Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
If it's in the Paris again next time and you can't get a room there, definitely consider staying at Bally's. It's part of the same complex, and the distance from the Bally's hotel elevators to the Paris convention center is roughly the same as the distance from the Paris hotel elevators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It looked like YoshiP got a bit annoyed with the housing questions, although I don't know if that was just a joke because he figured people wouldn't like the answers.

It doesn't really wash that he got annoyed as though he doesn't have free reign to pick every single question of the however many they got beforehand to answer.

He/The team just took a bunch of softballs they don't really need to commit to further than what they had already planned because obviously, they're not going to say "We will 100% commit to answering the questions pulled from this hat honestly" "What jobs are in Stormblood?" "gently caress, oh well, Red Mage, Time Mage, Samurai. I'm going to get yelled at back in Japan."

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Was gonna buy a lore book, buuuut looks like that's not happening today. Added my name to the waiting list. Sounds like they vastly underestimated just how many people would be interested in this thing.

Fister Roboto posted:

Thanks for the memories!

This is awesome. Happy to see so many goons on here. I especially got a laugh to read " "I'm Harvey!" - Hungry Harvey"

Concerning the questions: one of them was mine, and I'm happy it got answered. The overall quality definitely left something to be desired, but essentially all of the questions came from the Lore forum in the OF and there weren't that many good ones from what I remember, so they had to pick and choose.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

SpaceDrake posted:

In several places in the book, most notably the detailing of Allagan history, the living Bahamut apparently had the title "The Dawn Wyrm" very prominently, and Tiamat had the title "Dusk Wyrm", and the titles crop up fairly often.

So. Well. Either that's a red herring the size of a blue whale, or it prrrrretty much explains exactly where the Au Ra come from, and also puts to bed all this "demon" nonsense. :v:

Oh, so maybe a few expansions from now we'll have giant godlike cats and we'll find out the true origin of catgirls :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

This has probably been answered ingame but damned if I can remember if so. Besides being rather assholes in how they go about it, is Garlemald's overall gently caress THE EIKONS obsession problematic in the long run, or is it as good a solution as any to the problem of primal summonings?

(e) For clarity I mean their overall goal, not their rather overly killy methods :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 17, 2016

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ciaphas posted:

This has probably been answered ingame but damned if I can remember if so. Besides being rather assholes in how they go about it, is Garlemald's overall gently caress THE EIKONS obsession problematic in the long run, or is it as good a solution as any to the problem of primal summonings?

Their way to stop the problem of primal summonings is genocide, so no.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Countblanc posted:

Nice condoms

That's the Haurchefant memorial, I believe?

Fister Roboto posted:

[*]They sounded completely undecided on how they were going to go forward with raid difficulty. I hope they don't add a third difficulty tier, I think that would just make the whole system even more bloated.

I'd be curious to know why you think this would be a bad thing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh, so maybe a few expansions from now we'll have giant godlike cats and we'll find out the true origin of catgirls :v:

Miqo'te are most likely from Meracydia, given that they supposedly migrated from the south.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Their way to stop the problem of primal summonings is genocide, so no.
In fairness the Eorzian way is 'pray someone like the WoL is around to kill them or else we're all going to end up tempered slave's.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Miqo'te are most likely from Meracydia, given that they supposedly migrated from the south.

An unimplemented lore tidbit that was going to be a loading screen thing previously said they were originally Meracydian, yes. That was never truly stated in-game, though, so like the Sunseekers turning patriarchal (which was originally not so in brief lore bits on websites but turned out to be true in game) it's possibly being quietly retconned before it ever truly became in-game lore.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I doubt we'll ever stab Lolorito. Outmaneuver him politically, maybe, but I have a hard time imagining Lolorito ever putting himself in a position where the only way to deal with him would be to kill him. That would require him to either become actively malicious or incompetent.

If you haven't read the Tales of the Dragonsong War short story about him on the website, I highly recommend it. He's quite a fucker!

