Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Wow, gently caress the Oatmeal.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kaza42 posted:

Scion 2e kickstarter is already looking loads better than the Ex3 one. They've had development diaries and publicly available playtest information for a while now (although not the full rules, enough to get a good sense of where things are going). They are also deliberately trying to be aware and sensitive of cultural issues, and are unlikely to have a Rape Ghosts 2: Loa Love controversy

This is good news, then. Especially the cultural sensitivity. Hopefully, the Japanese gods won't all be obsessed with anime like they were in 1e.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

Oh, I have no doubts about that, because they have a loyal, if misguided, fanbase who will readily shell out for that crap; The art style is lazy, the premise is insulting and distasteful, and the mechanics are so simple a three year old could play (and would probably be the only one to actually have fun with it, more than once).

400k and climbing - gently caress

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kwyndig posted:

Oh, I have no doubts about that, because they have a loyal, if misguided, fanbase who will readily shell out for that crap; The art style is lazy, the premise is insulting and distasteful, and the mechanics are so simple a three year old could play (and would probably be the only one to actually have fun with it, more than once).

Welcome to fandoms. Where quality doesn't matter as long as it appeals to the lowest common denominator and has the proper brand name on it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Ropes4u posted:

400k and climbing - gently caress

If it makes you feel any better, a large portion of these backers will never, ever, ever back another non-Oatmeal board game so none of this is being stole from a more "worthy" products. Small consolation, I know.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

If it makes you feel any better, a large portion of these backers will never, ever, ever back another non-Oatmeal board game so none of this is being stole from a more "worthy" products. Small consolation, I know.

It's like the Dark Souls board game. At least 50-60% of its backer would probably never back a board game if it didn't have "Dark Souls" in its title so it isn't taking away from other projects.

How did that KS go, after it funded?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Covok posted:

It's like the Dark Souls board game. At least 50-60% of its backer would probably never back a board game if it didn't have "Dark Souls" in its title so it isn't taking away from other projects.

How did that KS go, after it funded?

They're being pretty frequent with updates as soon as they have new info it appears. I demoed one of the boss fights at Origins and it was pretty okay mechanically. It sounds like since the campaign the designers have continued to adjust and add to the game for thematic reasons. We'll see if that's a good thing or not. They're still standing by their April fulfillment claims from the original campaign.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

In better news, Ben Robbins, creator of Kingdom and microscope, is making a new game.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Damnit, I wasn't going to back anymore games for awhile.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Magpie Games are finally Kickstarting Bluebeard's Bride, a horror roleplaying game based on the classic fairy tale and Powered By The Apocalypse, designed for very unsettling one-shots. One of the designers ran games for the One Shot podcast and the Jank Cast podcast (links are on the KS page) some months back, and those more than convinced me I needed this game. It's real dark and since the core of the horror is to do with violence of all kinds towards women (and definitely not in an exploitative way), it's probably not going to be something everyone is going to be willing to play, much less enjoy. But I would really recommend listening to those APs and seeing what you think.

Mind you, I would also like to hear an AP or two run by someone else. It's easy to make a game seem brilliant when it's being run by the person who created it (at least assuming they're a talented GM), but it's important that the game provide the tools to work when random GM #23 takes it on, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

On the subject of worthy products, LudiCreations had their cashbox stolen at Spiel. Their response: to immediately create a microgame based on the event and put it on Kickstarter. Cost is $5, or effectively free if you pledge to buy one of their other micro/minigames.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

malkav11 posted:

Magpie Games are finally Kickstarting Bluebeard's Bride, a horror roleplaying game based on the classic fairy tale and Powered By The Apocalypse, designed for very unsettling one-shots. One of the designers ran games for the One Shot podcast and the Jank Cast podcast (links are on the KS page) some months back, and those more than convinced me I needed this game. It's real dark and since the core of the horror is to do with violence of all kinds towards women (and definitely not in an exploitative way), it's probably not going to be something everyone is going to be willing to play, much less enjoy. But I would really recommend listening to those APs and seeing what you think.

Mind you, I would also like to hear an AP or two run by someone else. It's easy to make a game seem brilliant when it's being run by the person who created it (at least assuming they're a talented GM), but it's important that the game provide the tools to work when random GM #23 takes it on, too.

Considering the subject matter and Magpie Games recent reputation, yeah going to pass on this one, this isn't doing anything to change my mind.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Kwyndig posted:

The worst part is that there's a better looking version of a monster building game idea that went up last week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/norwestergames/stitches/description

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

The_Doctor posted:

Jesus christ, that's some thin game play.

"What if we played poker, but everybody's hands were on the table? And there was only one kind of hand to build? Wouldn't that be great?"

