Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

henne posted:

Yeah whoever is farther from the corner sees the other person first right? Like right eye camera matters but if there is a big difference in distance that plays a bigger role?

Yeah. Distance is more relevant. The camera is fairly central, it's a pretty minor thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Bohemian Nights posted:

Really helpful stuff

Thank you for this, really helpful!

Are there any good resources for getting better at counterstrafing, or explanations of it? Is the idea that you never stop strafing, but just fire at a point shortly after you've started strafing in the other direction where your movement has 0'd out? I'm having trouble getting a good feel for this from just playing -- sometimes it feels very effective, sometimes much less so. I guess hypothetically I shouldn't be finding myself in situations where I'm out in the open fighting someone instead of peeking/behind cover, but would still be useful to know for peeking.

Also, I'm thinking right now that I should maybe just learn routes for dust so I can get that down and not have to worry about learning a million maps while getting the movement/aim basics down -- planning on learning ~4 routes, one for each spawn position (left/right) for CT/Ts. Right now I'm using this video guide from Anderz to give routes for me to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU26B1oDyd8.

This is great for the start of the match, but I often feel at a loss once the first fights have happened -- e.g. when I've made it to a bomb site as T's or repelled some T's as CT. Should I just be going between bomb sites? Is there a good guide for this? I usually just wander around where I think enemies might be, trying to check corners.

edit: This guy seems to have a lot of videos on the above, war owl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCtal_f8nJI

Is he giving reasonably good advice?

Fusion Restaurant fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 18, 2016

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

war owl does decent videos for beginners but on more adavnced stuff hes a clueless retard

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Jeza posted:

But if the scenario was mirror flipped, he would probably have seen the guy, and the guy shooting him would have seen less of his body. Both concepts apply here. Just imagine if the camera was centred towards the left side rather than the right and it's extremely obvious how it's relevant here.

download the flipped mirage map and set up the exact same angles if you think it would maoe a difference

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

trying to jack off posted:

download the flipped mirage map and set up the exact same angles if you think it would maoe a difference

I will once I stop vomiting and my equilibrium goes back to normal

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

war owl does decent videos for beginners but on more adavnced stuff hes a clueless retard

Is there anyone you'd recommend for someone in the MG-2/DMG range? Looking to get better, but I don't know who to watch.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Fusion Restaurant posted:

Thank you for this, really helpful!

Are there any good resources for getting better at counterstrafing, or explanations of it?

Go into some practice map. Strafe in one direction then let go of the button. You will see see with your eyes that you don't immediately stop moving. You have momentum in the direction you were going. What you want is to have zero movement instantly.

So press strafe again and when you want to fire as you let of the the direction you were going in you briefly jab the opposite direction button and it brings you to a dead stop. No momentum just plonk you're standing there. Your bullets should then be as accurate as thy're going to be. You should be able to see with your eyes the difference between counterstrafing and just letting yourself roll to a stop.

The only way this is complicated is when you are pressing two directional keys at once to move diagonally which means you have to press the other two keys to come to a stop. Or you can commit and crouch.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Is there anyone you'd recommend for someone in the MG-2/DMG range? Looking to get better, but I don't know who to watch.

There's no real guide just time spent playing but as a few rules of thumb.

1. Learn the grenades for the maps you want to play. There are at least 3 for each side that will make life a million times easier. A lot of people who play the game for hundreds of hours don't and its loving mysterious to me why they don't.

2. Communicate essential information succinctly and then shut up. There is no point to complaining.

3. Trade kill. If the guy in front of you gets pasted the guy who pasted him is unlikely to be able to transfer his spray to the next guy cause that's hard so you jump out and kill him when he's low on bullets and accuracy. If you stop and refuse to challenge you're just giving away a massive advantage unless you know for a fact which is unlikely that there are more people coming behind him. On the other hand recognize when the opportunity for trading has closed. There's no point feeding kills.

4. Recognize early what the misfits you play with get up to. If they're all walking around the map you're going to have to be the entry guy. If they're all gung ho they will inevitably get slowed down and you have to be the guy who holds some map control so they can back out of it. There's nothing tragic like guys all holding angles in spawn or trapped in upper tunnels

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 18, 2016

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Goofballs posted:

Go into some practice map. Strafe in one direction then let go of the button. You will see see with your eyes that you don't immediately stop moving. You have momentum in the direction you were going. What you want is to have zero movement instantly.

So press strafe again and when you want to fire as you let of the the direction you were going in you briefly jab the opposite direction button and it brings you to a dead stop. No momentum just plonk you're standing there. Your bullets should then be as accurate as thy're going to be. You should be able to see with your eyes the difference between counterstrafing and just letting yourself roll to a stop.

