Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cicadas! posted:

Fuuuuuuck I can't wait til March I need this poo poo immediately

It's so smart to have a console that unifies your development process instead of splitting it between handheld and console. Maybe now the next Smash Bros game can afford to have the Ice Climbers in it because it's not restricted by inferior hardware. And also hopefully a bunch of other stuff. Just inject that poo poo directly into my veins, Reggie.

it's arguably their only feasible option. their success is based almost entirely on the quality of their first party games, and it inherently undermines one or both of their systems by having to split titles between the wii u and the 3DS. i probably would have bought a wii u if it had animal crossing, for example. it's baffling for people to call this a gimmick. it is the opposite of a gimmick, it is a functional solution to a real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hopefully in the garbage because holy crap I have to buy limited edition real objects to unlock content that is already in the game I already purchased?

You don't "have" to do anything.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Here's the truly important thing: is Switch the new 64? Super Mario Switch? Mario Kart Switch? Splatoon Switch?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

switch.avi

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Can't wait for the Monster Hunter announcement. This system is pretty much perfect for it. Monhun on the go, Monhun with your friends, get home and Monhun on a giant TV. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Sea Sponge Run posted:

i mean it could be the hd remaster version of skyrim that isn't actually out yet
That was my assumption too. Why would you port the lovely old version?

I think the bigger thing here is that Bethesda is even bothering to release something on a Nintendo system is pretty significant. Even a moderate sales success would suggest continued support for say, Dishonored 2.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Whats the ram though this is very important to me

Home Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
6gb LPDDR4 Memory
720p/1080p
SDHC, USB 3.0, USB 2.0, HDMI, Game Card

Portable Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
4Gb LPDDR4 Memory
1280x720 IPS display
Game card, 3.5 mm audio, charging port
480p camera

Here are your hardware specs folks.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Super No Vacancy posted:

where was the amiibo

There were amiibos (amiibi?) in front of the TV during the new Mario segment. Whether they do anything or were just window dressing, that remains to be seen.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's plenty of people making games for the Vita.

If by plenty you mean anime titty grabbing games then yeah, "plenty"

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can we talk about the fact that the default controller is the JOY-CON GRIP?

It houses the JOY CONS!

No matter what you think of this thing, everyone's gonna end up with one. It's Nintendo. It's required. The second the Monster Hunter team puts out some HD images or the Pokemon devs tease a new game, everyone who doesn't jump at the start will be on board.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Alternatively: hell yes a Nintendo handheld that isn't 6 years old and hamstrung by an insanely low res screen and whatever other sacrifices they had to make to get 3d going.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Utnayan posted:

Home Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
6gb LPDDR4 Memory

Portable Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
4Gb LPDDR4 Memory
1280x720 IPS display
480p camera

does this mean that there is just an additional 2gb of RAM in the dock? or that the dock and the handheld each have their own tegra and combine for 10gb of RAM?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Real talk nintendo polishes the poo poo out of their games no matter what engine they're using. Thats one of the main reasons Wii Games published by nintendo looked great but everyone else's looks like horseshit.

This is exactly why Zelda's frame rate in portable mode looking chunky is disconcerting to me

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Endorph posted:

something that looks like the gigantic chunky cartridges from their youth, because things that are different from when they were 9 are bad.

I just meant when I hear cartridge I expected something that looked more like a Game Boy game or something, not an SD card. I didn't say it was bad, just not what I was expecting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Utnayan posted:

Home Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
6gb LPDDR4 Memory
720p/1080p

Portable Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
4Gb LPDDR4 Memory
1280x720 IPS display
480p camera

oh well that would be more than 200$ lol

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

ChibiSoma posted:

The second the Monster Hunter team puts out some HD images or the Pokemon devs tease a new game, everyone who doesn't jump at the start will be on board.

This is the thing people who are snubbing the NS or on the fence need to remember. We're very likely going to get big, pretty versions of everything that's basically handheld only right now. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Ace Attorney, Monster Hunter, you name it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

jivjov posted:

You don't "have" to do anything.

wow real indepth response here.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Hopefully the partnership with Nvidia means better accessibility for western devs who have been out of the dedicated handheld business for really long now. If this thing will steadily get ports of easier to run games I'm all for getting it as an indie machine with Nintendo on the side.

Also Platinum is included in the list of confirmed devs. If Switch gets stuff like Bayo and Wonderful 101 sequels too I'm sold.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

wicka posted:

does this mean that there is just an additional 2gb of RAM in the dock? or that the dock and the handheld each have their own tegra and combine for 10gb of RAM?

They are separated.

6 Gb in the Dock, portable ram goes inactive and isn't shared.
4 Gb in the Portable.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LmaoTheKid posted:

Yeah, i do. And with the Vita dead, all those games are coming to the Switch :getin:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

This is exactly why Zelda's frame rate in portable mode looking chunky is disconcerting to me

is disconcerting to me that you watched a 3 minute teaser video and thought you saw real footage of people playing finished games on finished hardware

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Anyone know what the Japanese reaction has been?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Who wants to take a stab at price

$200 for base screen + joycons
$150 for dock
$40 for grip
$60 for pro controller

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

El Generico posted:

Here's the truly important thing: is Switch the new 64? Super Mario Switch? Mario Kart Switch? Splatoon Switch?

