Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

Refuses to acknowledge Hillary won.

But that's beside the point. Who has the authority, if anyone, to get him to stop telling impressionable people that he actually won the election?

Nobody.

He's free to believe whatever stupid bullshit he wants.

As a matter of fact I will be the one to win the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
When the supreme abuela wins we all win.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't worry that Trump supporters will somehow overthrow the government, I'm worried about innocent people (and also cops) getting hurt or killed in random attacks started by Trump's complete carelessness and cowardice.

Like 4chan has plenty of dudes with no jobs, families, or future prospects, who are incredibly mad about trump, and there have been at least a few school shooters who used 4chan frequently. A guy who goes 'the election is rigged!!' is feeding the kind of attitude that leads to mass shootings way more than a guy who respectfully steps aside and promises to keep pushing his policies even if he isn't president.

Like, I'm not worried about some mass uprising, I'm worried that there'll be a small but noticeable uptick in the number of mass shootings.

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

I don't worry that Trump supporters will somehow overthrow the government, I'm worried about innocent people (and also cops) getting hurt or killed in random attacks started by Trump's complete carelessness and cowardice.

Like 4chan has plenty of dudes with no jobs, families, or future prospects, who are incredibly mad about trump, and there have been at least a few school shooters who used 4chan frequently. A guy who goes 'the election is rigged!!' is feeding the kind of attitude that leads to mass shootings way more than a guy who respectfully steps aside and promises to keep pushing his policies even if he isn't president.

Like, I'm not worried about some mass uprising, I'm worried that there'll be a small but noticeable uptick in the number of mass shootings.

There will probably be an uptick in that even if he does concede.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

McAlister posted:

You want the long version of the argument? Fine.

Hillary is a leader, not a cheerleader.

she also wasn't president when doma was signed into law

i was referring to you repeating the long-debunked line that bill clinton refused to veto doma because it was a tactical decision to stave off a worse result i.e. a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mass shootings in the U.S. haven't been particularly motivated by politics. The trend has been upward for years, because violence is culturally-informed: once the idea to go out and shoot a bunch of strangers in a public space exists, people will do it. It's going to keep happening because it has happened. Same reason why you see suicide bombings in the Middle East, but not the U.S. We do suicide shootings instead.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Mass shootings are definitely political in nature, as is any act meant to target such a large and random group of people.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Having a couple Trump inspired mass shootings by white nuts won't be a bad thing for Hillary or Democrats. Even better if it's white on black

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

shrike82 posted:

Having a couple Trump inspired mass shootings by white nuts won't be a bad thing for Hillary or Democrats. Even better if it's white on black

good work living up to the text in your av

e: tbf that's ghoulish enough you could take neera tanden's place at CAP come january

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

shrike82 posted:

Hillary will cement her presidency with dead blacks. This is a good thing. :downs:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

nine-gear crow posted:

Joe Scarborough melting down on MSNBC over Trump refusing to respect the outcome of the election trying to throw himself on this grenade for Trump.

Tell me again Joe about how you're not voting for Trump :allears:

Hmm, Joe Scarboroughs an idiot you say? This is certainly a strange new development i'll have to investigate further.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Mass shootings are definitely political in nature, as is any act meant to target such a large and random group of people.
My point is that, for the most part, the shooters weren't doing it in response to specific political events or incidents or even laws, other than the Gabby Giffords shooting. Obviously when people feel so powerless and desperate for attention that they are willing to go kill a bunch of people there is a political component to that, but we haven't seen them get worse as a result of politics, local or national, we've seen them get worse as a result of other shootings happening.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

shrike82 posted:

I'm too retarded for Debate and Discussion!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I'm trying to think what a Demo Trump would look like. Like a failed crooked Mega Church pastor running as a Democrat on a platform of mandatory homosexuality despite making massive amounts of money in his church calling gay people abominable. Constantly complimentary of women but only if they had a 9 month abortion.

alvin greene is probably the closest analogue which says a lot more about the state of the republican party

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

9th month abortion

I know Hillary didn't want to make light of the topic, but I was really hoping she'd point out what he was describing was called a C-Section.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mister Adequate posted:

I confess I would have liked to see Abuela come out rocking a full on cyberpunk neo-renaissance outfit, Eliza Cassan style.

I can't wait for her inauguration. I want something like this to happen so bad.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

FactsAreUseless posted:

My point is that, for the most part, the shooters weren't doing it in response to specific political events or incidents or even laws, other than the Gabby Giffords shooting. Obviously when people feel so powerless and desperate for attention that they are willing to go kill a bunch of people there is a political component to that, but we haven't seen them get worse as a result of politics, local or national, we've seen them get worse as a result of other shootings happening.

Seriously crazy people with access to guns will use any excuse to execute their demented delusions. It doesn't help one bit being fearful of the rascal rebellion nor does it help that the media slobbers all over the still-warm corpses of murder victims.