Lolorito is Tyrion Lannister..?

shas posted:

Sylph beastman dailies in ARR were the absolute worst. please look forward to these mobs that aggro across half the zone and if they hit you make you drop your item, so you have to restart

please enjoy walking (walking!) across the entire zone and refreshing a ten second buff. if you get hit, you restart. if the buff drops, you restart.

in the end I just did them on SMN because I could use Garuda and my chocobo as sacrifices if I got caught by anything

Picked up the lore book too and was pleasantly surprised by the shipping only being £5

I didn't run Sylph quests until level 60 and they're still longer and more tedious than any other beast tribe by a goddamn mile. Goddamn sylphs.

I'm from Ul'dah and I say kill 'em all. :flame:

SpaceDrake posted:

It's time for the next relic step. If you've been doing A12 each week, then the 260 weapons would wildly outperform the 240 relics. Even the Sophia weapons are a good 15 ilvls above the current relic step.

And yeah, sorry AUS or far-from-Britain EU goons, your shipping options are all stupid and terrible. :(

It's a shame the 240 step is so awful though. Sands aren't hard to get at all but Umbrite is just another dull and tedious "go grind a bunch of tomestones instead of having a bunch of options like with sand because why not."

Gearhead posted:

I'm still somewhat confused as to how they're going to handle the Garlean problem, really. It's not like Eorzea can take them on directly. They're an industrial power the size of Russia or China with a LOT of experience in loving people. You aren't going to persuade them to go away either, because for them it's a systematic war on religion itself to save the world from superstition literally eating the world for lunch. The only alternative I can see is them accidentally activating some ancient Allagan failsafe that blasts the heart of their empire to kingdom come. (And Omega is in the wrong place for that.)

Perhaps the lore bit that the Allag left a LOT of ancient horrors chained up all over the world is a nod to that possibility.

Lolorito has Omega Weapon, unless someone else secured it after Teledji got bisected by Raubahn. Whether the Empire (or other city-states) knows this is another matter entirely. Plus there's no indication that the Empire could realistically do anything about Primals or Weapons unless they've got their own echo-endowed elite soldiers or access to other Weapons besides Ultima.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

2 SPOOKY posted:

Depending on which way they go with difficulties, it's straining development time that can be better used on all new content. Obviously, Savage+ needs extensive balance testing to be possible, fair but extremely difficult and that's not a negligible job. "Story mode" would require balancing too but obviously less of it.

Like, if someone said "you can either have Savage+ that a small percent of the small percent who can clear Savage will clear in patch 4.05 or you can have a whole new Primal fight that we half finished for 3.0 series but didn't have the time to complete", it seems like a bit of a no brainer.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

2 SPOOKY posted:

The main reason is that it would stretch out gear ilevels even more, assuming that each difficulty tier would drop different gear. I preferred the idea of having the moderately challenging version on even patches and the savage version for odd patches. That's all I'm going to say because I'm not interested in rehashing a dumb argument.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Ciaphas posted:

(e) For clarity I mean their overall goal, not their rather overly killy methods :v:

The bottom line is that Garlemald really just wants more property to rule. Yeah, they say "gently caress the eikons," but then they employ the assistance of long dead Allagan machinery to reach their goals. The most eye-opening of them would be the Ultima Weapon, which absorbs primals and eikons to power itself, and it can be assumed that it would require much aether to stay afloat as a result. Ultima Weapon is nothing short of a miniature nuke with how Ultima was shown to level the entirety of Castrum Meridianum, so they're flaunting absolute power and their solution is "gently caress you" if you don't approve of their reign.

If anything, their crusade against Eikons is nothing but a political argument they use to justify their march on Eorzea. They imply that they think that Eikons are bad solely because of the destructive force they wield, and while that is a big issue, an equal or perhaps larger problem is how much aether they siphon from the planet. Further, Garleans try to emulate ancient Allag as much as possible, and as we have seen with Azys Lla, that leads to some real poo poo scenarios. Left to their own devices, it's safe to say that Garlemald would just attempt to capture and use Eikons and their followers as power sources for their own prosperity, rather than make an effort to completely stop summoning for the good of all of Hydaelyn.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lolorito has Omega Weapon, unless someone else secured it after Teledji got bisected by Raubahn.

I thought that the implication of the recent patch's ending was that the Empire was going to get their hands on it?

