Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Avasculous posted:

I just started playing again, but aren't there 2 military victories? One that's control X proportion of territories and one that's conquer all capitols?

We both control 50% of the map so controlling territories would be a slog and I'm not sure how you distinguish someone's capital to be able to take it over first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

BitterAvatar posted:

We both control 50% of the map so controlling territories would be a slog and I'm not sure how you distinguish someone's capital to be able to take it over first.

It has a crown by the name.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The Capitol has a little crown icon next to its name on the world map.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Avasculous posted:

The Capitol has a little crown icon next to its name on the world map.

Excellent. Time to drop a couple 8-stack armies and 3 guardians on him.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The giant rock monster guardian is my favorite. That guy one-shots entire armies.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
For cultists, do you have any reason to research extractors for resources that aren't in your city's region? Like, do you need to know the research for harvesting spice in order to receive any from your converted villages? I couldn't find any explanation in the game.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cephas posted:

For cultists, do you have any reason to research extractors for resources that aren't in your city's region? Like, do you need to know the research for harvesting spice in order to receive any from your converted villages? I couldn't find any explanation in the game.

Yes, though not having to build the extractors themselves gets really nice with the Tier 3 ones, which are actually pretty expensive.

Weirdly, nobody needs the techs for Sea Fortress resources.

Technologies that are literally useless for a race (e.g. +science techs for Forgotten or +food techs for BL) do not appear on the tech tree.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I'm interested in getting Endless Legend MP happening again and want to get an idea of who's interested and what times are reasonable.

If you haven't played it before, it really is way, way better than the SP and no one will bully you if you don't know what you're doing.

So interest check on Sunday @ 3 PM ET?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Avasculous posted:

I'm interested in getting Endless Legend MP happening again and want to get an idea of who's interested and what times are reasonable.

If you haven't played it before, it really is way, way better than the SP and no one will bully you if you don't know what you're doing.

I might be down. There's a possible stellaris game this weekend due to the new dlc that's out tomorrow, but if it's on a different day I'd be more than happy to get some EL in.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
so a buddy wanted to play this and I hopped in to join him. It's hillarious playing drakken and getting like 500 influence and 10k dust a turn but I have a loooot of questions. I think the most important one to ask though is what is the deal with the diplomacy victory? It's not influence I know that, because getting 4500 influence is cake. It's something to do with the actual agreements and interactions with other people I'm aware but, what does that include? if I force alliance people does that mean I spend more influence and therefore win quicker or what.

IAmUnaware
Jan 31, 2012

Forer posted:

so a buddy wanted to play this and I hopped in to join him. It's hillarious playing drakken and getting like 500 influence and 10k dust a turn but I have a loooot of questions. I think the most important one to ask though is what is the deal with the diplomacy victory? It's not influence I know that, because getting 4500 influence is cake. It's something to do with the actual agreements and interactions with other people I'm aware but, what does that include? if I force alliance people does that mean I spend more influence and therefore win quicker or what.

A diplomatic victory is won by reaching a certain threshold of Diplomatic Points. When you check the Diplomacy tab on the scoreboard, it shows you everybody's current Diplomatic Point score. You get Diplomatic Points from two sources:
1) Your relations with other empires. At the beginning of every turn, you gain Diplomatic Points for your current standing with other players: 1 point for each player you're at Cold War with, 2 points for each player you're at Peace with, and 4 points for each player you're in an Alliance with. You don't get any points for players you're at actual War with, and you don't get any points for players you haven't yet met.
2) Treaties. Any time you make a contract deal with another player (the kind where they get the option to accept or refuse) you get 1 Diplomatic Point for every 5 Influence that it cost you to propose the deal if they accept. You don't get any points for unilateral declarations such as lowering your diplomatic status or using the Drakken Force Peace ability; it has to be an offer that they choose to accept.

IAmUnaware fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 20, 2016

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

BadOptics posted:

I might be down. There's a possible stellaris game this weekend due to the new dlc that's out tomorrow, but if it's on a different day I'd be more than happy to get some EL in.

Sunday at 3pm would be 3am monday for me, but I'd be down for anything that fits into the Taipei time zone.

Sooo like Sunday morning (Sunday night for me) or Saturday around noon (saturday around midnight)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Are the mogawr kind of op? By turn 50 I was getting 80 influence a turn from just my citadels (had an influence thing on one of them). I didn't have to focus on influence at all ever and could pretty mucheap max out my empire plan every time.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

If you're making regular use of cat's paw and dissent it can get quite expensive. I think it's costing me something like 200 inf for a roaming army around turn 100 now. I also don't remember how much black mark costs.