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

But how does it actually work? I don't see how on the KS page.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Baron Snow posted:

The worst part is that there's a better looking version of a monster building game idea that went up last week.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/norwestergames/stitches/description

That looks a lot more fun than those crappy baby drawings.

EDIT: Why the hell are people so obsessed with making miniatures of monster that shoot cannonballs out it's rear end? :psyduck:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/882426675/old-school-miniatures-presents-the-daemon-cannon

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 19, 2016

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Hey KS thread.

A friend of mine just launched a kickstarter for his storygame Home by Dark. It's a simple game that's inspired by things like The Goonies, E.T. and Stranger Things.

I played it and it's got a fun dice mechanic for creating these types of stories.

https://goo.gl/M9QvT3

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

EDIT: Why the hell are people so obsessed with making miniatures of monster that shoot cannonballs out it's rear end? :psyduck:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/882426675/old-school-miniatures-presents-the-daemon-cannon

He's asking for $700 and that thing is hilarious.

If it was a big tittied monster that shot cannonballs out of his rear end he'd make a million dollars, but he's gonna make $700 for probably the most adorable rectal cannon miniature available.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Isn't this like the 3rd kickstarter for a buttcannon monster within a year?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
I'ma plug another RPG I'm editing. Ben Dutter, who made Vow of Honor, Hunt the Wicked, and Belly of the Beast, just put this up on Kickstarter: Perseverant. It's a GM-less, fairly rules-light, setting-agnostic system for survival stories.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

malkav11 posted:

Magpie Games

Until they walk back and apologize for their support for Zak, they don't get a single dollar from me.

Serf
May 5, 2011

inklesspen posted:

Until they walk back and apologize for their support for Zak, they don't get a single dollar from me.

Same.

For what it's worth, the person who handled my Masks refund was very polite and professional about the whole thing.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

What did Magpie Games do? I'm out of the loop.

Covok
May 27, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

What did Magpie Games do? I'm out of the loop.

Told people to stop complaining/reporting Zak S' bad behavior, serial harrasher and general jerk. Guy who outed Mikan and harrashed her till she shut down her business. Not well liked around here because of that.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

cptn_dr posted:

Wow, gently caress the Oatmeal.

Yeah! gently caress that guy for wanting to make money and doing something he likes! What a dick.

I don't get these complaints - if you don't like it, don't back it. It's as simple as that.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well, I read that as "gently caress the Oatmeal for using their powerful brand to peddle mechanically garbage shitball games" but y'know, maybe he just hates their very existence.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Well, I read that as "gently caress the Oatmeal for using their powerful brand to peddle mechanically garbage shitball games" but y'know, maybe he just hates their very existence.

Neither of those options is less petty and stupid than the other.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Wurm's core rulebook PDF just got released to backers.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

berzerkmonkey posted:

Yeah! gently caress that guy for wanting to make money and doing something he likes! What a dick.

I don't get these complaints - if you don't like it, don't back it. It's as simple as that.

Did you use to have a Duke's Bros gangtag or something?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I don't know if this one has been mentioned yet, this is a KS for a skirmish game that might appeal to fans of Labyrinth and/or Tony Diterlizzi;

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1138228733/moonstone-fantasy-skirmish-game

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
There's an Kickstarter up for a Powder Mage Roleplaying Game, based on a popular fantasy book series that takes more from Colonial America than medieval Europe. It uses Savage Worlds.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Hello. Would you like some Cthulhu in your Xenomorphs? Some Necromorphs in your DOOM?

Kickstarter for Deep Madness

Miniatures look awesome. Which is all I know.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Merauder posted:

Neither of those options is less petty and stupid than the other.

I'm glad you're here to police people's reactions for us all. Thank you, Merauder.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Hello. Would you like some Cthulhu in your Xenomorphs? Some Necromorphs in your DOOM?

Be warned: English is not this Kickstarter creator's first language, so it's very hard to get a handle on this game outside of the mini aesthetic.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 19, 2016

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok reading Deep Madness a bit more, here's my concern:

you set up a scenario
rooms get corrupted at random
corrupted rooms spawn monsters
monsters are more powerful in corrupted rooms

My fear is that the interaction of the random room mechanic with the scenario mechanic will result in a Betrayal at House on the Hill scenario where it's just complete luck as to whether or not you can make it through the scenario. In some cases, you could draw badly and all of your scenario objectives are lurking in corrupted rooms with powerful monsters in them.

There's also a race mechanic in the game - your guys start out in peak condition but a casual read of the mechanics shows that they get nasty conditions piled on them and also need to search for equipment to deal with certain environmental obstacles. The equipment search is random. Coupled with the fact that they have "irreplaceable skills" that most likely interact with the scenario somehow...hmm. Again this is not a death sentence but it does make me nervous...if a couple of bad draws tank your Scientist and thus your hope for beating the scenario, that would suck.

