Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Glenn Quebec posted:

What about using the black blade or some other katana? Is that viable? Because a katana and a claw sounds like a cool as gently caress combo.

Name your character wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Uhh his name is Oruku Saki.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

nothing was worth the blizzard area

Literally the only area of any Dark Souls game that I never finished.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You can just sprint forward for two minutes and avoid nearly everything, but it's an insanely boring two minutes.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
even sprinting through the blizzard theres always the small risk everything will follow you to the door and murder you as you try to enter the fog door. basically b team managed to make the most hellish place in the series and i love it.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I did the thing where you go to the edge of the area and stop every time it picks up and summons a horse. Made it much more bearable than going through the middle, as it reduced the angles from which horses could be charging by 180. Also didn't have to fight anything else.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

queeb posted:

Does the leaping slash work when its offhand? or would you main hand it and just switch between the two. I was thinking offhand hollow for the +5 luck.

If you hold Y (two-handing), you switch to two-handing your left-hand weapon. I would use the carthus curved creatsword as the right weapon, and the claws as the offhand weapon for the Luck boost and parries. Then if you meet someone playing too aggressive for your slower curved greatsword, you can switch to the claws by holding Y. The claws are also great against defensive greatshield users since you can pretty much stunlock them with the L1 combo if they're blocking, whereas the curved greatsword would probably be pretty bad against defensive players.

Also, if you're using the curved carthus greatsword, you'll probably want to use the running attack as your main offensive attack. The normal (two-handed) R1 is good for poise tanking, but it's slow.

edit: In any case I think the combination is great, the two weapons are fun and very different in terms of playstyle and still very good even if they aren't quite "top-tier" meta.

Jordbo fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 19, 2016

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Carl Seitan posted:

Literally the only area of any Dark Souls game that I never finished.
I actually enjoyed it as a novel concept and loved it, it had been a long long time since an area felt actually intensely hostile instead of just the usual trivially memorized gauntlet string of designed encounters. I fully explored it and even made some notes for orientation.

Then i realized it was a boss-run up. One of the longest and most obnoxious ones in the entire franchise. To a copy pasted "now try 2!" repeat boss. :downsgun:

I never went back and to date that is still the only souls boss i never defeated but i think i got pretty much all of out that area anyway.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Oct 19, 2016

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

My thoughts exactly, first time through was fantastic. They'd never before used weather in that way, and I loved the idea of scrambling your way through the open wasteland while being assaulted by the mysterious reindeer

and then you reach the boss, what an anticlimax

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Iretep posted:

nothing beats carthus curved sword simply because of its ability to catch dodges. warden twin blades have a shorter reach and not very good at catching people so its mainly better for pve.

If you spam your dual L1 attack, one of the blades can catch people in dodges really easy.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love the Drang Hammer weapon art. Spin forever and you'll probably catch the other guy in it. Then keep them in it. Then never stop. :haw:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone have the Black Knight set, namely, the armor and shield?

I already have the Black Knight Sword, but I want to complete the set.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Dark Souls 2 question. Is the DLC supposed to be so, uhhh, poo poo? It's not the difficulty so much as how tedious every section is. Please From stop spamming enemies loving everywhere and ambushes every 2 feet. I haven't played DS3 yet so hopefully it's not like this.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Crazygamer posted:

I'm doing it at NG+5 with a level 220 character so you'll be saner than me either way.

I'll be doing the dlc at NG+5 SL200 so I'm right there with you.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Red Mundus posted:

Dark Souls 2 question. Is the DLC supposed to be so, uhhh, poo poo? It's not the difficulty so much as how tedious every section is. Please From stop spamming enemies loving everywhere and ambushes every 2 feet. I haven't played DS3 yet so hopefully it's not like this.

Weird. Almost everyone loves (most of) the DLC. Widely considered to be the best part of the game.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
I'm doing the iron king dlc or whatever and everything is such a slog to go through. It offends me when I turn a corner and clearly see an ambush like the devs expected people to just run in and get hosed. So I just fire off an arrow and kite enemies over and over and over.

Like I really enjoyed it up until they decided that everything needs to try and to pincer attack you and it's so unsubtle it's like they barely try. Ambushes don't really work when it's really obviously an ambush.

