Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The game models anything that isn't boats or planes extremely poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

i81icu812 posted:

isnt all of china out of supply due to the siege in Chongqing or wherever the capital is?

divisions (re)spawn there, not all of the supplies

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Clunk!

The Battle of Milne Bay continues!

We find three heavy cruisers – We sink one and a destroyer before they are able to escape.

That's a four funnel passenger liner! We don't get many hits on her, but hopefully they flyboys can finish her off!

Its a turkey shoot in there.

We now move on to the damaged ships from yesterday.

Gunner report that their guns are overheating from the constant firing.

For the Allies, this is a naval disaster on Greyhunterian scales!

Annoyingly, the carriers have moved to far north to inflict more damage, they shall have to sweep down tomorrow.

They also got a fresh Auzzi division ashore before we could finish them.

We are losing ground here now.

Support is now less than ten miles away!

As good as today was, I feel annoyed that the carriers moved further north than planned, and were not able to follow up on the good work done by the battleships!

That said, seven more ship kills and a hundred more points of ground losses are nothing to be sniffed at! The battleships have emptied their main gun ammo supplies, but I've put together a fast force of Armoured Cruisers to have another go, and of course the carriers have been ordered south again.

Lets see if we can have a day three!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Goddamn, that was a fine day indeed. Congratulations!

How many kills did muh Mutsu get?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Where are the American carriers? The world wonders.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

19 October 1942

Remember when I-19 fired the world's greatest torpedo salvo, sinking Wasp and hitting several other ships? One of them, the destroyer O'Brien, founders on this day a month later during the trip back to Pearl Harbor.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
My phone's battery just blew up inputting all that data into the spreadsheet.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Wow, congratulations! You have four cruisers to potentially maul and a bunch of ships to shoot. All you need now is to manage to catch thier carrier task forces under the guns of the Yamato and all will be complete!

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I want this to be a Twilight Zone episode where Grey is playing against himself from five years ago.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

wedgekree posted:

Wow, congratulations! You have four cruisers to potentially maul and a bunch of ships to shoot. All you need now is to manage to catch thier carrier task forces under the guns of the Yamato and all will be complete!

I'm only seeing 2 cruisers to shoot. Vincennes was apparently sunk today, which is only leaving Chicago and New Orleans currently seen in the bay. Chicago was also seen singly yesterday, if that's what you're thinking of.

But yeah, this was a great haul, and with any luck it will continue.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

pthighs posted:

I want this to be a Twilight Zone episode where Grey is playing against himself from five years ago.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Carriers should be worth more points than they are, but if he finishes the Aquitania and some more ships and men then Grey has basically taken out one...

Where is US naval aviation?
The world wonders.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

RA Rx posted:

Where is US naval aviation?
The world wonders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3bN5YeiQs

Both my lucky ship and I are constantly watching, and waiting...

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

Where are the American carriers? The world wonders.

So does Grey.

Seriously, I've not seen one in a couple of months, and I hope this massacre draws them out!

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Maybe the AI put Halsey in charge?

pthighs posted:

this times infinity

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I'm sure this question's been answered already, but is it possible in this game to win the war as the Japanese versus the AI or a competent Allied player? Like for example forcing the Allies into surrender? Or is it simply a matter of "how hard will you lose" once the game has started?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you conquer enough of the pacific quick enough you can.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
Grey using his battleships effectively? What is this sorcery.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Mikl posted:

I'm sure this question's been answered already, but is it possible in this game to win the war as the Japanese versus the AI or a competent Allied player? Like for example forcing the Allies into surrender? Or is it simply a matter of "how hard will you lose" once the game has started?

You auto-win in certain years if you get above a certain ratio of VP's, so it's definitely possible and people do it against the AI.

Against a human, I don't think I've seen one actually happen, usually the Allies quit well before that point. It's very, very hard to run up the score that much against the Allies and also hold out long enough to hit the year marks for the ratio (I think in '42 it's 4:1, '43 it's 3:1, '44 it's 2:1) before starting to get over-run by masses of ships. And then the subs start carrying actual torpedoes, and your ability to ship supplies starts to run out and you start running out of supplies in general.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Day three begins, and we hit a cruiser.

Then take out a couple of troop ships – one of which should be sunk on name alone!

Afternoon brings another cruiser hit.

Then we savage two tankers and an oiler – none of these fireballs is making it home I think.

Clunk!

We are forced out of Imphal with heavy losses – because not everything can go my way. Time to flee these units to Akyab as well. See you in a year guys!

Another good day – although the Kiddo Butai are out of torpedoes and relying on bombs – the Kido Butai is on its way, it was just a long way out. No confirmed kills, but lots of ships that have been savaged.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

If oilers are nearby then carriers probably are too. How far away are the regular Kido Butai?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Or AI is using them to supply this cruiser force. I think we'd see Allied CAP had carriers were present.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

pthighs posted:

alex314 posted:

Or AI is using them to supply this cruiser force. I think we'd see Allied CAP had carriers were present.

