Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Jusupov posted:

I just wish mtx didn't lower my fps so I could be a pretty pirate and use everything else too.

Well not like fps is stable anyway

discharge mtx increases fps and is basically p2w unless the engine improves

also the ice trap mtx does too, but then you get the horrible new sound...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The only time i have issues with cosmetic mtx stuff is when it's something like ffxiv/wow where they already charge you a sub fee and the price of the game/expansion in the first place. And GGG have a good bunch of cosmetic stuff as challenge rewards too, some of which has been really drat nice.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really hope on 3.0 and when they add the 5th act they take a long hard look at act 1 and how to get people hooked on the game, I've tried to get a friend into it but he is terribly bored of the easiness and underwhelmed and quit in act 1 twice.

Making new characters has turned into such a slog and I'd very much like to see some of the faster paced action and swarms of things from end-game get shifted down to happen earlier.
i've been suspecting they are going to be doing a radical re-do of the entire game honestly. I'm half expecting them to go directly to single difficulty with act 5, and just completely restructure the game.
based on their language around implementing act 5 and what they're gonna do with the different difficulties.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I primarily hope that they streamline act 4 when they add act 5. I'm sure they will.

Kaom's area doesn't need to be 3 zones long, Daresso's area doesn't need 50 loving gauntlets, Belly can be one level, etc.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I've never quite understood why people dislike act 4 so much. I personally find it much much better than act 3.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 19, 2016

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I really hope on 3.0 and when they add the 5th act they take a long hard look at act 1 and how to get people hooked on the game, I've tried to get a friend into it but he is terribly bored of the easiness and underwhelmed and quit in act 1 twice.

Making new characters has turned into such a slog and I'd very much like to see some of the faster paced action and swarms of things from end-game get shifted down to happen earlier.

I'm surprised GGG hasn't focused on the new player experience more. Last year sometime they paid a little bit of attention to it by making linked items more common and introducing support gems earlier, but they really should go farther than that. One of the most common criticisms of the game is "the combat is slow and boring," they should increase the speed of things earlier. Faster attacks & faster casting should be thrown in your face in act1.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

TheRat posted:

I've never quite understood why people dislike act 4 so much. I personally find it much much better than act 3.

For me the biggest issue is outside of the two Daresso zones (my favorite in the game) the entire act is visually exhausting. It's dark and it's red and a maze and it sucks. That's to say nothing of the huge leap in difficulty.

My biggest hope for act 5 is that the new maps are a hint of what's to come. If it's all ramparts and no Kaom's path it'll be a big success in my mind.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
I really think Act 5 is going to take us to wherever the Beyond invaders come from.

I mean, think about it. Act 4 ends with us killing the embodiment of the Beast, which is supposed to be the source of the power in skill gems and passive trees and blah blah. I don't totally know the lore up and down, but I think I have the general gist of it and it seems like we've reached a natural breakpoint for our time on Wraeclast. Not permanently, mind you, but it would be a good change of scenery. Sorta like going to Hell in Diablo 2 or Heaven in Diablo 3.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

TheRat posted:

Kaom's is the worst offender I think, 3 zones that look exactly the same is a slog.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

zxqv8 posted:

I really think Act 5 is going to take us to wherever the Beyond invaders come from.

I mean, think about it. Act 4 ends with us killing the embodiment of the Beast, which is supposed to be the source of the power in skill gems and passive trees and blah blah. I don't totally know the lore up and down, but I think I have the general gist of it and it seems like we've reached a natural breakpoint for our time on Wraeclast. Not permanently, mind you, but it would be a good change of scenery. Sorta like going to Hell in Diablo 2 or Heaven in Diablo 3.

i think other common theories are back to the mainland, can't remember the name of it.

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012

ShutteredIn posted:

Kaom's is the worst offender I think, 3 zones that look exactly the same is a slog.

scepter of god, and upper scepter of god is like 6 zones of the same.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It'll be Oriath I'm betting.

Nezkar posted:

scepter of god, and upper scepter of god is like 6 zones of the same.

Sceptre of God isn't bad since you can rush it just like the Vaal Pyramid. You can't rush the fact that there are three Kaom zones.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Tabletops posted:

i think other common theories are back to the mainland, can't remember the name of it.

That's a good one. It's probably just as likely to be right. Maybe even more likely given they could reuse a lot of assets for it.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Giant map image here: http://imgur.com/OUMw8cq

My guess is we go out east from Highgate (since the exit is in the game now, but blocked) through the Vastiri Plains and eventually end up in Maraketh.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Ya know, seeing that map makes that guess seem incredibly more likely than Beyond or Oriath.

Of course, they could throw a curveball and send us southeast toward the coast and have us visit Theopolis for real.

e; I like to speculate about video games

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

TheRat posted:

Agreed as gently caress, though cutting a zone off of Kaom's dream would be welcome

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i loving hate the kaom zones

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I hate both A3 and Kaom. But the level of evil demonstrated by the A4 zones in general is extremely my poo poo.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Devourers, but with a tail that also shoots you, isn't a fun enemy to run across.

Anyone already figure out the best cluster of maps on the atlas to spam sextants? shaped crypt seems to have a huge amount of maps close to eachother.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Devourers, but with a tail that also shoots you, isn't a fun enemy to run across.

Anyone already figure out the best cluster of maps on the atlas to spam sextants? shaped crypt seems to have a huge amount of maps close to eachother.

Putrid cloister

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
All good names being taken makes people desperate I guess:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

They purged inactivate usernames at some point which meant I could finally get Firos ingame :toot: (original name do not steal)

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Eezee posted:

All good names being taken makes people desperate I guess:

Classy.