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

The Grimace posted:

If anything, their crusade against Eikons is nothing but a political argument they use to justify their march on Eorzea. They imply that they think that Eikons are bad solely because of the destructive force they wield, and while that is a big issue, an equal or perhaps larger problem is how much aether they siphon from the planet. Further, Garleans try to emulate ancient Allag as much as possible, and as we have seen with Azys Lla, that leads to some real poo poo scenarios. Left to their own devices, it's safe to say that Garlemald would just attempt to capture and use Eikons and their followers as power sources for their own prosperity, rather than make an effort to completely stop summoning for the good of all of Hydaelyn.
The only moral godbeast is my godbeast.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
There's a belief that a culture's art and music reflect the culture's progressiveness. While I think that has merit, I know that we as a culture will be ready for anything when a Q&A isn't full of dumb questions.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is there a reason to run Palace of the Dead below max level? Like, is it a decent way to level from the 20ish to 50, or would it be faster to just queue for dungeon roulettes and do leves? I'm leveling a DPS class, if it makes a difference.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

Is there a reason to run Palace of the Dead below max level? Like, is it a decent way to level from the 20ish to 50, or would it be faster to just queue for dungeon roulettes and do leves? I'm leveling a DPS class, if it makes a difference.

It gives a decent chunk of experience while being even more brain dead than dungeons.

VVVVV Also yes, that. In the time it can take to queue, you can easily hammer out a set of 10 floors up until 40.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's useful for DPS that have to wait forever for dungeon DF.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

It's definitely not a good sole way to take a class from 20 to 50, but it's a good thing to do from time to time to supplement roulettes as a source of XP. A full run should give you about 3-4 levels in the 20s.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Do the whole 50 floors if you have a decent aetherpool total and want to try it out. Sell your Materia and Hoard finds.
Make EXP and Gil until you just can't stand anymore POTD

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Harrow posted:

Below 50 it's the fastest way to level once you burn your daily Leveling. Queue times are super short, and the XP is good for the time spent assuming you get clears. Additionally, Fabulous Prizes, capping out at a great level 60 starter weapon.

50-60 it's still ok, although Leveling/Main Scenario/50 Dungeon/Trial is probably better for the time spent. Fabulous Prizes is still a thing but you'd probably rather get the tomestones from roulettes unless you're after i235 weapons.

Once you hit 60 you run it for the Tomestones and Fabulous Prizes. A full clear nets you some 150 of Poetics/Lore/Scripture, which is pretty good for the time if you're actively looking for all 3, like the i240 anima step.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't think I can do full runs without Heavensward, right? Maybe I'll bite the bullet and buy it soon after all.

Thanks for the info, everyone!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Evil Fluffy posted:

Lolorito has Omega Weapon, unless someone else secured it after Teledji got bisected by Raubahn. Whether the Empire (or other city-states) knows this is another matter entirely. Plus there's no indication that the Empire could realistically do anything about Primals or Weapons unless they've got their own echo-endowed elite soldiers or access to other Weapons besides Ultima.

CrashScreen posted:

I thought that the implication of the recent patch's ending was that the Empire was going to get their hands on it?

Neither. Teledji Adeledji was maneuvering to try and get ahold of Omega Weapon, but it's still beneath Carteneau.

And I think it's too early to say Nero=The Empire. He's a bit of an unpredictable free agent. It seems he's likely going to awaken Omega Weapon but what happens from there...

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

if you want XP from PotD you're incentivized to keep running 1-10 or 1-20, the XP at the end of each set of 10 floor seems the same and the later floors take far longer. It was surprising how quickly I did 32-40 in very little time just fooling around in PotD last week.

Ideally, you probably want to stagger both saves like: 1-10, 1-10, 11-20, 11-20, and so on so you get speedy XP gains but also build Aetherpool at a good rate so you get free neon weapons.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Running 1-10 gets you a massive amount of exp for about 15 minutes work. And there's no penalty for resetting runs, so pretty much the only risk is the sheer mountain of boredom you'll face immediately.

nuru posted:

if you want XP from PotD you're incentivized to keep running 1-10 or 1-20, the XP at the end of each set of 10 floor seems the same and the later floors take far longer. It was surprising how quickly I did 32-40 in very little time just fooling around in PotD last week.

