Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

:aaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Red Dead Retrovirus: A Zombie Story by Telltale Games.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

They literally already did a zombie expansion for Red Dead Redemption.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I said come in! posted:

I still maintain this is Bully 2. The premise is that now the school has gone on a field trip.

Bully 2: Cyberbully :pcgaming:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

mutata posted:

Snak posted:

I was thinking that the first teaser image was a possible zombie expansion for GTA 5. The newest image def looks like SOMETHING from Red Dead Etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hahahah beautiful.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I can't handle the anticipation :negative:.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Anyway, those silhouettes don't match RDR's characters so at least we can be sure it's a sequel and not just a PS4 re-release or something.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

will we get to be all of the magnificent seven in gtav style

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I know nothing about Red Dead Redemption, was it actually all that popular?

And if it was so popular, why wasn't it released on PC?? :smuggo:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Ahh nice; hope it's a character-switching ensemble-type affair

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

oddium posted:

will we get to be all of the magnificent seven in gtav style

holy poo poo I'd love a Magnificent Seven game by Rockstar

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Jay Rust posted:

It was expected to be a failure but sold really well (10+M copies) and was also really loving good.

It had a pretty rough development and the engine was a mess, which lead to a lot of bugs on release and made it uneconomical to port to PC.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

It's loving fantastic and pretty drat popular. The code's evidently a complete mess tho, so no PC port. With the newest image it's definitely a sequel, though it'd be nice to have a PS4 port of RDR so that I can retire my 360 version.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Jay Rust posted:

It had a really good story while maintaining Rockstar's mocap and dialogue quality without going overboard with parodies and heavy-handed sarcasm. There was still a lot of humor in it but the balance lied in a different point than in GTA, it was a pretty serious game at heart. It helped that the protagonist was interesting and relatable and had an actual character arc. Basically most of the missions and side-content in the game played out exactly like they would in Western movies.

It turned out that GTA's shooting worked better in a more focused combat in open areas instead of a chaotic city and there were some cool touches added to it that made it more enjoyable (slow-mo). Overall the game didn't rely on random activities as heavily as GTA mainly because prairie is a much more empty place than city that can distract you with something on every street so they made a wise decision of creating a lot of custom-made encounters. Sure that there was some usual open-world jank as well but again the proportion was different and even filler activities like hunting down animals were kinda neat because they were rooted in the game's survival premise instead of being some random arcade mini-games.

Another thing was that they nailed horse riding and if you like how environments in GTA 5 look then RDR was a predecessor of that quality so you had a lot of moments when you felt like you're riding through a movie setting (atmospheric music helped here as well).

Overall it was a pretty focused game for an open-world title and was additionally very consistently executed while not missing the mark too many times.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 17, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i always meant to play with the minimap/waypoints off but i never got around to it

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

MinibarMatchman posted:

holy poo poo I'd love a Magnificent Seven game by Rockstar

Why stop there when they could do all the Akira Kurosawa inspired Westerns.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Snak posted:

And Telltale has made zombie adventure games already! It's perfect!

Edit: Whatever it is, if it follows common Rockstar timetables, it's at LEAST 2 years away from release and then another 1-2 years away from PC release after that, so I'll look forward to playing it next election year.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I said come in! posted:

You can't invest in Kickstarter tho because you don't get any money back in return. If you're really lucky you'll actually get what you paid for. Kickstarter is where bad idea's go to scam people who do not know better. If a game publisher wouldn't fund that game then you should probably ask yourself why you would want to do the same.

We've got some hot takes from 2013 in here.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ometeotl posted:

Indeed. We have known since 2013 that people who treat crowdfunding like an investment are rubes and that you should always scrutinize the situation closely when someone like Tim Schafer who has money, industry experience, and insider connections comes out and is like "look just whoever give us some money to publish this thing thanks".

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Kickstarter games do seem to turn out pretty bad most of the time though

Maybe it's better with non video game stuff. I gave $10 to a band who wanted to release an album then the singer got hit in the throat with a hockey puck and could never sing again or something

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The publishers are holding development back! Crowdfunding will bring power to the people! Finally games won't just be made for players, but funded by players!