Does attacking a fortress in an ai controlled ocean require being at war? I want to say it doesn't but I don't remember.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Avasculous posted:

That'd be 6am Monday here in AU. I'm totally down, always wanted to try mp.

FoiledShenanigans
Apr 6, 2012

Avasculous posted:

I could be down too, though I'm probably thoroughly unoptimal.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

IAmUnaware posted:

A diplomatic victory is won by reaching a certain threshold of Diplomatic Points. When you check the Diplomacy tab on the scoreboard, it shows you everybody's current Diplomatic Point score. You get Diplomatic Points from two sources:
1) Your relations with other empires. At the beginning of every turn, you gain Diplomatic Points for your current standing with other players: 1 point for each player you're at Cold War with, 2 points for each player you're at Peace with, and 4 points for each player you're in an Alliance with. You don't get any points for players you're at actual War with, and you don't get any points for players you haven't yet met.
2) Treaties. Any time you make a contract deal with another player (the kind where they get the option to accept or refuse) you get 1 Diplomatic Point for every 5 Influence that it cost you to propose the deal if they accept. You don't get any points for unilateral declarations such as lowering your diplomatic status or using the Drakken Force Peace ability; it has to be an offer that they choose to accept.

So wait, doesn't that mean the optimal way to get diplomatic points is every turn call someone an rear end in a top hat, their country is crap, they are crap and awful!

Also you should ally with me because yeah!

Maximize the spending of alliance with insults I mean.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Avasculous posted:

I'm in, though how are the desync issues on late game now, ain't played MP for a few expansions/DLCs.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Are the mogawr kind of op? By turn 50 I was getting 80 influence a turn from just my citadels (had an influence thing on one of them). I didn't have to focus on influence at all ever and could pretty mucheap max out my empire plan every time.

I suspect that part of the reason that they seem OP in SP is because the AI probably doesn't distinguish between naval/army power when it's deciding if you're vulnerable to attack. In the current game I'm playing, I think either the adjacent Drakken or Wild Walkers could have wiped me off the map in a 5-turn war if they realized that Leviathans can't defend cities.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm in, though how are the desync issues on late game now, ain't played MP for a few expansions/DLCs.

Good question. I've only played Shifters/Tempest for a few hours and I've gotten at least two program locks, so we'll have to see.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Sunday at 3pm would be 3am monday for me, but I'd be down for anything that fits into the Taipei time zone.

Sooo like Sunday morning (Sunday night for me) or Saturday around noon (saturday around midnight)

Chadzok posted:

That'd be 6am Monday here in AU. I'm totally down, always wanted to try mp.

Oh, my bad.

How about a roll call on:

Saturday at Noon, ET (NEVERMIND)
1. Avasculous
2. Drunk Spanish Matlock
3. BadOptics
4. Chocolate Chunk

Sunday 9 AM, ET.
1. Avasculous
2. Drunk Spanish Matlock
3. Generic Octopus
4. BadOptics
5. Chocolate Chunk
6. The Deleter
7. ?

(we can add more slots or split into 2 games if there's tons of interest)

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 22, 2016

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
I'd be more or less down for either of those times. It is the weekend so I will be drunk. There's a couple other dudes in Taipei who might be interested.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I can do Sunday; normally Saturday would also be fine but I'm helping a friend move.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Forer posted:

So wait, doesn't that mean the optimal way to get diplomatic points is every turn call someone an rear end in a top hat, their country is crap, they are crap and awful!

Nah, insulting Declarations don't count towards your Peace Points. Beneficial compliments do count, though.

Also, the game doesn't mention it much, but if you're allied with another nation against a third, killing units of that third empire grants you more Influence automatically. Useful.

One of the best ways to get ahead as the Drakken is to work on unlocking all those assimilation slots early so you have tons of micro-benefits for having friendly monster villages. (This also works CRAZY good for the Cultists.)

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Forer posted:

The optimal way to get diplo points is to give someone one dust repeatedly. To save on clicks, you should also give 1 of each resource you have. Trading all of your techs also saves you a couple minutes of clicking.

Alternatively, just calculate whether or not you have enough influence to win and stop playing if you do (unless you really want some cheevo I guess). Or just ignore diplo victory, or enforce some house rule on how much you can cheese it. Just... don't actually give someone one dust a hundred times.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Avasculous posted:

Saturday at Noon, ET.

Sunday 9 AM, ET.

Those times suck in Au, no go for me. Any 3pm ET games I'll be in.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Avasculous posted:

I suspect that part of the reason that they seem OP in SP is because the AI probably doesn't distinguish between naval/army power when it's deciding if you're vulnerable to attack. In the current game I'm playing, I think either the adjacent Drakken or Wild Walkers could have wiped me off the map in a 5-turn war if they realized that Leviathans can't defend cities.

