Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Ardennes posted:

No, I would say the IMF could do something positive but in reality they trap countries into failure. If the IMF disappeared you probably would see far more bilateral lending from individual countries.

We're getting a bit outside the scope of the thread, but why in the world would the IMF "trap countries into failure" when it's the success of those countries that provide a return on their investment? I think they can be shortsighted at times and corrupt and money-grubbing at other times but in the best case scenario they are aiming for economic success and development within a country. I agree that too often that vision is corrupted by a desire for fast returns and privatization.

I don't really see other countries stepping up to the plate, unless their goal is also to extract concessions and sovereignty. And the fact that few countries care to offer loans on better terms than the IMF (in these particular cases) suggest that maybe they couldn't fill the gap.

In any case it was fun to talk about and made me think more but I'll stop now because this thread isn't about the IMF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Play posted:

We're getting a bit outside the scope of the thread, but why in the world would the IMF "trap countries into failure" when it's the success of those countries that provide a return on their investment? I think they can be shortsighted at times and corrupt and money-grubbing at other times but in the best case scenario they are aiming for economic success and development within a country. I agree that too often that vision is corrupted by a desire for fast returns and privatization.

I don't really see other countries stepping up to the plate, unless their goal is also to extract concessions and sovereignty. And the fact that few countries care to offer loans on better terms than the IMF (in these particular cases) suggest that maybe they couldn't fill the gap.

In any case it was fun to talk about and made me think more but I'll stop now because this thread isn't about the IMF

Granted, I would say much of the future of MENA region is dependent on the IMF. As for why the IMF does what it does, it is a good question because if anything I think their policies are actually so detrimental in the long term that it does hit bottom lines. It is harder to make money when a country is in complete chaos. I think it is mostly strict ideological Orthodoxy that stems from the Cold War (it is ironic because the seeds of a second Cold War are born from it.)

They may "aim" at success but they are so ideologically rigid that it is most of the time disastrous (sounds familiar?).

As for other countries stepping up to the plate, actually China has been pretty steadily. They are lending quite a bit in the developing world for infrastructure projects and actually challenging the dominance of the US in quite a few regions. They mostly have stayed out of the Middle East and Europe though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

The fact that the Saudi's have proven to ha e very itchy trigger fingers is not, in my opinion, the main problem with supporting the Saudi state.

It lies more in the fact that it is an absolute authoritarian state that has shown absolutely no care for anything other than carrying out their reactionary policies. "The West" shouldn't support Saud because the Saudi state is good for little else other than providing a good contrast of what western conceptions of human rights, equality before the law, and democratic rule are supposed to stand for.

I honestly don't understand how anyone can support Saudi intervention in Yemen and Western support for it.

It's hosed up, but the real answer to why the US has supported this is that SA has been the biggest purchaser of American arms in the world, since 2011. There's been an ongoing question of what specifically they are trying to buy all kinds of top-of-the-line American weaponry for, but the US has been happy to sell it as it has definitely kept the US arms industry alive and well, particularly at a time when pulling out of a recession was of extreme political importance. Of note, SA is 3rd globally for military spending (~80 billion, which puts them at 1/3-1/2 of Chinas military budget). They also spend 13+% of their GDP on military expenditures which is insane by any standards (US is 3.3, China is ~2 IIRC).

Interestingly, it's been a shift in SA military aims: they now have an extremely well equipped military. All of that poo poo about having just enough military to put down protesters is 100% a thing of the past, they've been buying literally anything the US will authorize for export. The question of why they are buying the weapons is a bit hard to pin down insofar as SA is not very transparent. That said, SA rhetoric suggests a showdown with Iran is in the near (1-10 years) future. Similarly, SA has increased plans to play a greater role regionally (which Yemen obviously is a part of, though Yemen I think half appeals to SA as a means of getting their military some actual practice at war-fighting).

