Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lois Lane made herself black for a news report, Castle made himself black to kill criminals. Make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Error 404 posted:

Frank Castle is the Pepe Le Pew of murder.

It's like...the only thing he does.

I think the reaction was more towards "that time he became a black man" than the unsurprising reveal that Frank tries to kill Luke.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

flosofl posted:

I think the reaction was more towards "that time he became a black man" than the unsurprising reveal that Frank tries to kill Luke.

What's even better is that he wound up that way due to plastic surgery ... in an abandoned factory ... performed by a drug addicted prostitute who used to be a student doctor in the Bronx. Oh, and who is also apparently a hair stylist.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I keep hearing speculation that this season is building up to a reveal of Mephisto. I'm not seeing the clues to this at all, aside from who or what Robbie sold his soul to. Is there something else I'm missing?

Also, in terms in crossover, Punisher and Ghost Rider did team up and cross over a couple of times. It was a couple of years or so before Marvel went full on X-TREME 2 THE MAAAAX around 1994 (read: over-muscled everything, super-guns and pouches), at that point in time when they were first trying a dose of grim-dark storytelling. Notably. Punisher and Luke Cage also teamed up for a while, and the only reason I know that is because I happened to find those comics in my collection just yesterday. Weird thing is that I have no recollection of ever reading them, but there they were. I also forgot Luke went through a costume change phase where he looked an awful lot like Blade.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I'm pretty sure all Frank's team-ups end with him trying to kill the other person at some point.

There's a rule in comic books that heroes have to fight each other the first time they meet (usually over some misunderstanding or mistaken identity) before they can team up and it happens aaaaaall the time. Even Quake fought with Ghost Rider in the last episode before they teamed up.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

It's merely very unlikely to have lived one's entire life in a country roughly 1000 miles from another country but have a friend there that you're close enough with to be part of their wedding party. That is, unless as someone else pointed out, part of that second country was a popular place for people from the first country to emigrate to.
Nah, that's dumb. If Daisy had an old friend who moved to Italy and stayed in touch, then invited her to be in her wedding, nobody would bat an eye. Hell, I've been in wedding parties twice for friends I grew up with, each of whom live several thousand miles away in another country.

Doronin posted:

Also, in terms in crossover, Punisher and Ghost Rider did team up and cross over a couple of times. It was a couple of years or so before Marvel went full on X-TREME 2 THE MAAAAX around 1994 (read: over-muscled everything, super-guns and pouches), at that point in time when they were first trying a dose of grim-dark storytelling. Notably. Punisher and Luke Cage also teamed up for a while, and the only reason I know that is because I happened to find those comics in my collection just yesterday. Weird thing is that I have no recollection of ever reading them, but there they were. I also forgot Luke went through a costume change phase where he looked an awful lot like Blade.

Yeah but that was also when everything was crossing over with everything. New 37 part X-Men/Avengers/Spider-Man/Moon Knight crossover with special deluxe die-cut gatefold hologram cover with 4-part limited series and one-shot tie-ins and #0 prequel issues!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, it's probably gonna be Foggy appearing for an episode or two. Like when Sif showed up.

I will hold out hope for Jennifer far after Foggy makes his appearance.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Doronin posted:

I keep hearing speculation that this season is building up to a reveal of Mephisto. I'm not seeing the clues to this at all, aside from who or what Robbie sold his soul to. Is there something else I'm missing?

The Darkhold has been mentioned, but that's not directly tied to Mephisto in the comics. It does look like Robbie is going to be an actual Spirit of Vengeance, though, since his uncle Eli is still alive and in prison, so that would point to Mephisto. That's all we have to go on at the moment.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Random question, but are there any goons currently watching SHIELD, but who dropped it back in Season 1, and picked it up again after it got really good?

It just seems to me that main viewership stories like that are of people never being convinced to come back to the show, or picking up a random episode and deeming it not particularly better than the original show.

(That or Ward fangirls mourning their loss and hating the show).

I only ask because I'm always surprised that this show is losing viewers, when it's consistently good and fun, and easily the best superhero show out there to boot. (Certainly non-Netflix edition, though Gotham will probably always have my heart). I'm pretty sad that the show probably won't make it to season 5, or that Season 5 will probably be a shortened half season. The ratings are toilet-y.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Open Source Idiom posted:

Random question, but are there any goons currently watching SHIELD, but who dropped it back in Season 1, and picked it up again after it got really good?