The only way this is complicated is when you are pressing two directional keys at once to move diagonally which means you have to press the other two keys to come to a stop. Or you can commit and crouch

Oh, I see -- basically I can just tap the opposite direction, shoot, and then go wherever I want. I think my difficulty was that I was just pressing the opposite direction and trying to get the exact instant the crosshair lost its bloom -- which might be what good players do, but I'm not that.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

adreN. He's got everything from crosshair placement through rifle usage, awp positioning, nade guides, trade fragging, positioning for winning rounds, up to detailed info on retakes https://www.youtube.com/user/CurseCS/videos?flow=grid&sort=p&view=0 search for 'pro tips' or whatever you want info about on the channel

also spunj made a detailed dust2 vid with all dem strats and it talks about basics very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k_sNAukK5g

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 18, 2016

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I think my difficulty was that I was just pressing the opposite direction and trying to get the exact instant the crosshair lost its bloom -- which might be what good players do, but I'm not that.

Are you using the default crosshair? It can help you learn counterstrafing, but otherwise it's really bad.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Since we're asking, any good guides for lurking? I get the basics of just covering a rotate but anything else I should know?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Agoat posted:

Since we're asking, any good guides for lurking? I get the basics of just covering a rotate but anything else I should know?

Don't be a dedicated lurker. Anyone can score frags when people are turned away but if you just go "oh I'm gonna lurk every round" you'll be useless 80% of the time. Keep map control, keep enemies on their toes, be aggressive instead of just sitting around, and surprise enemies with the coverage of the rotates. Steel had a decent guide on lurking on youtube somewhere e; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxGv0EJG4-Q

What I've found works better (esp in pugs and MM) than dedicated lurking is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L95d8oNgqmg

Work one spot. Doesn't matter which one, just work one spot. You'll naturally be with the team some rounds, and then naturally be the lurker other rounds. And you'll always be doing something, getting map control, getting picks off people who you realise play a certain way, or at least reading them. Remember, there's 15 rounds to a side. Caveat: don't be the dick that goes the other way when a straight B rush is called.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Oct 19, 2016

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

dex_sda posted:

Don't be a dedicated lurker. Anyone can score frags when people are turned away but if you just go "oh I'm gonna lurk every round" you'll be useless 80% of the time. Keep map control, keep enemies on their toes and surprise them with the coverage of the rotates. Steel had a decent guide on lurking on youtube somewhere

What I've found works better (esp in pugs and MM) than dedicated lurking is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L95d8oNgqmg

Work one spot. Doesn't matter which one, just work one spot. You'll naturally be with the team some rounds, and then naturally be the lurker other rounds. And you'll always be doing something, getting map control, getting picks off people who you realise play a certain way, or at least reading them. Remember, there's 15 rounds to a side. Caveat: don't be the dick that goes the other way when a straight B rush is called.

I do some of this but reading it like this is going to help a lot. It's funny you post a video on Inferno, I LOVE playing the apartments/boiler. I always find a way in there unless the strat calls for something else.

On B takes for Inferno I try to go mid to B if the team takes banana to help with the people in odd spots on site. So many people get caught off guard, and most CT's I don't think are very aggressive on rotates until they see bomb. This will likely change once I go above GNM but for right now it works great. I'll try to find that Steel guide.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Agoat posted:

I do some of this but reading it like this is going to help a lot. It's funny you post a video on Inferno, I LOVE playing the apartments/boiler. I always find a way in there unless the strat calls for something else.

On B takes for Inferno I try to go mid to B if the team takes banana to help with the people in odd spots on site. So many people get caught off guard, and most CT's I don't think are very aggressive on rotates until they see bomb. This will likely change once I go above GNM but for right now it works great. I'll try to find that Steel guide.

Here's the guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxGv0EJG4-Q

The key is to switch it up. Lurker is a difficult role, as you aren't going to be tradefragged, so if you gently caress up you probably threw the round away; you have to be unpredictable. Aggressive, sneaky, calm, insane... you gotta master it all.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

dex_sda posted:

Here's the guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxGv0EJG4-Q

The key is to switch it up. Lurker is a difficult role, as you aren't going to be tradefragged, so if you gently caress up you probably threw the round away; you have to be unpredictable. Aggressive, sneaky, calm, insane... you gotta master it all.

