Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe it's only the bits of the ocean around Australia, and eventually you'd hit water again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

WickedHate posted:

Maybe it's only the bits of the ocean around Australia, and eventually you'd hit water again.

The ocean around Australia is exceptionally deep. By the time sea level dropped the kilometres necessary to surround Australia with a salt flat, everywhere else would be high and dry as well.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Oct 17, 2016

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Waffleman_ posted:

https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/787338776884289536

I don't know why marketing executives want me to gently caress my food.

They want to slowly change the public's perceptions so they can save money by having convicts jack off in your food directly.

It's the REAL Soylent Green (also note the M&M's shell color. Wake up sheeple.)

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
And it's the ocean. Human designations aside, the oceans are connected waterways. For the Pacific to be bone dry, that would mean there was no water left in the Atlantic, Southern, or Indian Oceans to fill in the area around Australia, and no ice left on Antarctica either.

I feel like I just had this exact conversation with someone

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
My question is where did all the water GO?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Hardcordion posted:

Space. "So long, and thanks for killing all the fish. "

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Away.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hardcordion posted:

I don't know how old that theory is but it's implied in Fury Road that the ocean has been reduced to one giant salt flat. If that's the case I doubt the rest of the world would be just hunky dory.

Actually George Miller stated that the entirety of Fury Road takes place in the center of the outback, and that the salt flats is just a new feature of the wasteland. One made after a lake bed dried up. Not to say that there aren't any oceans, but I don't think he's ever confirmed that there weren't.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Hardcordion posted:

Does that matter to the story? It's fuckin' gone, the only water around is controlled by assholes like Immortan Joe, that's the sitch. Like with Snowpiercer and The Matrix, apocalyptic science fiction gets a free pass from the transitional phase- the sitch is what it is, the middle phase is either unimportant or the entire point. One of the two, no middle ground.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Actually George Miller stated that the entirety of Fury Road takes place in the center of the outback, and that the salt flats is just a new feature of the wasteland. One made after a lake bed dried up. Not to say that there aren't any oceans, but I don't think he's ever confirmed that there weren't.

The comics (which I'm pretty sure are canon) showed the ocean around Sydney so dried up that Immortan Joe's gang was driving around boats on the sand.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

There is no real canon. Only the first film happened. The second and third are legends told about this larger than life Road Warrior. Hence why there are intentional continuity errors like him having the intrceptor again for some reason. I'd say that that likely extends to Fury Road as well.
More importantly Miller didn't have much to do with the comics anyway.

Scarodactyl has a new favorite as of 23:07 on Oct 17, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Scarodactyl posted:

There is no real canon. Only the first film happened. The second and third are legends told about this larger than life Road Warrior. Hence why there are intentional continuity errors like him having the intrceptor again for some reason. I'd say that that likely extends to Fury Road as well.
More importantly Miller didn't have much to do with the comics anyway.

Actually the first film was also fictional

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

All that water doesn't just go away, the Earth would be another Venus if the oceans evaporated.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

All that water doesn't just go away, the Earth would be another Venus if the oceans evaporated.

It turned out that the Earth was hollow all along. The lizard lobster people in the core just pulled the cork out of the tub.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It turned out that the Earth was hollow all along. The lizard lobster people in the core just pulled the cork out of the tub.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it's in the last episode of LOST.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Why do you care

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Somfin posted:

Why do you care

Because it bothers me. Why do you not?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Removing the oceans requires the equivalent of magic. Who’s to say the wizard evaporated the oceans instead of simply vanishing them?

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 01:05 on Oct 18, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Yeah, basically magic. It's impossible to get all of the liquid water off of the surface, for it to be cold enough for humans to survive, and to be able see the sun. Those conditions are mutually exclusive

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Because it bothers me. Why do you not?

Because the water in the story isn't literal. It's a symbol.

Do you complain about where the robotic world in The Matrix got all its greased-up metal from, too?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
something something sufficiently advanced technology indistinguishable from magic

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Somfin posted:

Because the water in the story isn't literal. It's a symbol.

Do you complain about where the robotic world in The Matrix got all its greased-up metal from, too?

I may be remembering wrong but I'm pretty sure that the oceans being gone is never mentioned in the movie so I don't know what point you're trying to argue here.

It definitely comes up in the side stuff and every time it does it bothers me because it doesn't make any sense, but it doesn't hurt my enjoyment of the media. I can deal.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I got really confused and thought you guys were talking about the lore of the m&m ads.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
Guys, guys, it's a film.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
All that matters with the oceans is it looks cool and results in fairly varied terrain in the PS4 game, which I liked despite the grindy nature of some of it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tired Moritz posted:

I got really confused and thought you guys were talking about the lore of the m&m ads.