Ideally, you probably want to stagger both saves like: 1-10, 1-10, 11-20, 11-20, and so on so you get speedy XP gains but also build Aetherpool at a good rate so you get free neon weapons.

The xp for doing later floors goes up, but the time investment does as well. It's much more efficient to do 1-10 over and over. Of course, efficiency will put you to sleep after about five runs.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

If you're a class like Archer/Bard it's basically a non-stop speed run at lower levels which ends up being pretty fun to me somehow. The slowest thing is waiting for people to catch up to you. Machinist is probably similar.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
if i wasnt poo poo at drawing my truck might not have looked like a shoe

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

nuru posted:

If you're a class like Archer/Bard it's basically a non-stop speed run at lower levels which ends up being pretty fun to me somehow. The slowest thing is waiting for people to catch up to you. Machinist is probably similar.

Nah, that's not an issue. They always just tag along with you and fail to kill things because you're a 100mph cyclone of death (MCH is better than BRD for this imo, both good) and leave you to double back and explore and kill the rest of the unexplored areas.

Why easily solo a room when one person can kill and three can watch is the pubbie mentality in potd

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Extremely dumb-rear end question incoming, but what is a not-stupid way to gear as I level a new class? Just buy poo poo every 5 levels or so? I know I can't rely on dungeon drops because I don't get upgrades all that frequently as I level. At first I figured I could just PotD to death, but I'd still need to do the class quests and while they are pretty easy, I kind of remember them requiring at least half-decent gear for your level.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Why easily solo a room when one person can kill and three can watch is the pubbie mentality in potd

My favorite are the assholes that just chill on the teleporter pad while the rest of us go to pick up the remaining chests and clear the monsters guarding them. Thanks, dickweeds.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

POTD to 50/60 is the new FATES to 50/60; you can do it relatively quickly, but it'll probably make you a garbage player at cap until you start running real content and learn your rotation. You also lose all right to bitch about how boring leveling your class is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

100 degrees Calcium posted:

My favorite are the assholes that just chill on the teleporter pad while the rest of us go to pick up the remaining chests and clear the monsters guarding them. Thanks, dickweeds.

I'm guilty of this while trying to not be lovely about it, but usually this happens when I've purposely split from the pack to clear a different branch and done so succesfully. I don't go chill on the pad if I choose the exit branch straight away. Unless I need the bathroom. I hate it when people AFK in there and don't go do it on the teleporter if possible.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I'm guilty of this while trying to not be lovely about it, but usually this happens when I've purposely split from the pack to clear a different branch and done so succesfully. I don't go chill on the pad if I choose the exit branch straight away. Unless I need the bathroom. I hate it when people AFK in there and don't go do it on the teleporter if possible.

That makes sense. I'll allow it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Extremely dumb-rear end question incoming, but what is a not-stupid way to gear as I level a new class? Just buy poo poo every 5 levels or so? I know I can't rely on dungeon drops because I don't get upgrades all that frequently as I level. At first I figured I could just PotD to death, but I'd still need to do the class quests and while they are pretty easy, I kind of remember them requiring at least half-decent gear for your level.

Buying vendor gear every 5 levels is pretty reasonable. Alternatively, ask crafters for help and get HQ gear instead.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

My favourites were the ones who did this and then had the nerve to complain that things were taking too long and we were running out of time.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Fister Roboto posted:

~fanfest stuff~

To add my thoughts as well:

- Agreed that you want to stay as close to Paris as possible, if not in the hotel itself. Since I cosplayed (I wore the Plague Bringer set, which several people recognized; I didn't wear a mask since I need glasses, but I'll find a workaround next time!), I wasn't going to walk a bunch in the hot-rear end weather with that coat on. That meant I taxi'd a bit more than I wanted to, which probably negated the price difference.
- Yeah, Vegas is pretty expensive. However, super fun and you shouldn't be afraid to do things in the evening! You're probably going to be tired after walking and standing a bunch, though. Be sure to be drinking lots of water throughout the day.