Optimistically: SA plans to be the regional player, above Turkey, Iran, or Israel. Cynically: we're seeing a pre-war weapons buildup because SA is planning to start some serious loving wars in the region. Honestly my money is on #2. You don't spend 13% of your GDP without some seriously militaristic poo poo going on in your society. And besides, from a cynical pov, who can blame them? they've got the money to burn on the best weaponry in the world and the US is still an unflinching ally. At worst the US will disapprove, at best the US straight up has their back. If you've got the biggest bully on your side, yeah you're going to start some poo poo.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 19, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's hosed up, but the real answer to why the US has supported this is that SA has been the biggest purchaser of American arms in the world, since 2011.

It's much older than 2011, and weapons aren't the main reason.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-05-30/the-untold-story-behind-saudi-arabia-s-41-year-u-s-debt-secret

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Rebels with ATGMs still pretty good at destroying soviet relics. This coming a day after the same guy blew up that group of SAA infantry in that video posted a couple days ago.

maybe a little :nws:?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYiPkmN-QQY

I think they forgot to leave their hollywood pyrotechnics at home.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have not been paying attention much sorry but is the Mosul offensive the first time American and Iranian forces have worked in concert like this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imapanda posted:

Rebels with ATGMs still pretty good at destroying soviet relics. This coming a day after the same guy blew up that group of SAA infantry in that video posted a couple days ago.

maybe a little :nws:?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYiPkmN-QQY

I think they forgot to leave their hollywood pyrotechnics at home.

Probably filled with ammunition.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

I have not been paying attention much sorry but is the Mosul offensive the first time American and Iranian forces have worked in concert like this.

The US has been indirectly aiding Iranian backed Shia militias for pretty much the duration of the fighting in Iraq since Mosul fell.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Volkerball posted:

The US has been indirectly aiding Iranian backed Shia militias for pretty much the duration of the fighting in Iraq since Mosul fell.

Was it part of he nuke truce or separate.

Probably all wrapped up together ?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Sultan of the Ottoman Empire is saying crazy things again.

https://twitter.com/EuphratesShield/status/788720442584346624

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i um, feel like i fell behind. what master? is it Gulen? It's Gulen, isn't it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

it's america, he's starting to spout the russian line

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I think at this point the going conspiracy theory isn't that Gulen was behind the coup, it was that the CIA was using Gulen as a front for the coup.

So I think he's talking about the US.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The nice thing about not spelling it out is that he gets to let people pick the conspiracy of their choice. Other likely targets are Israel and the US.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

Was it part of he nuke truce or separate.

Probably all wrapped up together ?

Nah, nothing like that. The US has just determined that fighting ISIS is their top foreign policy priority, and in the "realist" security-centric view of the conflict, that encourages alliances with some unsavory types. Provided they are contributing militarily against ISIS (and aren't toxic as hell to Russia.) The US won't outright admit they have helped these groups, but they have provided air strikes on their behalf, and haven't exactly been up Iraq's rear end about weapons provided to the ISF finding their way into Shia militias hands.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

euphronius posted:

We worked together early on in Afghanistan too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_uprising_in_Herat

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

We worked together early on in Afghanistan too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_uprising_in_Herat

It's really sad how the Axis of Evil speech wrecked any possibility for cooperation, and then the Iraq War strengthened Iran's position in the region (and showed that we were unable/unwilling to take on another major war), which gave them fewer reasons to care about better relations with the US.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:wow:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

I'd say their role in keeping the price of oil stable matters far more to the US than holding a lot of treasury bonds if we're talking long-term, though the two are connected. Stable oil prices (or at least a reliable bottom floor) means stable treasury bonds. My main point is that SA has undergone a major shift in policy in the last decade that is leading it towards some kind of major confrontation, which based on their rhetoric seems most likely aimed at Iran ultimately.

That SA military spending has quietly blown up in the last 5 years should be alarming af.

Rudy Kadett
Oct 22, 2007

Haven't seen this covered in the thread -

Today the Russians have accused the Belgian air force of having killed civilians in a bombing of the town Hassadjek. (Yes, really) The air force maintains it hasn't been near the town. General consensus on the TV-news, among the usual pundits etc. has of course been that this is just Russian disinformation with the aim of driving a wedge between the members of the coalition. Our Minister of Defence and Minister of Foreign Affairs have demanded an explanation.