Coupled with the horrific amateurishness of the text I am not getting a good vibe about the game part of the KS. If you like the minis though who cares?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Well, either way, it's a paying job. You can't hate the guy for doing a job, especially if it pays well. And for everyone out there who likes an in-depth, strategic game, there's also someone who likes Uno or the Game of Life.

Scyther posted:

Did you use to have a Duke's Bros gangtag or something?

No clue as to what that is.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 19, 2016

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ok reading Deep Madness a bit more, here's my concern:

you set up a scenario
rooms get corrupted at random
corrupted rooms spawn monsters
monsters are more powerful in corrupted rooms

My fear is that the interaction of the random room mechanic with the scenario mechanic will result in a Betrayal at House on the Hill scenario where it's just complete luck as to whether or not you can make it through the scenario. In some cases, you could draw badly and all of your scenario objectives are lurking in corrupted rooms with powerful monsters in them.

There's also a race mechanic in the game - your guys start out in peak condition but a casual read of the mechanics shows that they get nasty conditions piled on them and also need to search for equipment to deal with certain environmental obstacles. The equipment search is random. Coupled with the fact that they have "irreplaceable skills" that most likely interact with the scenario somehow...hmm. Again this is not a death sentence but it does make me nervous...if a couple of bad draws tank your Scientist and thus your hope for beating the scenario, that would suck.

Coupled with the horrific amateurishness of the text I am not getting a good vibe about the game part of the KS. If you like the minis though who cares?

Thanks for this analysis Mega Jockstrap. I just saw the minis and I'm still drooling.

Interesting that the game has both a race against time and a race against propagation mechanic. I think (unsure) that can be difficult to balance even in a video game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Ok, so that Deep Madness game is just a pile of poo poo, mechanically. I've been reading the rules and if you expect a good game out of this you're going to be disappointed.

Thoughts:

There's a doom track. More on this in a second, but keep in mind: there's a doom track, and rooms get corrupted and monsters get spawned whenever you move up the doom track. One kinda-cool thing is that the doom track is scenario specific.

The way the turns work is that an investigator goes, then ALL of one type of monster goes, then another investigator, etc. You determine the order of activation of the monster type and the investigators randomly.

Monsters appear at random spots in the newly-corrupted rooms and, here's the kicker, activate normally on the turn they appear. They are pulled from a random, pre-built, scenario specific deck. Oof this is so bad. No planning, no reaction, nothing. Just draw a card, place the monsters, an investigator (not chosen by the players, but determined by the game) goes, and then you could potentially activate the new monsters, and take your licks (the monsters do activate in sequence with the investigators so you're not gonna get completely mobbed by everything on the board - but still! potentially only a chance for one random guy to react before those new critters can potentially retaliate). There's this real cop-out mechanic bolted on, though: the players can prevent the newly spawned monsters from activating by moving the doom track up another tick. This means that more monsters spawn and another room gets corrupted. It doesn't say if you're supposed to move those new monsters too but I imagine you aren't because otherwise we've got infinite recursion. Anyway that's a pretty bad trade, particularly because we're not talking about one monster. These are spawn cards that can bring multiple opponents in. Two turns worth of multiple opponents at later stages in the game (where you might be spawning 4 monsters per turn, so dumping 8 minis on the board) would be bad.

If you are in a submerged room and you don't have oxygen you roll a die. You can either be completely unscathed, take wounds, or die instantly. LOL good game design right there. Basically: stay the hell out of submerged rooms.

There's a fatigue mechanic. It's called Sanity. You use it to reroll dice, move extra spaces, etc. Nothing new here. You have a Sanity stat and you put brain tokens on your sheet as you spend it. Well except if you kill monsters, then you flip some of the brain tokens over to "madness". If you get 3 madness tokens you clear 3 and take a madness card. The madness card is pokey poo poo like "take a wound". (in fact there's a ton of these little "pokes" all around the rules, stacking +1/-1 stuff, huge red light there).

So if you think about this, fighting monsters with no Sanity expended (no little brain markers on your character sheet) is extremely good because you don't get madness. BUT it's even better because if you kill a monster and don't flip any tokens to madness you get a a Consciousness card, which is a nice little buff. And there's no limit on the amount of these you can get. AND you can trade 10 of them to prevent the doom track from advancing. So, this just encourages players to load a guy up with the best weapon and equipment and absolutely go to town on the critters, which will make him even better at going to town on them, rinse and repeat.