Thank you for this. I play fairly aggressive according to this. It's really fun being able to apply some things I learned playing fighting games to this game.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Np. Ultimately the best lurker is the guy that doesn't die until the execute happens, and makes it so that nobody rotates to the execute in time because they're antsy of every single place on the map.

e; also learn cheeky smokes and use them often. Basically smokes that cover a large amount of angles that you can pop around or flash through. Or just leave them laying around, making the CTs paranoid. Example on mirage: https://youtu.be/FuejXtnbaxM

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 19, 2016

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

dex_sda posted:

adreN. He's got everything from crosshair placement through rifle usage, awp positioning, nade guides, trade fragging, positioning for winning rounds, up to detailed info on retakes https://www.youtube.com/user/CurseCS/videos?flow=grid&sort=p&view=0 search for 'pro tips' or whatever you want info about on the channel

also spunj made a detailed dust2 vid with all dem strats and it talks about basics very well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k_sNAukK5g

Thanks for that. Grenade and AWPs are probably the weakest part of my game right now.

Goofballs posted:

There's no real guide just time spent playing but as a few rules of thumb.

Thanks. I do most of those, but I lack map knowledge and strategies for many maps.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

try closing one eye at a time in real life and be astounded at how things appear slightly moved...even if you didnt move at all!!??

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Elman posted:

Are you using the default crosshair? It can help you learn counterstrafing, but otherwise it's really bad.
Yeah, I've left it on that for now to get a better idea of how the spread works, but it is slowly killing me.

dex_sda posted:

Thanks, this is great!

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Jeza posted:

try closing one eye at a time in real life and be astounded at how things appear slightly moved...even if you didnt move at all!!??

i dont get what youre trying to say. the game only has one camera whilke your head has 2

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i also just noticed i said mirage in that post instead of inferno. oh well

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
iirc the camera is not exactly centered on the head but its such a small deviation and at that point you'd already be visible because of your legs or arms. the only real issue is how bullets come out from your camera and that could potentially gently caress stuff up, but again, super small deviation

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

First and foremost: DONT GET loving SALTY.

I just played in a game with a guy who threw 2 rounds because he was peeking against the last T alive with 5 seconds remaining and no bomb planted. I told him as such and he got pissy. Could I have found a better way to tell him as such? Probably. But if someone explains something to you, even if they sound like a dick, reacting negatively isn't going to help you learn or the team win. Just chill out, have fun and you'll learn a lot more than you otherwise would.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

fennesz posted:

I just played in a game with a guy who threw 2 rounds because he was peeking against the last T alive with 5 seconds remaining and no bomb planted. I told him as such and he got pissy. Could I have found a better way to tell him as such? Probably. But if someone explains something to you, even if they sound like a dick, reacting negatively isn't going to help you learn or the team win. Just chill out, have fun and you'll learn a lot more than you otherwise would.

this is extremely extreeeemely solid advice not only in helping you at the game, but also for your overall enjoyment of it. I really don't understand how people can enjoy a game as tough as csgo where losing streaks are common if they foam at every loss. Just, play videogame, and be proud of your sick shots.

also i guess at dmg you already know about crosshair placement and positioning, maybe some smokes, so i guess, learn more esoteric nades.
old out of date example but i feel illustrates the point well: most people know how to smoke old inferno's b ct, maybe construction/spools, so you should know how to maybe smoke dark, or molly quad. you have no idea how many people at LEM dont know how to smoke construcion or molly quad (both of which i was guilty of even when i was supreme). After I learned how to do it proper, taking b became a lot less stressful! So train on those grenade maps, cause if your team know just the basics, you can push the mundane take into a surprisingly good one with just one extra nade.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
oh and btw, you're at dmg, so you're likely to get to that threshold of lots of cheaters and smurfs. there's two possible ways to deal with cheaters:

1: you freak the gently caress out calling him a bitch fag, he gets his jollies, you report him, and the game ends. He will possibly get banned or not, you can't know.
2: you don't get pissed, report him, and the game ends. He will possibly get banned or not, you can't know.

one of those will result with you feeling less miserable for 30-40 mins.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I'm competing in a local event on Saturday.

Three of us practice. I've only met the two I've gotten to practice with. One is silver. One is LEM but I won't get to practice with him. Last guy is a mystery to me.

I'm so stupid excited. We're gonna get blown up but I'm gonna meet so many local players.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

fennesz posted:

Agree with that. Playing with people who just rage constantly is demotivating and unfun, unless they're so incredibly toxic that it comes full circle and gets funny again. I generally do so much better when I'm relaxed and don't have to think about all the things I know I should be doing.

I have lost a lot of games by one or two rounds because one guy got pissed in the first five rounds and went home. :sigh:

ArfJason posted:

oh and btw, you're at dmg, so you're likely to get to that threshold of lots of cheaters and smurfs.

And that's the fun part of playing MG2/DMG. I get mad about it once in a while, but there isn't really much I can do about either. At least I can beat a smurf by getting better, or getting lucky.

