Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The only reason I am excited for this is that it's evidence to back the large X-Men relaunch that has been rumored to be brewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Blockhouse posted:

A. everything about Iceman being gay has been handled terribly so far from the word go and B. it's not really 'stepping up' when you can apparently only have one book for a queer character at a time. Whoops, Angela ended, time to bring out the next one!
All-New X-Men has been dealing with it pretty well. v:v:v

There's also that America Chavez book soooo

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BrianWilly posted:

All-New X-Men has been dealing with it pretty well. v:v:v

There's also that America Chavez book soooo

I'll admit, I did forget about that book that also has no creative team attached to it, because that's what Marvel likes to do now for some reason?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

The only reason I am excited for this is that it's evidence to back the large X-Men relaunch that has been rumored to be brewing.

That might help pull in some good numbers I'm assuming. Did X-Men typically do well at your store?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Why does nobody ever mention the upcoming book about Ayo and Aneka from Black Panther when talking about LGBT related books? It was announced well before these other ones.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

Why does nobody ever mention the upcoming book about Ayo and Aneka from Black Panther when talking about LGBT related books? It was announced well before these other ones.

I forgot that even existed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Yvonmukluk posted:

What are they all? I'm not a dedicated Icemanologist.

• Got an accounting degree while hanging out with Beast, eventually joined Champions. I think he dated Firestar too but I have barely dipped into that series
  • Got overpowered in X-Factor, dated the granddaughter of a crime lord, almost exclusively off-camera for almost 20 years.
  • Got mind captured by White Queen, discovered he could do a lot more with his powers than he thought
  • Pined for and followed around Rogue for like 6 months as she explored the south(I guess technically still dating Opal while this happened but the writers understandably forgot)
  • Was totally awesome in AoA (doesn't count)
  • Cool in Wolverine vs X-Men.
  • Discovered he was gay - hasn't really caused any cool stories yet but it caused more prominence for the character.

Uhh . . .I think that's it )=

Rick fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 17, 2016

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blockhouse posted:

don't be pedantic
Originally I was just going to say "what a useless post" but hey, at least being pedantic got you to post something with content!

quote:

For clarification on my stance since I know that's a thing you're into, Iceman has been a boring comedy relief character for most of his sixty year+ existence, there's no creative team or even actual art attached to the project, and there's nothing about this that makes me go "finally Marvel's stepping up their LGBT representation!" because A. everything about Iceman being gay has been handled terribly so far from the word go and B. it's not really 'stepping up' when you can apparently only have one book for a queer character at a time. Whoops, Angela ended, time to bring out the next one!
Cool.

quote:

It's a non-announcement with nothing to make me excited or even remotely interested and I can't imagine anything less interesting than "Iceman solo book with no artist or writer" for an initial announcement for where the X-books are going.
These are all valid points. I apologize for forcing you to make a post full of good points instead of some no effort no caps bullshit!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

That might help pull in some good numbers I'm assuming. Did X-Men typically do well at your store?

Until the last year they were still best sellers for us. Even books like Storm and Cyclops were selling very well for me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Havok peed on him once.

Err'body's trying to determine between young and old Iceman...but there's also that freaky mess of a theory that the young and old X-Men might get merged together or something by the end of this.

X-O posted:

I guess I should be reading that book?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

Originally I was just going to say "what a useless post" but hey, at least being pedantic got you to post something with content!
Cool.
These are all valid points. I apologize for forcing you to make a post full of good points instead of some no effort no caps bullshit!

You know what?

You know what??

you were totally right to yeah

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

BrianWilly posted:

Err'body's trying to determine between young and old Iceman...but there's also that freaky mess of a theory that the young and old X-Men might get merged together or something by the end of this.

I am reasonably certain that the ultimate shakeout of AvI, Death of X, etc. etc. is going to be we are going to be down to only the 05 as alive/heroes. Warren, Scott, and Jean are already replaced, and the timeline may or not be edited to provide them some form of internal continuity of identity; Iceman will either merge or get somehow redacted so we have only one; and Young Beast is going to remain a hero while Adult Hank finally takes the full-bore plunge into unrepentant villainhood. I say this loving the character of Hank: his arc ends in one place, and it's unleashing a plague on some subset of humanity while ranting that no one understands.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

Rumored? They announced ResurrXion a while ago, with more details coming this week.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm probably more excited about the potential of an Iceman series than anything else coming up.
That's not faint praise. I'm interested in seeing what it is. You could go practically anywhere when elevating such a sideline character.

