Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
i wonder how much protein powder i can stir in with a pan of mac % cheese

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Jabronie posted:

You could just add more milk if it stops stirring. It's the way of the protein powder as an added ingredient.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Chest yesterday, then I bought a box of fried chicken. Hopefully will get burritos emergency airlifted to me in less than a week.

I could get used to this.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Jabronie posted:

i guess if you have unflavored whey this might actally be not bad

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
shortcut to gainzville:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Finally back up above #300 5x5 on deadlift.

I will never not be a tiny man baby.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

proof of concept posted:

shortcut to gainzville:

Guess who won the fight

Abs-man won the fight :smug:

never neglect your abs

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
they both have abs which one u talkin bout

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Had to skip the gym this morning because of a funeral and feel like a lazy piece of poo poo but on the other hand I know my bis and tris were bulging through the sleeves of my suit when I was carrying the casket.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
What happened when you OHPed the casket?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Finally back up above #300 5x5 on deadlift.

I will never not be a tiny man baby.

That's kilograms, right?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Say Nothing posted:

That's kilograms, right?

Nope! I'm a tiny man-baby.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's the effort that counts.

http://i.imgur.com/sWfPW7M.mp4

Khorne
May 1, 2002
did I just watch someone pass out on a single rep of 205lbs, did he hit his head and have a seizure?

also jealous as gently caress that his upper back doesn't round even a little

The only time I got lightheaded deadlifting was the first time I pulled sumo.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 18, 2016

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
maybe he just had a seizure and fell down

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
thats what he gets for dropping the weights, shockwave took him out

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Whatever the weight was, you can tell it was absolutely his 1rm from how he was shaking. He probably just had a quick spike up, then down in blood pressure causing that. Anytime I go hard on deadlifts I get lightheaded, but I always crouch down to ride it out to avoid exactly that, although I still haven't ever passed out myself.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
you can see his face transform into a beet from the effort like he's in an old popeye cartoon

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I hate guys who drop the weight like that. If you can't put it down, don't lift it up.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Fallows posted:

thats what he gets for dropping the weights, shockwave took him out

Rightful and just punishment.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FedEx Mercury posted:

I hate guys who drop the weight like that. If you can't put it down, don't lift it up.

Boo hoo

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
That had better have set off the lunk alarm or I'm going to talk to the manager.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Khorne posted:

did I just watch someone pass out on a single rep of 205lbs, did he hit his head and have a seizure?

also jealous as gently caress that his upper back doesn't round even a little

The only time I got lightheaded deadlifting was the first time I pulled sumo.

He just had a vasovagal response. You pass out, twitch a little bit, then the blood comes back to your brain and it's all good.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Here is a scientific diagram which illustrates the biological process under observation:

Now, in the figure above, Popeye the Sailor Man represents the lifter and Sinbad the Sailor/Bluto represents the weight being lifted. The action of the lift forces blood to the face, turning it into a powerful vegetable, bent on revenge

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

he was reaching for a salami

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

a mysterious cloak posted:

He just had a vasovagal response. You pass out, twitch a little bit, then the blood comes back to your brain and it's all good.

Where does the blunt force trauma of cracking your skull on the rack fit in?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Probably hurts?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of skull trauma, is it normal to feel a throbbing deep vein pain in your upper traps after an intense lift?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I forget exactly how to do it, but it's the breathing timing. If you do it just right (wrong) it's pretty much a for sure thing you're going to pass out.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So I am having my morning coffee, and poured a bowl of raisin bran. Starting eating and thought it felt a little odd in my mouth.

Apparently I poured the coffee cream into the cereal. This is what happens when you pull a 22hr shift the day before.

Still gonna eat it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

proof of concept posted:

you can see his face transform into a beet from the effort like he's in an old popeye cartoon

my face does that

i get red in the face real easy

Like, I don't even have to lift very hard

lots of face blood

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I love a good face pump.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Zzulu posted:

my face does that

i get red in the face real easy

Like, I don't even have to lift very hard

lots of face blood

Me too dog. I've got the Danish ancestry

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

FedEx Mercury posted:

Where does the blunt force trauma of cracking your skull on the rack fit in?

If you don't vasovagal after every lift, you're clearly not pushing enough weight.

jonathan posted:

I forget exactly how to do it, but it's the breathing timing. If you do it just right (wrong) it's pretty much a for sure thing you're going to pass out.

Strain like you're taking a massive dump - that's the Valsalva maneuver. Same deal when you're lifting heavy - when you stop straining, your blood vessels can't adjust quickly enough to maintain normal blood pressure > BP drops > fall down, crack head open, twitch a little.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a mysterious cloak posted:

If you don't vasovagal after every lift, you're clearly not pushing enough weight.

Strain like you're taking a massive dump - that's the Valsalva maneuver. Same deal when you're lifting heavy - when you stop straining, your blood vessels can't adjust quickly enough to maintain normal blood pressure > BP drops > fall down, crack head open, twitch a little.

So I've always inhaled enough that it felt right for posture and then began exhaling slowly as I was 75% through the lift, then with about half my air capacity I'd let the bar down. I've never felt light headed. Are you saying that people hold until the top of the lift then exhale strongly and that is causing the drop in BP ? I'm just trying to make sense as to if I am at risk with my breathing.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

jonathan posted:

So I've always inhaled enough that it felt right for posture and then began exhaling slowly as I was 75% through the lift, then with about half my air capacity I'd let the bar down. I've never felt light headed. Are you saying that people hold until the top of the lift then exhale strongly and that is causing the drop in BP ? I'm just trying to make sense as to if I am at risk with my breathing.

Pretty much. Yeah, rippetoe says to hold your breath but uh ... then that happens.

I'll breathe through most of the move, even if it takes 15% off my max. I'd rather not crack my head open.

(Pretty sure this can happen if you breathe too, it just happens more when you hold your breath from my under standing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

:golfclap: