Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Is that actually true though? Like if you look at international examples, the Dutch don't smoke nearly as much weed as their neighbours who still criminalise it

I was joking. I have no idea about the actual statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I assumed the statistics about who smokes pot right after its legalized would be highly volatile for a while and lend themselves to whatever interpretation anyone would want to make, and then settle into some new equilibrium later.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Does she get concerned about the liquor section in her supermarket?
Lots of states don't let you sell anything harder than wine at private stores, only state-run liquor stores.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assumed the statistics about who smokes pot right after its legalized would be highly volatile for a while and lend themselves to whatever interpretation anyone would want to make, and then settle into some new equilibrium later.

Sounds like some poo poo a stoner would say.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

My thinking in general is that the exact same amount of people smoke pot as before. Not sure what the figures are.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

I cast my vote for Hillary today in Indiana. This was my first early voting experience and it was pretty awesome. I fully recommend it if you don't already do it.

Who knows, we may get lucky. I don't think so though, based off work conversations and trump signs in yards. I think Indiana is going to stay a healthy red this year.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Assuming Trump has no path to victory, does he have a path to a Florida-2000-recount scenario?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The stuff about him using the KATIA Project is really super skeevy, although why would you choose an alleged rapist to front something like this. And using Wikileaks to attack ToddandClare and female employees of the company is the worst.

BTW, The Guardian is reporting that Wikileaks is saying that it was Ecuador that cut his feed. They're claiming that they're still willing to protect his political asylum, but haven't given a motivation regarding why they cut his WiFi.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Assange seems genuinenly like a narcissistic POS who probably is guilty of a lot of what he's allegedly done, but the sources behind that are legit fishy unless something new came out. Also the general premise doesn't make a lot of sense: why is an 8 year old on a dating site?

The 8-year old is a younger sister of a member. I'm not sure how he contacted her after that.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

Does she get concerned about the liquor section in her supermarket?

Listen if you had kids like hers you'd ALSO need to drink a glass (bottle) of wine a day.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Assuming Trump has no path to victory, does he have a path to a Florida-2000-recount scenario?
In theory he has a very small chance.

In practice, :fork: but go for chrissakes vote

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

dont even fink about it posted:

If Wikileaks had jack poo poo we would have seen it by now. What we are getting now are the blubberings of a narcissist who has made common cause with a tyrant because he's the only guy who doesn't care if he's brought up on charges.

No no, I don't think wikileaks has jack poo poo, I'm just wondering if in the middle of all this absolutely nothingness, they'll release a little thing thats completely made up, but looks like THE BIGGEST SHOCKER EVER with no time before the election to say 'lol no this is false' and have it drift out of the media cycle.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Re: GOP downfall, surely it's a split rather than a downfall? It seems to me like a party of rich neoliberal free-marketeers who have realised they can win over uneducated poor people by appealing to racism, culture wars etc. Which is pretty much the same as conservative parties all over the English speaking world, with the obvious difference that in the UK (for example) they're absolutely killing it and ushering in a 1000-year reich, whereas in the US they pushed it too far and nominated an unelectable demagogue (at least in the presidential elections).

From a zoomed out viewpoint Trump really just feels like Tea Party 2.0, or a personality-driven aberration, and next election cycle we're just going to go back to dog-whistling and committee-chosen GOP candidates and the entire Republican establishment will have a stiff drink and pretend this never happened. The only alternative I can see is a split between the Trumpist burn-it-all-down base and the more civilised gently caress-the-poor suit-wearing Rubios and Cruzes, which ushers in decades of Democrat rule, which just seems like too nice an option for the universe to ever allow.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

dont even fink about it posted:

My thinking in general is that the exact same amount of people smoke pot as before. Not sure what the figures are.
I figured it would be a bit more but who cares? The whole idea of legalizing pot is that it's just not a very big deal. It being a crime is a big deal.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Harton posted:

Who knows, we may get lucky. I don't think so though, based off work conversations and trump signs in yards. I think Indiana is going to stay a healthy red this year.

Based on the yard signs in my corner of Indiana, Gary Johnson is going to win in a landslide.

Yard signs are meaningless.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

gradenko_2000 posted:

If Trump has no paths to victory the election can't be close.

If the margin was 2 points or less you could theoretically have enough states to matter to be within 0.5-1 points, but if she's winning by 3 or more she's going to win enough EVs to require large scale shenanigans to steal the election 2000 style, the sort of shenanigans that Trump are calling and which are impossible to pull off because you'd need to rig the election within multiple states. At this point she's more likely to win by 10 than by 2.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Samurai Sanders posted:

I figured it would be a bit more but who cares? The whole idea of legalizing pot is that it's just not a very big deal. It being a crime is a big deal.

Most people who want to use marijuana, already do so whether it's legal or not.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

Eh who knows, lots of unsupported assertions. I would personally smoke a little more if it was legal here, but then maybe I'd get bored after a while. :iiam:

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Theris posted:

Based on the yard signs in my corner of Indiana, Gary Johnson is going to win in a landslide.

