Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Look, can we house and feed and educate and assimilate these refugees? If yes, good - let's be a 1st world country and bring them out of the cold.

If to an extent, bring in as many as we can. Try not to bring in so many that we end up with the Calais issue, it doesn't help anyone.

If not, put it on hold until we can.

I'm probably oversimplifying it, but is there a way we can juggle both immigrants and refugees to a practical standard?

(Totally for zoning reform. Auckland's a city of business, not some goddamn Arcadia. Go to Wellington if you want scenic views)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
We could build some more loving houses, rather than blaming immigrants because it lets crypto-racists and xenophobes pretend like they're doing something for brown people they've never met and don't want to.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Seems to me that none of you fuckers care about the hundreds of homeless dogs in this country.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

Look, can we house and feed and educate and assimilate these refugees? If yes, good - let's be a 1st world country and bring them out of the cold.

If to an extent, bring in as many as we can. Try not to bring in so many that we end up with the Calais issue, it doesn't help anyone.

If not, put it on hold until we can.

I'm probably oversimplifying it, but is there a way we can juggle both immigrants and refugees to a practical standard?

(Totally for zoning reform. Auckland's a city of business, not some goddamn Arcadia. Go to Wellington if you want scenic views)

We're not talking about refugees, we're talking about migrants coming through skills and partnership routes.

It's not about blame, that's for small children and politicians to worry about. It's about doing every single possible thing to solve an issue that is permanently ruining people's lives as quickly as possible.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

We're not talking about refugees, we're talking about migrants coming through skills and partnership routes.

It's not about blame, that's for small children and politicians to worry about. It's about doing every single possible thing to solve an issue that is permanently ruining people's lives as quickly as possible.

And yet you're blaming migrants for the housing crisis, you repulsive sack of poo poo. It figures that when the alt-right arrived in New Zealand it would be eight months late and retarded.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It's rather difficult to do anything for other people on a national scale when about 44% of the country is voting for an utter shitbag.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

And yet you're blaming migrants for the housing crisis, you repulsive sack of poo poo. It figures that when the alt-right arrived in New Zealand it would be eight months late and retarded.

I've not done that once in a single post. I have said lowering entry for a short period of time would resolve it. You are literally raging against a machine that's not even plugged in.

I'll eat a month probe if you can quote a post where I've said that migrants caused the crisis. Mods?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"If we pause residence applications for two years we could end the housing crisis immediately (90,0000 apps a year, shortfall for the next 20 years is 200,000 homes), and you can live in a house instead of a van"

Ahahaha what.

I live in auckland btw.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

I do get where you're coming from, but why exactly should, when looking to solve these issues, immigration not be a 'dial' that we can alter through thoughtful discussion and consideration on the specifics?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

I've not done that once in a single post. I have said lowering entry for a short period of time would resolve it. You are literally raging against a machine that's not even plugged in.

I'll eat a month probe if you can quote a post where I've said that migrants caused the crisis. Mods?

quote:

"If we pause residence applications for two years we could end the housing crisis immediately (90,0000 apps a year, shortfall for the next 20 years is 200,000 homes), and you can live in a house instead of a van"

"They're not to blame for the housing crisis, it's just that if we didn't have any for a couple of years the housing crisis would go away, almost as if they had some causal link."

You're going to split hairs and try and wriggle out of this, because you're not only an idiot, a racist and a xenophobe, you're also a coward.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Build more houses and crack down on property speculation imo

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

You're going to split hairs and try and wriggle out of this, because you're not only an idiot, a racist and a xenophobe, you're also a coward.
Can you cool your loving jets? Jesus every single thing you post is like this. Like, I agree with you on a lot of points but you're making me feel like an rear end in a top hat by association.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

WE B Boo-ourgeois posted:

Which is, of course, part of that larger plan I posted about earlier. I don't think anyone here has suggested that reconsidering our immigration levels would be the only thing that needs to be done.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

"They're not to blame for the housing crisis, it's just that if we didn't have any for a couple of years the housing crisis would go away, almost as if they had some causal link."

No.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

By this logic you enjoy the suffering of children.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

Can you cool your loving jets? Jesus every single thing you post is like this. Like, I agree with you on a lot of points but you're making me feel like an rear end in a top hat by association.

This is why people vote national

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

This is why people vote national
You can be less of an rear end in a top hat too kthx

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

You can be less of an rear end in a top hat too kthx

Fair

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Honestly, though, where would be the best place for high-rises if we never get zoning consent for the CBD?

