Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Quorum posted:

Bingo. Also the increased prevalence of people who Aren't Like Us. It's no mistake that the kind of ugly smear campaign carried out against Bill became so much more open, accepted, and total in the presidency of a black man. It's the same substance, but taken to 11. Bill Clinton was able to appoint Supreme Court justices.

Yeah, my dad's batty Bircher aunt didn't have an easy way to hook up with like-minded crazies in the 1960s. Right-wing nuts back then weren't 100% scams, and there was a higher degree of literacy and curiosity needed to get involved in that poo poo.

Now, it's impossible to join a "conservative patriot" feelgood type Facebook group without seeing poo poo about Michelle Obama secretly being a dude, (((bankers))) acting in collusion with Killary to destroy America, the POTUS being a secret Muslim and a secret gay and a secret communist, etc. Somehow making deals with Iran is double-treason when it's Obama, while Reagan's don't count. And the Republican presidential candidate is out there retweeting PrisonPlanet and giving speeches whose key terms will direct any curious recipients to Alex Jones, and get their toes dipped into the Icke pool of deeper delusions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Trump is feeling so prepared for the debate that he didn't bother doing the walk-through this morning. Also he apparently didn't bother to tell anyone he wasn't doing it.

Guardian Live Blog posted:

From the press pool: Donald Trump skipped his walk-through at the debate venue in Las Vegas, which had been scheduled for 11:00 am.

The pool had not been informed of the walk through plans.

“He didn’t do the walk through,” a campaign aide told the pool.

When pressed about why, and whether a stand-in participated, the aide said “his debate team is taking care of it.”

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

So is McMullin just the "Ed Balls" of this election for Utah, or...?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

1337JiveTurkey posted:

IIRC that was central to Bill's claims in the first place. By the very precisely worded definitions used in the deposition Monica had sexual relations with Bill, but Bill didn't have them with her because he never reciprocated.

If you want to know why Hillary will never lose to Trump in a debate, its because she has been putting up with poo poo like this from Bill for 40 years

Its like going from Kasparov to a toddler

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

You can do it, Egg McMuffin. Just got to hold that lead over Drumpf.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah, there's something though. Beyond just inordinate amounts of charisma, which most of the modern presidents on both sides have had.

Has anyone here ever met a president?

When I was ~13 my family was on vacation in Prague and we saw Hillary doing a procession through the old Jewish cemetary and I remember a fleeting instant of eye contact from across several gravestones. She did not look like she was having a fun time.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

1337JiveTurkey posted:

IIRC that was central to Bill's claims in the first place. By the very precisely worded definitions used in the deposition Monica had sexual relations with Bill, but Bill didn't have them with her because he never reciprocated.

Finally I understand. I was never totally clear on what the linguistic killshot was supposed to have been, aside from "that depends on what the definition of 'is' is".

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

mdemone posted:

When was the last time a third party won electoral votes?

George Wallace.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

1337JiveTurkey posted:

If he'd reciprocated he would have demanded a different definition or given a different answer, but yeah, that's why he didn't commit perjury. :v:

It was something like "sexual relations comprises contact with the other player's erogenous zones for reason of titillation" and if she was the only one contacting erogenous zones he did not, in fact, have sexual relations with that woman. :toot:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I don't agree with Patricia Smith, but she's a grieving mother. If I lost one of my kids like that I can't say I wouldn't latch onto *circumstance* as the sole cause of my child's death and crusade against it as some sort of way to try to assuage my grief.

My heart breaks for her and I hope I'm never in that situation. I'm not going to vilify a grieving mother.

Yeah, people react in some crazy ways to grief, and losing a child is widely regarded as being as lovely as it gets. I wish it were otherwise, and I hope she finds peace, but I can't be salty about her reaction.

The people happy to exploit her grief for their political ends though...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

1337JiveTurkey posted:

It wasn't because of that. The claim that Bill tried to stick with is that he did not have sexual relations because sexual relations involved sexual intercourse and he would only comment on that. He was trying to argue that oral sex was not "sexual intercourse" and therefore it was accurate to say "I did not have sex with that woman." It was that line of questioning that led to the famous "depends what the definition of is is" line.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

mdemone posted:

Wallace I think

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Vilemom also never liked his wife very much, so I can't imagine that helps a whole lot.

I bet all her speeches haven't brought them any closer together.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

mdemone posted:

Wallace

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Night10194 posted:

See what All Day Breakfast has wrought.

Witness the triumph of McMuffin.

Ein Reich, Ein Yolk, Ein Sandwich

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

mdemone posted:

Consequently, when was the last time we had an election that didn't have a sitting President, Vice President, Governor, or member of Congress as a candidate in either party?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Consequently, when was the last time we had an election that didn't have a sitting President, Vice President, Governor, or member of Congress as a candidate in either party?

Where is Joementum when you really need him.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

I feel like Trump's Hail Mary is to bring people into the audience and hoping it melts down like an episode of Jerry Springer. That he knows he can't win, so instead he wants to make a spectacle of Hillary Clinton instead because that's what he knows and that's what he's comfortable with. Like no one would know that his personal guests that he invited cause problems on live TV. It'd be all the media needs to stop taking him seriously at all and burn him to the ground. It may be why Ailes left since while he may not have morals, he does have standards as he's a professional. That's a wild guess though.