It just seems to me that main viewership stories like that are of people never being convinced to come back to the show, or picking up a random episode and deeming it not particularly better than the original show.

I only ask because I'm always surprised that this show is losing viewers, when it's consistently good and fun, and easily the best superhero show out there to boot. (Certainly non-Netflix edition, though Gotham will probably always have my heart). I'm pretty sad that the show probably won't make it to season 5, or that Season 5 will probably be a shortened half season. The ratings are toilet-y.

I just watched it straight through, totally oblivious to the fact that season 1 was bad and it was only once I got to the second season that I did realize how much better it was.

I can't blame people for not being convinced to go back to the show. I can't have watched more than 5 episodes of Supergirl and I still won't look at any more of it.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

sticklefifer posted:

Nah, that's dumb. If Daisy had an old friend who moved to Italy and stayed in touch, then invited her to be in her wedding, nobody would bat an eye. Hell, I've been in wedding parties twice for friends I grew up with, each of whom live several thousand miles away in another country.

Most goons don't even want to leave their parents' basement, the idea of traveling thousands of miles to go to a wedding in a different country is downright baffling to them. :v:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Don't almost all shows shed viewers? Like, my impression is that it's very very very few shows that get to end entirely on their own terms, and all the rest fall victim to a cost/viewership imbalance. Some of those do get time to wrap up their arcs, but still end earlier than they would have.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I stopped watching early in season 1, then before season 2 started I saw the hype for the end of season 1, and I went back and rewatched the whole thing from start to finish. A side from a few true clunkers it was actually quite decent, and I still believe a lot of the ill will would not have existed were it not for the highly irregular schedule season 1 had.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Gotham will probably always have my heart

It's scary how much Gotham fuckin' stepped up, though. It went from sub-Constantine, bottom of the TV comic book show barrel dreck to giving Agents of SHIELD a pretty good run for its money for my favourite broadcast television comic book show. The moment when Butch rocket launchered Azrael is one of my favourite moments in TV.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Aw poo poo do i have to start watching gotham now

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I mean...you don't have to. But you should? It's got some of the most well-realized, outlandish characters on TV right now. Just Penguin and Riddler being adorable super-BFFs is worth the price of admission.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alright, so give us the play-by-play. How many seasons do we have to struggle through before it picks up?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The thing about Gotham that bothers me is Bruce is still a kid but his future nemeses are in their 20-30s. Is Batman going to end up beating up geriatrics or did they fix that somehow?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Watch anything without Jada Pinkett-Smith in it. Although, she does improve marginally in season two.

EDIT: And Bruce is, like, 14/15, so about ten years away from going full bat. By that time, characters like Ed and Oswald will be in their early 40s. That's hardly geriatric. But, yeah, don't bother trying to reconcile anything that happens in Gotham with any other Batman media. It's its own alternate timeline and poo poo's going down differently in it.

Phylodox fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 17, 2016

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

I watched a few episodes into Season 1 and then dropped it by accident. It wasn't a conscious decision-- I literally just sort of forgot that it was on for several weeks, and then once I remembered, I realized I had no desire to catch up, so I didn't. I jumped back in at Season 2 after hearing about how good the end of 1 was, but I didn't actually go back and watch the rest of 1 until 2 was done airing.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah but that was also when everything was crossing over with everything. New 37 part X-Men/Avengers/Spider-Man/Moon Knight crossover with special deluxe die-cut gatefold hologram cover with 4-part limited series and one-shot tie-ins and #0 prequel issues!

Oh man, how could I forget. That is why I stopped buying for a long time. You couldn't pick up anything without "*see [insert comic + #]" in nearly every panel. Now that I think about it, I wonder if that's why I have so much poo poo in my collection I can't remember ever buying? One day I'll sit down and spend enough time to figure that out.

AbsolutelySane posted:

The Darkhold has been mentioned, but that's not directly tied to Mephisto in the comics. It does look like Robbie is going to be an actual Spirit of Vengeance, though, since his uncle Eli is still alive and in prison, so that would point to Mephisto. That's all we have to go on at the moment.

Ooooooh, got it. That actually makes sense then. Thanks!

