Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

CharlesM posted:

How hard is it to get parts for the tractor?

Should be fairly easy. Tractor restoration/shows are a massive industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

CharlesM posted:

How hard is it to get parts for the tractor?

http://dennis-carpenter.com/default.aspx?tab=tractors

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Root Bear posted:

The first time I let out the clutch a little too quickly on the incline coming up the rack,
I nearly fell right off the back of it had I not been hanging onto that steering wheel for dear life. Also the only throttle control is a dial/lever on the dash next to the steering column.
And the only brakes are on the rear wheels and they're manual lever-action drums. Who needs seat belts on a tractor anyway?

When I was trying (and initially, failing miserably) to learn to drive stick at 16, my dad regaled / beat into my head stories of how when he was ~10, he was driving tractors and how if you let the clutch out on one too quick, you'd backflip and kill yourself.

Sometime later, I found a copy of Stand On It that my grandpa had given my dad as a gift, inscribed "To the fastest tractor driver in the world". So I suspect he may have taken some liberties in his youth with just how fast one could get away with launching a tractor while not dying :haw:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
8Ns are super easy to get parts for. they're great little tractors.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I guess it's like grey Fergies over here in that sense.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

cursedshitbox posted:

There are also kits to put a flathead v8 in them!

Just in case you need to do some speed plowing.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rbl9u92ts8

Absolute insanity.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Ferremit posted:

Tractors are worked by farmers until they literally split in two in a way that cant be welded back together any more or catch fire and burn to the ground, so theres huge aftermarket part support for them.

My Father in Law runs a Massey from the 1930s every day, and it's no garage queen.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Judging right hand apexes must be a pain

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Next season of battlebots lookin good

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

We've got a semi-regular customer who had one on his farm he was tinkering with. He was a tad bit surprised to see us find a generator for it in under 5 minutes. :haw:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
Went to a car show today. Didn't take pictures of everything, but here are my favorites.

1931 Ford Mail Truck

1965 Ford Econoline Passenger Van

1970 Iso Rivolta LeLe

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Huh, never heard of that last one before. I like it.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

"Crazy Swedes in smashed-up Saabs: Welcome to Folk Racing"

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/videos/crazy-swedes-in-smashed-up-saabs-welcome-to-folk-racing/

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Root Bear posted:

A 1951 Ford 8N Tractor. :haw:

A vehicle so basic that the engine and drive-train are also the main chassis; and the front I-beam axle just swivels back and forth like a see-saw on a pivot shaft mounted in the middle.
The only "suspension" is the air in the tires (inner tubes, actually) and a U-shaped metal spring mounted between the rear diff and the padded metal seat beneath your rear end.
The 2-liter 4 cylinder makes around 90 lb/ft of torque at 1500 rpm and is backed with a 4-speed manual transmission. The first time I let out the clutch a little too quickly on the incline coming up the rack,
I nearly fell right off the back of it had I not been hanging onto that steering wheel for dear life. Also the only throttle control is a dial/lever on the dash next to the steering column.
And the only brakes are on the rear wheels and they're manual lever-action drums. Who needs seat belts on a tractor anyway?

Anyway, the steering on this one was binding terribly and also way sloppier than it normally should've been. I ended up having to dismantle most of the top half of it to remove the double pitman-arm steering gear assembly. The trashed main-shaft bearings were replaced and the rest of it thoroughly cleaned/lubricated and reassembled back to factory specs. I then set the total toe-in by using the trusty chalk and tape-measure method once it all went back together. It'll be hard to find another tractor this old with steering as tight and fluid as this one has now. :banjo:

I learned to drive on one of these. Wonderful machine.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

You Am I posted:

Judging right hand apices must be a pain

:eng101:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

CharlesM posted:

Huh, never heard of that last one before. I like it.

Neither had I. I went with my neighbor and we brought his 1932 Ford BB 1.5 ton dump truck (partially visible behind one of the Econoline photos). We saw the Iso come in and I chased it down to see what it was. Beautiful car.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

iForge posted:

Neither had I. I went with my neighbor and we brought his 1932 Ford BB 1.5 ton dump truck (partially visible behind one of the Econoline photos). We saw the Iso come in and I chased it down to see what it was. Beautiful car.

Why are you not posting photos.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://imgur.com/gallery/TxnSV

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

quote:

Load 1107 more images

Holy poo poo.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

SO down with this :fap:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

quote:

Literally salivating.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

ishikabibble posted:

Why are you not posting photos.

I don't have pics of most of his collection. Here is one from snapchat.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

*drives it straight into Jersey barriers*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Really blows my mind that something like an F40 could ever get into a state where it needs a full on restoration.

I would have thought that as soon as its racing days were over some collector would snatch it up and baby the gently caress out of it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

xzzy posted:

Really blows my mind that something like an F40 could ever get into a state where it needs a full on restoration.

I would have thought that as soon as its racing days were over some collector would snatch it up and baby the gently caress out of it.

It sounds weird but old race cars were still just trash until like the late 90's.

I mean, in a lot of ways they still are. Dunno many LMP-1 cars in private hands, ya know?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

VikingSkull posted:

It sounds weird but old race cars were still just trash until like the late 90's.

I mean, in a lot of ways they still are. Dunno many LMP-1 cars in private hands, ya know?

This. It's an old race car that never won anything and is too messed with to pretend to be a road car without a lot of work. "Well, I'll lose money if I sell it so I'll just hang on to it for now..."

Oh yeah, and privateer grade LMP-1 stuff is definitely in private hands - or at any rate I've seen it for sale, and there's a lot of P900 or WSC/GTP stuff out at vintage races.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If there's a market for the ByKolles LMP1 car I'll eat my hat.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

VikingSkull posted:

And that's before you get to the fact that spare parts just don't exist for some of them, or that some parts of the car might not even be sold with the car because the team doesn't actually own them.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Let me refer you all to these two excellent threads on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=228&t=1357504

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1626807&r=34437925&hm=348080&mid=348080#34437925

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

VikingSkull posted:

I get that, but it's an F40. Those things were an instant legend whether or not they won any races because of the whole 200 mph thing.

Though based on the photo dump this one was a very badly abused F40, I guess even for a Ferrari there's a point where people go looking for easier targets.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I followed that guys restoration on some forum and really wished I could work at the sho that does that level of restoration work. Amazingly good work for one off carbon parts

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

xzzy posted:

I get that, but it's an F40. Those things were an instant legend whether or not they won any races because of the whole 200 mph thing.

Though based on the photo dump this one was a very badly abused F40, I guess even for a Ferrari there's a point where people go looking for easier targets.

Yeah, but it's an ex-race car. The people in the F40 market are looking for something they can drive on the street that doesn't have pragmatically hacked together stuff on it, while most vintage racers would say that, well, it never won anything and there's not really anywhere to race it so who cares?

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
You have to also realize that a lot of those top shelf race cars still have very expensive consumables. It's not like you're dealing with an old SCCA IT7.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
After some internal debate I am pretty sure this goes here.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
You're a more measured man than I; I would have pasted that poo poo in here pronto.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
I am the chicken wire headlights.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Saw this in the Algarve, Portugal. Stood out to me because I dont see old landcruisers in Scotland, and most other older vehicles in this country either have blown clearcoats, bashed to gently caress or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kastein posted:

After some internal debate I am pretty sure this goes here.

Is that a LeMons car?