Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

IAmTheRad posted:

The problem is that people would tear down the structures. They don't want to wander around and suddenly be reminded of something that happened centuries ago. ESO took place in 2E 583. 2E 867 is when Tiber Septim said the 3rd era would begin. 3E 433 is when the Oblivion crisis began, and began the 4th era. 4E 201 is when Skyrim takes place.
I am pretty sure that 1 millenium is enough for people to get rid of the Dolmens or to have the land itself swallow them up.

I severely doubt people would see the Oblivion gates and go "yeah that should stay. We should be reminded of when the daedra almost destroyed Tamriel." The same would go with the Dolmens and people going "yeah that should stay. We should remember when Molag Bal tried to bring Tamriel into his plane of Oblivion."
This is why there are no ruins in Skyrim, right?

Although, I see your point - the problem with the mod is clearly that it is an immersion breaker. Perhaps if we were to add it to the OP we could tag it as such???

Realtalk: I'm tempted to upload an edited version of the mod with the gates removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Can't be a true Dolmen without an absolute clusterfuck of people showing up to claim the loot as soon as the fight breaks out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Why doesn't Nexus just change to a thumbs up/down rating system to shut up all the whiners? Thumbs up can mean "3* because your dialogue is poo poo", and so on. Like, the people complaining are the same people who can change that!

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why doesn't Nexus just change to a thumbs up/down rating system to shut up all the whiners? Thumbs up can mean "3* because your dialogue is poo poo", and so on. Like, the people complaining are the same people who can change that!

They already did that but "better".
You can now only either endorse a mod or do nothing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

there are only varying levels of good

good (endorse)
and double-plus good (endorse + vote)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Psion posted:

if you've got that you are good to go, even if Steam does not say Legendary Edition.
Gotcha. Another question, when I was setting everything up yesterday I mistakenly installed Mod Organizer to the Program Files (x86) folder

Can I move MO out of there or do I need to uninstall+reinstall it?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jackard posted:

Gotcha. Another question, when I was setting everything up yesterday I mistakenly installed Mod Organizer to the Program Files (x86) folder

Can I move MO out of there or do I need to uninstall+reinstall it?

as with everything skyrim related, you CAN just move it but you should probably uninstall/reinstall.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I can't actually find the option to uninstall Mod Organizer

:negative:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jackard posted:

I can't actually find the option to uninstall Mod Organizer
I've never used the installer version of MO, but simply moving MO's folder should work just fine.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Arthmoor: Is he a great modder, or the greatest modder?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
C: None of the above.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
In the comments for hiring Tannin, even the guy who owns Nexus is rolling his eyes at Arthmoor :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Raygereio posted:

I've never used the installer version of MO, but simply moving MO's folder should work just fine.

you may need to retarget its mod directory - I don't know how MO handles that exactly, but you may have to specifically say "look, I moved you, which means all my mods are now in d:\mod organizer\mods instead of c:\program files\mod organizer\mods now"

I moved MO on a different hard drive a while back and it worked within minutes, so whatever you have to do - if anything - is really fast, but it was also fast enough that I forget the specifics of what I did! :v:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Psion posted:

In the comments for hiring Tannin, even the guy who owns Nexus is rolling his eyes at Arthmoor :v:

Quote?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

read it and suffer yourself, buddy :colbert:

it's too long for a quote anyway, but basically, some guy accuses the Nexus of selling out, Nexus owner says "he's joining the Nexus, not Bethesda," Arthmoor takes it seriously as a claim that Bethesda really is out to kill modding, is mocked.

it's obvious the "joining the Nexus, not Bethesda" quip was pretty obviously tongue-in-cheek, but well, this is the internet :v:

e: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/news/12905/
look for the comment by "MrJoseCuervo" and scroll down

Psion fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 18, 2016

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Psion posted:

it's too long for a quote anyway, but basically, some guy accuses the Nexus of selling out, Nexus owner says "he's joining the Nexus, not Bethesda," Arthmoor takes it seriously as a claim that Bethesda really is out to kill modding, is mocked.

it's obvious the "joining the Nexus, not Bethesda" quip was pretty obviously tongue-in-cheek, but well, this is the internet :v:

I must see this.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Psion posted:

I didn't even know where to find it. :smith:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

OK here's the best bits:

MrJoseCuervo posted:

I think you are making a mistake joining a group who is eager to bend a knee to the corporate beast that had attempted and continue to seek to destroy our modding community.

