Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Verranicus posted:

The lorebook they sold at Fanfest has got the RP community (or at least the lovely side of it that posts on their forums) imploding and it's amazing.

In what way, or over what in particular?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

a lot of RPers assumed roles in things that were briefly mentioned in game, like "dragoon templars" and you name it

the lore book defines those roles more specifically and severely diminished the ability to be "one of the special", by setting the amount of someone that had a specific "cool title" to be limited to 5 or 10 and that they don't accept new members etc

essentially koji flipping off roleplayers, it's great

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ilifinicus posted:

a lot of RPers assumed roles in things that were briefly mentioned in game, like "dragoon templars" and you name it

the lore book defines those roles more specifically and severely diminished the ability to be "one of the special", by setting the amount of someone that had a specific "cool title" to be limited to 5 or 10 and that they don't accept new members etc

essentially koji flipping off roleplayers, it's great

Fantastic.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Captain Oblivious posted:

In what way, or over what in particular?

Right now the big thing is dragoons, yeah. The lorebook says there's only 10 of them active after the events of Heavensward, and all but 1-2 of them are accounted for among NPCs. So now you have every special snowflake RPer who claimed to be a full fledged ragoon rubbing shoulders with Estienien and poo poo like that scrambling for ways around this or trying to discredit the lorebook by pointing out typos and poo poo.

Here's the thread if you care to brave the RPC: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=17480

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Verranicus posted:

Right now the big thing is dragoons, yeah. The lorebook says there's only 10 of them active after the events of Heavensward, and all but 1-2 of them are accounted for among NPCs. So now you have every special snowflake RPer who claimed to be a full fledged ragoon rubbing shoulders with Estienien and poo poo like that scrambling for ways around this or trying to discredit the lorebook by pointing out typos and poo poo.

Here's the thread if you care to brave the RPC: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=17480

hahahahaha

the mental gymnastics going on in there.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

most likely not but you can usually find me in front of the tpt house begging for people to pvp

add rafzakael talket, if i'm not raiding and not grinding scriptures i'm gonna pvp

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Verranicus posted:

I was about to ask where you were seeing people flipping out because the actual lore forum over on the OF's been fairly civil about it, but I should've known it was ffxiv-roleplayers flipping shits over it.

I wonder how many people are salty that the Dunesfolk are now all confirmed to be descended from Mhach and thus the "all potatos are evil" meme actually has some teeth now.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

SpaceDrake posted:

I was about to ask where you were seeing people flipping out because the actual lore forum over on the OF's been fairly civil about it, but I should've known it was ffxiv-roleplayers flipping shits over it.

I wonder how many people are salty that the Dunesfolk are now all confirmed to be descended from Mhach and thus the "all potatos are evil" meme actually has some teeth now.

That's only half of them though

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

SpaceDrake posted:

The problem for non-UK residents of the EU seems to be that they're all being shipped out of SE-EU's headquarters in London. So if you aren't in the UK (or aren't, like, just across in the channel in Calais or something) shipping prices are absolutely insane. I've heard reports of the shipping getting as high as the price of the book itself.

I'm in Ireland. Can't get much closer than that.

Sorry SE, not shilling out €70 for a book.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Good potatoes from the Plains, lovely ones in the desert.
Seems to check out with my limited knowledge of farming.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I've been poking at the Squeenix NA store every few hours now and haven't seen anything from the lorebook. Am I looking at the wrong place, or did it sell out before I even woke up?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Conskill posted:

I've been poking at the Squeenix NA store every few hours now and haven't seen anything from the lorebook. Am I looking at the wrong place, or did it sell out before I even woke up?

