Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nobody can breathe in space you idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

"Breathing" is both the physical action, and the process of oxygen diffusion and neither necessarily requires the other.

Many fictional beings, such as Superman, can do the former even without the opportunity for the latter.

You should have prepared better.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lurdiak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHRNSeuvzlM

One Punch Man's never going to make it to the big leagues like superman and goku. It's like hoping Stardust the Super Wizard gets brought up.

I dunno opm is pretty drat popular for something not riding off of 20 or 70 years of familiarity

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's the process of diffusion to and from the external environment, which is clearly impossible because the whole fundamental principle of space is that there is no environment.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

site posted:

I dunno opm is pretty drat popular for something not riding off of 20 or 70 years of familiarity

Saitama is a joke character, it's like saying "lol Impossible Man wins all fights"

Not that there's anything wrong with OPM, it's good and cool. But if you're seriously committed to a "Who Would Win?" mentality it's not a legit answer.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lightning Lord posted:

Saitama is a joke character, it's like saying "lol Impossible Man wins all fights"

Not that there's anything wrong with OPM, it's good and cool. But if you're seriously committed to a "Who Would Win?" mentality it's not a legit answer.

If you're seriously committed to a who would win mentality i will walk away rather than talk to you

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

site posted:

If you're seriously committed to a who would win mentality i will walk away rather than talk to you

Agreed, but I'm just saying it's not an acceptable answer to someone who treats fiction like an FPS deathmatch.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lightning Lord posted:

Agreed, but I'm just saying it's not an acceptable answer to someone who treats fiction like an FPS deathmatch.

You shouldn't want to provide acceptable answers to these people

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Excuse me why am I on trial??? Other people were asking. How dare you

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Ghostlight posted:

Nobody can breathe in space you idiot.

Are you telling me comics lied to me? What about reading in dreams? Is that true?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I take such matters seriously and I accept Saitama as a viable answer. Suck it, Lightning Lord. :smug:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

You'd think that people would recognize that, but I have some bad news for you.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

WickedHate posted:

I take such matters seriously and I accept Saitama as a viable answer. Suck it, Lightning Lord. :smug:

How do you determine which character could defeat which? FASERIP? Villains and Vigilantes? Mutants and Masterminds? Champions? Golden Heroes? Godlike? Silver Age Sentinels? Superworld? Marvel Heroic? DC Heroes? Heroes Unlimited? Aberrant? Superhero: 2044?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Lord posted:

How do you determine which character could defeat which? FASERIP? Villains and Vigilantes? Mutants and Masterminds? Champions? Golden Heroes? Godlike? Silver Age Sentinels? Superworld? Marvel Heroic? DC Heroes? Heroes Unlimited? Aberrant? Superhero: 2044?

Mortal Kombat Armageddon.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Roth posted:

This is something I need to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG-NU9bsUPs

Here you go. The moment in question is about twelve minutes in, though the whole episode is worth watching.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Clearly the one comic character who would defeat all is Stardust The Super Wizard.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Skwirl posted:

Clearly the one comic character who would defeat all is Stardust The Super Wizard.

I would love to see Death Battle tackle Stardust vs. Saitama. They already did Chuck Norris vs. Segata Sanshiro, so it's not like they're strangers to absurd overpowered caricatures.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Lightning Lord posted:

Actually Impossible Man probably would win a lot of fights, assuming motivation wasn't a question.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I would love to see Death Battle tackle Stardust vs. Saitama. They already did Chuck Norris vs. Segata Sanshiro, so it's not like they're strangers to absurd overpowered caricatures.

I really don't see how a martial artist could have a counter for being turned into a head.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

I really don't see how a martial artist could have a counter for being turned into a head.

It's a matter of if Stardust can gently caress Saitama up before his fist connects.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Scaramouche posted:

Actually Impossible Man probably would win a lot of fights, assuming motivation wasn't a question.

