Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

rear end Catchcum posted:

Stfu about that maz statue.

apparantly the statue was a gift to her from her husband.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm still curious as to what regulatory body oversees the reading and interpretation of artistic works. According to some people in this thread, we might very well be in violation of the law!

Edit: Maz's statue of herself is baller and that's all we need to know

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It's analogous to a peacock displaying his feathers as a show of status. You aren't backing down?? I must display harder and become aggressive! What, you still say you like them? That's not fair, you're not playing by the rules!
There is nothing wrong with liking the prequels. Liking them doesn't invalidate people's criticisms though.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Stfu about that maz statue. The only people that bring it up are people who enjoy the prequels and it's because they read way too much into things (because, with the prequels, you HAVE to read too much into them to get anything of substance).

could you write up a list of permitted tfa subjects tia

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

I'm still curious as to what regulatory body oversees the reading and interpretation of artistic works. According to some people in this thread, we might very well be in violation of the law!

Edit: Maz's statue of herself is baller and that's all we need to know

The problem seems to be that prequel talk ruins their fun, and makes it impossible to talk about the things that they want to talk about. What those things are exactly is unclear, but I guess the idea is that we'd find out if only we'd stop clogging up the thread with prequel nonsense.

Of course, as I pointed out, we stopped talking about the prequels for several days last week and the thread went completely silent. Nobody stepped in and was like "hell yea now its our time!" Nobody said poo poo.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

The problem is speculation. We cant really talk about TFA without prequel tards droning on about how Snoke is Jar Jar loving Binks or Mace Windu.

Hyperbole of course but the point is we cant talk too much about it without rampant speculation

Sorry about all those awful prequel-likers constantly victimizing you.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

sassassin posted:

How does not knowing what's going to happen in a sequel make it impossible to talk about a film that has actually been released?

Are people waiting till they're all out before watching?

I think a lot of the meaning of TFA hinges on the missing backstory. For instance, it's hard to interpret Kylo Ren's actions when we don't understand what drove him away from his family. It's similar for Rey—there are a lot of hints that she's Luke's daughter, but we don't really know anything about how she ended up on Jakku, and that information is pretty crucial for understanding both Rey and Luke as characters.

This also happened to a lesser extent with TPM. Without the other two prequels to provide context, most of TPM's subtle ironies go unnoticed, and the experience of watching young Darth Vader as a sweet little kid seems more bizarre.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

The problem seems to be that prequel talk ruins their fun, and makes it impossible to talk about the things that they want to talk about. What those things are exactly is unclear, but I guess the idea is that we'd find out if only we'd stop clogging up the thread with prequel nonsense.

Of course, as I pointed out, we stopped talking about the prequels for several days last week and the thread went completely silent. Nobody stepped in and was like "hell yea now its our time!" Nobody said poo poo.

I suspect that once Rogue One is released the thread will get a shot in the arm. But until then, there's not much to talk about on the "new Star Wars" front.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Serf posted:

I suspect that once Rogue One is released the thread will get a shot in the arm. But until then, there's not much to talk about on the "new Star Wars" front.

So close the thread until then?

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

people who wine about what's being talked about in this thread are basically indy from last crusade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dxh-_GR5Ns

(7m34s)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

So close the thread until then?

I love this thread, please don't close it mods :ohdear:

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sassassin posted:

How does not knowing what's going to happen in a sequel make it impossible to talk about a film that has actually been released?

Are people waiting till they're all out before watching?

It normally doesn't - but, in the case of TFA itself, there's seriously nothing to talk about.

RLM barely produced ten minutes of commentary on the subject. I ran out of stuff to say after a few posts.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's a little telling that the most extensive discussion about TFA in the last six months has been people speculating about Rey's heritage and trying to make it anyone but the obvious person.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

computer parts posted:

It's a little telling that the most extensive discussion about TFA in the last six months has been people speculating about Rey's heritage and trying to make it anyone but the obvious person.

Like I said, it's an attemptat making characters like Snoke interesting. In the movie he's a garbage character, but maybe he's actually Plaguis!

Darth Plaguis, who only exists in a few lines of dialogue, is the far more interesting character. And he's from the prequels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Star Wars'a official twitter tweeted this today. All but confirmed that long held fan theory.

Serf
May 5, 2011

My hope is that Snoke's hologrammical nature is a double fakeout and he actually is a giant.

Keep Star Wars Weird

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wonder how long the Knights of Ren have been around. Did the Jedi ever know about them or did they pop up in the years after the Empire collapsed (or during it)?

quote:

Darth Plaguis, who only exists in a few lines of dialogue, is the far more interesting character. And he's from the prequels.

The only way that would be interesting is if he virgin birthed Rey too, for whatever reason. Who cares otherwise?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Why does rey even gotta be related to anyone

Also notice how TFA tied itself to the OT and forsake the prequels. And was much more well received and made more money. The sequel trilogy is a return to form for star wars after a tragic misstep. We are now in a position to move forward and leave the awkward middle period behind.

Also lol @ prequel likers saying itt that TFA was a bad movie b/c they cant over analyse and over intellectualize it b/c it did a good job. You see the movie and absorb it all and have mystery left over. It is solid where the prequels are porous. Their quality is so lacking that you MUST dig deep through a mountain of poo poo to find any substance (and much of that substance is imagined).

I will also say that people who harp about parentage miss the point. We are supposed to talk about substantive things not speculation in general. There is nothing to talk about because TFA built a good foundation. There is nothing loose that needs to be debated or discussed. There are no holes that need to be filled with spergy bullshit

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder how long the Knights of Ren have been around. Did the Jedi ever know about them or did they pop up in the years after the Empire collapsed (or during it)?