If it sold out the listing would still be there. It's just straight-up not in the store yet.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Both items are now up for pre-order in the NA Store.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

Both items are now up for pre-order in the NA Store.

link for the lazy

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/421917/encyclopaedia-eorzea-the-world-of-final-fantasy-xiv-book

lol, cheapest shipping is $9

also

quote:

Note: the shipment will occur after December 27, 2017

oh, here's the calendar too

https://store.na.square-enix.com/product/421922/final-fantasy-xiv-official-calendar-2017

Nill fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 17, 2016

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Right at the stroke of 10. Get ordering, nerds.

Also drat they said the book would be available for purchase today, not preorder. Weird. Extra glad I got mine when I did now!

And hell, if anyone has ~*lore questions*~ I'd be happy to look for them. There's really quite a lot of info in here.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Thankfully I can now justify this as a Christmas purchase!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
End of December of next year huh. Only a short 15 months away.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
We could all be dead in 15 months.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Right at the stroke of 10. Get ordering, nerds.

Also drat they said the book would be available for purchase today, not preorder. Weird. Extra glad I got mine when I did now!

And hell, if anyone has ~*lore questions*~ I'd be happy to look for them. There's really quite a lot of info in here.

Anything about Au ra? I need to know more about my dragon princess :3:

The minion from the Lore book is cute.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Alder posted:

The minion from the Lore book is cute.

Damnit, yes it is.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

I want to believe he's a jab at all the RP'ers who have to buy namechanges now to fit the lore.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I'm sure authors of sprawling worlds like ff14s are not fans of players trying to insert themselves into places in the game that they have no business being in when there's already a spot in the game written for them

what I'm saying is gently caress RPers

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Finally official art of the best NPC

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Nill posted:

I want to believe he's a jab at all the RP'ers who have to buy namechanges now to fit the lore.

Names are literally the one thing they gave the most detailed outlines of way before anything else. The only people buying name changes for that are people who are cosplaying as NPCs at that point :v:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Alder posted:

Finally official art of the best NPC

I don't see Tataru anywhere in there :confused:

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
so I ordered both the statue and book, cancelled that order when I realized that meant my statue wouldn't ship for over a year, and now the lorebook is out of stock. rip

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

Not surprised, but bummer.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

I'm sure authors of sprawling worlds like ff14s are not fans of players trying to insert themselves into places in the game that they have no business being in when there's already a spot in the game written for them

Yeah, those gosh darn roleplayers are a menace, what with their ... hurting ... anyone, ever ...?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
role players are literal trash and there are tons of them who would be terrible to expose anyone who isn't an adult to

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i don't really care what you do in the privacy of your own zone, but world-visible lovely erotica in the quicksand is probably pushing it

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

so I ordered both the statue and book, cancelled that order when I realized that meant my statue wouldn't ship for over a year, and now the lorebook is out of stock. rip

They're shipping starting today, the end of December date was a placeholder :(

I got mine, I hope more go up soon for others!

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Gally posted:

They're shipping starting today, the end of December date was a placeholder :(

I got mine, I hope more go up soon for others!

hahhahahaha super cool :yeah:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ilifinicus posted:

what is it with goons assuming anyone who creates media is as much of a spiteful weirdo as they are

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
a shameful goon

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
To be fair, role players who insert themselves into important canonical organizations and poo poo like that are looked down on even by other roleplayers.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

We were right about to pull A10 when I saw the book pre-order was up, so I shouted HOLD UP, BOOK FOR SALE NOW in party chat and they waited up for me. A good pubbie group.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Thundarr posted:

We were right about to pull A10 when I saw the book pre-order was up, so I shouted HOLD UP, BOOK FOR SALE NOW in party chat and they waited up for me. A good pubbie group.
Any of them end up buying one too?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/mattalos/status/788068297765822464

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Nill posted:

Any of them end up buying one too?

Nah, as soon as I said I was done everyone charged right in. At least, nobody else mentioned buying it at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RP'ing is fine, but drat if I don't cringe when I get a RP'er who uses quote macros. Especially if there are quotes where the player is flirty with the target.

poo poo like "Wake up, beautiful. You're too pretty to die! {Raise} <t>".

• Locked thread