Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm really amused at this idea that the right wing looks to the media and the left to tell them what to think about their own candidates. Like if liberals were more selective in which insane right wingers they called out, the people who are currently really excited about throwing brown people in camps would be like "hmm, perhaps they have a point about this Trump guy!"

Anyway, free speech is messy. I'm not entirely sure that trying to ferret out every musician that once said or wrote something lovely is very worthwhile but hey, people can use whatever criteria they want to decide who give their money to.

Also nazis and nazi apologists really should gently caress off.

Think about it from the other side. How ridiculous does it sound to you when you hear O'Reilly call democrats "left wing nazis," or to use the "I guess you just hate America" rhetoric. When you overuse poo poo like that, it really loses its meaning. If you watch interviews with people who defend Trump, they often don't try to justify what he does, they simply refuse to believe the claims. They've heard this rhetoric before (too bad this time it's mostly true though). You're even showing that type of hyperbole by saying that they're "excited about throwing brown people in camps," as a way to refer to people supporting deportation (a move I consider stupid and unfeasible, mind you). I'm sure it's possible to criticize his idiotic plan without bringing up death camp analogies.

Of course, I'm not saying this is what's happening with Peste Noire though, since their WAR stuff is, well, a nazi symbol.

As for allegedly nazi artists; they can do whatever they want. If you don't like them, don't give them money, but accept that other people might like their work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012

A human heart posted:

Peste Noire are pretty well known as being nationalistic and right wing although they're not really NS strictly speaking.

They are as close as you can get to being NS as you can get without technically being it. Have you heard the sort of poo poo Famine says about himself and his music?

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Seeing SATAN tomorrow, which makes that twice in one year :wow:

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

The new Mithras album is streaming: On Strange Loops

I've never been a huge Mithras fan, but they are really fast and have super sick guitar solos.

All this nazi stuff is really upsetting to me, and it's hard to know whats right to do, about these bands, that love hitler and genocide, but also make cool music. maybe it's fine if they lose shows because they want to kill all minorities? just thinking out loud here.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Varg posted:

Seeing SATAN tomorrow, which makes that twice in one year :wow:

I'm very jealous.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Non Serviam posted:

Think about it from the other side. How ridiculous does it sound to you when you hear O'Reilly call democrats "left wing nazis," or to use the "I guess you just hate America" rhetoric. When you overuse poo poo like that, it really loses its meaning. If you watch interviews with people who defend Trump, they often don't try to justify what he does, they simply refuse to believe the claims. They've heard this rhetoric before (too bad this time it's mostly true though). You're even showing that type of hyperbole by saying that they're "excited about throwing brown people in camps," as a way to refer to people supporting deportation (a move I consider stupid and unfeasible, mind you). I'm sure it's possible to criticize his idiotic plan without bringing up death camp analogies.

Of course, I'm not saying this is what's happening with Peste Noire though, since their WAR stuff is, well, a nazi symbol.

As for allegedly nazi artists; they can do whatever they want. If you don't like them, don't give them money, but accept that other people might like their work.

What Bill O'Reilly says has zero impact on how anybody left of Richard Nixon votes, that's my point. If zombie Josef Stalin somehow won the Democratic nomination and ran on a platform of throwing Republicans in gulags, the blame would fall on violent leftist shitheads, not on Bill O'Reilly for saying a bunch of dumb poo poo nobody cares about anyway. The idea that people shouldn't call bigots bigots because they have to save their bullets in case an even worse bigot comes along is ridiculous. And for the record, Trump literally said that he thought Japanese internment camps in WW2 might have been the right call, so...

Anyway, this free speech back and forth is always kind of silly because there is no right answer. Nobody is trying to outlaw Peste Noir or confiscate their records - they exercised their free speech to let sponsors know they wouldn't be spending money to support an alleged Nazi band. Peste Noir's right to use a bunch of Nazi imagery and other people's right to not care about that are exactly the same as the right to say "I won't buy a ticket to this show/fest if they're playing." You can't have one and not the other.