Stormblood stuff:
- I talked to a lot of people in various lines about the trailer. The common interpretation seems to be that the monk girl isn't Yda, but related to her. Maybe her younger sister? Makes sense since her dad seems to be a powerful person in the resistance.
- Forbidden Land Eureka had a very tepid response from the crowd. Most people clearly felt it was Diadem 2.0.
- It's clear Yoshida wants to do a lot of things that aren't within his control because of budget / development constraints. When he mentioned that inventory issues were because of server constraints that are being upgraded, he had this look of "I really had to fight for them to spend money to do this."

Concert stuffs:
- Susan Calloway owns. Dragonsong was fantastic.
- The pianist played Singularity Reactor screwed up a few times while playing the song. Granted, it's a very hard song on piano, but even I caught that.
- Soken is very much a showman, and I loved his take on the Lost City music.
- The Primals were very good, except for the fact that the their playlist was way too short and repeating Sephirot for some reason. Others mentioned the sound being off - I think it had to do with the acoustics of the room. That room was not made for that type of concert. If you were in certain parts of the room, you could not hear who was on stage. When I was in the merchandise line, I couldn't hear a single bit of the lore panel, which brings me to my next point.

LINES
- Obviously there's a lot of waiting in line. The only line I didn't wait for was Proto Ultima since I got in that quickly. The trial roulette line (more on this in a bit!) took very long. The merchandise line was an unmitigated disaster and depending on which member of staff you talked to, you heard a different story. We were told toward the end of the first night that they were nearly sold out of everything, so don't be in line. This was a lie. They eventually started handing out tickets for priority in the morning, and if people wanted to try shopping after 2pm, had to get in line early in the morning. This caused some people to camp out at 2am, which the fact that they created this environment is inexcusable.
- While in line, they announced the lore book was sold out, right as Koji Fox is up on stage saying "BUY THIS BOOK!" which was horrible optics.
- I argued with honest healers in line, because that's what I do. Every single one of them would say the magic seven words, "I played Druid in World of Warcraft" before arguing their point.

Misc stuff:
- Proto Ultima was easy. Avoid AOE lines and kill adds.
- Watching trial roulette and seeing what people got was fun. The two hardest ones I saw was Final Steps of Faith with no left side gear, and Limitless Blue Extreme with no GUI. I don't think I saw a single person clear a no GUI thing. My group ended up getting a really easy one - Thok Ast Thok HM with minimum ilvl.
- Cosplaying is fun, especially when people recognize your costume and want a picture with it :3: There was a married couple that dressed their daughter up as Tataru, which was absolutely adorable. Though I question bringing their kid to an event like that...
- Live letter questions were dumb. Windows in apartments? People really care about that? Admittedly, all the stuff I wanted to know about they 1) Probably haven't decided on yet, or 2) are saving to release at future fanfest events.
- Sophia Paul 2012: Kill You're Parents
- I'm glad Agrias didn't stab me in my sleep for that Kelly edit.
- Speaking of Kelly edits, I met up with someone that apparently runs a big FFXIV podcast and wants me on the show because he loves the edits. As an aside, I worked with goons to brainstorm a few good ideas for future ones. The PS3 one was a result of that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The Grimace posted:

The bottom line is that Garlemald really just wants more property to rule. Yeah, they say "gently caress the eikons," but then they employ the assistance of long dead Allagan machinery to reach their goals. The most eye-opening of them would be the Ultima Weapon, which absorbs primals and eikons to power itself, and it can be assumed that it would require much aether to stay afloat as a result. Ultima Weapon is nothing short of a miniature nuke with how Ultima was shown to level the entirety of Castrum Meridianum, so they're flaunting absolute power and their solution is "gently caress you" if you don't approve of their reign.

Thanks for this insight! I think I asked the wrong question when I latched on to Garlemald, though. What I really wanted to ask is: if Primal summoning by any means were to suddenly stop--and with them their effect of draining the world of aether--would there be any net downside?

Then when I phrased the question that way I thought of the current patch's MSQ and realized "uh, probably" is the answer :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

seiferguy posted:

I argued with honest healers in line, because that's what I do. Every single one of them would say the magic seven words, "I played Druid in World of Warcraft" before arguing their point.

Ah, so disgusting sub human scum no matter which game they're in.

• Locked thread