Links in English to the relevant articles, from national broadcast website: http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2797326 and http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/Politics/1.2797544

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Okay, I have no idea what the gently caress he's playing at at this point:

https://twitter.com/evrenselgzt/status/788703108994138112

quote:

Erdogan: We will lay siege on Manbij and Al-Bab
The whole reason Euphrates Shield stopped going after Manbij was because US SOF literally raised US flags in the city to keep Turkey and the FSA from shooting at the city. Do they think anything's really changed since then?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I say let him do it. There's far too few videos of poorly used Turkish M60's getting whacked by ATGM's

e- bonus points if they use a TOW

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bonus points if the Turkish Air Force meets the S-400.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Well the region south of Mare has exploded. The FSA and SDF are in open conflict and there are reports of Turkish and russian airstrikes in the area.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Seems like the US needs to make it clear to Erdogan that he's on his own if he blunders into a shooting war with Russia because he couldn't stop killing the rebels we support. NATO's a defensive alliance, not a blank check to do whatever you want with unlimited backing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Erdogan is probably on the phone with Putin every step of the way. This is all stuff directed at the US.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

Erdogan is probably on the phone with Putin every step of the way. This is all stuff directed at the US.

They're definitely talking, but at least some FSA groups have made it pretty clear that Aleppo's their next stop after Al Bab, so I have to imagine Russia would prefer for the Efrin buffer to remain in place if possible. The only way their interests could really coincide is if Turkey's planning to backstab the rebels and occupy northern Syria as the country is partitioned so Assad has a more manageable rump state to manage, but that seems messy at best.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

They're definitely talking, but at least some FSA groups have made it pretty clear that Aleppo's their next stop after Al Bab, so I have to imagine Russia would prefer for the Efrin buffer to remain in place if possible. The only way their interests could really coincide is if Turkey's planning to backstab the rebels and occupy northern Syria as the country is partitioned so Assad has a more manageable rump state to manage, but that seems messy at best.

I think Erdogan's desire at this point is more to drive a wedge between the two SDF forces then completely annihilate them. Also, I don't know how well Turkish backed FSA units are going to do without air support if they did make it to Aleppo, at a certain point those units can't fight both ISIS and the SDF as well as Pro-Assad forces unless the Turkish military actually goes all in.

This probably has been spurred by the fact that SDF forces are pushing pretty strongly towards Al-Bab as well.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 19, 2016

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ardennes posted:

I think Erdogan's desire at this point is more to drive a wedge between the two SDF forces then completely annihilate them. Also, I don't know how well Turkish backed FSA units are going to do without air support if they did make it to Aleppo, at a certain point those units can't fight both ISIS and the SDF as well as Pro-Assad forces unless the Turkish military actually goes all in.

This probably has been spurred by the fact that SDF forces are pushing pretty strongly towards Al-Bab as well.

Even just opening a corridor to Aleppo allows weapons to start entering the city in a big way again though, including anti-air weaponry if Turkey feels like it. If I'm Putin, I'm definitely hoping the Kurds get to Al-Bab before the FSA.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sinteres posted:

Even just opening a corridor to Aleppo allows weapons to start entering the city in a big way again though, including anti-air weaponry if Turkey feels like it. If I'm Putin, I'm definitely hoping the Kurds get to Al-Bab before the FSA.

I think Putin probably hopes for them to "meet in the middle" and squabble over the city, distracting both from making any further advances south.

Also, ironically enough SDF forces are inadvertently shielding the best route to Aleppo itself.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-crisis-syria-jarablus-idUSKCN12J2CW

quote:

Two months after driving Islamic State from this Syrian border town, the young rebel fighters patrolling its streets nurse an ambition beyond the aims of their Turkish backers: to break the siege of Aleppo.

These Free Syrian Army (FSA) fighters, some in their teens, others hardened by years of war, swept into Jarablus almost unopposed in August.

They were part of Turkey's "Operation Euphrates Shield" meant to clear the jihadists from the border and prevent Kurdish militias gaining ground in their wake.