Like, I think the dudes who get super salty about MDF having doom and black metal bands now are dumb but if they were a big and vocal enough group that the MDF organizers had to cater to them, it wouldn't be some big crisis of free speech.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Hulk Krogan posted:

What Bill O'Reilly says has zero impact on how anybody left of Richard Nixon votes, that's my point. If zombie Josef Stalin somehow won the Democratic nomination and ran on a platform of throwing Republicans in gulags, the blame would fall on violent leftist shitheads, not on Bill O'Reilly for saying a bunch of dumb poo poo nobody cares about anyway. The idea that people shouldn't call bigots bigots because they have to save their bullets in case an even worse bigot comes along is ridiculous. And for the record, Trump literally said that he thought Japanese internment camps in WW2 might have been the right call, so...

Anyway, this free speech back and forth is always kind of silly because there is no right answer. Nobody is trying to outlaw Peste Noir or confiscate their records - they exercised their free speech to let sponsors know they wouldn't be spending money to support an alleged Nazi band. Peste Noir's right to use a bunch of Nazi imagery and other people's right to not care about that are exactly the same as the right to say "I won't buy a ticket to this show/fest if they're playing." You can't have one and not the other.

Like, I think the dudes who get super salty about MDF having doom and black metal bands now are dumb but if they were a big and vocal enough group that the MDF organizers had to cater to them, it wouldn't be some big crisis of free speech.

You're the only one talking about free speech here though. I don't know who you're arguing against in that regard.

Having said that, the fact that the antifa just push and threaten venues and festivals until they bow down isn't something worthy of praise (i'm not saing you're praising it)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

I vaguely remember reading something about how most of the dudes from Agalloch are forming a new band, so keep an eye out for that! Also The Morningside is pretty solid and sounds very similar.

Ignoring nazichat, it makes me happy to see someone else mention The Morningside. When I used to listen to them nobody knew who they were.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Non Serviam posted:

You're even showing that type of hyperbole by saying that they're "excited about throwing brown people in camps," as a way to refer to people supporting deportation (a move I consider stupid and unfeasible, mind you). I'm sure it's possible to criticize his idiotic plan without bringing up death camp analogies.

we were literally throwing brown people into camps not a decade ago and any time the current guy in charge tries to get the main camp shut down the other team cries to high heaven. on top of that our civilian police operate similar black sites domestically

a huge chunk of trump's voter base are old enough to remember living during jim crow. my parents went to segregated schools

it's really not hyperbole

that being said who gives a poo poo about some lame band being nazis

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

that being said who gives a poo poo about some lame band being nazis

Esp when there's so many cool bands being nazis, tbh

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
Make Europe Great Again

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Peste Noire have some really great lyrics and a couple of albums that are quite good. On the other hand he looks like a twat and is responsible for the career of Alcest, which by my count makes him, hmmm *squints at sheet of numbers* at least twice as bad as Hitler.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
they're just nazi pagan bands, guys

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Weaponized Cum posted:

they're just nazi pagan bands, guys

Not even that. I'm against the cancelation, but it's undeniable that the dude has done his best to come off as a neo Nazi skinhead.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The nazi discussion always makes me think of Karl from Bolt Thrower (bolt thrower)'s story about getting high on meth or whatever and fighting skinheads at some concert

bolt thrower

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Are anti-fascist groups super active in Europe or something? In Australia they seem cool, you wouldn't know they exist except for the occasional counterprotest. I think most of their work is just investigating and outing people to the media who have ties to white power orgs.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Are anti-fascist groups super active in Europe or something? In Australia they seem cool, you wouldn't know they exist except for the occasional counterprotest. I think most of their work is just investigating and outing people to the media who have ties to white power orgs.

There are some, not to mention that local Jewish communities aren't too happy when a suspected-NS band wants to play there. The UK and Germany in particular have some pretty big anti-nazi organizations. When it comes to bands, for the ones they get right, they get a few wrong, as happened with Sabaton, Tyr, Moonsorrow, Watain, and others.

As for antifa skinheads, I've seen a few in Germany and France, but not so much in Spain, Norway or the Netherlands. All the best, really, they tend to be just as violent, drunk and idiotic as the other skinheads, just with different targets (I still love this comic for basically getting it right: http://imgur.com/a/NrE32).