I'm rooting for ya, possibly revitalized, hopefully Greg Land-less X-line!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 17, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rick posted:

• Got an accounting degree while hanging out with Beast, eventually joined Champions. I think he dated Firestar too but I have barely dipped into that series
  • Got overpowered in X-Factor, dated the granddaughter of a crime lord, almost exclusively off-camera for almost 20 years.
  • Got mind captured by White Queen, discovered he could do a lot more with his powers than he thought
  • Pined for and followed around Rogue for like 6 months as she explored the south(I guess technically still dating Opal while this happened but the writers understandably forgot)
  • Was totally awesome in AoA (doesn't count)
  • Cool in Wolverine vs X-Men.
  • Discovered he was gay - hasn't really caused any cool stories yet but it caused more prominence for the character.

Uhh . . .I think that's it )=

So two of those are specifically based his (at the time) attraction to women? That's...kind of awkward to use on the cover. I mean they cropped out Rogue's head but still.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I think that cropped head belongs to Cecilia Reyes. That doctor lady who just...appears and disappears from X-Men books occasionally.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

BrianWilly posted:

Havok peed on him once.

God, that was a bad story.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
Man, I would totally read the adventures of Young Bobby and His Older, Passed Over Self.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

it'd be real weird for laura to have her boyfriend turn into a middle aged man

but it'd be even weirder for jean to merge into a corpse

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Manatee Cannon posted:

it'd be real weird for laura to have her boyfriend turn into a middle aged man

but it'd be even weirder for jean to merge into a corpse
Am I the only one who thinks that Laura and Warren is a lazy pairing that should just go away?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

nah I don't like it either. their relationship seems kinda unhealthy anyway from what I read in all new xmen

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

Rumored? They announced ResurrXion a while ago, with more details coming this week.

Resurrextion could be all of 6 issues and then back to the bullshit we've had for the last year.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that Laura and Warren is a lazy pairing that should just go away?

It's a pairing that existed for a very specific reason that is long past needing to be kept around, made worse by ANX handling it especially tone deaf way

At this point it's the (less bad) X-Men version of Cindy Moon/Peter Parker to me. End it, say "that was certainly a thing, that did happen" then firmly put it in the past and don't look back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Iron Fist really improves once Claremont and Byrne come aboard. Iron Fist's early stories in Marvel Premiere are good but by the end it falls into a predictable pattern familiar to anyone who's ever seen cartoons, Power Rangers, etc. where the beginning and middle of every fight is just the reader waiting until the Iron Fist is unleashed at the end to win the fight. Claremont starts playing around with that almost immediately with Iron Fist's self-titled series and it's much better for it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You know, i really hope Marvel is taking their opportunity to replace Jean and Scott with their younger selves. Scott even without knowing the details of the Noodle Incident was already beyond redemption, so keeping him dead and just having the Cyclops that is running around the younger version gives them the ability to tell new stories. Ditto with Jean. She was so tied down to continuity that there's no way they can bring her back and do anything with her without rejecting Phoenix stuff.

Basically starting over with them is the best idea.

Also Jean needs to date outside of the Mutant community. So maybe, Nova?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, what they've been doing, then?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I hope all the young five die so interesting characters can happen again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, what they've been doing, then?

Yea pretty much. Though I keep hearing people say "oh they're going to bring back Scott and Jean back anytime now" but no one at Marvel has indicated that's going to be a thing anyone has any interest in doing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Scott hasn't even been dead a year.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so the solution to 'Hey the timeline's kind of hosed up if you take them away' is to ignore it? Works for me.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Blockhouse posted:

B. it's not really 'stepping up' when you can apparently only have one book for a queer character at a time. Whoops, Angela ended, time to bring out the next one!