I really do think that Trump is in full on wounded animal mode and will do absolutely anything to preserve his pride to the detriment of absolutely everyone else. My hope is that good or ill it goes off without a hitch and is super boring and that Trump doesn't make a spectacle of it. I'd never hear the end of it in my lifetime if someone rushed the stage or leaped up and called her a murderer.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
FYI from the same batch of Emerson polls PA is only Clinton +3 so that's a bit worrying

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Joe Paterno knew and at best deliberately ignored it for a decade and people still try to defend him cookie dough

can we emptyquote in d&d

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I hope he breaks down and tells his supporters flat-out that they might as well stay home and not vote at all because it's rigged or whatever other reason. In his mind this might be "owning" failure. But it would be a downticket cataclysm.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Egg McMuffin might be the most quietly interesting subplot of this election. I can't wait to root like hell for him the moment the race is called for Hillary. By all account s that should be before the votes in Utah are even counted.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Goatman Sacks posted:

FYI from the same batch of Emerson polls PA is only Clinton +3 so that's a bit worrying

Emerson is the lovely land line only poll iirc.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

1952?

edit: Oh wait I see what you mean. Never mind.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Egg McMuffin might be the most quietly interesting subplot of this election. I can't wait to root like hell for him the moment the race is called for Hillary. By all account s that should be before the votes in Utah are even counted.

Can you give me a 101 rundown about the guy? I've barely heard of him until he pulled ahead in the Utah poles a few days ago.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

NmareBfly posted:

When I was ~13 my family was on vacation in Prague and we saw Hillary doing a procession through the old Jewish cemetary and I remember a fleeting instant of eye contact from across several gravestones. She did not look like she was having a fun time.

ok that guy on the right is clearly David Cross doing a character

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Wiz posted:

John Miller.

Moderator: "Before we begin, Donald Trump has told me he has an announcement to make. Go ahead, Mr. Trump."

Trump: "For twelve months you have been asking: 'Who is John Miller?' This is John Miller speaking..."

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

theflyingorc posted:

can we emptyquote in d&d

Seriously, that is my biggest issue when I deal with Paterno apologists. The best possible interpretation of events still means Paterno was told of the incident in 2003 and just completely ignored it.

Even if you want to believe he wasn't part of the cover-up (he was), he still admitted to knowing and not following up on it ever

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

mdemone posted:

Where is Joementum when you really need him.

Had this thought earlier. Did he give up on SA?

edit: or did we give up on him? or did he get a job?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
My family was on vacation in Maine when I was small, and we got stuck in hideous traffic because the HW Bush motorcade was heading the same way we were on it's way to Kennebunkport. I remember thinking it was cool we were that close to the president, but also being sorta mad at him for holding things up because my little brother had shat his diaper and the backseat smelled awful. My dad had to talk my mom down from giving him the finger :v:

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Longish read, but a good read of an interview with Naomi Klein and Glen Greenwald about the journalistic ethics of covering a lot of the poo poo wikileaks is upto these days: https://theintercept.com/2016/10/19/is-disclosure-of-podestas-emails-a-step-too-far-a-conversation-with-naomi-klein

Highlight is her very mild zinging of him for devoting significant resources to covering several gross violations of privacy, while building himself up as the lone defender of such:

That literally won't be allowed to happen (1) and (2) she did that during the RNC.

Outside of barring her from entering the room there's nothing that will prevent it from happening. If she starts screaming how do they stop it? Drag her out of the room?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I seem to remember the dilbert guy being considerably more pro-Trump just 2 months ago 🤔

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Scent of Worf posted:

I seem to remember the dilbert guy being considerably more pro-Trump just 2 months ago 🤔

He's still really pro-Trump, he's just a mealy-mouthed turd about it because he's legitimately afraid he will be put up against the wall in a Clinton win scenario.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

I think it may have been Taft vs. Bryan in 1908

e: dammit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Why does McMullin have such a huge lead in Utah? I get he filed too late in order to get on the ballot, so Utah is one of the only states he can win. He's mormon, sure, but otherwise ??

edit: someone already asked, and it got answered below!

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Chokes McGee posted:

So is McMullin just the "Ed Balls" of this election for Utah, or...?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Can you give me a 101 rundown about the guy? I've barely heard of him until he pulled ahead in the Utah poles a few days ago.

He's a Mormon dude who is a really orthodox Republican, running on basically just a #NeverTrump platform. That's all there is to it, really.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Ice Phisherman posted:

Formerly worked at the CIA.
Has a lot of money
Big into the LDS network through involvement at BYU
Republican that ran as an independent to protest Trump's less than stellar neo-conservative foreign policy credentials and vulgarity
Doing well in Utah polls because Mormon conservatives don't like Trump
Almost certainly not going to do as well in the actual vote as he does in polls, because he is a protest candidate. Some people will come around to Trump and some just won't vote.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

size1one posted:

Outside of barring her from entering the room there's nothing that will prevent it from happening. If she starts screaming how do they stop it? Drag her out of the room?

Yes?

If Im not mistaken audience members have to sign that they will follow the rules or be removed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Formerly worked at the CIA.
Has a lot of money
Big into the LDS network through involvement at BYU
Republican that ran as an independent to protest Trump's less than stellar neo-conservative foreign policy and vulgarity
Doing well in Utah polls because Mormon conservatives don't like Trump

So why do we care if he wins Utah?* Just because Republicans always win there?

*Utah!

• Locked thread