Good question. I've only played Shifters/Tempest for a few hours and I've gotten at least two program locks, so we'll have to see.

Oh, my bad.

Saturday at Noon, ET.
1. Avasculous
2. Drunk Spanish Matlock

Sunday 9 AM, ET.
1. Avasculous
2. Drunk Spanish Matlock
3. Generic Octopus

I can do either day. Turns out the Stellaris game I want to join doesn't start until sometime after the 24th. :woop:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Avasculous posted:

Oh, my bad.

Saturday at Noon, ET.
1. Avasculous
2. Drunk Spanish Matlock
3. BadOptics

Sunday 9 AM, ET.
1. Avasculous
2. Drunk Spanish Matlock
3. Generic Octopus
4. BadOptics

I can do either/both

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kicking myself for not picking up Shifters and the other micro dlc when it was on sale, was busy and not using my PC/Steam at the time it was on sale :eng99:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm down for some MP, though this weekend doesn't work for me--I'll try to catch a later one.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

victrix posted:

Kicking myself for not picking up Shifters and the other micro dlc when it was on sale, was busy and not using my PC/Steam at the time it was on sale :eng99:

Fortunately thanks to the power of the endless series not being a money grubbing blackhole of poo poo and garbage like some other 4x games (Civilization) you can play all of those wonderful expansions in multiplayer if the host has them!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Spanish Matlock posted:

Fortunately thanks to the power of the endless series not being a money grubbing blackhole of poo poo and garbage like some other 4x games (Civilization)

:eyepop:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

While I wouldn't articulate it like that I semi-agree with the idea. Firaxis have that whole shoddy as gently caress release but don't worry it will be fixed in 2 expansions time thing down to an art. See everyone realising that the AI in Civ VI is pants and the game is clearly frontloaded for the first ~ 200 or so turns with stuff. I'd place money now on Renaissance ex pack 1 and Modern ex pack 2. This is despite the "it will be complete out of the box" lines they kept pushing.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

At least they didn't cut out religion with the excuse that it doesn't fit the gameplay this time.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

At least they didn't cut out religion with the excuse that it doesn't fit the gameplay this time.

I remember that was the big marketing push that Religion was there from the get-go while coughing loudly anytime someone mentioned the late-game world council and ideology stuff. There is just something so lazy and formulaic about how Civ is made and marketed. There were these videos coming out each week with the leaders and what they can do and its all just the same poo poo repackaged as something new. This week its Peter of Russia who can get more land on his settled cities, or the Shoshone from Civ V. This week its Norway who can embark from turn 1, or Polynesia from Civ V. The list goes on. The marketing push for Civ VI actually made me less interested in buying it over time which was cemented by the early access Youtube content from the usual suspects. Watching these streams it has become obvious no-one at Firaxis has the no idea what they are doing when they design these games, or they don't care because it will sell a bunch anyway. In Civ V getting salt starts was huge because the tile gave you food and hammers and gold. It was ludicrous in MP games. In Civ VI spices and bananas are the same. This is without mentioning Sycthia who get 2 for 1 on horse units which can also heal upon killing an enemy. I like a bit of asymmetry in my games, which is why I like Endless Legend so much, but with Civ VI they just haven't sat down and objectively looked at the things they were implementing and its so obvious.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Looks like we're doing tomorrow, at 9 AM ET.

I'll post something in the Goon Legend Steam group, PM me there or here for an invite.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've been swallowed by the amorphous monster of Civ 6 but I can make tomorrow. I'm in BST, if that info helps any.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Happy to have you. We're playing at 9 AM ET, which is 2 PM BST?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Looks like it

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

which is why I like Endless Legend so much, but with Civ VI they just haven't sat down and objectively looked at the things they were implementing and its so obvious.

Honestly, 'too much content' is hardly a fair complaint, and I'm not rooting for release-day Civ (haven't played VI), but there's so many spinning plates in Endless Legend + all the expansions that I keep loving up the basic things now, like "oh poo poo, none of my cities have governors" or, "oh yeah, I should probably open the unit design screen for once in the past 3 eras."

I like that the game prods you if you haven't activated your overflowing boosters in a while, but I kind of wish they'd added reminders for the 50 other things to keep track of.

I still need to find out what the gently caress the moth-bat-people actually do besides "something with pearls."

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Avasculous posted:

Honestly, 'too much content' is hardly a fair complaint

"Too much content" is indeed a hard complaint to lodge, but "too much insubstantial content" is not. I would agree that there are maybe too many moving parts in EL that only become important when ignored, which is neither cool nor good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
I keep hoping one of the Endless games will incorporate a chill, hermetic race of rock dudes like the Silicoids from MoO. Stellaris has let me down too.