that's plat+ in a few amount of games is full of poo poo and probably played hundreds of games some previous season(s).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Blitzcrank, Thresh, and Nautilus

Be the playmaker your parents wanted you to be

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Safety Scissors posted:

Based on me trying to get out of bronze I've come I've come to the conclusion that you're gonna have to play a poo poo ton of games to move on up with a measly 65% or so win rate. Anyone who claims they got a rank that's plat+ in a few amount of games is full of poo poo and probably played hundreds of games some previous season(s).

Serv and I have played innumerable amounts of league of legends, yes

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Sexpansion posted:

And I shouldn't be playing Viktor.

I have identified one mistake.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You can get gold solely by learning how to last hit and winning on the gold advantage that you get from that alone

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
this is a little known fact but you can actually get gold quite simply if you just whistle a tune into a discarded sea shell and throw it into the ocean

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Hello friends! Watching esports and getting a new computer has gotten my appetite to try league after a roughly 6 month hiatus. What are the good resources to go to in order to get my bearings with regards to masteries/runes/major things to watch out for?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
champion.gg
op.gg
bestbans.com

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

Dragongem posted:

Hello friends! Watching esports and getting a new computer has gotten my appetite to try league after a roughly 6 month hiatus. What are the good resources to go to in order to get my bearings with regards to masteries/runes/major things to watch out for?

http://champion.gg/ -- Gives runes, masteries, and items for champs based on current patch data.

http://lolalytics.com/ -- Gives exhaustive information on champions.

http://www.probuilds.net/ -- You can look up pro players builds on a per champion basis.

Those are the sites I use.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

Anyone who claims they got a rank that's plat+ in a few amount of games is full of poo poo and probably played hundreds of games some previous season(s).

I mean it somewhat depends in whether or not you tank your MMR or poo poo up placements. I can pretty easily see sub100 or 75 game platinum accounts happening, even if you get in mid silver it only takes like 50 ish wins provided you don't lose at the same rate you win, and, if you really are plat, silver and gold players are like toys to you. It's especially easy if you have like one or two picks you can do every game because if you're really good at those picks the games are over in like 10 minutes because you're going like 10-0 and rolling matches.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Safety Scissors posted:

I mean, depends what you mean. If you mean "your MMR moves too slow everyone has to grind pure number of games" then no, but if you mean "you're not gonna be good enough to breeze into plat if you a haven't played a ton of league games" then yeah. If you're actually posting 65% winrate you'll be flying up in ranks in like dozens of games, not hundreds unless you've lost like ten million games in every season so you're gaining a fraction of what you lose.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Hi, I want to pick up a new champ. Please recommend me a champ that can

*easily waveclear/farm gold/cs
*can be build tanky/damage
*cute
*good roams

dblankenship81
Mar 1, 2013

dblankenship81 posted:

Anyone around high gold that wants to ranked? Trying my damnedest to push to Plat again spamming Ryze top and my LP's starting to look like an EKG.

Dislikes: Yasuo mostly

Work til ~5 Central time

It was a lonely climb, but I made it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tired Moritz posted:

*cute
*good roams

Fizz? His waveclear's not amazing but his e generally wipes the wave if you have some AP behind it and he hits all the other points.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Tired Moritz posted:

*cute
*good roams

can't really build Ahri tanky but everything else fits.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Aurelion Sol is cute if you like dragons, I guess.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

im trying to get my account back to diamond and i have about 80% winrate in plat because i stopped playing top lane and now i never tilt

funny how these things work

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Radical posted:

im trying to get my account back to diamond and i have about 80% winrate in plat because i stopped playing top lane and now i never tilt

funny how these things work

You got out at the right time, gently caress the current top meta. Kennen and James Jayce are such a pain in the rear end. I can't believe I actually miss Gangplank and Ekko.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Serv and I have played innumerable amounts of league of legends, yes

I've played a lot less ranked I believe than you but I don't think you started back in S1. I make up for it in sheer volume of normals played though, being unemployed for a year does that though

Also the absolute best player in our community who has since quit as far as I know grinded out around two thousand games one season to go from silver to challenger so yes unless you're insanely talented out of the gate there's effort that needs to be applied to getting better and that means lots of games

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Servaetes posted:

I've played a lot less ranked I believe than you but I don't think you started back in S1. I make up for it in sheer volume of normals played though, being unemployed for a year does that though

Also the absolute best player in our community who has since quit as far as I know grinded out around two thousand games one season to go from silver to challenger so yes unless you're insanely talented out of the gate there's effort that needs to be applied to getting better and that means lots of games

Who was that?

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You got out at the right time, gently caress the current top meta. Kennen and James Jayce are such a pain in the rear end. I can't believe I actually miss Gangplank and Ekko.

i swapped one game so a duo queue could lane together and played kennen top against a rumble and started that game like 4/0, it was pretty alright but kennen was what i spammed to get to diamond the first time this season. i dont really play anything else meta but hes banned too much for me to really play top anymore without learning some new champs.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Sexpansion posted:

Who was that?
the nasus guy i bet

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

Who was that?

The only challenger goon I know of who I haven't seen in ages is IRL Cat NA or whatever his name was. Had a moose avatar? I don't remember the forum name.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

*cute
*good roams

Do you play gnar yet? Probably best bet.

Separately, what's the best way to get one-off runes/masteries for way off-meta picks. Ive been playing kassadin jungle in normals games when my friends and I are the majority of the team, but there its almost impossible to get any detail on what to pick on him.

I ended up just trying to brute force copy rush's starting stats by looking at his stat bar while waiting for krugs to spawn on stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I mean, depends what you mean. If you mean "your MMR moves too slow everyone has to grind pure number of games" then no, but if you mean "you're not gonna be good enough to breeze into plat if you a haven't played a ton of league games" then yeah. If you're actually posting 65% winrate you'll be flying up in ranks in like dozens of games, not hundreds unless you've lost like ten million games in every season so you're gaining a fraction of what you lose.

idk. You're looking at a dozen games just to move up a division. You'll get like 22-24lp per win and lose like 12-14 lp per loss. So that's like 34-35lp every three games. That means it's nine games to get to a promo series and three more to win it. I have no idea if that's flying to you, but you only get 8 dozens before you get into hundreds.

• Locked thread