Also enemies seem really health-spongey. I'm playing a dex scythe dodge build and after beating the game the dlc enemies seemed to have absurd amounts of health something I never experienced in the main game. My parries do poo poo damage.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe try actually playing the game then?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Maybe try actually playing the game then?

I don't get it? I am, I just feel like the DLC is really boring and a slog to go through. I know it was well received so I'm legitimately asking if I'm missing something. Might just hop over to DS3 and start that instead.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

I don't get it? I am, I just feel like the DLC is really boring and a slog to go through. I know it was well received so I'm legitimately asking if I'm missing something. Might just hop over to DS3 and start that instead.

Well it probably doesn't help that you're using a scythe with are garbage weapons in general, and doubly so for PVE since their main benefit of shield piercing doesn't come into play much there.

You also never have to just snipe enemies to death or run into group fights. Most rooms with a ton of enemies have ways that you can take them out without aggroing the lot, either with explosive barrels or approaching from a different direction. Worst case you can just approach slowly and aggro them one by one. There are situations where you may have to fight 4 or 5 enemies at once but that's called challenge friendo.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Red Mundus posted:

Are you a magic user? Because if you are then yeah I could see how it could be pretty brutal, tons of stuff in there has high elemental resistance so big physical damage is usually best. Also the dlc is all end game stuff so if you haven't at least got to the ancient dragon you might want to wait a bit before jumping in there.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Iron King has the best boss fight in the game but it also has That loving Room so idk it's a toss up

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Also it's a bit strange to complain about an ambush that you saw coming being unfair to players who don't pay attention to their surroundings

Like uh, that is precisely the point

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Sorry I worded that wrong it's not unfair just feels like they didn't put any thought into it because of how easy it is to spot ambushes. If anything I feel like they need to be more creative and subtle with ambushes because half of them are really obvious to spot and anticipate and it gets tedious when they keep doing it over and over.

It doesn't really matter though, because I went to that icy, snowy area dlc and am really enjoying it now. I wish we could use the ice weapons/armor for ourselves.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't really see how the ambushes in the ds2 dlc are any easier to spot than any of the ones in the rest of the series tbh, that complaint doesn't make much sense to me

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think the point is that they really overdid it. When every room has enemies trying to ambush you, it no longer becomes an ambush. You just walk into every room expecting some hollow to dive at you from the shady corner, so it's not scary or difficult, it's just annoying.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I think the point is that they really overdid it. When every room has enemies trying to ambush you, it no longer becomes an ambush. You just walk into every room expecting some hollow to dive at you from the shady corner, so it's not scary or difficult, it's just annoying.

Yeah, this. I loving love getting ambushed because it really made you make snap decisions and take risks you may not always take.

When literally every corner has someone behind it you learn pretty fast to expect someone and you just end up going through the motions. The worst was when I was opening a door and noticed an enemy's weapon clipping through a nearby wall corner.

Also quick question. What's the trick to dodging enemies in the DLC? I can dodge drat near everything in the main game and yet the enemies in the DLC seem to track you so well it throws me off. Nice thing is that they are all so fun to parry.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Yeah, this. I loving love getting ambushed because it really made you make snap decisions and take risks you may not always take.

When literally every corner has someone behind it you learn pretty fast to expect someone and you just end up going through the motions. The worst was when I was opening a door and noticed an enemy's weapon clipping through a nearby wall corner.

Also quick question. What's the trick to dodging enemies in the DLC? I can dodge drat near everything in the main game and yet the enemies in the DLC seem to track you so well it throws me off. Nice thing is that they are all so fun to parry.

If they're tracking you then you dodged too early or in the wrong direction. Dodge later than you have been and dodge into the swings if you haven't already been doing so.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
ALL Dark Souls 2 DLC have huge poise values and are mostly vulnerable to melee. Get a big heavy strength weapon and breeze through them.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Or just equip the Stone Ring.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I didn't find the difficulty of the DS2 DLC particularly onerous. You certainly never have to actually pick enemies off one at a time. If you're having trouble fighting 2-3 at once, you're doing something wrong, sorry to say.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
You can easymode the dlc's using a greatshield and a +10 mace

edit: thou not the bosses

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
To be fair, I also think the start of Brume Tower is kind of bad. It's indeed just a lot of the Ashen Warriors, maybe meant as a check for you to ask yourself "can I really handle those dudes? Okay, two at once? Hm, maybe come back later". I have just started playing Bloodborne and stumbled into a new area, got accosted by some crazy fucker with a whip thing and a shotgun and got my rear end handed to me like ten times, finally beat him, then around the corner there's another one. I found an Old Hunter's hat and was like oh yeah wait the DLC is called the Old Hunters...*googles* hm yes indeed I'll come back way later thanks.

