Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

If you're better than your teammates you should be playing a clicker guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

It's hosed up but the worst player on the team in a perfect world should be playing the black guy as long as that person has a brain in their head and a hand on the keyboard.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
In quick play it doesn't matter what support you play. Most people will break line of sight, chasing kills or health packs.

Quick play character selection for me frequently looks like this:

1. The first 4 players pick dps.
2. The onus is on the last 2 players to actually pick heroes with some team utility but then the 5th player picks hanzo. Now you have 2x hanzos, a genji, a bastion and a junkrat leaving you (the last to pick) with the silent expectation of picking a healer/tank.

Random team comp mind games ensue. You can opt to gently caress with everyone and pick a 3rd hanzo, which will prompt someone to say "we have no healers or tanks". Now you can place bets on how far into the objective it takes for someone to switch.

No matter what, if you pick a support, there is a high likelihood you will get the most commendations. This is your consolation prize for volunteering to be the team garbage man. The toilet cleaner. The one trying to mop up the foul smelling detritus of your team's fallen corpses as they graveyard zerg to the point.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

painted into a coroner posted:

Doesnt your beam ignore his shield?

It does not (because that would be hideously op) but if you get close enough to him your gun will clip through the shield hitbox and hit him.

To answer the previous question: laser always does more dps on a single target assuming you can track them, and since burning down the shield is quite literally like shooting the broadside of a barn you should have 100% accuracy or close to it.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

terrified of my bathroom posted:

It does not (because that would be hideously op) but if you get close enough to him your gun will clip through the shield hitbox and hit him.

To answer the previous question: laser always does more dps on a single target assuming you can track them, and since burning down the shield is quite literally like shooting the broadside of a barn you should have 100% accuracy or close to it.

Ah oops. I thought it was the same as DVA's defence matrix!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Symmetra's laser chainsaw really loving hurts.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Spudd posted:

Symmetra's laser chainsaw really loving hurts.

it's kind of apropos in a discussion about zarya because it does equal damage at full charge to zarya's laser at full charge. except it doesn't have to deal with tracking/hit detection issues, so in practice it actually does more damage than zarya's laser.

you might say it's surprisingly strong.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like if Sym could build ult charge at 1/2 speed while she has a teleporter out, she'd be great. Use that ult to add +6 charges to the current teleporter if one exists, or place a new one.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

6 1/2 hours for the Sombra count up to end and then we get a count down that goes until midnight on New Years, which ends in a single firework explosion with the image of Sombra's purple skull.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kashuno posted:

I feel like if Sym could build ult charge at 1/2 speed while she has a teleporter out, she'd be great. Use that ult to add +6 charges to the current teleporter if one exists, or place a new one.

That would be convenient, but I don't feel the ult is what holds her back.

I want a movement ability on Symmetra. It's her lack of maneuverability that makes everything an uphill fight with her. Then again, it would also break her if she could get around faster though. Speed amp or nanoboost a Symmetra and see what happens. I don't envy the people trying to rework her.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I think Symmetra needs to be able to lock down areas better. Maybe make it so her turrets reveal the enemy to her so she can make better decisions when she goes in to kill them.

They also need to increase the velocity of her right click when it is fired and slow it down after a short period, so she can use it up close to put some damage onto people.

Like if Torbjorn is good at locking down open spaces, Symmetra should be good at locking down rooms.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

lucioball was bad and you should go buy rocket league

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Donnerberg posted:

That would be convenient, but I don't feel the ult is what holds her back.

I want a movement ability on Symmetra. It's her lack of maneuverability that makes everything an uphill fight with her. Then again, it would also break her if she could get around faster though. Speed amp or nanoboost a Symmetra and see what happens. I don't envy the people trying to rework her.
Zarya/lucio/ana/sym comp?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ran into my first hacker today. A soldier76 that NEVER misses can roll everyone.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Ran into my first hacker today. A soldier76 that NEVER misses can roll everyone.

Are you sure that he wasn't just using his ult?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Are you sure that he wasn't just using his ult?

Lol yes i know what 76 ult looks like. He even got potg and it showed him hacking. Everyone was like whoa, how did you head shot the enemy team across the entire map without missing?!

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I think he was using his ult.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yeah, the way Soldier 76's ultimate ability works, is that he has an"aimbot" type system where he doesn't have to aim and is still able to land every shot.

That's probably what you saw.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
Soldier 76 is actually a genius character to use an aimbot with because anyone who complains about it is just going to be told "that's his ult you idiot"

I've never played with an aimbot, is it basically like having Soldier 76's ult activated all the time?

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Schneider Inside Her posted:

They also need to increase the velocity of her right click when it is fired and slow it down after a short period, so she can use it up close to put some damage onto people.

If you are right clicking people that are close to you as Symmetra, you are playing Symmetra wrong. If you hop around like a madman, look vaguely in their direction, and hold down fire, you can pretty much grind down any non-tank character in a couple seconds flat.

The only time you should be orbing is to poke at Reinhardt holding up a shield or prefiring a corner.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the orb is bad but since symmetra is supposed to be a support anyway i don't think it being bad is an issue, especially since the chainsaw is good. tweaking it should be pretty low on the priority list for a symmetra rework.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Soldier 76 ult aims for center torso rather than headshots, it's really noticeable on TTK for higher-health players like Roadhog.
That being said, I've seen a Soldier76 hacking, his aimbot was even on during ult, the center of his screen snapping to enemy players.

The 'mouse-over shoot-bots' are impossible to detect though; no computer assisted accuracy but they never miss a shot when they sweep their crosshair over you.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Soldier 76 is actually a genius character to use an aimbot with because anyone who complains about it is just going to be told "that's his ult you idiot"

I've never played with an aimbot, is it basically like having Soldier 76's ult activated all the time?

