Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

Just a little farther south and you punch through into the gold mines and wildly profitable trade nodes though!

Sure, and the out of control inflation. I need a nice easy Sweden game or something :P

A question, does the economic idea set have any good inflation reduction events? Which idea groups do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Economic ideas has an idea that gives you a monthly -inflation tick that's equivalent to the advisor that does that.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think I'll do an Ethiopia game once I'm done forming Italy as Naples. How does the Coptic faith and its blessings work for the achievement. Is Prester John a decent goal to set myself or will constant war against the Ottomans be an infuriating slog?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Tsyni posted:

Sure, and the out of control inflation. I need a nice easy Sweden game or something :P

Sweden is p chill and your troops are space marines. Too bad Scandinavia is mostly worthless 1-1-1 provinces with +development cost.

Got the "Sweden is definitely not overpowered!" cheevo in 1630, not sure what to do with the save now though :|

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Sweden is p chill and your troops are space marines. Too bad Scandinavia is mostly worthless 1-1-1 provinces with +development cost.

Got the "Sweden is definitely not overpowered!" cheevo in 1630, not sure what to do with the save now though :|

Isn't there an achievement for winning the league wars as Sweden?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Buschmaki posted:

Economic ideas has an idea that gives you a monthly -inflation tick that's equivalent to the advisor that does that.

The bank reform event also gives a whopping -5 inflation.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Baron Corbyn posted:

Isn't there an achievement for winning the league wars as Sweden?

Yup, lion-something something. I think you have to be the Protestant league leader though?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

AnoHito posted:

Maybe ally France and try to drag them into a war on your side?

That's what I thought but France won't betray Savoy despite our mutual +160 relations! I thought there was a spy action to lower diplomatic reputation but I don't see it...

They could probably kick the HRE's rear end with me if I drag them to war at the right time. France is Catholic and the emperor is Protestant.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
To get the colonialism institution to spread to me, do I need to have a colony in the New World or just a colony anywhere?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Little Kielbasa posted:

To get the colonialism institution to spread to me, do I need to have a colony in the New World or just a colony anywhere?

It still spreads to you without you having to do any colonies but only from neighbouring provinces and it's slow as hell. I ended up getting colonisation and the printing press around the same time as Naples and colonisation only started in Portugal.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's what I thought but France won't betray Savoy despite our mutual +160 relations! I thought there was a spy action to lower diplomatic reputation but I don't see it...

They could probably kick the HRE's rear end with me if I drag them to war at the right time. France is Catholic and the emperor is Protestant.

Ally France, and then declare war on some other party, calling France in. Because France is in a war with you they can not honor the call to arms from Savoy. So, like declare on Corsica or some small OPM to get you and France in the same war, then the next day declare on Savoy.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ally France, and then declare war on some other party, calling France in. Because France is in a war with you they can not honor the call to arms from Savoy. So, like declare on Corsica or some small OPM to get you and France in the same war, then the next daymonth declare on Savoy.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

But be super careful not to let the first war end before you are done or France will turn on you in a heartbeat and wreck your poo poo.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are you a great power? The "break alliance" demand can be really useful for those situations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Are you a great power? The "break alliance" demand can be really useful for those situations.

I like the flavour text for that option. "France has demanded Novarra break their alliance with Castile...*ominous spiel*"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

AnoHito posted:

But then how am I supposed to make them pay for slighting me by ripping them to pieces and watching them die a painful and humiliating death?

Well yeah now that's the only option. But allies with high trust won't break stuff alliance and rival you.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Did this yesterday in my Ironman game:

I'm so close to making the Great Powers list now, but Printing Press just went live and who knows how I'm gonna manage to not fall behind at this point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Started an Ethiopia game last night and became Great Power #4 at 1490, basically the moment that I embraced the Renaissance. Immediately abused my power to break up all of Pate's alliances

I've been using my colonists to snake south towards Kilwa while my explorers finish discovering south africa. But I don't know if I'm going to bother taking the cape of good hope; is there any benefit to doing so, since you can't redirect trade back to Ethiopia? My thought is to try and totally lock down the Zanzibar trade node and use a merchant to collect there while eventually moving my trade capital to Alexandria

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Am I missing something about Trade Companies in this patch? I don't see a button in province view to add individual provinces, and I have a bunch of provinces in two Trade Company regions where I don't see an option anywhere to form a TC. One node, I can click on the trade node and add all provinces to a TC but don't see where I could add provinces individually. Two other nodes no button to form a TC at all.