I for one am sad this happened but hope you have sufficiently legally protected yourself and your intellectual property.

dark0ne posted:

He's joining the Nexus, not Bethesda...

arthmoor posted:

Since Bethesda isn't seeking to destroy the modding community I'm not sure who ELSE you could actually have meant there :p

dark0ne posted:

We really need to get you a custom Bethesda cheerleader's outfit and pom poms, Arthmoor! Even if it's just for Halloween.

arthmoor posted:

So it's cheerleading to challenge the claim that Bethesda is destroying the modding community? Ok.

dark0ne posted:

Both my original comment and my response to you were tongue-in-cheek jokes to a daft OP, lighten up.

We can always rely on you to come save the day as soon as the jokes or even legit comments come out at Bethesda's expense, right on cue. I am sorry for speaking ill of Bethesda, even in jest.

fukken lol

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
Any goons have experience with creating mods that add craftable upgrades (via grindstone/workbench/etc) that include variables from other mods?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

GunnerJ posted:

OK here's the best bits:

fukken lol

I can't tell where the various verbal fallatios start and end. (Please don't tell me.)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I'm following the STEP guide and reached 2.A LOOT Sorting & Patches

Is this really necessary when Mod Organizer has a thing that detects conflicts and even reorganizes mods for you?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Any goons have experience with creating mods that add craftable upgrades (via grindstone/workbench/etc) that include variables from other mods?
What do you want to know?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
There 20 pages of comments and in several of them you can find Arthmoor shaking his little fist against MO and it's ~evil~ virtual file system. For example:

Arthmoor posted:

And conversely, many people won't touch it if the VFS is a core feature that can't be turned off. Which is why it should be offered as an extension module for those who want it. That keeps everyone happy.

Not Arthmoor posted:

Exactly NMM has cost me hours destroying my games to the point where reinstall was the only option.
Anyone against the VFS is simply ignorant.

Arthmoor posted:

QUOTE: Anyone against the VFS is simply ignorant.
Or we use Wrye Bash and don't have these problems. The world isn't just NMM and MO you know.
NMM doesn't even use a virtual file system, dumbass.
I'm curious, did anyone ever find out what the source that hatred is? Because he thinks WryeBash is perfect and doesn't need replacing. So why not keep using that and be happy, instead of wasting all that energy arguing over a mod manager tool he's not going to use?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I only know that in principle it should be possible to conditionally account for this. It requires checking in a script that a certain file is in the load order (i.e., the .esp for the other mod) and gating content related to using that mod behind the check.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Jackard posted:

I'm following the STEP guide and reached 2.A LOOT Sorting & Patches

Is this really necessary when Mod Organizer has a thing that detects conflicts and even reorganizes mods for you?

Whether or not those specific instructions are necessary I can't say for sure, but reorganization simply cannot fix all conflicts, some will require patching. Check the OP for info on "Non-Conflicting Overrides."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Raygereio posted:

I'm curious, did anyone ever find out what the source that hatred is? Because he thinks WryeBash is perfect and doesn't need replacing. So why not keep using that and be happy, instead of wasting all that energy arguing over a mod manager tool he's not going to use?

His stake in this is (iirc) that he believes that the way MO works must be causing some number of problems that idiot mouthbreather USERS falsely blame on his artistic vision (those loving trolls).