But for them, that operation was a means to an end, just the start of a journey that would ultimately see them battle their main enemy - the Russian-backed forces of President Bashar al-Assad - and come to the aid of hundreds of thousands of civilians encircled in opposition-held eastern Aleppo.

Such ambitions leave Turkey in a difficult position as it restores relations with Moscow.

Long one of Assad's fiercest opponents, Ankara's main priority appears to have shifted towards preventing Kurdish territorial gains and away from pushing for his immediate departure, putting it at odds with the fighters it supports.

"Our most important target is to break the siege of Aleppo. There, our FSA brothers are trapped," Ismail, a commander from the Sultan Murad group, an FSA faction, told Reuters in Jarablus, wearing camouflage fatigues and Adidas sneakers.

"This is our own idea, but in the coming days we will discuss this with our Turkish brothers," he said.

The answer may not be what he wants to hear.

CO-FIGHTERS

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan and Russia's Vladimir Putin agreed at a meeting in Istanbul last week to try to seek common ground on Syria, despite backing opposing sides, although there has been little sign of concrete progress.

Erdogan said he had spoken with Putin on Tuesday and agreed to try to help meet a Russian demand that fighters from the group formally known as the Nusra Front, now called Jabhat Fatah al Sham, be removed from Aleppo.

"The necessary orders were given to our friends, and they will do what is needed," Erdogan said in a speech in Ankara.

Such willingness to do Moscow's bidding is unlikely to go down well with the FSA fighters Turkey is backing.

"Russia says they are bombing terrorists, but be it al Nusra or Ahrar al Sham, these are people who have fought with us to save our land," Sighli Sighli, another commander from the Sultan Murad brigade, told Reuters in Jarablus.

He said he was grateful for the backing of the Turkish military, and that the FSA's recent advances could not have been achieved without it, but that Aleppo was the strategic goal.

"It's not possible for us to accept what Russia or Iran or the PYD (Kurdish militia) wants to do with our country. This land belongs to Syrians, not Russians or Iranians," he said.

HARDER FIGHT AHEAD

Some of the civilians in Jarablus, where shops have gradually reopened selling fruit and cloth as rebel fighters patrol the streets on foot and in pick-up trucks, are also suspicious of Ankara's warming ties with Moscow.

"My family is starving in Aleppo. Thousands are starving... Erdogan has left our people there to die, he has abandoned us," said one Turkmen resident who gave his name only as Yahya, and who said his wife and five children were in Aleppo.

ALSO IN WORLD NEWS

Abandoned villages on road to Mosul rigged with tunnels and bombs
Major Russian naval deployment to intensify Aleppo assault: NATO diplomat
"He sold Aleppo off to the Russians and Iranians. They made a deal and they no longer care about Aleppo," he said, standing outside a grocery store in the main square.

Rebel fighters who have benefited from Turkish firepower in recent weeks are less skeptical, convinced that they will go on to battle Assad in Aleppo once Turkey's ambition of flushing Islamic State from its border is achieved.

"We have put aside our desire to fight Assad just for now. We haven’t abandoned it ... it's not like we've dropped our target," Bessam Muhammed, a 40-year-old rebel fighter, told Reuters in the garden of a Turkish-run field hospital.

"We haven’t come all the way and fought this war to seize Jarablus and then stay here," he said.

Operation Euphrates Shield has made good progress. Backed by Turkish tanks and warplanes, the rebels captured the village of Dabiq, southwest of Jarablus, from Islamic State on Sunday, a stronghold where the jihadist group had promised a final, apocalyptic battle with the West.

Turkey's military has said border security has now been largely achieved. But as the offensive moves towards al-Bab, 35 km (22 miles) northeast of Aleppo, the battle may get harder.

"The fight here for Jarablus was easy, but the fight for al-Bab will be much harder. Here there wasn't much resistance. They fled the town and we moved in," said Mahmut, 26, an FSA fighter wearing a Turkish police helmet.

"We don’t want to stop here or in al Bab. Next is Aleppo."

(Writing by Nick Tattersall; editing by Philippa Fletcher)

Erdogan has hugged it out with Putin and is going to tell Nusra to leave Aleppo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Erdogan has hugged it out with Putin and is going to tell Nusra to leave Aleppo.