Though you should be able to handle them, it's just a very harsh "this is the difficulty we're expecting you to deal with" reminder, I think. Not particularly inspired, but hey, 90% of the base game's enemy placement is ALSO "ambush lol", with SotFS removing some to give more emphasis on thematic placement instead. Still, I think a part of you saying that the ambushes are all really obvious is having been trained by the base game to always expect one because it's pretty much always true. Not that the same isn't true for any other Souls game, it's just MORE true for DS2.

Gotta appreciate though that there are some ambushes you cannot see coming, like the Ashen Warriors clawing up through the ground or what the newest Idol will do to help the enemies out. Mostly, though, it's about seeing and studying the enemies lying in wait and figuring out how to best carve a path through them - sniping is valid, but there are most of the time better ways. Just not right at the start of the DLC, so do try to persist.

As for ice weapons: you can absolutely get some (Rapier and Lance) as well as a loving awesome looking heavy ice armor, just not the one the regular dudes use. You'll see it once you stumble upon the thing that also drops the lance (though it's somewhat early so you might already have seen it).

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

simon, you might actually want to make a run through the bloodborne dlc since there are some really cool weapons just lying on the ground in the first area. you can run past stuff and pick up things on the ground until you get a bunch of neat weapons to play with

I can def understand wanting to go through the area for real the first time tho

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I don't care for sorcery but I'm doing q MLGS build so I have 60 INT, might as well use some spells. Should I just do big soul arrow or what?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I don't care for sorcery but I'm doing q MLGS build so I have 60 INT, might as well use some spells. Should I just do big soul arrow or what?

Great and great heavy soul arrow are the most FP-efficient damage spells. (Crystal) soulspear is a bit better and costs a lot more, but it does pierce enemies so can be a better choice in some circumstances (clearing That Room in Irithyll dungeon for example). Soul greatsword is good for crowd control, Farron flashsword is like a weaker spammable version of it. Also consider using some pyromancies, the basic fireball line is quite strong and great chaos fire orb is usually better than sorceries for damage per cost.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Do the dragon rings, like bellowing dragoncrest, increase magic damage from MLGS?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

No, it's a boost to spell type, not magic attack.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Lloyd's Sword Ring boosts all damage so you can add that to a sorcery build or replace young dragon ring for it depending if you have a ring slot to spare

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Manatee Cannon posted:

simon, you might actually want to make a run through the bloodborne dlc since there are some really cool weapons just lying on the ground in the first area. you can run past stuff and pick up things on the ground until you get a bunch of neat weapons to play with

I can def understand wanting to go through the area for real the first time tho
I was planning on doing that for a second playthrough! I have heard that there's awesome poo poo to be had, but now that I now how early you can get to the area, I know what I'll do first thing next time. For now, my trusty Hunter Axe is good enough. Actually it's really loving good. It even has an interesting and useful L2 which doesn't cost an extra resource. Hmmm

Granted it's just a swing but that's really good for a weapon of its size so I'm not complaining? It even comboes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Willfrey posted:

You can easymode the dlc's using a greatshield and a +10 mace

edit: thou not the bosses

To be fair, you can easymode significant chunks of Dark Souls II with a mace, pretty much every armored enemy was incredibly susceptible to it and only a handful (covetous demon) were overly strong verses it.

I think I'm to the point in DS 3 where I'm thinking about bringing back CAVEMAN RUN gimmick where he cannot use metal, heavily processed cloth, or complex machinery. Just a large mucley dude with a loincloth, stone shield and greatclub. I'll probably be weak and cave on the rings, but aside from that it's club vs world.

Edit: Or I could do Clan Belmont run using whips since you can get them fairly early. Just limit him to a dagger until that point or something.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Oct 20, 2016