Best thing we, as regular folk, can do is just report disturbing things to the authorities. See a crazy 4chan post alluding to violence? Report! Fb friend posting cryptic poo poo? Report! poo poo, some homeless dudes found a backpack bomb and saved a lot of people.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

shrike82 posted:

Do you really think that would help matters? Every time we have some right wing fanatics kill people in this country, they are always treated as some lone wolf maniac by the media and the especially by the Republicans so that no large scale response will occur. The CIA actually warned about the rise of right wing extremists years ago, but Republicans threw a hissy fit about daring to suggest white people could be terrorists. All that we'd get from such attacks is a lot of dead people with the media and public being asked to do their best to ignore any link between attacks thanks to some halfhearted excuses from the GOP to deny any responsibility. Even if it somehow managed to stick this time, it'd be blamed entirely on Trump and not the many years of conservatives encouraging denial of reality, bigotry, and ideological purity at all costs in their base.

A country that looks at regular school shootings and refuses to pass even the weakest gun control laws is not at all ready to deal with what Trump will try to incite.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

porfiria posted:

Someone post that Chris Hayes thing about undecided voters from 2004. The big takeaway from that is that many of them don't understand issues. Not THE issues--it's not that they don't know the candidates' positions or where they themselves stand. They literally DON'T UNDERSTAND THE CONCEPT OF ISSUES IN POLITICS.

lol i would love to read this.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Petr posted:

Hey dummy maybe you shouldn't have that thing in your custom title, then. Custom titles are generally pretty accurate and representative of the person who has them, I've found.

:ohdear:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I'm from Oklahoma City and I say there will be no uprisings or mass shootings!!!!!

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol i would love to read this.

http://chrishayes.org/articles/decision-makers/

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

can someone repost that surreal avshalom post with Hillary as a sub-orbital angel about to crash into a Trump-Akira monster?

Avshalom is incredible

Avshalom posted:

it is the year 2018 and trump spreads like a cancerous reef from the southernmost point of chile to the coast of greenland, where his grasping extremities are kept at bay by brave warriors with shotguns. they never leave the shore unguarded lest a prawn-coloured hand crawl up from the melted glacial depths and dig its yellowing nails into their territory. trump's mouth has opened near hawa'ii, birthplace of the man whose flesh was the first to be digested and absorbed into trump's biomass. the seawater and chunks of the nearby island spiral into it. it bellows without pause. trump's dick lies slumped like an anaemic beached humpback on the sands of miami, where his troops herd parades of half-nude eye candy back and forth, back and forth, back and forth in front of its silent unfathomable eye. his rear end in a top hat is in the gulf of mexico. no birds will risk the sky over that water anymore.

Avshalom posted:

hillary floats in orbit, gathering her lethal shell of cosmic shrapnel around her through the sheer force of her rhetoric, steeling her will for the fateful moment where she and the meteors crash down on trump's empire and dust returns to dust. she is ready. her eyes have never been sharper, her hair has never been harder. she is the one. she is chosen

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this is loving insane.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Undecided voters being confirmed as commonly racist and generally stupid is a strange thing, but not at all surprising.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

shrike82 posted:

:goonsay:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

McAlister posted:

You want the long version of the argument? Fine.

Hillary is a leader, not a cheerleader. Her job isn't to rile up the base - its to hammer out compromises with the opposition and to change their minds if possible. To do that she has to focus on the arguments that are most palatable to the other side, not the ones that get the base the most smug/erect.

Take abortion rights - I presume you'll conceded that she is absolutely serious about those? Does she talk like a single issue abortion rights voter? No! She regularly talks about it using borrowed right wing language. Turning their own memes about individual liberty against them - she just did it again in the debate. She's the one who coined, "Safe, legal, and rare" as a successful wedge attack to get the pro and anti birth control sides of the no-choice block fighting against each other - leading some to flip to become pro-choice as they realized the depravity of their allies.

Or look at what she said to black lives matters :

Again, this is the difference between a leader and a cheerleader. A cheerleader values making noise. A leader values making change. Wasting political capital in a doomed effort against overwhelming odds is all very well for a single issue cheerleader. Such a person has no concern about things like lost opportunity cost because they care about no other issues. And they don't care if a gesture is pointless - or even if it's counterproductive - because their main goal is to fire up the folks who already agree with them. A leader can't/shouldn't behave that way.

Reminder- before she became a Supreme Court justice none other than Ruth Bader Ginsberg was attacked by activist feminists as anti-feminist because she prioritized results over rhetoric. RBG made incredible progress for women's rights by selecting cases to push to the Supreme Court that were tailor made to appeal to the old white guy's on it. For example she took the case of a widower who had been a stay at home dad with a working wife to the court to argue that it was unfair that men got fewer benefits than women from social security in the event that their spouse died. Why should this boy be deprived of support because it was his mother who died instead of his father?