If an investigator dies, every time their turn WOULD have come up, you roll a die and add a madness token to somebody. Little bit of a death spiral mechanic there. Good news: the type of monster that would have activated after the dead investigator's turn doesn't, so that's good.

The biggest thing I'm seeing is that the game doesn't take the "kill a monster with no sanity expended and get a buff" mechanic seriously, and how powerful it is. So you get corrupted room effects like "spend a sanity to enter this room" and it's like, holy poo poo, that basically keeps people from getting in combat in that room if at all possible. Since this is a game of resource conservation and randomness you want to stay the hell out of those kinds of situations.

In other words, only back this game if you want the minis. The rules feel very amateurish and random. It feels like a very Arkham Horror design where you can have a perfectly good strategy but the dice and cards don't agree and you get hosed over. Yuck.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 20, 2016

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Ok, so that Deep Madness game is just a pile of poo poo, mechanically. I've been reading the rules and if you expect a good game out of this you're going to be disappointed.

Thoughts:

There's a doom track. More on this in a second, but keep in mind: there's a doom track, and rooms get corrupted and monsters get spawned whenever you move up the doom track. One kinda-cool thing is that the doom track is scenario specific.

The way the turns work is that an investigator goes, then ALL of one type of monster goes, then another investigator, etc.

Monsters appear at random spots in the newly-corrupted rooms and, here's the kicker, activate normally on the turn they appear. They are pulled from a random, pre-built, scenario specific deck. Oof this is so bad. No planning, no reaction, nothing. Just draw a card, place the monsters, an investigator (not chosen by the players, but determined by the game) goes, then activate them, and take your licks (the monsters do activate in sequence with the investigators so you're not gonna get completely mobbed - but still! only a chance for one random guy to react before those new critters can potentially retaliate). There's this real cop-out mechanic bolted on, though: the players can prevent the newly spawned monsters from activating by moving the doom track up another tick. This means that more monsters spawn and another room gets corrupted. It doesn't say if you're supposed to move those new monsters too but I imagine you aren't because otherwise we've got infinite recursion. Anyway that's a pretty bad trade, particularly because we're not talking about one monster. These are spawn cards that can bring multiple opponents in. Two turns worth of multiple opponents at later stages in the game (where you might be spawning 4 monsters per turn, so dumping 8 minis on the board) would be bad.

If you are in a submerged room and you don't have oxygen you roll a die. You can either be completely unscathed, take wounds, or die instantly. LOL good game design right there. Basically: stay the hell out of submerged rooms.

There's a fatigue mechanic. It's called Sanity. You use it to reroll dice, move extra spaces, etc. Nothing new here. You have a Sanity stat and you put brain tokens on your sheet as you spend it. Well except if you kill monsters, then you flip some of the brain tokens over to "madness". If you get 3 madness tokens you clear 3 and take a madness card. The madness card is pokey poo poo like "take a wound". (in fact there's a ton of these little "pokes" all around the rules, stacking +1/-1 stuff, huge red light there).

So if you think about this, fighting monsters with no Sanity expended (no little brain markers on your character sheet) is extremely good because you don't get madness. BUT it's even better because if you kill a monster and don't flip any tokens to madness you get a a Consciousness card, which is a nice little buff. And there's no limit on the amount of these you can get. AND you can trade 10 of them to prevent the doom track from advancing. So, this just encourages players to load a guy up with the best weapon and equipment and absolutely go to town on the critters, which will make him even better at going to town on them, rinse and repeat.

If an investigator dies, every time their turn WOULD have come up, you roll a die and add a madness token to somebody. Little bit of a death spiral mechanic there. Good news: the type of monster that would have activated after the dead investigator's turn doesn't, so that's good.

The biggest thing I'm seeing is that the game doesn't take the "kill a monster with no sanity expended and get a buff" mechanic seriously, and how powerful it is. So you get corrupted room effects like "spend a sanity to enter this room" and it's like, holy poo poo, that basically keeps people from getting in combat in that room if at all possible. Since this is a game of resource conservation and randomness you want to stay the hell out of those kinds of situations.

In other words, only back this game if you want the minis. The rules feel very amateurish.
Thanks for the analysis. I had grabbed an early bird just for the better pricing, but I had a feeling I would drop it by project's end.
I hate when the only video previews are by UndeadViking (or BoardGameBrawl) because that gives off "bad game / paid preview" vibes. I need the Rahdo stamp of approval most times.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
That's a shame, the mini's are tempting but I have no idea what I would do with them besides play this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So my at-cost hardcover of Nocturne (née Nightfall) and its of excellent quality for a print on demand book. The art and setting maps are great and the rules look tight so far. I'd say it's definitely worth a purchase if you want to add some more 13th age books to your library