Broad Ripple

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Eh who knows, lots of unsupported assertions. I would personally smoke a little more if it was legal here, but then maybe I'd get bored after a while. :iiam:

Fair enough, I admit that I'm just going off my own anecdotal experience since my state legalized recreational use last year. I only know one person who never tried it before solely because it was illegal. I think you probably get former casual users who might use it more because it's legal. I've only done it a few times since it's been legal and it just kind of bores me now. :shrug:

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Theris posted:

Yeah they may be meaningless but they sure piss me the gently caress off. One benefit is that it's like hanging a giant "stupid rear end in a top hat" banner on your house.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I wonder what percentage that actually is, though. What fraction of the populace wants to try marijuana but refuses because it's illegal? Half? Over half? Would marijuana be as popular as alcohol if not for its legal status?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Harton posted:

Yeah they may be meaningless but they sure piss me the gently caress off. One benefit is that it's like hanging a giant "stupid rear end in a top hat" banner on your house.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Lots of states don't let you sell anything harder than wine at private stores, only state-run liquor stores.

Aren't they like

always right next door tho

owned by the same company?

I thought it was only PA that does all state-run

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Aren't they like

always right next door tho

owned by the same company?

I thought it was only PA that does all state-run
http://www.thekitchn.com/buying-liquor-state-vs-private-141292

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I know, the Kitchn kinda sucks, but this article is a pretty quick glance at it. Also it's not sponsored content.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Based on where I live in Indiana (Bloomingon), Clinton is going to secure the state easily and Gregg will be swept in with a comfy 30 point margin

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fair enough, I admit that I'm just going off my own anecdotal experience since my state legalized recreational use last year. I only know one person who never tried it before solely because it was illegal. I think you probably get former casual users who might use it more because it's legal. I've only done it a few times since it's been legal and it just kind of bores me now. :shrug:

Mostly as I get older weed is more of a paranoid than fun buzz. But maybe that's because I'm more of a stupid rear end in a top hat and people actually are bitching about me :staredog:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I know, the Kitchn kinda sucks, but this article is a pretty quick glance at it. Also it's not sponsored content.

Well in Indiana we'll be fighting medical marijuana by the time every other state has legal weed and our hard liquor is right next to the peanut butter :colbert:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I wonder what percentage that actually is, though. What fraction of the populace wants to try marijuana but refuses because it's illegal? Half? Over half? Would marijuana be as popular as alcohol if not for its legal status?

I could be totally wrong but it seems like marijuana has become so mainstream and it's pretty much everywhere that I have a hard time imagining the person who would be adventurous enough to try it but so square that they don't because it's illegal. They totally exist but it just seems like such a weird type of person to me.

I will say if employment drug screens weren't a thing, I think you'd have a lot more users because of that.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

QuarkJets posted:

Anecdotally, it seems that weed is more self-limiting than alcohol. People who get paranoid from weed just don't use, whereas people who suffer negative effects from booze keep using in larger numbers. I know a lot of people who get sick from alcohol yet still drink regularly.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's also out-of-date. We privatised liquor sales in Washington a while ago. Turns out Costco has a lot of political pull in the state where it's headquartered, who knew? :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

lozzle posted:

It's also out-of-date. We privatised liquor sales in Washington a while ago. Turns out Costco has a lot of political pull in the state where it's headquartered, who knew? :shrug:
Oh yeah, I didn't even look to see if stuff was still in date. Washington liquor privatization has been terrible for consumers, lmao.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Also smaller liquor companies.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

lozzle posted:

I live in Oregon so I remember a little bit about when that happened. The :qq: from the groups against privatized sales was pretty funny, if I remember right.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't even look to see if stuff was still in date. Washington liquor privatization has been terrible for consumers, lmao.

Did it really have a negative effect? I just remember it sounded like a lot of scare mongering from people who had in interest in keeping their monopoly and "what about the children" types.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

That makes me physically ill. I feel bad for anybody who has to drive past that on the way to work every day.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The Republicans want to cause a constitutional crisis don't they?

http://www.npr.org/2016/10/17/498328520/sen-mccain-says-republicans-will-block-all-court-nominations-if-clinton-wins

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Fishers/Lawrence/NE Indy. Trump signs fade out and change to Clinton signs as you get into Indy, but it feels like there's always at least as many Johnson signs as either major candidate. They're usually in places other than yards, so I'm sure it's a couple dedicated lolbertarians loading up their car and scattering them around.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did it really have a negative effect? I just remember it sounded like a lot of scare mongering from people who had in interest in keeping their monopoly and "what about the children" types.
It's great if you like to get the most alcohol for the lowest prices. It's not great if you like having a wide selection, or if you care about quality, or if you want something local or specialized. But if you just want a giant jug of Kirkland vodka it's fantastic. Oh, also there's a rule that a store has to have a certain square footage to carry hard alcohol, so no starting your own liquor store either.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

don't doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I have a hunch that the concession speech will be given by Pence.

• Locked thread