What if they forgot to set a CAP

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

It should be noted that "Negros" is an island in the Phillipines.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Grey Hunter posted:

Lets send out the Kiddo Butai to find out. I sent the Kido Butai out on a raid a couple of days ago. But the Kiddo should be enough.

This is from a couple of days ago, but what does the # next to the Hiyo's name mean?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Nth Doctor posted:

This is from a couple of days ago, but what does the # next to the Hiyo's name mean?

Hiyo is the flagship of that task group, which practically means Hiyos' commander is the one who's traits get applied to the group (I think).

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
If I remember correctly the American carriers get a refit in October so the chance of us actually seeing them is pretty low I would think. Maybe they are at Noumea when the South Pacific command was historically located.

Also the AI does dumb poo poo like this all the time. Each time I play as the allies they send multiple cruiser forces on suicide missions to pearl harbor.

Slippery42
Nov 10, 2011
If the US carriers are refitting, they've gotta be in a repair shipyard. In the South Pacific, the only ones available are Brisbane and Sydney, only the latter of which can handle a Yorktown class ship, if memory serves. My bet would be that they're at Pearl or Columbo.

If Lexington class carriers have slightly different refit timing, it'd be awesome if you end up drawing just the two of them out :getin:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Ron Jeremy posted:

It should be noted that "Negros" is an island in the Phillipines.

And in fact, the ship was owned (before it was seized by the US navy) by the Negros Navigation Company, set up by some sugar planters from Negros to provide passenger service between Negros and Iloilo.

It was used as a troop transport until Manilla was blockaded by the Japanese, then it be e basically the Presidential Yacht, carrying Present Quezon back and forth as he tried to rally support. The Japanese found it and seized it, and nobody knows what happened to it after that. Quezon got to the US and set up a government in exile.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

And the name lives on!

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/photo.php?lid=2188850

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I assume this was the "big thing" you alluded to a week and a half or so ago.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

I assume this was the "big thing" you alluded to a week and a half or so ago.

I never said a big thing, I just said a surprise - that was me actually using my battleships.

You guys just made more of it in your heads ;)

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

You guys just made more of it in your heads ;)
Enemy CVs confirmed sunk!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Katznmaus posted:

Enemy CVs confirmed sunk!

Big E sunk!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I think you're just trying to throw us off the scent of you landing in San Francisco 2 weeks from now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Day four, the subs get in on the action.

Our cruisers hunt a little to far south – this must have been a react move.

We survive attacks from about 50 Marauders in 6 plane attack wings, then take a hit from a Banshee.

No! Sink ships not waste planes on ground targets.

We continue to hold out at Akyab.

Things are dying down as the allies retreat into the range of the Australian bombers.

A nice number of claims today though! I'm not sure I believe most of them, but its nice to think things are moving down to the bottom of the ocean.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
October 17, 1942

Fierce fights occur between Japanese and Australian troops on the Kokoda trail.

Convoys begin to assemble at Firth of Clyde in preparation for Operation Torch

October 18, 1942

Fighting begins anew in Stalingrad, with the Germans making gains in several areas.

Vice-Admiral Halsey replaces Vice-Admiral Ghormley as commander of the southern Pacific sector.

Fighting on the Kokoda continues.

October 19, 1942

The British capture more territory in Madagascar.

Japanese troops at Guadalcanal postpone an attack that was supposed to happen yesterday to the 22nd.

October 20, 1942

The 147th infantry regiment is sent to Guadalcanal at the request of General Vandegrift.

An air offensive begins in North Africa, targeting Luftwaffe assets in an attempt to gain air superiority.

October 21, 1942

Fighting at Stalingrad does not stop, despite heavy rain through the day.

Japanese troops are unsuccessful at breaking through the US defensive line on the Matanikau river.

October 22, 1942

The first winter snowfall occurs outside of Stalingrad.

The Japanese offensive at Lunga is delayed, again. This time for 24 hours.

Australia sends a battalion to Goodenough Island in order to protect the southern part of Milne Bay. 300 Japanese troops guard the island.

British units of the 8th Army secretly move into their positions for the upcoming offensive, during the night.

US Military officers and staff arrive in Algeria at night via submarine to talk with French General Charles Mast. Mast guarantees that all French units under the command of General Henri Giraud will support Allied actions. The first convoy for Operation Torch sets sail.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

One of our subs gets rattled near Suva.

Now this is confusing, I guess one of my airfields just completed!

Hmm, remember when I thought my planes were bugged and not flying missions – I wonder if that happened again!

Yeah, something is going on here.

Its throw away planes day! At least we hit a ship with this one!

God drat it!

Okay, I know I said I've leave these guys alone, but they were in the direction I was heading. Seven destroyed units is good though!

69 bloody plane losses! Sometime I hate this game for its small random bits!

Thank god I have a hundred or so Lillies in my replacement pool!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm guessing a bunch of air bases were set to fly missions, but were prevented by lack of something: fuel, pilots, supplies, hq, leaders, morale? And they all just got whatever they were missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Ow, that's a lot of dead planes.. How goes your research, production, and pilot training pools?