Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

neongrey posted:

It goes in a butt.

It looks like the arm of a vice grip attached to an adjustable wrench

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr. F! posted:

It looks like the arm of a vice grip attached to an adjustable wrench

Yeah that's what it is. The vice grip part acts like a lock so the adjustable wrench won't slip off.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

taqueso posted:

Yeah that's what it is. The vice grip part acts like a lock so the adjustable wrench won't slip off.

Oh that's neat.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
Not pictured, but got a PS4 slim to replace our old original that kept randomly ejecting discs. It comes with the latest COD +MW remaster, but only in download codes and we just don't have the data cap to justify 130GB yet.

Also not pictured, new glasses. I broke my old pair playing basketball. They're tortoiseshell with a tan interior.

Goodbye money :homebrew:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

PCOS Bill posted:

None of that goes in a butt.

so much for the initiative and "can-do" attitude ostensibly at the heart of modern American conservatism

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oddhair posted:

As to actual purchases I just bought Battlefield 1 for PS4 so I can play with my IRL gaming friends and I'm so close to just buying it for PC as well so I can play this weekend.

You can play on console right now with EA Access.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RCarr posted:

You can play on console right now with EA Access.

Oh yeah ten hours isn't that right?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

After reading about the cost and functionality of that appealing little fidget cube, I just decided to order one of these off of Amazon for two bucks:

I'd completely forgotten that they exist and I find them extremely satisfying.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
A 15kg chunk of copper wire (33lbs for the metrically disadvantaged) in the shape of a variable transformer.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
A Variac? What are you using it for?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

TotalLossBrain posted:

A Variac? What are you using it for?

Powering up some old valve equipment gently. Mostly this Telefunken S82:

Not my photo, but I also have the matching speakers. Picked mine up for cheap as a student a few years ago, been fixing it up bit by bit, but it got put into storage as I moved somewhere I didn't have space to tinker with my stuff. But now I have space again.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Jeza posted:

Powering up some old valve equipment gently. Mostly this Telefunken S82:

Not my photo, but I also have the matching speakers. Picked mine up for cheap as a student a few years ago, been fixing it up bit by bit, but it got put into storage as I moved somewhere I didn't have space to tinker with my stuff. But now I have space again.

Holy poo poo, I am jealous. Godspeed.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

strangemusic posted:

Holy poo poo, I am jealous. Godspeed.

I'm definitely no audiphile jerk, but I find valve tech absolutely fascinating and the aesthetic of some of the stuff just rubs me the right way. Couple other things I have, not all recent but gently caress it:

Copper fronted Pye Mozart HFT108 tuner

Big Soviet industrial wall clock used in factories in the 80s. From what I know they didn't really have the capability of making big LED clocks that were all the rage in the West, or it was just uneconomical, but they could make a convincing imitation using these huge VFD tubes. Super bright too.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jeza posted:

Big Soviet industrial wall clock used in factories in the 80s. From what I know they didn't really have the capability of making big LED clocks that were all the rage in the West, or it was just uneconomical, but they could make a convincing imitation using these huge VFD tubes. Super bright too.

I would put that in my office for the countdown to quitting time.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

I would put that in my office for the countdown to quitting time.

same, except it hangs on my wall and counts down the minutes to my pointless death instead. stylishly.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I liked them

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's been six months, time to try a new smart watch. The *takes deep breath* LG Watch Urbane LTE Second Edition, as I prefer, the LG WULTESE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHeIwEnWk8Q

Best resolution, battery capacity, looks (IMO) and runs android wear. Could also be used as a standalone phone with LTE if the colluding big three Canadian mobile companies didn't make the big American carriers look lovable.

Also got a psvr but whatever.

UnfortunateSexFart has a new favorite as of 13:08 on Oct 16, 2016

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Jeza posted:

I'm definitely no audiphile jerk, but I find valve tech absolutely fascinating and the aesthetic of some of the stuff just rubs me the right way. Couple other things I have, not all recent but gently caress it:

Copper fronted Pye Mozart HFT108 tuner

I like the cut of your jib.

strangemusic has a new favorite as of 17:13 on Oct 16, 2016

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jeza posted:

same, except it hangs on my wall and counts down the minutes to my pointless death instead. stylishly.

