Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

While I absolutely hate the guy, I presume he meant that they were going out of business, which is a common claim by him against his opponents in the media. Ironic, when you consider how often his businesses went bankrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

That mustache screams legitness

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

See there's an extra joke here, kids at home, because: No it isn't

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Trump was right.

Chicago is a terrible hellscape.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fishmech posted:

Also, a lot of parents pay surprisingly little attention to their kids while out camping, and young kids especially will get up to some really dumb poo poo out there if you let them.

also pretty much everyone who winds up reported as missing and later dead are either lost hikers or drownings

there's been like two or three deaths at cape hatteras national seashore this year alone from rip currents. probably one from a shark eating a kid

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Covok posted:

While I absolutely hate the guy, I presume he meant that they were going out of business, which is a common claim by him against his opponents in the media. Ironic, when you consider how often his businesses went bankrupt.

imo we should be concerned when fascists talk about journalists not being a problem anymore in nebulous, conspiring tones.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Dirt posted:

https://twitter.com/KatyTurNBC/status/788461223327129600

Trump's big bold new plan. Meh. This will be popular with people who don't really follow politics closely.

The whole term limits thing has always seemed kind of pointless to me. If you really want to address the issue of perma-incumbents, redistricting reform would be a much better way to go.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DaveWoo posted:

The whole term limits thing has always seemed kind of pointless to me. If you really want to address the issue of perma-incumbents, redistricting reform would be a much better way to go.

It's an appealing talking point that sounds good to ignorant people and happens to be good for corporations. Of course it's never going away. :smith:

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

no not those ones, i guess it was from a series called "still with trump" i think. the woman in the video were definitely in there late 20's/early 30's. Honestly it seemed more like a fluff piece because it really didn't dig into her political beliefs.

I can understand an older black person buying into trump. A good chunk of them are basically republicans with the serial numbers filed off. racism and all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B18BmtGLO50

99% sure you're talking about the two women featured in this video.

bowser fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 18, 2016

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Aw Chicago's not so ba-

lol I was looking at ad agencies in Chicago, but not anymore.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

freckle posted:

Trump was right.

I just barely escaped getting shot when I was walking through Evanston and Hyde Park visiting friends my last time I made the trip up to Chiraq(no really they call it that all the time)

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I demand to know what Trump's stance on Bigfoot is (I will assume pro, given his stance on hands). Hillary already got asked about UFOs earlier this year.

Actually I would also like to know Trump's stance on UFOs. And abductions. Also, hubrids (human/alien hybrids).

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Oh and there's also this building:

Which is stunning and iirc the tallest building at the time to have ever been designed by a female architect. Sadly the iconic balconies are unusable, due to the thousands and thousands of spiders that nest there every year

Nah there's a type of spider common in the great lakes that's evolved to roost in high overhanging rocks, and it's also attracted to lights like what shine through the windows of human dwellings. That particular building is not far from the lake, so it gets a nice humid breeze just like the spiders like. The advice for skyscraper living in Chicago is literally "turn out all your lights and hide in the dark so the spiders can't find you"
One of the Hundred Chicagoan Hells

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Roosevelt is gorgeous, one of the best buildings in that part of town. 235 Van Buren wasn't built when I was there I think

It was built in 2009 IIRC.

You should look at it online. I loved the post modern design and the concrete everywhere.

And my view was THE poo poo.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Well, thanks to TB, I won't be able to sleep tonight.

I'm never moving to Chicago.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

freckle posted:

Trump was right.

Oh man, how could I forget to bring Trump Tower Chicago into this conversation? In addition to his usual contractor-screwing, skyline-ruining shenanigans, Trump got caught in a world-class case of fraud that's of course been completely forgotten by now because who can keep track.

See, Chicago has a rule that you can't build a curtain-walled penis extension unless you have a certain percentage of pre-sales. Most ultra-high skyscrapers sit largely vacant because of the spiders because they're expensive and shake a lot in the wind and generally suck for actually living in. So you can't break ground until you can prove you have a certain threshhold of residents, which is intended to avoid things like this happening

But following rules is for suckers! So Trump ginned up a bunch of fake buyers, who mysteriously "backed out" once the building was a go. I bet they were all named Miller.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

vseslav.botkin posted:

I demand to know what Trump's stance on Bigfoot is (I will assume pro, given his stance on hands). Hillary already got asked about UFOs earlier this year.

Actually I would also like to know Trump's stance on UFOs. And abductions. Also, hubrids (human/alien hybrids).

Let's be real here. If they made me president my first question would be about the aliens. :colbert:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

DaveWoo posted:

republicans tend to shift back and forth between business and public office moreso than democratics, who tend to see it more commonly as a calling and stay in office for long stretches

whenever someone brings up term limits you should ask them if they also support employment bans on people leaving public office for fields that they were responsible for regulating

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Oh man, how could I forget to bring Trump Tower Chicago into this conversation? In addition to his usual contractor-screwing, skyline-ruining shenanigans, Trump got caught in a world-class case of fraud that's of course been completely forgotten by now because who can keep track.

