Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I've had this happen on days where rain is on and off. Then is says RAIN STOPPING when nothing is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Gunder posted:

Anyone noticed how the Dark Sky complication constantly predicts: "RAIN STARTING SOON", even when there's none predicted on the iPhone app? I feel like the app has a bit of a hair trigger regarding rain on the watch, when the iPhone app does not.

I get this, and opening carrot weather on the iPhone fixes it, which makes me think that "RAIN STARTING SOON" is the placeholder text when it loses sync.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

rum sodomy Rainbow Dash posted:

I've had this happen on days where rain is on and off. Then is says RAIN STOPPING when nothing is happening.

Yeah, it's been like that for the past few days here.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Grassy Knowles posted:

makes me think that "RAIN STARTING SOON" is the placeholder text when it loses sync.

I emailed Dark Sky about this exact issue and was told they're working on it.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
So I was bitching on the last page about my Watch's speakerphone capability having a range of like 3 feet. So I unpaired(wiped) then repair'd the drat thing and it's now behaving like it should. I have no clue what the gently caress that was.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I don't own an official sport band, but I've bought a few of the $10ish knock offs like MoKo from Amazon.

I like these better for a third the price. They snap into place confidently and fill the lugs more completely than the Mokos. I ordered 3 and they took exactly 14 days to arrive.

AliExpress is kind of the Wild West of fishy reviews, so I figured I'd point out a seller who delivered.

http://s.aliexpress.com/naMjuYFF

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Bluetooth range for an iPhone 6S to Watch S2 is really, really good. I left my watch in my 3rd floor hotel room, went down to the pool on the 1st floor, got messages the whole time. Obviously a little bit of mileage will vary, but I didn't expect it to cut through near that much.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Bluetooth range for an iPhone 6S to Watch S2 is really, really good. I left my watch in my 3rd floor hotel room, went down to the pool on the 1st floor, got messages the whole time. Obviously a little bit of mileage will vary, but I didn't expect it to cut through near that much.

Were you connected to the Hotel Wifi?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah, next time bring up control centre on the watch. If you see a little cloud icon it means it's using wifi, not bluetooth.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

People talk about the Apple tax for bands, but what is a reasonable price for someone looking at a nice leather band for their watch? I don't want to pay through the nose just for a little apple logo on my band, but at the same time I don't want a lovely knockoff on Amazon that's going to be uncomfortable or fall apart after a few months.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

People talk about the Apple tax for bands, but what is a reasonable price for someone looking at a nice leather band for their watch? I don't want to pay through the nose just for a little apple logo on my band, but at the same time I don't want a lovely knockoff on Amazon that's going to be uncomfortable or fall apart after a few months.

The Apple bands are pretty fairly priced against other premium bands out there, that said there are literally hundreds of great quality small maker leather bands out there. You'll probably spend 40-60 for a fairly nicely made bespoke, artisanal band created in the finest old factories of Portland, OR.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's lots of nice leather bands on Etsy. The leather itself is probably better quality than what Apple is using. Search for Shell Cordovan and Horween. They'll still be a bit cheaper than Apple's, I believe.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

The Apple bands are pretty fairly priced against other premium bands out there, that said there are literally hundreds of great quality small maker leather bands out there. You'll probably spend 40-60 for a fairly nicely made bespoke, artisanal band created in the finest old factories of Portland, OR.

Apples leather bands are poo poo quality and stupidly expensive, full stop.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

rage-saq posted:

Apples leather bands are poo poo quality and stupidly expensive, full stop.

Sorry, I meant the bands line in total. No experience with the leather because yeah, gently caress them.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wheezle posted:

Yeah, next time bring up control centre on the watch. If you see a little cloud icon it means it's using wifi, not bluetooth.

Yup, I was connected to hotel wifi so that makes way more sense. My bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

at the same time I don't want a lovely knockoff on Amazon that's going to be uncomfortable or fall apart after a few months.

I bought a MoKo "genuine leather" bund strap off Amazon and I'm not really sure how they can get away with calling it genuine leather. The sides are clearly plastic. There may be a micro millimetre layer of "leather" on it but I'm not optimistic. Definitely on the lookout for a proper bund strap that isn't Hermes expensive :P

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Duckman2008 posted:

Yup, I was connected to hotel wifi so that makes way more sense. My bad.

Just to note, that's still cool as hell. You can head down to the pool and do your thing without having to monitor your phone. Just hit a swim with no attachments and still get updates from your family/significant other if needed.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Just to note, that's still cool as hell. You can head down to the pool and do your thing without having to monitor your phone. Just hit a swim with no attachments and still get updates from your family/significant other if needed.

I will be first in line to buy a cell Apple Watch, so I def agree that this is a great feature. The downside is you are reliant on good wifi (the hotel wifi here is excellent actually, which is why it worked everywhere).

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I bought a MoKo "genuine leather" bund strap off Amazon and I'm not really sure how they can get away with calling it genuine leather. The sides are clearly plastic. There may be a micro millimetre layer of "leather" on it but I'm not optimistic. Definitely on the lookout for a proper bund strap that isn't Hermes expensive :P

As a general rule, "genuine leather" is code for cheap leather.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Tatumje posted:

As a general rule, "genuine leather" is code for cheap leather.