They appear to be a post-OT organization set up either by Snoke or Kylo.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I wonder how long the Knights of Ren have been around

I bet they popped up in the Jedi/Sith vacuum

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Also notice how TFA tied itself to the OT and forsake the prequels. And was much more well received and made more money. The sequel trilogy is a return to form for star wars after a tragic misstep. We are now in a position to move forward and leave the awkward middle period behind.

How did it "forsake the prequels"?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Basebf555 posted:

The problem seems to be that [unpopular movie talk] ruins their fun, and makes it impossible to talk about the things that they want to talk about. What those things are exactly is unclear, but I guess the idea is that we'd find out if only we'd stop clogging up the thread with [unpopular movie talk].

Of course, as I pointed out, we stopped talking about [unpopular movies] for several days last week and the thread went completely silent. Nobody stepped in and was like "hell yea now its our time!" Nobody said poo poo.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like I said, it's an attemptat making characters like Snoke interesting. In the movie he's a garbage character, but maybe he's actually Plaguis!

Youre placing undue importance on Snoke. Snoke is secondary. A means to drive the story. He isnt important at this time but youre trying to make him important.

He will be relevant LATER.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Phi230 posted:

Youre placing undue importance on Snoke. Snoke is secondary. A means to drive the story. He isnt important at this time but youre trying to make him important.

Just like Thanos.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Phi230 posted:

phi230 what is your favorite scene from tfa and why?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

How did it "forsake the prequels"?

There is an understanding that JJ tried to return to the true path (OT) in all forms. That the prequel trilogy was irrelevant in TFAs creation.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

There is an understanding that JJ tried to return to the true path (OT) in all forms. That the prequel trilogy was irrelevant in TFAs creation.

"There is an understanding" where?

computer parts posted:

Just like Thanos.

If the movie Thanos kills Spider-Man by sealing his head in a block of concrete, it will all be worth it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

computer parts posted:

They appear to be a post-OT organization set up either by Snoke or Kylo.

It'd be amazing if it turns out that, like Kylo, it's all a facade for incredibly whiny babies that he created like two days after running away from the Jedi.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

I ran out of stuff to say after a few posts.

My favorite part of TFA.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

My favorite part of TFA.

what is your favorite scene from tfa and why?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I like the maz cantina scene because it reminded me of the ot cantina and I thought some of the costumes were gorgeous.

Serf
May 5, 2011

My favorite scene from TFA is when Rey returns to her home before meeting BB-8. It was a nice quiet moment with a lot going on in the background. My favorite detail was the little doll she had made for herself that looked like a Rebel pilot.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phi230 posted:

He is irrelevant now.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

i like the part when the first order attacks the bar and the xwings fly in and poe blasts a bunch of tie fighters and storm troopers. then finn says something stupid but it was a cool scene

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Waffles Inc. posted:

phi230 what is your favorite scene from tfa and why?

1. When Rey has the flasbacks by touching the saber and subsequently rejecting them and running away.

This is a classic step on the heroes' 12 step program, rejection of the call. She is enamoured with jedi and the force but is afraid when encounters it and runs. Very humanizing. Return to Star Wars by adding mysticism.

2. When Finn takes up arms against Kylo. Finn isnt a fighter and he knows this. But to defend his friend he nuts up and fights. Characterization of loyalty. Good.

That entire last scene is great. We finally have a cathartic, visceral, emotional sword fight where the characters we care about are the crux, not flashy lightsabers being the focus.

Although I admit cinematographically TFA is....safe. Nothing amazing but nothing boring either. Star Destroyer crashed in background is the only really stunning shot. Kylo's conflict on the bridge with han is good with half his face in red/darkness is a good shot.

I suspect Rogue One is gonna have some excellent shots. The trailers already have more good examplesthan TFA. Or all the prequels combined

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

He is irrelevant now.

Yes this is what I said.

We still have 2 movies to find out bro

The Emperor was not relevant in 4 or 5 either.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
It would be cool if Rey was a former knight of ren herself but left before kylo came so he didn't know her but she knew everything he did. So, the end was her showing her hand and it would open up a bunch of possibilities for who she is and what it meant for her to meet luke.

But they showed her abandoned as a child, so she just a force prodigy *space angel* and her character is defined by who her parents are.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kly posted:

i like the part when the first order attacks the bar and the xwings fly in and poe blasts a bunch of tie fighters and storm troopers. then finn says something stupid but it was a cool scene

Strawman plus clutching pearls i guess

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Yes this is what I said.

We still have 2 movies to find out bro

The Emperor was not relevant in 4 or 5 either.

I'm confused by this, because I remembered you also said this:

Phi230 posted:

Let me ask:

If melville wrote a prequel to moby dick, would you then go back to moby dick and retroactively change your views of it?

No, because chronological order of creation of art is important. The originals always take precedence, and are independent of what comes after.

What is derived from an original work is where the change is seen.

The prequels do not have the authority to make retroactive changes. Their authority is minimally persuasive.

So if Snoke is irrelevant now, how would finding out more about him later on retroactively change your opinion of TFA? I thought you said that's impossible?

Is it because Disney has told you that they have all of this planned out in advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's only one tiny part of a movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r0b_XeRkG4

Themes, characterization, dialogues and acting are another important part too. Movies can be good for different reasons, with different aspects being good and bad. And then tast eintervenes, with different people putting emphasis on different aspects. One of my favorite movies is almost entirely dialogue, with not much else (the french Le Diner de Con) while others are pure audio visual feast with almost no story.

Never said visuals aren't important. Themes, characterization, and plot being delivered through visuals is extremely my poo poo. I just don't see it happening at all in the prequels, other than the odd scene in RotS.

• Locked thread