Phylodox posted:

It's scary how much Gotham fuckin' stepped up, though. It went from sub-Constantine, bottom of the TV comic book show barrel dreck to giving Agents of SHIELD a pretty good run for its money for my favourite broadcast television comic book show. The moment when Butch rocket launchered Azrael is one of my favourite moments in TV.

Amen to that. I was on the verge of giving up on that show and then right when I was ready to step off that ledge, it got really great.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Alright, so give us the play-by-play. How many seasons do we have to struggle through before it picks up?

I literally couldn't make it past the shooting of the Waynes in the first episode it was bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RareAcumen posted:

Season 1 is a mix of okay and bad, usually in the same episode. Season 2 they start embracing the campiness and that's really when it takes off.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Season 1 is a mix of okay and bad, usually in the same episode. Season 2 they start embracing the campiness and that's really when it takes off.

Are we talking about Gotham here? Because I remember giving the gently caress up on it somewhere in the end of S1 when I couldn't cringe past one of Bruce's crybaby moments.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

EricFate posted:

What's even better is that he wound up that way due to plastic surgery ... in an abandoned factory ... performed by a drug addicted prostitute who used to be a student doctor in the Bronx. Oh, and who is also apparently a hair stylist.

Yeah, the Kingpin was gunning for Frank and had killed off all the support characters he'd been punishing with the last few issues so the prostitution that owes Frank a favor changes his face to hide him. Frank then teams up with Luke to defend a tenement from gangers trying to tear the place apart looking for the landlords hidden Nazi gold.

It was this big planned story to reintroduce Luke Cage to the Marvel Universe after his end of the 70s hiatus.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Alexeythegreat posted:

Are we talking about Gotham here? Because I remember giving the gently caress up on it somewhere in the end of S1 when I couldn't cringe past one of Bruce's crybaby moments.

I noped out when Jada Pinkett-Smith didn't get everyone with her shot by pulling some stupid "negotiation" bullshit with the guy holding her prisoner.

As if someone in charge of an operation like that wouldn't immediately harvest her organs and kill her for being a trouble-maker.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I couldn't manage to watch Season 1 of Gotham, past the few first episodes, and then a few more while watching the non-Joker kid streak from season 2. That season 2 segment was ok-ish but, well, it ended the way it did, and a few episodes later I slowly dropped the whole thing again and never looked back.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

sticklefifer posted:

I would bat an eye because I pay attention to the internal consistency of the show instead of blindly defending a show with unrelated claims about your life. Daisy had no few friends before joining Shield; in fact the only one she spoke of was the hacker the show has already talked about. Her isolation was a core aspect of her character.

Anyway, someone already pointed out a flaw in my reasoning so what exactly are you trying to say?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alexeythegreat posted:

Bruce is actually a pretty stone cold badass, now.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Phylodox posted:

Bruce is actually a pretty stone cold badass, now.

how badass on the Batman "it ain't murder" scale?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Next episode is giving us what we have always expected since they announced Robbie will be on this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNggo2fl1sk

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenriverninja posted:

how badass on the Batman "it ain't murder" scale?

Bruce almost sacked up and shot a dude in the face.He left him a gun so he could kill himself in shame. Messed up. He kind of helped murder another dude and kept his goddamn mouth shut like he should.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

bloodychill posted:

Anyway, someone already pointed out a flaw in my reasoning so what exactly are you trying to say?
That it's dumb to think Colombians having good friends in the US is so unlikely and glaring that it bears vocal criticism, so, carry on I guess.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

The MSJ posted:

Next episode is giving us what we have always expected since they announced Robbie will be on this show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNggo2fl1sk

"Matchstick man". Nick Cage reference? :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The worst thing in this season of Gotham was in the last Fish Mooney episode they literally had characters going "You're so cool" and not killing her because of that. It was really stupid and felt like bad fanfiction.

There was a preview of the next episode and Fitz and Simmons are moving in together!

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 18, 2016

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Apparently this is on soon? Watching it thanks to Canada, great so far.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Daisy you are dumb. I can't use the gloves because they are too inconspicuous. Better to shatter my arms with power use.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 19, 2016

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Oh they're getting an apartment together

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Daisy! What if they do want that apartment, now you've gotten blood all over the wall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Radio! posted:

Daisy! What if they do want that apartment, now you've gotten blood all over the wall!

Lower rent obviously. She's trying to help.

• Locked thread