Also lol @ "just put a bunch of work into making a core aspect of the program's basic functioning optional, everyone wins!" This reminds me of when he thought it was some nefarious conspiracy that STEP switched over to making their instructions MO-based, rather than just offering two parallel sets of instructions for MO-users and WB-users, because that's not a pain in the rear end at all.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Raygereio posted:

NMM doesn't even use a virtual file system, dumbass.
It does now! :lron:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Arthmoor is treading dangerously close to Giskard territory at all times even though I'm pretty sure he dislikes that guy for all those same idiotic things

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Bah! This cleaning poo poo does not loving work so imma just skip it. :livintrope:

Dawnguard.esm threw out an error like "57 navmeshs could not be undeleted" on the first pass and then the file vanished up its own rear end in a top hat

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm about 99% sure you hosed up.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

:shrug: There's not exactly a lot of steps here. What's missing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW6eTM0Px_k

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I don't have any idea, I just know that dawnguard.esm didn't vanish when I did it.

eta: The last bit in the STEP guide you linked says that under some conditions it may move around. Do they match your situation?

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 18, 2016

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

Raygereio posted:

What do you want to know?

GunnerJ posted:

I only know that in principle it should be possible to conditionally account for this. It requires checking in a script that a certain file is in the load order (i.e., the .esp for the other mod) and gating content related to using that mod behind the check.

Pretty much this, the idea is to fetch data from the existing plugin so certain non-vanilla stats can be upgraded the way vanilla stats are. Like the way you can add damage to your sword by grinding more metal into it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

I don't have any idea, I just know that dawnguard.esm didn't vanish when I did it. The last bit in the STEP guide you linked says that under some conditions it may move around. Do they match your situation?
Cleaning Dawnguard is different from the other three ESMs in that STEP tells you to clean it twice, and the ESM vanishes before the second pass. AFAIK the overwrite thing is for when you're finished.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

It's a pain in the rear end to do so.
And yes, I have done so.

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."

IAmTheRad posted:

It's a pain in the rear end to do so.
And yes, I have done so.

I figured, but with the idea I have in mind, it was worth the ask.
That's probably the biggest hurdle, other than, you know, using Creation Kit to make my very first mod.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I figured, but with the idea I have in mind, it was worth the ask.
That's probably the biggest hurdle, other than, you know, using Creation Kit to make my very first mod.

I did it using just TES5Edit.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
10 days! :woop:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

Pretty much this, the idea is to fetch data from the existing plugin so certain non-vanilla stats can be upgraded the way vanilla stats are. Like the way you can add damage to your sword by grinding more metal into it.
Simply using a variable from another as a condition in a recipe is easy. It's something you do in a matter of seconds in xEdit if you have all the necessary FormIDs at hand.
It's not a pain in the rear end at all (then again: I've been modding Bethesda-engine games since Morrowind, so maybe I've developed Stockholm syndrome by now).

But you seem to be planning something else. Give some details about what you want to do and we'll see if it's possible and how you can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

His stake in this is (iirc) that he believes that the way MO works must be causing some number of problems that idiot mouthbreather USERS falsely blame on his artistic vision (those loving trolls).

What's his deal with Wrye Bash, though? I never made much use of it for Skyrim because getting it to recognize that I'm interested in managing Skyrim instead of Oblivion this time, and vice versa, was a pain in the rear end in the first version I used. But I don't recall that it magically tracks conflicting loose files, and fixes the data directory if you ever uninstall the last mod that wrote a particular file, or that you can change your preference just by reordering your mod list. Yet every time it comes up, he acts like Wrye has every good feature MO has, but it doesn't dare to touch BSAs in a non-Bethesda way, and doesn't use a VFS, so it's automatically superior.

He's made an awful lot of strong claims about MO over the years without going into any real detail from what I've seen. He said once that MO's VFS "degrades over time" or words to that effect, but didn't explain what was happening, or how he knew about it. It's not impossible, and he seems like the sort of person who could put in the work to determine that. On the other hand, he also seems like the kind of person who'll just make up bullshit to get his way.