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba posted:

Honestly, though, where would be the best place for high-rises if we never get zoning consent for the CBD?

Remuera. I think we can all get behind this.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Building more house is a good idea and it'll keep me employed.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Remuera. I think we can all get behind this.

I'unno, Newmarket's pretty good for the trains. But the trains are kinda overloaded as-is.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm going to be different and suggest that the Libertarian approach to the housing crisis will never work.

The solution we've been failing with is "build more houses" and you won't course correct it by building more houses. Build less houses, but more homes.

Don't just piss in the wind about freeing up land and imagining developers will deliver on the other end. Aggressively pursue effectively abandoned lots, of which there are several in the inner city, and finance the construction of affordable high density homes through the arm of government that was literally established to do exactly that.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I don't think it's that weird a suggestion: there's a ton of empty housing in Auckland, because people are using them as investments rather than homes. Build less houses, but push ways to get the current empty houses onto the market.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
How about some tax reform or something instead of blaming people who are the wrong colour. We're all immigrants to this country (technically at least ;) )

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Robo Captain posted:

Building more house is a good idea and it'll keep me employed.

This, but on the other hand once houses reach more of an equilibrium hope you know how to do something else as well

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

I don't think it's that weird a suggestion: there's a ton of empty housing in Auckland, because people are using them as investments rather than homes. Build less houses, but push ways to get the current empty houses onto the market.

Sieze investment properties, mansions, and other wastes of space through excessive destructive and lethal force, build hideous brutalist concrete housing structures in the craters that remain, let Auckland show its true face

Do the same in Wellington because brutalist structures are rad and cool

E:

bobbilljim posted:

How about some tax reform or something instead of blaming people who are the wrong colour. We're all immigrants to this country (technically at least ;) )

Sorry, not me, I was there to witness the first canoes landing, I can safely say that white people should gently caress off.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

WE B Boo-ourgeois posted:

BUT IMMIGRANTS

Somfin posted:

Sieze investment properties, mansions, and other wastes of space through excessive destructive and lethal force, build hideous brutalist concrete housing structures in the craters that remain, let Auckland show its true face

This is my poo poo.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt

Somfin posted:

Agreed. Someone suggested to me the other day that we should just start building new cities in the middle of nowhere, instead of endlessly trying to expand the existing ones. It's an impractical idea for many reasons, but I kind of like it. The ancient Roman approach to solving a housing crisis.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Somfin posted:

E:

Sorry, not me, I was there to witness the first canoes landing, I can safely say that white people should gently caress off.

expropriation, i like it

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

... did I do that? I support a capital gains tax. Also:

Somfin posted:

Finally somebody is talking some loving sense in this thread.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Just gonna throw this out there: Vancouver house prices had fallen by 16% two months after they put a 15% tax on foreign buyers.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Somfin posted:

Man, I never understood that bit from Wolfenstein: The New Order. Berlin looked rad as gently caress.

They were right about it needing more trees though.

:fap:

Needs more glass though.

bike tory posted:

Just gonna throw this out there: Vancouver house prices had fallen by 16% two months after they put a 15% tax on foreign buyers.

Now this I can get behind. Although considering that we have right-wing in power...

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

... did I do that? I support a capital gains tax. Also:

Finally somebody is talking some loving sense in this thread.

It was aimed at the racist currently known as "whiter than a Wilco show"

Somfin posted:

Agreed, but just eradicate wellington entirely. It's the only way to be sure.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

bobbilljim posted:

Agreed, but just eradicate wellington entirely. It's the only way to be sure.

Keep all Wellington destruction confined to lower Thorndon please

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Let me sell my house in lower Thornton first tia

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

"If we pause residence applications for two years we could cause an instant recession!"

WarpedNaba posted:

Ports of Auckland would be good if the reclaimed ground is any good. I do think it's good to have some industry in the middle of town to remind the corporate types that real people have to work for a living, but bugger it, Whangarei would benefit more from it than us. Can't say I'd shed a tear if Sylvia Park was razed to the ground and given a purpose of more benefit to the city either.

I think that one area government intervention would help is making it attractive for migrants to settle down country. Can't be bothered finding the stats rn, but I think most don't make it out of Auckland, aside from a few populations that settle in groups in various towns.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bike tory posted:

Let me sell my house in lower Thornton first tia

*Pod person scream*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Calling for a lower immigration rate is not the same as being anti-immigrant, does basic poo poo like this really need to be spelled out.

• Locked thread