See, Chicago has a rule that you can't build a curtain-walled penis extension unless you have a certain percentage of pre-sales. Most ultra-high skyscrapers sit largely vacant because of the spiders because they're expensive and shake a lot in the wind and generally suck for actually living in. So you can't break ground until you can prove you have a certain threshhold of residents, which is intended to avoid things like this happening

But following rules is for suckers! So Trump ginned up a bunch of fake buyers, who mysteriously "backed out" once the building was a go. I bet they were all named Miller.

Oh they finally decided to turn that thing into a pool?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Aw Chicago's not so ba-

Thank you for ruining my plans to visit Chicago some day. Flying spiders might be the only thing more terrifying than President Trump. :cry:

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/788468827440807936

:3:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Let's be real here. If they made me president my first question would be about the aliens. :colbert:

Hillary's first question will probably be the same thing.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It was pretty progressive of them to hire a Klingon to design the city jail tho

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm actually pleasantly surprised to see O'Keefe's lastest "rigging the election" video basically getting no play at all. Has he finally cried wolf too many times for even the 24-hour news channels to treat him with any credibility?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/788469088645357569

:shobon:

i allllmost feel a little bad for the nevertrump people. almost.

e: U of Houston poll of Texas 10/7-10/15: Trump 41, Clinton 38

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

WampaLord posted:

Hillary's first question will probably be the same thing.

I mean come on. I don't really believe there's aliens. But if there's aliens, motherfucker I wanna know that poo poo.

Also TB you are simultaneously the best and worst USPOL poster. You are Schrodinger's Poster.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Furnaceface posted:

Thank you for ruining my plans to visit Chicago some day. Flying spiders might be the only thing more terrifying than President Trump. :cry:

You only have to worry about flying spiders from the months of May to October.

Basically all the warm months.

Now let me all regale you with the tale of how one flew into my mouth when I opened the window of my condo building.

A spider flew into my mouth when I opened the window of my condo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfsincere posted:

Now let me all regale you with the tale of how one flew into my mouth when I opened the window of my condo building.

Well, conveniently the window was right there so you could leap to your death without much effort.

At least that's what I would have done.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Lightning Knight posted:

Aliens are under a special access program that fails outside of traditional secrecy protocols, noob. Podesta tried to crack that nut for years without success, not even with the help of Blink 182.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gfsincere posted:

flyingparadeoffuckyous.gif

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Wonder how hard it would be to get close to there with a helicopter....

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Come to Baltimore, where we house inmates in a castle!

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I know Lessig gets a lot of poo poo on this forum, but this is just an incredibly classy response from him regarding some unflattering things that were said about him from a Clinton staffer.

http://lessig.tumblr.com/post/151983995587/on-the-wikileak-ed-emails-between-tanden-and

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Literally 2 blocks from my old condo. Also weird thinking they could possibly see me from their cells.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

Also TB you are simultaneously the best and worst USPOL poster. You are Schrodinger's Poster.

I just regret all that time I wasted talking about racism when it's really America's flying spider problem we need to join forces to combat

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Aziz Ansari agrees - undecided voters are scum

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/aziz-ansari-vote-donald-trump_us_58067162e4b0180a36e6e319?section=&

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Quorum posted:

Yeah, C is the answer here; while it's not complete and elides the choices that were made to take the budding colonies down the road of chattel slavery, it's also the most correct option, as labor shortages were a major factor contributing to those choices. Slavery as the defining institution of the southern and Caribbean colonies wasn't exactly inevitable, though the colonial societies had few viable alternatives if they sought to extract the maximum wealth possible from the territory (they did) and were unwilling to support a large working class (they were).

Interestingly, you can watch as the pyramidal social hierarchy of the English in particular gets transplanted wholesale to the colonies and then collapses immediately, because no poo poo you can't support a huge top heavy hierarchy descended from feudalism when you're subsisting on wild boar and corn the locals are selling you while shooting you worried looks. Then, over the course of about fifty to a hundred years, they build it back up, and when their reconstructed social pyramid, now with the planter gentry on top instead of the landed nobility, requires a huge impoverished base of workers tied to the land? Well lookie here, a Portuguese ship full of these handy dark-skinned folks...

If you're interested to read more about this, I'd recommend Foul Means: The Formation of a Slave Society in Virginia, 1660-1740 by Anthony Parent. It's an argument against the previously accepted view embodied by that dumb test question, which asserts that nobody deliberately set up slavery, it was a response to labor conditions! While Parent acknowledges that as a factor, he argues that the codification of racial chattel slavery in Virginia was in fact a deliberate series of choices made over the course of about fifty years by the planter class as a means of solidifying their power. It's a good, if very depressing, read.

I am just here to say the superior work on this is American Slavery, American Freedom by Edmund Morgan and Parent just ripped Morgan off. Also it was a Dutch Man of War that brought the first slaves to Virginia -- who had been captured by the Dutch (who were pirates, working in conjunction with an English pirate ship) off of a Portuguese ship the San Juan Bautista -- in 1619.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Why is Trump going back-up in 538? R-leaning polls come out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Dexo posted:

Wonder how hard it would be to get close to there with a helicopter....

Please don't doxx my Fast & Furious fanfiction tia

• Locked thread