Yup. It's like would you expect a quality product to say "CONTAINS REAL FRUIT JUICE!"?

Basically the term "Genuine Leather" should read: "It's technically cow skin, so we are going to make sure you know that!"

Watch question: This doesn't bother me, but it has me confused.

I put on my watch after a shower (S2, if it matters) and I sometimes forget to enter my password. I'll remember like 5-10 minutes later, and... it no longer needs it?? Where's the security in that?

Or are you telling me it KNOWS MY SKIN?!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Feenix posted:

Watch question: This doesn't bother me, but it has me confused.

I put on my watch after a shower (S2, if it matters) and I sometimes forget to enter my password. I'll remember like 5-10 minutes later, and... it no longer needs it?? Where's the security in that?

Or are you telling me it KNOWS MY SKIN?!

I'm guessing you've unlocked your phone within that time. Unlocking your phone also unlocks your watch, assuming it's in contact with skin and it's within bluetooth range.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 18, 2016

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Diabolik900 posted:

I'm guessing you've unlocked your phone within that time. Unlocking your phone also unlocks your watch, assuming it's in contact with skin and it's within bluetooth range.

Oh no poo poo. Weird. Cool.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Feenix posted:

Oh no poo poo. Weird. Cool.

The future is truly now

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Diabolik900 posted:

And you have the "unlock with phone" or whatever the toggle is called on (but I think on is the default).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

And you have the "unlock with phone" or whatever the toggle is called on (but I think on is the default).

It asks you if you want it on during setup.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Yeah I've been looking for the same - I've been rocking a Pink sports band but I just can't in good conscience pay $79 CAD + Tax for a piece of silicone to get a new color.

Any recommendations for non-official Apple watch bands?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

robodex posted:

Yeah I've been looking for the same - I've been rocking a Pink sports band but I just can't in good conscience pay $79 CAD + Tax for a piece of silicone to get a new color.

It's fluerolastomere.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

robodex posted:

I'm happy enough with the sport band knockoffs from that Aliexpress seller I linked yesterday. $2.83 each. I've ordered 6 of them so far with no complaints.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is there an app that allows me to set a location on my phone as a destination, then a companion apple watch app just shows which direction that point is in, with distance left to go?

Something like the setup Ripley uses in James Cameron's Aliens to find Newt. This is the kind of thing, only it doesn't appear to have Apple Watch support.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pissflaps posted:

Is there an app that allows me to set a location on my phone as a destination, then a companion apple watch app just shows which direction that point is in, with distance left to go?

Something like the setup Ripley uses in James Cameron's Aliens to find Newt. This is the kind of thing, only it doesn't appear to have Apple Watch support.

Apple maps? It even vibrates the watch for the next direction/change.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Grassy Knowles posted:

Apple maps? It even vibrates the watch for the next direction/change.

Yeah sorry I should have been more clear this is particularly for when walking/hiking so I would be going off-road. It would be nifty to just pick a destination on a map, then follow whatever paths I find to make my way there. So just a direction and distance would be enough.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

Yeah sorry I should have been more clear this is particularly for when walking/hiking so I would be going off-road. It would be nifty to just pick a destination on a map, then follow whatever paths I find to make my way there. So just a direction and distance would be enough.

Would Viewranger work? http://www.viewranger.com/en-gb/products/viewranger6

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I don't think the watch has a compass (not that phone compasses work very well anyway). They should put a few minutes of position data as a trail on the map view so you can tell which way you've been walking.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

I'll get it and give it a whirl thank you.

jawbroken posted:

I don't think the watch has a compass (not that phone compasses work very well anyway). They should put a few minutes of position data as a trail on the map view so you can tell which way you've been walking.

I reached out on twitter to the developer of the app i linked to earlier and he gave this as the reason why they dont have a watch app yet - because the app doesnt know which way the watch is facing, which is reasonable.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Walnut sport band looks like nude panty hose on my white nails arm.

0 stars. Glad it was cheap.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Some kind of magic just happened. The very first day the Series 2 Space Black watch I wanted came in stock at the local apple store a dude responds to my craigslist ad for my watch and wants to buy it for the asking price.
Space Black best Black.

Observations for coming from an S0:
Taptic feels a little different, definitely improved, its kind of like the haptic feedback is more defined and less rattley.
Performance wise everything is definitely quite a bit snappier and more responsive, especially things graphics related, its like a lot of applications on the S0 didn't always run at 60FPS but now they do.
Battery life is still TBD, but on my first day I'm at 84% when I would normally be probably 74%.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Watch decided to reboot just as I was holding it up to a terminal to ApplePay for something. Not carrying my wallet is really cool -- having to wait a minute and a half for my watch to reboot so I can pay with it is... less cool.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Watch decided to reboot just as I was holding it up to a terminal to ApplePay for something. Not carrying my wallet is really cool -- having to wait a minute and a half for my watch to reboot so I can pay with it is... less cool.

Do you own an iPhone?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The S0 is starting to feel a bit sluggish on certain apps. Like the hyundai blue link one is either a big piece of poo poo as a whole or it just takes forever to load / actually register a command.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Do you own an iPhone?

Yeah but I went for a walk with just my watch.

That'll learn me.

• Locked thread