For me these are virtually the same. :shepicide:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I am super excited. Our current fan a) exhausts into the attic b) is extremely loud c) very old. This fan is none of those things. Last week the fan even got its own dedicated switch separate from the lights!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Birthday is next week, decided to finally upgrade my computer monitor. Picked up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZNEVQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine still works fine, but it's really old, and is one of those 1680x1050 oddballs from way back when. This'll be a lot brighter and sharper from what I've seen. :toot:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I got a smart things hub to go perfectly with the zero smart devices I currently own

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

Aramek posted:

Birthday is next week, decided to finally upgrade my computer monitor. Picked up one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BZNEVQ/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine still works fine, but it's really old, and is one of those 1680x1050 oddballs from way back when. This'll be a lot brighter and sharper from what I've seen. :toot:

I think this is the monitor I currently have. it's pretty nice especially for the price. Way nicer than the ancient SGI 1600SW I was using.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

A bunch of new writing gear:

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Dogbrisket posted:

I think this is the monitor I currently have. it's pretty nice especially for the price. Way nicer than the ancient SGI 1600SW I was using.

God daaamn, that's a bigger upgrade over my HP w2207h. (Still works great, gonna put it on my work computer.)

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I got a smart things hub to go perfectly with the zero smart devices I currently own

Doesn't the Google Home thing do this?

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

They didn't really taste a whole lot like old bay

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Everyone knows you only buy David.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Yep. Only ever buy David's.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Josh Lyman posted:

Everyone knows you only buy David.

In the two gallon buckets.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dreesemonkey posted:

I think I see a flaw in your plan.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Tres Burritos posted:

Doesn't the Google Home thing do this?

Google Home is supposed to support this. That said, it doesn't have the zwave or zigbee radios (that I'm aware of) so it would still need one of these "hubs" to do the work, the google home could just trigger it via voice.

Thats my ultimate plan, at least.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

SEKCobra posted:

Way too much effort, I'm sure someone will produce this stuff cheap if they aren't doing it already.

Just buy circular magnets for $3 and you've got the same thing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

travisray2004 posted:

Just buy circular magnets for $3 and you've got the same thing.

Not sure how I can get circular magnets to spin like that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

An old Polaroid Spectra and some expired film.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

An old Polaroid Spectra and some expired film.

That's neat. I remember when the Spectra came out and it got a ton of pub as the pinnacle of instant camera tech.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

Nice! I've been running smart things home automation for about a year now, and it's been great. The app could use some ease of use streamlining, but it's getting better. I'm only now starting to switch out my batteries in the sensors and stuff, so I'm happy with the longevity there. I've got mine set up to automatically arm and switch to away/home based on whether our phones are present, plus multipurpose sensors on the windows and doors that notify us when it's set to away, a water sensor by the laundry in the basement, nest and nest protect to auto shutoff furnace and notify if CO is detected and control the thermostat anywhere, and one of my favorites is my front porch light. I wanted to keep the antique fixture already in there, so I picked up a couple cree smart bulbs and tied them in to the front porch motion sensor and set it to run 10% dim from dusk to dawn, and then brighten/notify on front porch motion. I haven't done much with the smart camera stuff though, I just have a DVR system I can remote in to with my phone via teamviewer. The Amazon echo is pretty great too, it's nice to have in the kitchen for timers or playing music/podcasts while cooking and doing the dishes and stuff, especially now that it natively works with spotify. Next thing I want to add are amazon echo dots to integrate echo voice control (and speakers) in other rooms. For me, the whole smart home ecosystem has been useful and worthwhile.

For content, just bought some Gearwrench 120xp ratchets

Can't wait to experience that sweet, sweet, 3º arch :dance:

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 17:36 on Oct 18, 2016

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

SEKCobra posted:

Not sure how I can get circular magnets to spin like that.

Hold one magnet in the center and another with opposing polarity in the rim. Flick it with your finger.
Not exactly the same but similar enough.

E: er...on. Not in.

travisray2004 has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Oct 18, 2016

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

loving magnets, how do they...

travisray2004 posted:

Hold one magnet in the center and another with opposing polarity in the rim. Flick it with your finger.

Oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
One of these for office water-drinking. 20 oz. not 30 because I'm not an animal.:

A few pairs of these, thanks to stumbling onto a Nike outlet while traveling this past weekend. For running, not for style.

And tickets to see this: