Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

LLCoolJD posted:

Can Miles recruit at an elite level at any P5, or just while owning Louisiana? If the former, they could do worse.

It's been awhile, but Oklahoma State was pretty dead before Miles got there and got them rolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bird in a Blender posted:

ISU always seems to pull of coaching hires that at least look good at first, and Purdue has more money, so they can probably find someone decent enough.

ISU at least has institutional and fan support though.

Which is actually more sad if you think about it for too long. ISU tries really hard to win and is terrible. Purdue doesn't care and is terrible.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thoguh posted:

ISU at least has institutional and fan support though.

Which is actually more sad if you think about it for too long. ISU tries really hard to win and is terrible. Purdue doesn't care and is terrible.

Serious question: Does Iowa have the population to have two middlin' to good teams?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Regnevelc posted:

Purdue is the 4th option in Indiana behind Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan. If Miles can bring up some of the mid to high 3 stars from the schools he has inroads with down South then he may be able to boost Purdue a bit.

Purdue just has no name anymore in the realm of college football, the Tiller years are far far far gone.

5th probably. Indiana is a level above purdue as sad as that is

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

whiteyfats posted:

Serious question: Does Iowa have the population to have two middlin' to good teams?

No, especially since there's also an FCS power in the state as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

whiteyfats posted:

There's a reasonable chance that Idaho is going to have two bowl teams this year, so you tell me.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

Two names I'll probably be laughed at for mentioning: Coastal Carolina HC Joe Mogila (former TD Ameritrade CEO, not a bad idea to let him build), or if Purdue wants P5 coaching experience, Schiano. If he can get Rutgers to respectable he should be able to do the same at Purdue.

Schiano thinks he can land a top 10 job. He can't, but he like Fleck won't touch Purdue.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

purdue's coaching search hampered by the staggering decline of people with blond mustaches

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

whiteyfats posted:

New York and New Jersey schools would field great teams year-in, year-out if it were merely a question of population. Iowa has slightly more people than Mississippi.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Regnevelc posted:

Purdue just has no name anymore in the realm of college football, the Tiller years are far far far gone.

Have they ever really had a name? All I remember is that time Kyle Orton fumbled so badly that it destroyed an entire program and that Drew Brees might have been quarterback there at some point. Anything before that is mysterious.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sash! posted:

Have they ever really had a name? All I remember is that time Kyle Orton fumbled so badly that it destroyed an entire program and that Drew Brees might have been quarterback there at some point. Anything before that is mysterious.

Looking at winsipedia, the last time Purdue was consistently good was in the 60's.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Sash! posted:

Their thing is the Cradle of Quarterbacks. No really.

To be fair they have produced three NFL hall of famers. Well 3 whenever Brees gets in.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

Sash! posted:

George Steinbrenner and Hank Strahm coached there. Len Dawson, Bob Griese and Drew Brees all played there and won Super Bowls as pro's.....plus, there are quite a few other great QB's including Orton, Jim Everett, Mark Hermann and the great Curtis Painter and Mike Phipps! They had a nice long run of defensive ends under Tiller too, I think Ryan Kerrigan is the only one still active.

In the 60's and 70's they were the Spoilermakers, pulling off a big upset once or twice a year.....there's potential there, but there's also a lot of inner turmoil because I don't think the board of Trustees and the administration has any interest in football costing them money.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
All Purdue needs to do to get back to the glory days of the tiller era is recruit the best QB in conference history again. Honestly I don't know why they haven't tried.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

wernox posted:

.....there's potential there, but there's also a lot of inner turmoil because I don't think the board of Trustees and the administration has any interest in football costing them money.

Football is a brand investment. University administrations would be wise to recognize this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

General Dog posted:

There's a reasonable chance that Idaho is going to have two bowl teams this year, so you tell me.

This would perhaps be relevant if Iowa and Iowa State were in the MAC or Conference USA.

Iowa having two power five conference teams is definitely a weird anarchism. Both got lucky in that the conferences they joined
100 years ago wound up being really successful. ISU obviously would almost certainly not be in a major conference if they were being drawn up again from scratch. Iowa probably would be since its historically a top 30 or so program but the market size would definitely be an issue. If you look at most of the surrounding states (Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Missouri) all of them only have 1 FCS football program and most of those states have a better talent pool to pull from (significantly so in the case of Missouri).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MourningView posted:

This would perhaps be relevant if Iowa and Iowa State were in the MAC or Conference USA.

Iowa having two power five conference teams is definitely a weird anarchism. Both got lucky in that the conferences they joined
100 years ago wound up being really successful. ISU obviously would almost certainly not be in a major conference if they were being drawn up again from scratch. Iowa probably would be since its historically a top 30 or so program but the market size would definitely be an issue. If you look at most of the surrounding states (Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Missouri) all of them only have 1 FCS football program and most of those states have a better talent pool to pull from (significantly so in the case of Missouri).

