Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

hcreight posted:

I want a job naming Penn State-themed ice cream.

Rape Culture Raspberry.

Pedophilia Apologist Pecan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, there's something though. Beyond just inordinate amounts of charisma, which most of the modern presidents on both sides have had.

Has anyone here ever met a president?

I met Al Gore, John Kasich and Newt during the gov't shutdown in 1996. My dad's good buddy was on Bill's secret service detail so we got an after-hours tour of the West Wing. The negotiations were going on and we met those three as they were leaving. Gore was kinda quiet, Kasich was super friendly and I remember thinking Newt was real loving weird.

I also got to go into the Roosevelt Room and hold TR's Nobel Prize and I got to take a step into the Oval. I still have a picture of 11 year old me behind the Press Pool podium when the pool were all in there.

Oh and we were late going into the West Wing because Clinton was having a sexual encounter with Lewinsky and we weren't allowed into the WW while the President was there. Good times!

My Mom still has a WH Christmas Tree ornament and a box of presidential M&Ms floating around somewhere.

Edit: Also just remembered that there were a poo poo-ton of Dortio's bags in the Roosevelt Room because that's where the negotiations were taking place.

ZoCrowes fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 19, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mdemone posted:

That's a common refrain. Even people who are aware of the effect, or are hostile to it because of their politics, still find him almost preternaturally magnetic.

There's actually someone else it reminds me of and I'm loving blanking on it and it's pissing me off. But yeah, it's a rare level and it's practically enchanting.

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Still there, same name

gently caress Penn State.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

theflyingorc posted:

if you told me that bill clinton was the reason mcdonalds started doing all day breakfast i would legitimately believe you

Actually I happen to know the reason McD's is doing all-day breakfast, and it's hilarious. About ten years ago I produced a corporate gig for them and had a bunch of high-level meetings at Hamburger University where they talked about long-term strategy. The decline in fast food sales was starting to get undeniable, and the franchise-holders were starting to panic. The suits walked me through the "in case of emergency, break glass" business plan if things got too bad, and all-day breakfast was the last item on the list. McDonalds in the US is hosed. They're focusing on becoming a third-world brand almost entirely, and fully expect to shrink down to a coffee-and-egg-sandwich shop in the US within a generation.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

hcreight posted:

Rape Culture Raspberry.

Rhythmic Slapping Strawberry
Cover Up Crunch

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I don't agree with Patricia Smith, but she's a grieving mother. If I lost one of my kids like that I can't say I wouldn't latch onto *circumstance* as the sole cause of my child's death and crusade against it as some sort of way to try to assuage my grief.

My heart breaks for her and I hope I'm never in that situation. I'm not going to vilify a grieving mother.

As someone with young children, almost just the thought of it is enough to mentally unhinge you. I have absolutely no doubt that I would become permanently unable to deal with reality.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think Vilerat's wife has made only one major statement about the event, and it was pretty much that the State Department kept her in the loop and she always felt up to date.

It's very different from his mother's statements.

I think there's a few possibilities.
1. One of them is lying. Not likely.
2. Vilerat's mom had much higher demands for information, the kind that can never be satisfied. Possible.
3. Vilerat had filled out a form at some point listing emergency contacts, and put down his wife only, so the State Department was obligated to treat her like any other interested citizen. (I think it's this one)

Definitely the last one.

I know that if you make a designation on some forms in the government that designation always takes precedence. People can and do accidentally leave things like their retirement survivor's benefits to their ex-spouse.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
I worry about Pat Smith making an elaborate scene during a lull for the cameras (either directed by Trump or not). Scream about Clinton murdering her son, and bursting into tears. If I were a monster, that's what I'd do (pay that awful woman to do it).

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ZoCrowes posted:

Oh and we were late going into the West Wing because Clinton was having a sexual encounter with Lewinsky and we weren't allowed into the WW while the President was there. Good times!

Are you serious.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pedophilia Apologist Pecan.

Rhythmic Slapping Rum Raisin

edit: goddammit, we BOTH went for the least tasteful possible joke

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I feel like even after all this bullshit she deserves more respect than for us to roll our eyes and say "ugh what an easily manipulated crazytoons" and/or condescension about how she's "letting the GOP manipulate her"

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

hcreight posted:

Rape Culture Raspberry.

Molestation Mocha.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Politico had a story a few days back that due to the Trump circus they've changed the entrance rules for this debate. No more ritual greeting between the campaign/family groups just everyone going straight to their chairs by different routes.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Talmonis posted:

I worry about Pat Smith making an elaborate scene during a lull for the cameras (either directed by Trump or not). Scream about Clinton murdering her son, and bursting into tears. If I were a monster, that's what I'd do (pay that awful woman to do it).

Fortunately I think Clinton has probably been prepped all day on what to do if there is an outburst like that

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

Molestation Mocha.

Salty Sandusky!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rocky Road to 409

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Are you serious.

