Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

quote:

"I promise you that we will be united against any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up," McCain said. "I promise you. This is where we need the majority and Pat Toomey is probably as articulate and effective on the floor of the Senate as anyone I have encountered."

So that'll be the money line for when the Dems abolish the filibuster if they take the senate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I really hope Hillary keeps Lynch . She isn't perfect but she's trying to the best with what she's got and I appreciate it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Pages ago, but this was one of four anti-Trump signs I saw on the course in St. Louis when I was there, including one in the richest part of town that we ran through.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 17, 2016

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

boner confessor posted:

eventually the republican leadership is going to have to recognize that this strategy simply doesn't work, unless the party leadership has secretly given up on the presidency and are just trying to slum it up in the many states

They've known this since 2012 but appealing to women and minorities for long term gain is way too hard and rolling around in the Drudge/Fox/FWDFWDFWD poo poo pile is easier and seems to have kept them in power in the states and Congress in the short term.

State, local and congressional GOP incumbents are more than happy to keep this strategy going as long as it keeps them employed, and republican presidential hopefuls can sit and spin as far as they're concerned.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Between this and Bernie sharing the video of Paul Ryan talking about Bernie becoming Chairman of the Budget Committee, Bernie is throwing serious shade today and has made up for some of his earlier missteps in my mind. For once, the comments on Bernie's FB page weren't even dominated by the bernouts!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:berned:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Rhesus Pieces posted:

They've known this since 2012 but appealing to women and minorities for long term gain is way too hard and rolling around in the Drudge/Fox/FWDFWDFWD poo poo pile is easier and seems to have kept them in power in the states and Congress in the short term.

State, local and congressional GOP incumbents are more than happy to keep this strategy going as long as it keeps them employed, and republican presidential hopefuls can sit and spin as far as they're concerned.

they've known this since 2008 but usually the gop can force a decent candidate through the primary. this time they got hijacked by mango mussolini and they're going to be poo poo loving scared of it happening again in 2020, because they really can't afford another cycle like this where their candidate is doing actual real damage to the party's coalition

rolling around in the right wing crazysphere doesn't win elections any more, it loses them

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Teddybear posted:

So that'll be the money line for when the Dems abolish the filibuster if they take the senate.

"Hey, yeah, we're already planning to extend a constitutional crisis we started, don't worry."

God, gently caress the GOP.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

FactsAreUseless posted:

NPR doesn't carry political advertising, unless the Herman Miller Aeron Chair Available In True Black is running for president.
It's currently polling above Jill Stein, so...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

comingafteryouall posted:

Between this and Bernie sharing the video of Paul Ryan talking about Bernie becoming Chairman of the Budget Committee, Bernie is throwing serious shade today and has made up for some of his earlier missteps in my mind. For once, the comments on Bernie's FB page weren't even dominated by the bernouts!

Perhaps he's realized/been convinced that the Senate really is a better place for his personal agenda than the White House would be.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
For me, the October surprise is Peter Theil is a power bottom.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Well count this as two votes for HRC in GA. Go early vote.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TyrantWD posted:

Tied in 2 states, and ahead in OH after all of last week's insanity is pretty drat good for Trump. With a Fox News debate coming up, this will be a relatively decent week for him.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No week with a debate has been a good week for Trump, even "relatively" so. Trump's "only" looking at a 330-350 EV and 4-5 point loss to Clinton right now. He's doing so well.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Teddybear posted:

My God this is utterly infuriating. The loving gall of these people

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

skylined! posted:

Well count this as two votes for HRC in GA. Go early vote.

Standing in line to early vote in GA right now :toot:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

haveblue posted:

Perhaps he's realized/been convinced that the Senate really is a better place for his personal agenda than the White House would be.

I also think he's pretty happy he's going to get to go down as one of the heroes who helped kick Trump's poo poo in.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Did Trump actually file suit on any of his threats?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

boner confessor posted:

they've known this since 2008 but usually the gop can force a decent candidate through the primary. this time they got hijacked by mango mussolini and they're going to be poo poo loving scared of it happening again in 2020, because they really can't afford another cycle like this where their candidate is doing actual real damage to the party's coalition

rolling around in the right wing crazysphere doesn't win elections any more, it loses them

I dunno, I still think we're going to see the GOP keep this nonsense up way longer than they should purely out of laziness and inertia. They know this poo poo is extremely bad for their party in the long term but as long as representative Cletus Bonemeal or governor Jebadiah Crumpf is still running in an R+9 state or district they'll take the path of least resistance right up until they lose.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