Are there some requirements to forming TCs that I'm missing or are they broken?

Edit: do the provinces have to have Colonialism or Global Trade institutions or something?

Edit2: yeah it seems you can only add provinces with Colonialism to a trade company. I don't see that documented anywhere but maybe it was in the dev diaries.

QuarkJets posted:

Started an Ethiopia game last night and became Great Power #4 at 1490, basically the moment that I embraced the Renaissance. Immediately abused my power to break up all of Pate's alliances

I've been using my colonists to snake south towards Kilwa while my explorers finish discovering south africa. But I don't know if I'm going to bother taking the cape of good hope; is there any benefit to doing so, since you can't redirect trade back to Ethiopia? My thought is to try and totally lock down the Zanzibar trade node and use a merchant to collect there while eventually moving my trade capital to Alexandria

Yeah Ethiopia really owns right now. I would go for southern Africa just to block off the Euros from India and SE Asia. Then you have colonial expansion to the east all to yourself for a century or more, and you definitely do want the income from India and Asia.

I wouldn't bother with colonizing the New World but don't forget to send a conquistador to hunt for the seven cities.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 20, 2016

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Controlling the cape is how you lock down Zanzibar

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Trade companies are also only for different continents keep in mind, which really fucks you over as an Asian team.

You get the unrest from different religion/culture now that every tech group gets them, but don't have the easy way of nullify ing it by adding the provinces to trade companies the way the Europeans do.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
Re: Ethiopia, if you have Women In History you can also disinherit your lovely heir as soon as Eleni shows up and get that prestige back very quickly by rivaling and eating your Coptic neighbors.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I am! I forgot about the GP options.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice
Is tagswitching bugged? As a custom nation in England, taking the decision to form GB took me to 235% overextension :|

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Controlling the cape is how you lock down Zanzibar

How does that work? Wouldn't taking the provinces in the Zanzibar node be the most effective way of locking that down?

Is the idea that you take the Cape because some of that trade power flows upstream, helping you to dominate Zanzibar without actually having to control all of the provinces there? If that's the case, it seems like a reasonable strategy to me

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Government Handjob posted:

Is tagswitching bugged? As a custom nation in England, taking the decision to form GB took me to 235% overextension :|

It was, the latest hotfix was supposed to fix it.

QuarkJets posted:

Is the idea that you take the Cape because some of that trade power flows upstream, helping you to dominate Zanzibar without actually having to control all of the provinces there? If that's the case, it seems like a reasonable strategy to me

You take both, yes. Taking all the provinces in Cape means no provincial trade power flows upstream to Zanzibar, and so you can plausibly monopolize it.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Star posted:

Yup, lion-something something. I think you have to be the Protestant league leader though?

From the achievement requirements it appears you only have to be Sweden, be Protestant, join the League war, and win it.

code:
# Medium
achievement_lion_of_the_north = {
	id = 95

possible = {
		NOT = { num_of_custom_nations = 1 }
		normal_or_historical_nations = yes	
		normal_province_values = yes
		ironman = yes
		start_date = 1444.11.11
		tag = SWE
	}

visible = {
		has_dlc = "Art of War"
	}

happened = {
		religion = protestant
		custom_trigger_tooltip = {
			tooltip = achievement_lion_of_the_north_tooltip
			has_country_flag = won_religious_league_war
		}
	}
}

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is privateering a good alternative to collecting in secondary nodes?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
mountain forts with more than +100% fort defense? :getin:

Poil posted:

Is privateering a good alternative to collecting in secondary nodes?

eh not really, your province trade power won't help your privateers

send privateers to your rivals' home nodes

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Any one ever done the Academical achievement? Seems....very challenging. Guess it's just a matter of restarting a lot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
So wait how does embracing work as a non Euro? Pump development?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Let me put it this way, the glorious capital of the mighty Korean empire has 65 development. :downs:

Godlovesus
Oct 16, 2015

Ask me about continually throwing myself at the enemy and losing every single time in EU4 Multiplayer.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yes, But even as a European you can do it to accelerate something that takes a while otherwise.