And the idiot cheerleaders gnashed their teeth and wailed about what a traitor Ginsberg was to the cause wasting time arguing to give men even more benefits than they already had. Self hating woman! Clearly Ruth is no true feminist.

But the precedent set by her case was then used by the lower courts to strike down all manner of sex based laws that did screw over women. Because by finding a case where sex specific laws actually screwed over a man she got SCOTUS to write a strong opinion declaring that treating people differently under the law due to their sex was not ok. And when Bill asked Hillary to find him "a diversity pick" for the court Ruth appeared so moderate that the republican held senate confirmed her. . Tee hee.

That is leadership. It's the stuff that actually gets things done. And yes, to do it you have to reach out to and understand the other side. Attacking Hillary for doing so is as stupid as attacking RBG for doing so. Question their methods all you like. I get that pragmatic incremental improvements ain't everyone's cup of tea. But kindly shove questioning their hearts where the sun don't shine. Hillary has been clearly looking to change systems and laws and has taken every opportunity she's had to help the LGBT community the world over. Which is the clearest sign of her heart you could possibly find. Cause those gay people in other countries? They can't vote for her. But she leveraged diplomacy as SOS to help them anyway.

So. Please resume complaining that she won't criticize her husband for making a correct tactical choice over two decades ago while completely ignoring all the things she personally has done to help. With criticism as weak-sauce as that who needs praise?

poo poo, man.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, sniffing. Is there any other explanation for this than drugs? It only ever happens at the debates, doesn't it?

ErIog posted:

It's a blowout, but it's an entertaining blowout rather than a creepy as gently caress, "is he going to punch her?" blowout like happened in Debate 2. There's also some impressive own goals on the Trump side.
Hm. So far it's just old reasonable person making centrist points vs. old stupid person making stupid points. I was hoping for old insane person yelling insane words. Hope it gets better.

Jerry Spring for 4th debate moderator.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Cingulate posted:

So, sniffing. Is there any other explanation for this than drugs? It only ever happens at the debates, doesn't it?

Hm. So far it's just old reasonable person making centrist points vs. old stupid person making stupid points. I was hoping for old insane person yelling insane words. Hope it gets better.

I've got a head cold and sniffing happens.

Also happens when I do coke.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

:getin:

If they keep this up, they'll have to mount their challenges against Nancy Pelosi.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

JFairfax posted:

Yeah, I mean - is there any reasonable explanation for why he'd only get colds before debates?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

It could be a nervous tic. I don't know.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Joe Scarborough is so bizarrely dishonest and snippy. Does he even get ratings? It feels like he's a remnant of MSNBC's experiment with wingnuttery (they hired Michal freaking Savage at one point trying to be Fox II) that people forgot to clean up because he doesn't start shouting about black helicopters.

Now Kellyanne, I get. It's her job to spin anything to Trump's benefit. He could light himself of fire on the debate stage and she'd say it shows his resolve and fortitude, that he was emulating buddhist protesters and famous superhero Human Torch, and why are you prejudiced against pyro-americans?

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

Cingulate posted:

Could be an eustachian tube defect (the tube that connects your middle ear to your nose, people with a bad tube have to sniff constantly to keep their ear "plugged")

Or coke.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tom Guycot posted:

Hmm, Joe Scarboroughs an idiot you say? This is certainly a strange new development i'll have to investigate further.

Sometimes I'm ashamed to have the same surname.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Cingulate posted:

The most convincing argument that doesn't involve drugs is that it's an anxiety tic. He had it in debates 1 and 2, in debate 3 it was gone but came back right when Clinton started laying bait.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Sephyr posted:

Joe Scarborough is so bizarrely dishonest and snippy. Does he even get ratings? It feels like he's a remnant of MSNBC's experiment with wingnuttery (they hired Michal freaking Savage at one point trying to be Fox II) that people forgot to clean up because he doesn't start shouting about black helicopters.

Now Kellyanne, I get. It's her job to spin anything to Trump's benefit. He could light himself of fire on the debate stage and she'd say it shows his resolve and fortitude, that he was emulating buddhist protesters and famous superhero Human Torch, and why are you prejudiced against pyro-americans?
The show does well for its spot. Hell if I know why. If I'm watching cable news at the hours it's on, it's pretty much the only time my choice is not MSNBC.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

JFairfax posted:

Do you think that Trump is disciplined enough to campaign sick and not start bragging about it?

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
Why would he do coke, but only before presidential debates. Is coke known to enhance debate skills?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Gustav posted:

Why would he do coke, but only before presidential debates. Is coke known to enhance debate skills?

If by "debate skills" you mean "talking loudly and never stopping", then yes cocaine is the ultimate debate drug

• Locked thread