That and Paul Ryan's "threat" have actually ramped me up to vote more then ever. :bernin:

That and seeing senate odds on 538 reaching 70% and Reid's seat being projected to be retained is just concentrated Anti-Arzy

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Did Zoux die or something, I just realized I haven't read any of his/her/whatev's posts in weeks

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

sit on my Facebook posted:

My God this is utterly infuriating. The loving gall of these people

It's going to be great to hear all the tears about evil totalitarian Democrats abolishing the filibuster after they abuse it again.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Filthy Hans posted:

Did Zoux die or something, I just realized I haven't read any of his/her/whatev's posts in weeks

He got slapped down from being an IK in CSPAM and hasn't resurfaced since.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Filthy Hans posted:

Got banned for probating a mod in CSPAM.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The GOP will change, it's just not going to become a socially liberal pro-business party because there aren't enough voters interested in that, who are also not already deep Democrats, to win anything.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Radish posted:

Got banned for probating a mod in CSPAM.

oh my

Geology
Nov 6, 2005

Texas may have a Republican faithless elector this year, Chris Suprun. I wonder if there will be others.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Teddybear posted:

"I promise you that we will be united against any Supreme Court nominee that Hillary Clinton, if she were president, would put up," McCain said.

Is there anything to stop the GOP from blocking additional appointments if other justices retire or die? Could they just let the Supreme Court empty out?

At this point I can't see anything that will bring the right out of their death spiral. They've fed for so long on obstructionism and propaganda that they can't stop. They've groomed their base to expect nothing but hate hate hate and are too afraid that anything else will lose what support they still have. Without an outstanding leader emerging on the right they can only move more and more toward extremism.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Goatman Sacks posted:

New O'Keefe video is out, paints a narrative that the DNC is hiring mentally ill people to cause violence at Trump rallies.

Elephant in the room not addressed: how would you be able to tell?
So is this is the ATOM BOMB that O'Keefe was promising or do we have an even bigger wet fart to look forward to?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Is there anything to stop the GOP from blocking additional appointments if other justices retire or die? Could they just let the Supreme Court empty out?

At this point I can't see anything that will bring the right out of their death spiral. They've fed for so long on obstructionism and propaganda that they can't stop. They've groomed their base to expect nothing but hate hate hate and are too afraid that anything else will lose what support they still have. Without an outstanding leader emerging on the right they can only move more and more toward extremism.

If they have the Senate? No.

If they don't, dems can just nuke the fillibuster.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

So is this is the ATOM BOMB that O'Keefe was promising or do we have an even bigger wet fart to look forward to?

He titled the video "Rigging the Election I", implying there will be sequels.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dick Trauma posted:

Only losing their majority or nerve.

If they let the Court empty out, at 5 members it will no longer be able to form a quorum and the Federal circuits will effectively become the courts of last resort.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 17, 2016

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Goatman Sacks posted:

He titled the video "Rigging the Election I", implying there will be sequels.

Yeah, he said he was going to be releasing videos all week but if that is the one he thinks will grab the most attention it's nothing to be concerned about.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Has this interview with Bernie been posted?

https://newrepublic.com/article/137103/bernie-looks-ahead

Bernie has deservedly earned himself an enormous amount of goodwill inside Washington and will almost certainly have a strong leadership position going forward.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Man, apparently it's impossible to flim flam the zim zam.

The guy who shot at Zimmerman in a road rage "accident" just got 20 years. For attempted 2nd degree murder.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Do you think the founding fathers ever envisioned a situation where one party would simply refuse to act like adults and cooperate with another party no matter what?

It seems like a bit of an oversight, but then again, I can't imagine having to explain the goings-on of this election to George Washington.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You need a quorum of six justices to decide a case so it would probably be a really big deal if we got down to five and that branch of the government couldn't function. I don't think there's anything that can force them to do anything even then but it would probably be the start of the government totally breaking down if they really wouldn't budge.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phone posted:

The guy who shot at Zimmerman in a road rage "accident" just got 20 years. For attempted 2nd degree murder.

Good, hotheads who pull a gun for no reason should be in jail

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

Good, hotheads who pull a gun for no reason should be in jail

He was in fear of his life.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Phone posted:

His mistake was not killing him so he could claim self defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

haveblue posted:

Only losing their majority or nerve.

If they let the Court empty out, at 5 members it will no longer be able to form a quorum and the Federal circuits will effectively become the courts of last resort.

I kind of wish I hadn't asked that question. :ohdear:

• Locked thread