Theoretically Deadpool is still bisexual, so that would make about 20 books with a LGBT-character through him alone!

:(

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Part of the problem is that comic writers, though they possess great enthusiasm for the subject, don't write romance very well no matter what the character's sexuality is. (That's speaking broadly of course, individual writers break the trend here and there.)

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

HIJK posted:

Part of the problem is that comic writers, though they possess great enthusiasm for the subject, don't write romance very well no matter what the character's sexuality is. (That's speaking broadly of course, individual writers break the trend here and there.)

You don't necessarily have to have romance to write an LGBTQ character.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Roth posted:

I hope ResseurXion is a positive change for X-Men, returning them to where they were just so all the people going on about Marvel trying to kill them because of movie rights will finally stop.

Nah, that was X-Men '92.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Genuinely asking: do people reckon the problem with the X-Men is that most writers can't resist the chance to write the classic characters (O5 or Giant-Size team members etc) for the main, direction setting, X-books? Since I've been into comics writers seem to be excited about their X-teams in interviews, but is there a fan pressure or editorial edict possibly? Gillen (Hope and the Lights), Kyle/Yost (Academy X), David (X-Factor) Gage (X-Men Legacy turned into a Rogue/Gambit/Rachel/Frenzy book after Xavier), Liu (X-23 and her team book), Wood (all lady team) and Spurrier (Science Club) are the only writers who come to mind who have had the opportunity (or pushed) to write newer or more obscure characters in the last 10 years or so*, and the New Mutants (original flavour) haven't featured much since their last series ended.

*This seems like a lot more now that I've written them all out than I thought, but they are all side books rather than the main X-books, so maybe it's just tiresome having no real shift post Secret Wars from the Scott and Logan Utopia/X-Tinction stuff post House of M since it's now just Storm going on about the T-Mist occasionally. Even Bunn's team is mostly the Magneto vs Mist show, though Psylocke is prominent to be fair and Monet and Sabretooth feature, but the T-Mist is terribly bland at this point already.

Basically, are we ever gonna get either of the New Mutants generations actually getting team and/or solo books beyond 'Look! It's Anole and some Morrison-era characters! Y'know, the ones he has no interesting history with and will not get the page time to create them!'?

I already miss X-Men '92 and it's still coming out. At least All-New Wolverine is still lighting the way... perhaps the real issue is that Extraordinary X-Men is disappointing, OML is just rehashing stuff now and that All-New is incredibly uneven while Uncanny is just... fine? It's stepped up recently, but that's because Exodus is fabulous and the Archangel stuff beforehand was overwrought in my opinion.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts, this was kinda hard to pin down as I mainlined the X-books, minus Logan's solo books, last year from Messiah CompleX onwards so my perceptions of X-books is rather compressed.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

You know, i really hope Marvel is taking their opportunity to replace Jean and Scott with their younger selves. Scott even without knowing the details of the Noodle Incident was already beyond redemption, so keeping him dead and just having the Cyclops that is running around the younger version gives them the ability to tell new stories. Ditto with Jean. She was so tied down to continuity that there's no way they can bring her back and do anything with her without rejecting Phoenix stuff.

Basically starting over with them is the best idea.

Also Jean needs to date outside of the Mutant community. So maybe, Nova?

Actually, Cyclops was Always Right.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Metalshark posted:

Genuinely asking: do people reckon the problem with the X-Men is that most writers can't resist the chance to write the classic characters (O5 or Giant-Size team members etc) for the main, direction setting, X-books? Since I've been into comics writers seem to be excited about their X-teams in interviews, but is there a fan pressure or editorial edict possibly? Gillen (Hope and the Lights), Kyle/Yost (Academy X), David (X-Factor) Gage (X-Men Legacy turned into a Rogue/Gambit/Rachel/Frenzy book after Xavier), Liu (X-23 and her team book), Wood (all lady team) and Spurrier (Science Club) are the only writers who come to mind who have had the opportunity (or pushed) to write newer or more obscure characters in the last 10 years or so*, and the New Mutants (original flavour) haven't featured much since their last series ended.