If Splatoon 2 isn't just called "Spla2n", then I don't even know what the point is.

Tender Bender posted:

Can't wait for the Monster Hunter announcement. This system is pretty much perfect for it. Monhun on the go, Monhun with your friends, get home and Monhun on a giant TV. Yes. Yes. Yes.

Maybe they'll finally update the models so the monsters look less like PS2 assets. They don't really have an excuse to not do a graphical pass if they're moving back onto an HD system.

I will still buy MH5 if even if it looks like an up-scaled Wii game, though :smith:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kelp Me! posted:

I just meant when I hear cartridge I expected something that looked more like a Game Boy game or something, not an SD card. I didn't say it was bad, just not what I was expecting.

Have you not seen DS or 3DS or Vita cartridges? Have you arrived here via time rip from 1998?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Utnayan posted:

Home Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
6gb LPDDR4 Memory
720p/1080p

Portable Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
4Gb LPDDR4 Memory
1280x720 IPS display
480p camera

So what exactly does the home unit house other than an extra 2GB of RAM and some ports? Or do they both have X2's that can be chained SLI-style?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Hopefully in the garbage because holy crap I have to buy limited edition real objects to unlock content that is already in the game I already purchased?

yes

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Utnayan posted:

They are separated.

6 Gb in the Dock, portable ram goes inactive and isn't shared.
4 Gb in the Portable.

what about the tegras? can games use both tegras when docked? nintendo does have a patent for exactly this kind of thing, sharing hardware resources between a base station and a docked portable.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Does a Nvidia Tegra use the Pascal chipset stuff that are in the 10xx and Titan lines?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

euphronius posted:

oh well that would be more than 200$ lol

why would this be a dealbreaker for anyone who isn't living on a loving mcdonalds wage. you're already wasting expendable cash on videogames, you've probably spent thousands on worse games/consoles already

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

:agreed: though I'm hoping that's just related to the overall video or something. It didn't even look like LoZ was hitting 30FPS, it looked choppy as gently caress. I doubt that's how it'll actually play though; honestly my feeling is less "I hope Nintendo doesn't think that's an acceptable framerate" and more "who at Nintendo is getting fired for letting their world-reveal trailer show such crappy-looking video"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

Who wants to take a stab at price

$200 for base screen + joycons
$150 for dock
$40 for grip
$60 for pro controller
no way the dock is sold separately. the entire point is that it can switch. it's called the switch. making a thing that can't switch and then charging you extra for the ability to switch would be terrible.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Jsor posted:

My concern is that if this replaces Nintendo's portable niche as well (which is a big if), the graphical requirements and thus development costs (and likely prices) are going to balloon. It makes the market less friendly to smaller developers. Right now the 3DS gets a lot of support partially because they don't have to spend nearly as much on high quality, high resolution assets.

I mean games like Shovel Knight and Binding of Isaac don't exactly need awesome graphics.

The Switch looks like all of Nintendo's other TV consoles - a compliment to an Xbox/Playstation/PC.

I wonder what OS it runs? AndroidTV would be great (SPMC/Kodi/Plex on the go), but that's unlikely.

Nintendo should buy a From Software exclusive souls-like game ala Bloodborne. Zelda and Mario look cool but that's what $360 for two games?

Also if Square is in maybe some RPGs would be ported. The traditional RPG market kind of sucks nowadays.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Utnayan posted:

Home Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
6gb LPDDR4 Memory
720p/1080p

Portable Unit:
Nvidia Tegra X2
4Gb LPDDR4 Memory
1280x720 IPS display
480p camera

Did you pull these out of your rear end or find them somewhere?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

wicka posted:

is disconcerting to me that you watched a 3 minute teaser video and thought you saw real footage of people playing finished games on finished hardware

Then they cut frames of the Zelda footage on the portable shot on purpose i guess is what you're saying so that's cool that Nintendo is keeping our expectations in check I guess

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Phimosissy posted:

I realized that since both sides of the removable controller deal are wireless, there are no contacts to get mucked up by goony cheetofingers when it reconnects which means it's very likely using wireless even when it's physically connected

Welcome to the future

Nah, that seems impractical for a couple of reasons. First, why leave two unused batteries attached to the screen and not utilize them? And second, might as well have a direct contact and eliminate lag.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

why would this be a dealbreaker for anyone who isn't living on a loving mcdonalds wage. you're already wasting expendable cash on videogames, you've probably spent thousands on worse games/consoles already

because kids break/lose/get stolen this kind of poo poo.

Def going to get one for me up to like $500 maybe if it comes with Zelda

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

no way the dock is sold separately. the entire point is that it can switch. it's called the switch. making a thing that can't switch and then charging you extra for the ability to switch would be terrible.

Yeah. I'm betting 250-300 for the Switch, including dock and that controller thing the eye-cons connect to

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED

Utnayan posted:

Imagine how much thinner the Switch would be if it used the industry standard Lightning port rather than the antique 3.5mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

El Generico posted:

LmaoTheKid posted:

Can't wait for the anime tiddy games where we have to wonder if the Switch in the title is going to end up being a verb or a noun.

• Locked thread