For example, in our MP game Colonialism popped in Portugal. Austria gets no spread, so I simply put about 10-15 points into Wien, bringing it from 26 to 40 and getting it, and letting me embrace it faster than most. The investments were worth it because: it kept me ahead of the curve and I had the spare points anyways, but it can be dependent on your situation. you really want to pick locations where it's cheap to buff (farmland, COTs, capital) and dump points once they spawn. In my case it cost me around 500+ MP all around, which is better because otherwise I would have to have waited like 20+ years anyways

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
1522 and I can't see a single European colony in all of North America. It's gonna be one of those games, isn't it?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Hey guys, I wanna learn how to play this game, I have all the DLC and poo poo but never sat down with it, but holy gently caress there's a lot going on. I'm confortable with CK2 but this is a whole nother level. Any tips/places to check out to learn this poo poo?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

queeb posted:

Hey guys, I wanna learn how to play this game, I have all the DLC and poo poo but never sat down with it, but holy gently caress there's a lot going on. I'm confortable with CK2 but this is a whole nother level. Any tips/places to check out to learn this poo poo?

There are some really good Youtube people who play EU4 that others will probably recommend, but I think that you should just start a game as Ottomans and see where the game takes you and then go to the eu4 wiki or this thread when you have questions. The starting position as Ottomans is extremely advantageous and the missions that you get lead pretty easily into figuring out how map painting works, and they get a ton of cool events that create an easy game in 1444 while letting the training wheels fall off centuries later, which is really great for a first-time player.

Nothing in the game will help you decipher how combat, trade, or a bunch of other core mechanics really work, and I recommend reading the eu4 wiki for those details. But getting a basic taste of the game before heading there is going to do you a world of good

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Poil posted:

Let me put it this way, the glorious capital of the mighty Korean empire has 65 development. :downs:

I think its a bit of waste of points to do it all in one province, after a certain point you cap on you institution spread per development. In my kongo game I ended up creating 3 size 37-40 provinces right next to each other, one for feudalism, one for renaissance, and one for printing press.

Vorpal Cat fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 21, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vorpal Cat posted:

I think its a bit of waste of points to do it all in one province, after a certain point you cap on you institution spread per development. In my kongo game I ended up creating 3 size 37-40 provinces right next to each other, one for feudalism, one for renaissance, and one for printing press.
Yeah, I stopped using the capital after printing press and pumped another province for global trade. Manufactories spread so insanely fast in a few provinces I didn't need to develop anything for it. :toot:

edit
Why is the AI always clogging up its precious building slots with absolute junk? +force limit, +ship building and even the utter garbage waste +sailors? :argh:

I know I can just :killdozer: the lot and replace it with actually good and useful stuff but come on. It seems kinda wasteful and it is annoying to have to check every province for pointless crap.

Poil fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Oct 21, 2016

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

queeb posted:

Ottomans or France are probably the two easiest to start with, with some clear conquering goals. without any big obstacles. England and Castille can be fun too, but they both start with some bigger risks, both for very bad rivals and for disasters to trigger in early, that can be hard to deal with when you are new to the game. Poland is another fun nation to start as, you start with two vassals and should get an event very early to form a personal union with Lithuania, so you get some easy experience with those mechanics and basically starts as a great power, again with some very clear goals through missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Vorpal Cat posted:

That must be a poo poo-ton of monarch points and sitting around clicking "develop".

• Locked thread