There are other states like Oregon, Oklahoma, and Kansas that have similar populations and also support multiple teams. But in those cases the schools are in the same conference. As far as I can recall Iowa is the only state that both has small population and schools in multiple conferences.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Thoguh posted:

There are other states like Oregon, Oklahoma, and Kansas that have similar populations and also support multiple teams. But in those cases the schools are in the same conference. As far as I can recall Iowa is the only state that both has small population and schools in multiple conferences.

South Carolina has 4.8 million and two P5 teams in different conferences. That's a bit bigger than those states but not totally incomparable.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Thoguh posted:

To be fair, Kansas has never really supported KU and KSU at the same time, it's always been a zero-sum (or negative-sum) game between the two.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Absent Bill Snyder Kansas hasn't even really supported one

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

MourningView posted:

Absent Bill Snyder Kansas hasn't even really supported one

Have you forgotten about the time Kansas went to the Orange Bowl?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Henchman of Santa posted:

South Carolina has 4.8 million and two P5 teams in different conferences. That's a bit bigger than those states but not totally incomparable.

Proximity to Georgia is relevant there.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Have you forgotten about the time Kansas went to the Orange Bowl?

That was truly a turning point for the football program

E: So KU started the 2009 season 5-0. That was the season Mangino was canned for abuse.

How many games have they won since? 13

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

That was truly a turning point for the football program

E: So KU started the 2009 season 5-0. That was the season Mangino was canned for abuse.

How many games have they won since? 13

All because that one player couldn't take some good-natured ribbing about his alcoholic father.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

I know Fleck is one of the top plums to be picked this year, but a (very much biased) blog had the opinion that if WMU made the Cotton Bowl, Fleck may stay at WMU. I'm struggling to understand his reasoning, because I am absolutely a mega-homer for the Broncos/Row-Boaters, but I can't see his logic on this one. Beyond maybe the big-boys take the program seriously and he has incentive to build or something? Help me understand this madness

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

mercenarynuker posted:

I know Fleck is one of the top plums to be picked this year, but a (very much biased) blog had the opinion that if WMU made the Cotton Bowl, Fleck may stay at WMU. I'm struggling to understand his reasoning, because I am absolutely a mega-homer for the Broncos/Row-Boaters, but I can't see his logic on this one. Beyond maybe the big-boys take the program seriously and he has incentive to build or something? Help me understand this madness

Really, the only hope for WMU keeping Fleck is a crappy job market. There aren't many realistic scenarios where he stays, but he might if it's WMU vs Purdue or some other shithole. So root for blue bloods with iffy coaches like Auburn, Texas or Oregon to finish strong and pray Ed Orgeron wins his way into the LSU job.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if fleck doesn't leave Western after this year then he's either the worst interview of all time, or something has gone horribly wrong.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

DJExile posted:

Yeah if fleck doesn't leave Western after this year then he's either the worst interview of all time, or something has gone horribly wrong.

He's a midwestern guy, so a good opening out there would seem to be the first place he'd go. I don't know what James Franklin's buyout is, but Penn State won't stomach mediocrity forever.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

maybe he really loving loves Bell's.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

maybe he really loving loves Bell's.

I mean, I do

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

mercenarynuker posted:

He won't.

Fleck was begging for the Rutgers job last year, albeit he didn't have this season to stand on. No way he is staying, and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, in almost every situation a coach will leave. If Google offered you a lot of money you would probably quit your job and go work there.

And I'm not bragging, he used to be an assistant at RU. Before this year he was seen as a major stretch even with Flood cratering our program.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

Fleck was begging for the Rutgers job last year, albeit he didn't have this season to stand on.

lmao

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

He won't.

Fleck was begging for the Rutgers job last year, albeit he didn't have this season to stand on. No way he is staying, and I'm not trying to be a jerk about this, in almost every situation a coach will leave. If Google offered you a lot of money you would probably quit your job and go work there.

And I'm not bragging, he used to be an assistant at RU. Before this year he was seen as a major stretch even with Flood cratering our program.

I wouldn't brag about Rutgers football if I were you, either

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

mercenarynuker posted:

I wouldn't brag about Rutgers football if I were you, either

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's pretty funny how much better than Rutgers WMU is

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Marquis de Pyro posted:

It's pretty funny how much better than Rutgers WMU is

WMU -17 over Rutgers this year?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Is the game in Jersey? Then at least -17, yeah. Hell, they won by 14 in Champaign

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Real Name Grover posted:

Is the game in Jersey? Then at least -17, yeah. Hell, they won by 14 in Champaign

I mean - Rutgers should travel to WMU, tbh. School hierarchy and all.

Karmalaa70
Jun 15, 2006
Although I imagine that post is entirely made up, if it's true that Rutgers passed on Fleck to hire Chris Ash then they deserve all the suck present and future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
look at all your losers who aren't up on your message board rumors

• Locked thread