Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

On the other hand kickstarter means there are more sad stories you can watch unfold. Like the latest Arcen project: AI War II, which isn't going to get funded because they picked a bad time for it, AI War doesn't have that many fans, and they bled off goodwill for their studio by releasing a steady chain of games that not very many people liked.

Which is unfortunate because it looks like a cool game. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bicyclops posted:

I want to know what people think of it because I loved the Myst games but Myst 5 was really bad, and while the base game of Uru is pretty good, they were clearly way off the mark for what they were going for. I'm hoping they found there way again in the long break. Normal reviews are hard to read because there's all this "Do we really need soemthing else in this genre?" poo poo.

Yeah, 5 lost what Myst was and tried too many different things (free FPS, writing on tablets, etc.), same with Uru (should have been single player)

Myst just needs to be Myst. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I think the reviewers really are to blame. Its the same with Musou games, every time they put out a Dynasty Warriors you've got IGN and crew making GBS threads on it going "this, again? Everything is the same" and yet for fans of Musou, that's what we want! That's fine! Shut up! Just give me more characters, better graphics, and new levels.

And the hypocrisy is its not like CoD isn't the same exact game every year, but they somehow tolerate it for FPS more? Even though games like Myst / Musou are more original and effectively their own genre by comparison? :psyduck:

But Obduction really seems like they're going back to the Myst roots, so yeah.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
That Which Sleeps

lol

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Kickstarter can be stupid and sometimes things don't end up well but if you think Kickstarter has not produced some cool games that wouldn't have been made otherwise, you're just as stupid as those that think every Kickstarter will be great.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Bury me with my (Kickstarter) money

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, 5 lost what Myst was and tried too many different things (free FPS, writing on tablets, etc.), same with Uru (should have been single player)

Myst just needs to be Myst. Don't fix what ain't broke.

I think the reviewers really are to blame. Its the same with Musou games, every time they put out a Dynasty Warriors you've got IGN and crew making GBS threads on it going "this, again? Everything is the same" and yet for fans of Musou, that's what we want! That's fine! Shut up! Just give me more characters, better graphics, and new levels.

And the hypocrisy is its not like CoD isn't the same exact game every year, but they somehow tolerate it for FPS more? Even though games like Myst / Musou are more original and effectively their own genre by comparison? :psyduck:

But Obduction really seems like they're going back to the Myst roots, so yeah.

The Uru single player is actually really good if you can get past the horrible clunky controls and the really ancient graphics. It doesn't really have an ending, obviously, but that's kind of okay.

I want Musou games to be easier! I played a ton of the Zelda one until it got too frustrating. I just want to mash buttons and earn some fuckin' points. If the difficulty were a little lower, I'd buy the expansions for it until the end of time.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

COD has been getting poo poo on by reviewers for like half a decade at this point though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hyrule Warriors is surprisingly one of the tougher recent Warriors games, just beating the stages isn't too bad, though you do have to do a lot of plate juggling, but getting A ranks to unlock everything in Adventure maps becomes insane after a while. Either of the last mainline Dynasty or Samurai games is easier.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Hyrule Warriors is surprisingly one of the tougher recent Warriors games, just beating the stages isn't too bad, though you do have to do a lot of plate juggling, but getting A ranks to unlock everything in Adventure maps becomes insane after a while. Either of the last mainline Dynasty or Samurai games is easier.

The addition in Pirate Warriors 3 of just putting your current rank in the corner was a god send HW really could have used (it helps that PW3 also got rid of taking damage effecting your rank).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is DQ Heroes hard? It's always on sale these days and with DQ7 and DQBuilders both going on right now I might as well achieve Peak Toriyama.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

precision posted:

Is DQ Heroes hard? It's always on sale these days and with DQ7 and DQBuilders both going on right now I might as well achieve Peak Toriyama.

Also interested in this question, because I will mash the buttons on my keyboard to slaughter slimes until I equipped with the best Zenithian Armor

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The post game stuff is but the main campaign wasn't too difficult

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

eh, the post-game stuff is most of the game, though. I think I spent like a couple of hours on it in Zelda and thenlike 60- hours on Adventure mode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hate games that show your completion rate on the menu. Rise of the 2mb Raider says I'm already at 10% and I literally just got to the first real area. :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

eh, the post-game stuff is most of the game, though. I think I spent like a couple of hours on it in Zelda and thenlike 60- hours on Adventure mode

DQH is more substantial in that regards. I think my playtime was around 30 or so hours and I didn't do any post game stuff.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

I hate games that show your completion rate on the menu. Rise of the 2mb Raider says I'm already at 10% and I literally just got to the first real area. :(

If it's makes you feel better those percentage are usually just tied to Really-Not-Representative-At-All metrics like "completed achievements/total achievements". So when you get that slew of "babby's first" achievements after 10 minutes of gameplay it's just a big jump that will quickly slow down (and culminate in you finishing the game while showing 60%).