Whenever I next make a new character, he's going to be BadHombre.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Man, I tried Uber Atziri for the first time and Vessels of the Vaal pissed me off.

I killed the first fine and got the second to 30%, then hosed up and died. Re-entered and immediately got ganked before I could even use a skill. Re-entered and again almost immediately got hosed, I did get time to move but because it was right next to the door and used the ball-lightning skill I didn't really have a chance to get away the second time either. Both felt totally loving stupid, especially since I killed the second boss no problem and got Atziri herself down to 25% before losing all my portals. If I'd had those two extra ones I'd totally have had the kill with two extra full sets of flasks to work with. Oh well.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Vaals enrage when you kill one of them. If you dont have stupid dps, kill them at the same time.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah I know, but I was having problem with that because as ED I kept getting a situation where I hit one of them, then got forced to start dodging a lot because laser/lightning orbs and unable to damage the other while ED+Decay happily tick away at the one I hit. If I had more patience and experience with it I could have spent more time looking more closely at their health-bars before casting at the cost of some openings, but it got pretty frantic and I was often shooting at them when they were out of sight so I couldn't tell which I was hitting. I was hoping to get both to <20% before the first died but it died with the other at ~40% instead.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

So my computer poo poo the bed last Monday and the RAM I ordered for a new rig was DOA, probably won't be up and running until next week. Please don't kick me for being inactive :( -AuraBotFourK

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Pretty sure Blazer's only kicking people who have been inactive for more than a month.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

And even if he does, just ask for a re-invite.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Tawain Anderson does not gently caress around when it comes to making build guides. I think what impresses me most, is the breakdown of each skill gem. It must have taken countless hours of testing and/or badgering GGG to release such precise statistics.

Do you think he's reflect viable? Let's take a look at his geeeeaaaaarrrr... They really need a separate forum for legacy/standard builds where these people can be free to measure up head to head, dick to dick, with their fellow standard theorycrafters.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
I'd really like to do the Shaper before I stop playing this league, and my Lacerate Soul Taker Gladiator seems to not quite have enough damage. I figure beating him on my BV guy should be the best option.

So, for the pro BV PF people, what can I improve on this?

This is my character, the one named Vortaedx is the BF PF.

My main question is that I'm running a +1 curse neck right now so that I can have Enfeeble on my CWDT. It'd be simple to replace that with a Crit/Crit Multi/ES neck and get some extra damage and ES at the expense of losing that curse. Not sure how much Enfeeble helps on Shaper, since I know bosses have reduced curse effectiveness. Also note that I'm locked into gem colors due to a corrupted chest, so I'm using Added Fire which seems pretty strong, and I'm missing Controlled Destruction. I'm using Phys to Lightning for the extra leech and it's a good damage gem as well.

Also, any other gear or tree weaknesses you see? I feel a bit squishy even with 12k ES, unless I have Vinktar up in which case I have invincible-levels of leech. I've got about 6 ex and 300 or so chaos so I can spend a bit of currency if there's anything that could get me a real improvement.

EDIT: 21/20 BV and a level 21 Discipline are obvious places, I guess.

Rashomon fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 22, 2016

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Needs taste of hate

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Yeah, Taste is pretty strong, I should probably buy one...5 ex this league feels like overpaying but w/e.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

sometimes dreams do come true (chanced)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So jealous

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
How many chance orbs get thrown at sorcerer boots every league I wonder.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How many chance orbs get thrown at sorcerer boots every league I wonder.

"a lot"

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Next to my Detonate character, I'm playing a Doomfletch Prism character on EHC.
There's a few things great about it (movement speed, trash clearing speed), but it seems to lack:
-Life (lvl 89, 5.100 life)
-Single Target (Blast Rain on a 5l)
-Evasion based

I currently have about 350 pure chaos to spend, looking for a way to either improve or rework the bower.
Here's some options I had in mind:

1. Get a Kaom's Heart
I'd need to rework the tree, come out with higher life, but it will need a lot of gearing changes to keep resistances capped. This is not always easy due to flat physical being required for damage scaling.

2. Replace QotF with a Coil
More damage reduction, but requires gear changes. I'm not known with how strong Coil is defensively.

3. Buy stuff
Spend some currency for once and get strong Steel Rings, a proper amulet, belt, etc. and see where it gets me.
Downside; I'm still a ~5k life evasion bower on HC.
Optional; combine this with the Coil. Might run into currency problems.

4. Get a Reach of the Council
Instead of changing my current Raider, I'd pick a lvl 50 Ranger (no Ascendancy yet) and work her into a Reach build.
Plus side is that I can keep the QotF probably, as I'm now addicted to the movement speed.

Anyone have an opinion what my best bet would be to bring a bow character into red maps?

My profile:
http://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Bobsbestfriend
Character:
SassySingleMom

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Acht posted:

Anyone have an opinion what my best bet would be to bring a bow character into red maps?

on EHC? re-spec into CI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Going to try the Coil option.
Looks like all the Shadow builds call themselves tanky, because they can take less crit nodes and travel to the Scion life wheel. Otherwise they are identical builds.
I'll need to buy two or three new items (anyway) that I will focus lightning resistance on and I should be ok.

Still unsure about single target. It's not bad, but I feel there should be better options than Blast Rain on a Prism.

edit: Well, 6c and a new belt later and I've gained Coil's effect, 100 life and ~7% dps unbuffed. Let's see if it's noticable.

Acht fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 24, 2016

• Locked thread