*This seems like a lot more now that I've written them all out than I thought, but they are all side books rather than the main X-books, so maybe it's just tiresome having no real shift post Secret Wars from the Scott and Logan Utopia/X-Tinction stuff post House of M since it's now just Storm going on about the T-Mist occasionally. Even Bunn's team is mostly the Magneto vs Mist show, though Psylocke is prominent to be fair and Monet and Sabretooth feature, but the T-Mist is terribly bland at this point already.

Basically, are we ever gonna get either of the New Mutants generations actually getting team and/or solo books beyond 'Look! It's Anole and some Morrison-era characters! Y'know, the ones he has no interesting history with and will not get the page time to create them!'?

I already miss X-Men '92 and it's still coming out. At least All-New Wolverine is still lighting the way... perhaps the real issue is that Extraordinary X-Men is disappointing, OML is just rehashing stuff now and that All-New is incredibly uneven while Uncanny is just... fine? It's stepped up recently, but that's because Exodus is fabulous and the Archangel stuff beforehand was overwrought in my opinion.

Sorry for the rambling thoughts, this was kinda hard to pin down as I mainlined the X-books, minus Logan's solo books, last year from Messiah CompleX onwards so my perceptions of X-books is rather compressed.

I would argue X-Men, almost typically being one of Marvel's highest sellers, did not in fact have a problem. At least not a problem in making money. When it comes to a problem with stories I'd posit more that it's because all the characters range between passable and unlikeable assholes.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Metalshark posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men was basically this up to Secret Wars or so, but even then, the adults were still a big focus (I'd bet, off the top of my head, that Glob Herman's never made the Team Members section on the recap page, for example).

All-New is really the perfect place to have a junior team, too, with the whole them being on a road trip thing. It's just that it's being crowded by the original five. Kick Angel and Beast out of there, keep Cyclops, Evan, and Idie, and throw in some of the Lights or the New X-Men characters (or Hope! What the hell has she been doing since being a disembodied voice in X-Force?!).

Also, Rockslide belongs on a team. It doesn't matter if he's still a teenager, he's basically immortal anyway. I'll settle for a Rockslide solo series, though.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I just realised that I completely forgot about Bendis' run too, and he obviously created newer characters. I think a distillation of my above ramblings are that I am ready for a fresh start for the X-Men (even if this is going back to a mansion and students like X-Men '92 and not new) after the coming miniseries, while being aware that I have binged a lot of X-Men stuff recently so that my perception might be different to that of long-time readers.

I was also going to say that it would nice to have the mutant-wide stakes be lower for a while, but asking for breathing room between events for mainline Marvel books at the moment is a big ask.

Rochallor posted:

Wolverine and the X-Men was basically this up to Secret Wars or so, but even then, the adults were still a big focus (I'd bet, off the top of my head, that Glob Herman's never made the Team Members section on the recap page, for example).

All-New is really the perfect place to have a junior team, too, with the whole them being on a road trip thing. It's just that it's being crowded by the original five. Kick Angel and Beast out of there, keep Cyclops, Evan, and Idie, and throw in some of the Lights or the New X-Men characters (or Hope! What the hell has she been doing since being a disembodied voice in X-Force?!).

Also, Rockslide belongs on a team. It doesn't matter if he's still a teenager, he's basically immortal anyway. I'll settle for a Rockslide solo series, though.

poo poo, I forgot Aaron too, though you're right that the adults were a big focus. Totally agree on your other points too, I really liked Hope and the Lights and Rockslide is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
One of my issues with the X-Men at the moment is Storm. She's *important*, she's iconic, she's a Big loving Deal...but she hasn't been anything approaching interesting or actually important storywise in decades, no one knows what to do with her so she just becomes a boring, personality free drag who never has any real drama around her. She's the stoic, dependable rock at the centre of it all and it's stagnant as hell. If they really wanted to shake things up, they'd either poo poo or get off the pot and do something with her or take her off the board for a while instead of all this meaningless half-measure bullshit with Cyke and Logan who already have young/old dupes running around.

Of course it's her very iconic status that means they can't kill her or risk the outcry of doing something too spicy with her. So she's doomed to this constant state of dull mediocrity which is the last thing she deserves.

• Locked thread