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

precision posted:

I live to watch those numbers go slowly towards 100% :getin:

70 onward is always a good time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chomp8645 posted:

If it's makes you feel better those percentage are usually just tied to Really-Not-Representative-At-All metrics like "completed achievements/total achievements". So when you get that slew of "babby's first" achievements after 10 minutes of gameplay it's just a big jump that will quickly slow down (and culminate in you finishing the game while showing 60%).

Otherwise known as "the Yakuza effect". Either yakuza 4 or 5 I finished with something hilarious like 100 hours played and 30% completion

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

codenameFANGIO posted:

70 onward is always a good time.

MGSV was a good one for this, the last 10% took like 30 hours of playing or something. Well the last 1% was me letting the game idle for 24 hours while it built a nuke

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know it occurs to me I would love a game that's basically DQ Builders but with Tomb Raider's combat and resource gathering.

But also Builders should have a "turn based mode" option

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lara Croft: Tomb RaiderBuilder

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

precision posted:

The percentage never seems to make sense to me so I just ignore it. I never know which games measure progress of just the main storyline or progress towards completing every last little thing so what's the point.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

glam rock hamhock posted:

Kickstarter can be stupid and sometimes things don't end up well but if you think Kickstarter has not produced some cool games that wouldn't have been made otherwise, you're just as stupid as those that think every Kickstarter will be great.
kickstarter also has a list of games funded on the service that made it to release so you can go down the list and go 'liked it hated it liked it liked it hated it hated it'

https://www.kickstarter.com/play

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hello everyone, I had to call in sick today at work and I'm going to play Digimon Story for the first time. Anything I should know?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

codenameFANGIO posted:

I use my phone calculator to give me a percent on games that don't have it, so I know exactly what percent I have when I've got, say, 89 out of 120 stars. :hellyeah:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My brain feels real good when when I adjust my Google Drive spreadsheet to add an additional quest completed in a Bethesda game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Bicyclops posted:

I use my phone calculator to give me a percent on games that don't have it, so I know exactly what percent I have when I've got, say, 89 out of 120 stars. :hellyeah:

i don't want to be rude here but PM's aren't working... can you really not do 89/120 in your head ...........

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

i don't want to be rude here but PM's aren't working... can you really not do 89/120 in your head ...........

I'm spoiled by spreadsheets doing things for me, so unless it's something like 90 or 100 that doesn't involve decimal points, I don't want to take a break from my gaming to do math.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ah yeah i'm just yanking the old chain. jerking the leg as it were. joshing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they kept telling me "oh you'll need this in real life trust me look at all these practical applications of math" but i haven't done an integral since high school

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

oddium posted:

A calculator can do it much faster, as with all math.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Math problems are just another form of puzzle game!,

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hello everyone, I had to call in sick today at work and I'm going to play Digimon Story for the first time. Anything I should know?

When your dudes plateau in levels for where you are in the story you should devolve them and chuck em in the farm to get more stats. They have an Ability score which only goes up when you evolve them, and it sets maximum stats/levels plus is needed for the final evolved forms, so tediously grinding your dudes early on will just mean doing more tedious grinding later. So basically try to have two parties you rotate between for best results.

Oh yeah and you can get all the starters later so just pick the one you like.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A calculator can't tell you that the DS version of Mario 64 has 150 stars so you made the right choice posting here

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

if you try to have a calculator calculate donkey kong country completions it'll melt down (calculators don't have the artistic liberty of expressing 101/102/103%)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Looper posted:

they kept telling me "oh you'll need this in real life trust me look at all these practical applications of math" but i haven't done an integral since high school

all the math I do for work and my own budget is pretty basic, and the more complicated math all involves keeping track of hidden numbers in video games lol.

like doing quarterly accruals or even converting credit hours is elementary school stuff but some video games make me reach into my high school days

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Looper posted:

They're useful later in life if you want a great paycheck :cheeky:

oddium posted:

if you try to have a calculator calculate donkey kong country completions it'll melt down (calculators don't have the artistic liberty of expressing 101/102/103%)

Sure they do, if you do the math right.

101/100 = 1.01

Expressed as a percentage 1.01 x 100 = 101%

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I started learning how to program/code video games as a side hobby I figured "oh no, I'm going to h ave to do all that math stuff I hated in high school". But then I realized that I am sitting at a computer and I can just make the computer do the math for me. v:geno:v

edit: "You're not going to always have a scientific calculator in your pocket", said my high school teacher before the invention of smartphones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I wish I didn't have to do integrals anymore. gently caress thermodynamics.

• Locked thread