Haha yep! The Starr report detailed the dates of their encounters and the night we were there was one of the Lewinsky nights. They even mentioned that the President was working later than normal in the West Wing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I don't agree with Patricia Smith, but she's a grieving mother. If I lost one of my kids like that I can't say I wouldn't latch onto *circumstance* as the sole cause of my child's death and crusade against it as some sort of way to try to assuage my grief.

My heart breaks for her and I hope I'm never in that situation. I'm not going to vilify a grieving mother.

Oh, I don't blame her at all. I don't like what she's doing, but I certainly understand why. And yes, GOP members that are encouraging her to take this to a national stage are the ones to blame.

edit: Strawberry Sandusky

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Rhythmic Slapping Strawberry
Cover Up Crunch

Bad Touch Blueberry

Rapey Raspberry

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ZoCrowes posted:

Haha yep! The Starr report detailed the dates of their encounters and the night we were there was one of the Lewinsky nights. They even mentioned that the President was working later than normal in the West Wing.

It's always sounded to me like Monica was doing all the work :colbert:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Epic High Five posted:

I've always thought Love Trumps Hate was dumb because my brain automatically parses it to mean that they're in favor of the hate Trump spews

Dilbert guy is a hilarious retard but he's quite good on what actually persuades people and he thought so too. It's a dumb slogan, because it also has LOVE TRUMP which probably wasn't the message they wanted.

Interestingly so is that /pol hashtag #nextfaketrumpvictim, because it puts fake and trump together, as well as next trump victim, aa well as trump and victim (rather than TRUMP WINNAR). Just all round useless.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think Vilerat's wife has made only one major statement about the event, and it was pretty much that the State Department kept her in the loop and she always felt up to date.

It's very different from his mother's statements.

I think there's a few possibilities.
1. One of them is lying. Not likely.
2. Vilerat's mom had much higher demands for information, the kind that can never be satisfied. Possible.
3. Vilerat had filled out a form at some point listing emergency contacts, and put down his wife only, so the State Department was obligated to treat her like any other interested citizen. (I think it's this one)

Vilemom also never liked his wife very much, so I can't imagine that helps a whole lot.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/EmersonPolling/status/788818251476180992

Submitted without comment.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Joe Paterno knew and at best deliberately ignored it for a decade and people still try to defend him cookie dough

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
My dad has a picture of himself using our... state gavel or whatever it's called, to pretend he's taking it up the butt. I do not know exactly what the circumstances were for this.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Goatman Sacks posted:

SNL's debate skits have been pretty good, I loved their take on Trump's lovely attempts to rattle her - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVMW_1aZXRk&t=210s

SNL has been pretty much unfunny trash beyond Chris Farley and the Sean Connery jeopardy stuff, but holy poo poo every one of the Donald Trump and Hillary skits have been hilarious.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Starr report says he offered to reciprocate. He may be a sleaze, but don't you dare accuse him of being selfish.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Dilbert guy is a hilarious retard but he's quite good on what actually persuades people and he thought so too.

No he objectively isn't

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Pick posted:

My dad knows the head of one of the departments, but seeing Bush was a total coincidence when we were in town :shrug:.

Chelsea Clinton actually came to a school dance at my school in the early 90's.

But of course I wasn't at a school dance because my hard-core goonage even predates the existence of somethingawful.

I did see Sasha Obama at a Bat Mitzvah party I was working at though. So I guess I redeemed my missed opportunity of seeing a president's 13 year old daughter somewhere?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hillary's going to get to take over @POTUS in 2017 right? We don't have any precedent for the handover of official presidential social media accounts yet

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The Starr report says he offered to reciprocate. He may be a sleaze, but don't you dare accuse him of being selfish.

You know what, I'm genuinely happy to learn that

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

See what All Day Breakfast has wrought.

Witness the triumph of McMuffin.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Egg Mcmuffin should probably ensure he has armed guards after the election.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Crowsbeak posted:

Egg Mcmuffin should probably ensure he has armed guards after the election.

He's an ex spy. He'll be fine.

Until the Polonium gets him for foiling Putin.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

IIRC that was central to Bill's claims in the first place. By the very precisely worded definitions used in the deposition Monica had sexual relations with Bill, but Bill didn't have them with her because he never reciprocated.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Goatman Sacks posted:

Marcus Luttrell is hilarious, when his dumb movie came out he would get soooooooo mad when people implied all his friends died for no real reason.

Someone left his book lying around at work so I tried reading it, but the first or second chapter had a rant about the LIBERAL MEDIA and how it was basically their fault a helicopter got shot down. I put it back down and I have no interest in reading the rest of his bullshit.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Joe Paterno knew and at best deliberately ignored it for a decade and people still try to defend him cookie dough

Seems like a mouthful

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

1337JiveTurkey posted:

IIRC that was central to Bill's claims in the first place. By the very precisely worded definitions used in the deposition Monica had sexual relations with Bill, but Bill didn't have them with her because he never reciprocated.

It's like "your face ran into my fist" but for sexual intercourse.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

See, my immediate thought was "No way his wife doesn't smell that on him, or ask him why he's showering at 8pm." I'm kinda glad he was offering instead of covering his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

When was the last time a third party won electoral votes?

• Locked thread