M&M stands for Max & Mad

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The Door Frame posted:

Yeah, basically magic. It's impossible to get all of the liquid water off of the surface, for it to be cold enough for humans to survive, and to be able see the sun. Those conditions are mutually exclusive

Obviously it just went back up to the great ice canopy surrounding the planet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Non Serviam posted:

Guys, guys, it's a film.

Yup. Just remember the MST3K mantra. It's just a show. I should relax.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. Just remember the MST3K mantra. It's just a show. I should relax.

It's "I should really just relax", YOU HORRIBLE gently caress!!

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

pienipple posted:

I really want solar road technology to work out.

A new video analysis came out yesterday on the performance of some solar roadways. Not good.

https://youtu.be/GtkbioiQHmA

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is a PC game called East India Company which has the most fitting yet inappropriate review snip - it says "East India Company will pick you up and refuse to let you go for countless hours".
This is perfect considering that, yes, historically they did just that due to their part in the American slave trade.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/spirit-halloween-indigenous-costumes-culture-winnipeg-1.3811089

A seasonal costume company makes really racist costumes and then insists that they're not racist.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I can't believe the same derail that kept popping up in the Fury Road thread came here of all places.

Today's dumb move in marketing, and apologies for no pics as I'm phone posting: recently a new Marvel character was introduced, "Ironheart," a teen hero and Iron Man fan with her own suit. Comic books are still known for "variant" covers to get all that collector money, so they tapped an artist to draw one who is known for doing the typical "impossible sexy girl poses." If you didn't know the character was meant to be 15 you'd probably pass it over without a thought (or roll your eyes and give it a pass), it's not even especially egregious as far as those poses go. But for a company that advertises as being more and more diverse and wanting to cater to different demographics they sure keep falling back on Comic Book Creeper Guy (including the artists who insists it's not his fault for hypersexualing a 15 yo character because "that's who I was told to draw").

I like how the "fix" was to redraw her in the Iron Man suit instead of the belly shirt and yoga pants, but she's still got a broken hip pose. :ughh:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

CommonShore posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/spirit-halloween-indigenous-costumes-culture-winnipeg-1.3811089

A seasonal costume company makes really racist costumes and then insists that they're not racist.

You just know the real reason they refuse to release the sales figures - if the costumes were actually selling you know they would use the popularity as a defence, as it is they are a bad idea that isn't selling but they are doubling down for "~Tradition~"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

BioEnchanted posted:

There is a PC game called East India Company which has the most fitting yet inappropriate review snip - it says "East India Company will pick you up and refuse to let you go for countless hours".
This is perfect considering that, yes, historically they did just that due to their part in the American slave trade.

Not just that but my first thought was "so this game will pick me up at a bar then rape me and lock me in a room all night?" I really don't think I could come up with something worse if I tried.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'll be honest it nearly worked - if it didn't look like a Civ/RTS kind of game which I hate as I am terrible at them, I may have picked it up based on tagline alone.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

BioEnchanted posted:

You just know the real reason they refuse to release the sales figures - if the costumes were actually selling you know they would use the popularity as a defence, as it is they are a bad idea that isn't selling but they are doubling down for "~Tradition~"

They probably just don't want to have to trash a warehouse worth of costumes that aren't selling anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Improbable Lobster posted:

They probably just don't want to have to trash a warehouse worth of costumes that aren't selling anyway.

Trashing them in the name of good PR is worth a shitload more than keeping them on the shelves and then trashing them after Halloween when they didn't sell and getting your company branded lovely and racist.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Since we always talk about the idiocy of Internet marketing, I'd like to share the messages I got yesterday on Instagram.

quote:

I'm Dan. A social media account manager for IG and Twitter. I offer monthly management that increases engagement and followers. Many customers have already started with me.. like @danistevens365 and @americavalente Both personal and business accounts. They have been gaining between 40 and 150 follows a day and great engagement on comments and msgs. If this service interests you...Msg me and ill get you setup with results right away! Thanks. Dan ~ The IG Guru❤

So basically we target an audience. Specific user location keywords and hashtags. Then we preform the actions such as like follow and unfollow to that audience. Since they will be related to your account the engagement will increase and your account will start to grow faster!

gently caress these people.
It's basically the same kind of weird motivational messages (hustle) with the twist of selling you Indonesian followers.
https://www.instagram.com/bolterrr/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

CommonShore posted:

Trashing them in the name of good PR is worth a shitload more than keeping them on the shelves and then trashing them after Halloween when they didn't sell and getting your company branded lovely and racist.

I suspect a fairly small number of people care enough for it to matter in terms of "what temporary store in an vacant supermarket am I gonna buy a last minute costume at?"