It's hard to imagine Nusra walking away at this point, but maybe they'll take the opportunity to withdraw from a fight they can't win, who knows. The US tried to separate the other rebels from Nusra during the last cease fire though, and instead we saw a bunch of them pledge their loyalty to Nusra.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit
"...once Turkey's ambition of flushing Islamic State from its border is achieved."

Yes Turkey really, really cared about this.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Runaktla posted:

"...once Turkey's ambition of flushing Islamic State from its border is achieved."

Yes Turkey really, really cared about this.

but that's why they crossed to secure the border?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Descar posted:

but that's why they crossed to secure the border?

They crossed the border to prevent the Kurds from capturing that territory from ISIS, though continual ISIS attacks in Turkey also began to play a role once the targets stopped being Turkish Kurds.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'd say their role in keeping the price of oil stable matters far more to the US than holding a lot of treasury bonds if we're talking long-term, though the two are connected. Stable oil prices (or at least a reliable bottom floor) means stable treasury bonds. My main point is that SA has undergone a major shift in policy in the last decade that is leading it towards some kind of major confrontation, which based on their rhetoric seems most likely aimed at Iran ultimately.

That SA military spending has quietly blown up in the last 5 years should be alarming af.

It's alarming to me because they just borrowed $10 billion and are looking for another $15 billion from new foreign investors. They cut govt worker salaries by a quarter (slave workers are now literally slaves because they haven't been paid or fed for months). Lamborghini money, I mean "allowances" are being held back. They seem to be completely ruined if oil doesn't go back up to the $60-80 range. They are dependent on a 31 year old Prince to figure out how to make their economy not reliant on oil by 2030.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

Ardennes posted:

That policy has not changed at all, actual IMF recommendations really have no change drastically since the 1990s. In Tunisia they are demanding the government cut back on public salaries, one of the few sources of public stability the country has. It has not backed away from privatization either. The IMF has always recommended cutting back food subsides in Egypt. The terms of the IMF "economic stability" means cutting back government spending until there is a surplus, thats it.

quote:

Mati: First, let me say that reforming the civil service is the number one priority listed by all the key stakeholders we talked to, and not surprisingly is at the top of the authorities’ list in their economic vision. All stakeholders recognize both weaknesses in the quality of public services and the unsustainability of the current wage bill path, which represent 65 percent of tax revenue, 14 percent of GDP, and 45 percent of total spending.

The reform—which aims at increasing public sector efficiencies and quality of services—will look at several aspects, including status for high-level civil servants, revision of the pay structure, better linking of pay with performance, and redeployments to the underserved interior regions. It will also help contain the wage bill by reducing it to 12 percent of GDP by 2020, thereby creating the necessary fiscal space to double public investment.

Civil service reform is a necessary step to create growth but can only be successful if the reform achieves broad-based consensus. This in turn requires reforms in other important areas. For example, civil service reform should go hand in hand with tax reform that improves fairness by widening the base and increasing the purchasing power for the lowest income taxpayer (e.g., by raising the income tax threshold). As recognized by the authorities, reform implementation is essential as only the private sector can create sustainable jobs— not the public sector.

Civil service wages in Tunisia are unsustainably high. And the IMF isn't saying "reduce civil service wages to pay your loans", they're saying "reduce civil service wages and invest in poverty-reduction, also raise taxes on the rich and lower taxes on the poor."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

:siren: US Reporting that ISIS' leaders are currently fleeing Mosul. :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Throatwarbler posted:

I feel like we're getting close to the point where we really have to wonder what the end game in Syria could possibly be. Not like this hasn't already been a concern, but with all the opposing groups getting to a point where they're really butting up against each other...is there any option that doesn't result in one group getting full on genocided? I mean, it's become pretty clear that Assad gives no fucks and is not going to leave willingly...and no one (besides Turkey and whatever FSA group is up there, I think) wants the Kurds to get completely hosed. It's completely breaking my brain trying to think of a way where fighting doesn't continue into infinity.

• Locked thread