I would probably jump straight up to consistent DMG range if I just worked on the timing of my movement and shooting. Sometimes I'm on point, sometimes I just whiff the easiest deag/AK shots. I've stopped being a superstitious guy that tweaks his settings every time he hits a cold streak, so I know its me.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I hadn't seen these smokes recreated the way I really wanted them on new inferno so I hosed around and here is a smoke for ct at the b site. The ones I had seen went too far into ct to stop a guy from playing the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lLrd7V73_g

And this is one for spools or i guess coffins now. I guess you can see around the back of it a bit if you go towards garden but my main concern is not being invisible to garden, just not letting a guy with good cover have a good crossfire from that spot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cUlOCLrJhA

And this is a pit one. I saw it somewhere while looking for the b smokes but instead of looking for it again I decided to make it from memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07VHH7EbF-A

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Oct 19, 2016

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=330128769

Aim Botz and Recoil Master are both incredibly useful. If you can tolerate 45 minutes of this twice a week (pretend its 30 rounds of MM), it will help a ton. A good place to be mad™

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/ATNattax/status/788626297874477056

germany...germany never changes

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

^ what happened?

:allears: Hellraisers losing 14-1 right now https://www.twitch.tv/epicenter_en1

E: how is this 6-15 right now

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 19, 2016

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Alternate Attax requesting demos after the game, one demo was 25 seconds short so they got their opponents disqualified. Guy says it's bullshit, hooch chimes in to say they also got disqualified in ESL by Attax because one of their players had too many config files.

I dunno, it's just a German thing. It brings back memories that it was completely impossible to beat a German team in ESL if you didn't fulfill every rule to perfection. Lots of teams pretty much subsisted on default wins and disqualifications because they were expert video game lawyers who were friends with all the German admins. Needless to say it was a one way street, and protests against their teams tended to get ignored.

I remember one time in particular in a fairly serious online tournament, we were playing a German team on their server. We joined up, waited 15 minutes, they didn't show. We went to file a no show, found that they had already done it to us with timestamped screenshots from another server claiming we never joined. We tried to protest because the ESL Wire logs showed only 3 of them had even come online and all 5 of us joined up on time, but the admin cancelled the protest and let them go through.

'course back in those days you couldn't cry on reddit about it, and instead you just cultivated a healthy hatred for Germans :britain:

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

New Zealand can eat me posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=330128769

Aim Botz and Recoil Master are both incredibly useful. If you can tolerate 45 minutes of this twice a week (pretend its 30 rounds of MM), it will help a ton. A good place to be mad™

This looks great, thank you!

Elman posted:

Yeah using it for now to learn how spread works but can't wait to change to a better one with no bloom.

dex_sda posted:

Watched the spunj thing and it looks great -- did my daily two comp games yesterday using those basic strats and it worked really well. Will also check out adreN. Thanks!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Watched the spunj thing and it looks great -- did my daily two comp games yesterday using those basic strats and it worked really well. Will also check out adreN. Thanks!

Yeah it's great. The most important three pieces of advice that are applicable to all maps are: heatmap based comms; when you get killed by someone doing a dumb play that worked because you assumed too much about your utility that's just the game and you need to suck it up because it was you making the mistake of thinking the utility was foolproof; and if someone fights a spot, you fight with them as a team, even if that player is loving retarded.

I like both spunj and adren because they have good mid-to-high level advice, are quite entertaining, and as a bonus they're not cunts.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 19, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Infernew is hilarious and fun. It's all I play right now. CTs never expect the boost up behind the wall on Banana, don't know how to defend B (mostly) and seem to always go A cause mid is there.

Also, Inferno is in Italy. Blue and red make me think near Bologna. Probably wrong on the city but definitely Italy. You can hear Italian via radio right before sec be mid.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
This Vp vs Finatic games is terrible. The number of DDOS and disconnects are killing me. But, some funny stuff happens.
https://clips.twitch.tv/epicenter_en1/WonderfulStingrayFrankerZ

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When is valve gonna make guns always shoot perfect center and add strafe jumping and weapon spawns

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Pomp posted:

When is valve gonna make guns always shoot perfect center and add strafe jumping and weapon spawns

Sometimes I unironically think this but then realize that what I really want is for Quake to be popular again. Every time I play Quake Live I get discouraged because of how ruthless and better all the remaining players are compared to me.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
can anyone recommend a good keyboard i need a keyboard with buttons for playing and pausing music and ideally a little scrollbar for the volume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Up Circle posted:

can anyone recommend a good keyboard i need a keyboard with buttons for playing and pausing music and ideally a little scrollbar for the volume.

The corsair k70 has all of those things and is good