*Mighty #9 ensues*

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

We got Shovel Knight out of Kickstarter so it is already worthwhile.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

With a few exceptions, non-game Kickstarters are low-ask, low-risk, low-drama affairs. It's hilarious how different they are. Gaming Kickstarter is the "that one aunt who's always in and out of jail and living with different methods addicts" of the Kickstarter family.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

well the best kickstarter game, barkley 2, hasn't come out yet so i think it's still a little early to declare kickstarter doesn't work

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Has anyone played Obduction, speaking of Kickstarter games?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crusader posted:

Holding out for:

Yeah Westworld has me really hankering for a good western game. Comeon new Red Dead.

A westworld MMO would be an interesting idea. Like, a modern mmo-light game anyways.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ahh nice; hope it's a character-switching ensemble-type affair

Same, also hope they use the character-switching mechanic to finally have a playable lady in a Rockstar game.

Really don't get why they didn't in 5.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 17, 2016

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I guess Kickstarter has been pretty sweet for me as a gamer. Once in a while it produces a good game that, while I didn't fund, I just can just buy the old fashion way. So it's not like I lose anything. More often it produces a bad game or fails to produce a game at all and I get to mock and ridicule the people that supported it.

Win-win scenario.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

With a few exceptions, non-game Kickstarters are low-ask, low-risk, low-drama affairs. It's hilarious how different they are. Gaming Kickstarter is the "that one aunt who's always in and out of jail and living with different methods addicts" of the Kickstarter family.

I mean, part of it is just the nature of the product. The kind of videogames most people want to play are often very expensive, time-consuming, difficult things to make in ways that enthusiasts are only dimly aware of. Just ensuring a minimum standard of compatibility with a variety of PC hardware has got to be a pain in the rear end, which is a wrinkle that something like a film or graphic novel doesn't have to deal with.

I like to think of Kickstarter as a win/win, as a person who almost never crowdfunds anything, though. If crowdfunded games turn out poorly, I didn't pay for them. If they turn out well... I can buy a good game that might not have been made otherwise. No sense in losing sleep over something that's win/win.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

Kickstarter games do seem to turn out pretty bad most of the time though

Maybe it's better with non video game stuff. I gave $10 to a band who wanted to release an album then the singer got hit in the throat with a hockey puck and could never sing again or something

a lot of games i like are kickstarter games but they're not ones with huge ambitious bullshit plans that are impossible, aka the ones you'll see covered by the news

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bicyclops posted:

Has anyone played Obduction, speaking of Kickstarter games?

I have it but I've been so drat busy with PSVR and retro games and Shadow Warrior 2 so I've barely touched it :smith:

I really need to play it more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

I guess Kickstarter has been pretty sweet for me as a gamer. Once in a while it produces a good game that, while I didn't fund, I just can just buy the old fashion way. So it's not like I lose anything. More often it produces a bad game or fails to produce a game at all and I get to mock and ridicule the people that supported it.

Win-win scenario.

Yeah, same.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

"i want to make a game like myst, i need 5k" vs "I want to make an entire universe and mark hamill will be in it" you can see why one would get more press

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

didn't ftl ask for a tiny amount and got like a million. ftl was kickstarter right

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I remember one game's kickstarter was literally to pay the fees for game maker so he could release the game commercially. it was like fifty bucks and it was adorable

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I have it but I've been so drat busy with PSVR and retro games and Shadow Warrior 2 so I've barely touched it :smith:

I really need to play it more.

I want to know what people think of it because I loved the Myst games but Myst 5 was really bad, and while the base game of Uru is pretty good, they were clearly way off the mark for what they were going for. I'm hoping they found there way again in the long break. Normal reviews are hard to read because there's all this "Do we really need soemthing else in this genre?" poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

a lot of games i like are kickstarter games but they're not ones with huge ambitious bullshit plans that are impossible, aka the ones you'll see covered by the news

Yeah I funded Knock Knock and was very happy, and I am eagerly awaiting the new Pathologic, a sentence I could probably never type without the existence of Kickstarter

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The goon who did Dropsy did it via kickstarter, and he got a new game funded this month, so in a few years I'll get a bizarro "what if geocities/angelfire never died" cyberpunk cybercop game which I'm really looking forward to. I can't imagine any normal publisher going for that kind of game, so it's great kickstarter exists to make it happen!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Red Dead sequel is gonna be amazing I'm sure but I very much wish they would do a PS4 remaster of RDR because goddamn what a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm honestly worried about Red Dead Revisited, because I hated GTAV... But I'm a sucker for the western setting, so, we'll see.

• Locked thread