Motivation is the entire point of Impossible Man. In his first appearance the Fantastic Four beat him by convincing New York to ignore him.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also Saitama isn't a joke character. Like...at all.

His abilities are obtained via a joke and he was set up as the logical endpoint of super powered shonen comic superheroes, but he has an arc, he grows and changes, and his abilities are reflective of his personality. And without getting all spoilery about it he gets seriously challenged both mentally and physically even with his one-punch powers.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Trap sprung, I got you to talk about characters vs characters like it's reddit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

It's a dumb internet video mashup logic doesn't matter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

WickedHate posted:

It's a matter of if Stardust can gently caress Saitama up before his fist connects.
The one consistent factor in Stardust stories is he never gets around to doing anything until after the fact. He's purely reactive, literally watching villains achieve their goals of floating millions of people into space before he punishes them for it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

Though Goku (well Vegetto) beat the poo poo about of Super Buu while in the form of a piece of candy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Unless reddit is a lot better than I thought about discussing themes and narrative structure, not really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It probably is, buried somewhere in all those View More Comments and plus arrows you have to click.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lightning Lord posted:

I was reading them more as GameFAQs.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Madkal posted:

But just think of all the fun* "who would win" discussions you get to hear

*Fun not included.

Lightning Lord posted:

Dance puppets dance!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know, once you know that Gerard Way is a Morrison protege, you rewatch MCR's music videos and that mother fucker shows up a LOT.

"Look at that generic bald dude in the back-oh, that's Grant Morrison again"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Weren't a whole album's worth of videos telling one story with him as the antagonist? Makes sense he's in all of them.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I'm not getting Death of X 2-4 because I'm hacked off over what happened to Madrox.

Have I become everything I hate?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I'm not getting Death of X 2-4 because I'm hacked off over what happened to Madrox.

They killed him off back in the Fatal Attractions crossover in like 1993. He got the Legacy Virus from giving a mutant CPR I think. People were really upset about it back then too. He's a very, very easy character to kill off because whoops, looks like that was just a dupe! The real Madrox is back, everybody!

So don't sweat it. He'll be back.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I mean, if you hate that for some reason, yes? But I think just walking away is a perfectly rational response if you don't like something. Vote with your feet, man. God knows I took a walk when Extraordinary #1 made the "we actually are this spiteful about not having the movie rights" writing on the wall too clear to be ignored.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

purple death ray posted:

They killed him off back in the Fatal Attractions crossover in like 1993. He got the Legacy Virus from giving a mutant CPR I think. People were really upset about it back then too. He's a very, very easy character to kill off because whoops, looks like that was just a dupe! The real Madrox is back, everybody!

Sounds like a Maddox-bot to me.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

joehonkie posted:

I was reading them more as GameFAQs.

:drat:

Madkal posted:

Dance puppets dance!

Doesn't the puppetmaster defense only apply when you've actually done something wrong?

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Also Saitama isn't a joke character. Like...at all.

His abilities are obtained via a joke and he was set up as the logical endpoint of super powered shonen comic superheroes, but he has an arc, he grows and changes, and his abilities are reflective of his personality. And without getting all spoilery about it he gets seriously challenged both mentally and physically even with his one-punch powers.

That doesn't stop him from being a joke character, like these things can apply to the Tick as well. OPM exists to parody shonen. However there's nothing wrong with being a joke or parody character at all so it's kind of splitting hairs I guess. Just noting that most of the people I've seen seriously into this poo poo would issue a yellow card for trying to bring it up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Jamie didn't die until X-Factor #100! Eight months after Fatal Attractions!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

Jamie didn't die until X-Factor #100! Eight months after Fatal Attractions!

Right, the infection happened around that crossover though, right? I remember him being a weird shut in for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

purple death ray posted:

Right, the infection happened around that crossover though, right? I remember him being a weird shut in for months.

I think they later revealed he was infect in X-Factor #87 or something. I think it's an editor's note in #100.

• Locked thread