Pretty much. On kill cams his crosshair wouldn't move and he would have no bullet spread at all. It was like having his ult but not having the big glowy face plate. Technically the ult was better because it vould lock down multiple targets, but without it his crosshair would just glue to your head and not miss, even from 60+ yards.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
The sole Symmetra fix should just be increasing her maximum number of turrets and the rate at which her turrets recharge

Jastiger posted:

Pretty much. On kill cams his crosshair wouldn't move and he would have no bullet spread at all. It was like having his ult but not having the big glowy face plate. Technically the ult was better because it vould lock down multiple targets, but without it his crosshair would just glue to your head and not miss, even from 60+ yards.

Oh, then sorry to doubt you earlier. Why would an aimbot get rid of bullet spread, though?

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 18, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Like the poste above said it was a mouse over shooter thing. He still had to get the screen on you, but hed never miss or have spread.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

To fix Symmetra just make her like Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat. She has her own abilities but input an obscure code and she uses her force field tech to replicate the abilities of one of the other characters. "Such a lack of imagination" as she smacks Reinhardt into the ground with a copy of his own hammer or has mech duels with D.Va.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way an aimbot removes spread?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

With hitscan I believe it just tells the server that the reticle was over the targets head

I think it's literally just packet injections but I'm not 100% sure

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Kashuno posted:

Is there any way an aimbot removes spread?

The old 76 could be abused with a macro that exploited the quick spread reset timer. Though I think changing spread values requires actual modification of the .exe vs a cheat the hooks in to the game.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

IronDoge posted:

If you are right clicking people that are close to you as Symmetra, you are playing Symmetra wrong. If you hop around like a madman, look vaguely in their direction, and hold down fire, you can pretty much grind down any non-tank character in a couple seconds flat.

The only time you should be orbing is to poke at Reinhardt holding up a shield or prefiring a corner.

I think it's a decent way to open a fight -- whipping around a corner w/ your charged orb like a really lovely reaper.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's really frustrating because I have two different impulses going on when I que up competitive:

1. PLAYING MERCY IS SO loving FUN and playing other supports is kind of boring for me.
2. I'm a competitive person and I can see very clearly that my team would have a better chance to win if I went Lucio even though I have like 1/10th the mastery of Lucio I do of Mercy.

I think it's just something I'm going to have to get used to though or quit the game. I never played a MOBA, I assume that when you are constantly adding new characters you just can't make such a massive cast all equally competitively viable. But just, it's really frustrating because I want to be playing Mercy.

I feel like the score fix for Mercy is just score her percentage healed/1.75 the same as elims for DPS characters but I don't know if such a thing is possible.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

bagrada posted:

To fix Symmetra just make her like Shang Tsung from Mortal Kombat. She has her own abilities but input an obscure code and she uses her force field tech to replicate the abilities of one of the other characters. "Such a lack of imagination" as she smacks Reinhardt into the ground with a copy of his own hammer or has mech duels with D.Va.

Make this her ult, then make her shields passive and give her a mobility ability to create platforms in midair so she can get to high ground and around weird places to surprise chainsaw people. We already know from genji and pharah that speed mobility isn't the only one that matters, verticality can be used creatively. It even fits her character a little better.

Then make her and torb into defense characters or make a new category called "builders"

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Make this her ult, then make her shields passive and give her a mobility ability to create platforms in midair so she can get to high ground and around weird places to surprise chainsaw people. We already know from genji and pharah that speed mobility isn't the only one that matters, verticality can be used creatively. It even fits her character a little better.

Then make her and torb into defense characters or make a new category called "builders"

Torb's already a defense character.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Jastiger posted:

Lol yes i know what 76 ult looks like. He even got potg and it showed him hacking. Everyone was like whoa, how did you head shot the enemy team across the entire map without missing?!

Its weird that these aimbotters always go for the obvious choices- Soldier76, McCree, etc. I think it would be more subtle if it were being done by a Torbjorn or Mei RMB.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Panfilo posted:

Its weird that these aimbotters always go for the obvious choices- Soldier76, McCree, etc. I think it would be more subtle if it were being done by a Torbjorn or Mei RMB.

gotta be hitscan though don't it?

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Panfilo posted:

I was under the impression they really only work super well for hitscan characters? Maybe I'm wrong here.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Fusion Restaurant posted:

I was under the impression they really only work super well for hitscan characters? Maybe I'm wrong here.

Prediction bots are still pretty good, just not flawless if the enemy has extreme movement capabilities like Blink.

Edit: from the ones I've seen, they usually target center torso instead of the head, I'm guessing it's so it'll still hit if the target jumps or falls .

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Even in the best case an aimbot can't predict if the player will decide to move in a different direction. It could calculate distance and the arc of your shot, and where to fire assuming the movement of an enemy stays constant. It's more complicated and can't possibly be as accurate as it would be for a hitscan character.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Duck and Cover posted:

Even in the best case an aimbot can't predict if the player will decide to move in a different direction. It could calculate distance and the arc of your shot, and where to fire assuming the movement of an enemy stays constant. It's more complicated and can't possibly be as accurate as it would be for a hitscan character.

Though in a way if a person really wanted to be a dirty cheater, that's even better- All it has to do is be a better aim than the player himself. In kill cams/potg seeing a person plink a few headshots along with some misses is more plausible than a reticle that instantly snaps to everybody's head. That's why I thought Torb (whose projectile drops over distance) or Mei (who has a delay when she shoots icicles) would be more clever to hide an aimbot in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Hit scan works best.

The delay caused by projectile speed from crosshairs-on-target until the actual impact would make a mouse-over aimbot pretty worthless. That being said, there are programs out there that will adjust your aim automatically based on projectile speed but they're likely a bit more in-depth than most hackers at the QP level are willing to go.