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Some of them are huge assholes who phone bomb threats to venues in order to get gigs cancelled because their protests didn't work.

(Because they were protesting a band that wasn't nazi)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Peste Noir makes really good music

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

muike posted:

bolt thrower

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Don't p

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Yes also I do speak French and most of their lyrics in La Chaise Dyable their last album doesn't have anything Nazi related. There is definitely lots of nationalistic vibe in their songs. I do think their first few demos like back in 2001 were about the Aryan Race and straight up Nazi/facist. The last album is pretty much about the old way of living in France which was the country life and how in modern France like most of those small villages are empty. A bunch of their songs are taken from old war songs in medieval France. So ya some of the lyrics talk about the enemy or defending France but it isn't really offensive imo. Other than that they are pretty unique band who does a lot of experimenting.

s0urc3
Mar 1, 2009

The ship is now armed and preparing to explode. This will be a fairly large explosion, so you'd best keep back about 22 miles.
Black Rheno's released an EP pretty recently and it just launched on Bandcamp so it can be heard everywhere. It's got the benefit of good ol' grind 'Strayan rage balanced perfectly with some genuine stoner groove, and they ride that line better than I think I've ever heard.

Small band, but the production is quality, and the music video has King Parrot''s Matt Young as a weird rear end VW bus hippie, which pleases me greatly. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43JXtDga2FY

Their latest EP is here, highly recommend: https://blackrheno.bandcamp.com/album/lets-start-a-cult

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

skasion posted:

Peste Noire have some really great lyrics and a couple of albums that are quite good. On the other hand he looks like a twat and is responsible for the career of Alcest, which by my count makes him, hmmm *squints at sheet of numbers* at least twice as bad as Hitler.

But Alcest is good, so I don't see your argument

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Vintersorg posted:

counterpoint: try to listen to L'Ordure à l'état Pur without devolving into hysterical laughter at how stupid it is

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ulio posted:

Yes also I do speak French and most of their lyrics in La Chaise Dyable their last album doesn't have anything Nazi related. There is definitely lots of nationalistic vibe in their songs. I do think their first few demos like back in 2001 were about the Aryan Race and straight up Nazi/facist. The last album is pretty much about the old way of living in France which was the country life and how in modern France like most of those small villages are empty. A bunch of their songs are taken from old war songs in medieval France. So ya some of the lyrics talk about the enemy or defending France but it isn't really offensive imo. Other than that they are pretty unique band who does a lot of experimenting.

He definitely uses a racial slur on "J’avais Rêvé du Nord" and in general has pretty dark attitude to race and to modern society as a whole. He's not overtly a Nazi unlike plenty of black metal types but definitely has a right-punk, purposefully controversial politics in his music, which ties into the edgy "so underground" attitude he cultivates. I can see why he would offend people, I dare say that's what he wants, but I agree they are a much more musically interesting act than the vast majority of black metal today, regardless of whether people find them morally objectionable.

e:

black metal is serious business posted:

Having said that, we play this game in KPN to pretend to be the most cocky, the most irritable, the most stinking, in other words as overly French as humanly possible, so much so that an Aussie reading my words would pay 600 quids for a plane ticket, or that a 500 lbs American mouth breather would swim an ocean, both just to kill me. I cannot imagine PN other than as a bottle of piss wantonly thrown on someone.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 21, 2016

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Soooo cooooooooool

Misandry Cannon
Mar 7, 2012
gently caress I wish I could find that interview where he challenged everybody to a crossbow duel.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Misandry Cannon posted:

gently caress I wish I could find that interview where he challenged everybody to a crossbow duel.

I don't think that's in the one I quoted but people should read it anyway, it's hilarious. In particular his characterization of Neige

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You could say... he's taking the piss.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

You could say... he's taking the piss.

Dudes obsessed with pissing and making GBS threads. Take a drink every time in that interview he mentions piss and and you'll be pissing yourself by the end.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

I just saw A Quartet of Swiss Failsons / Mystifier / Rotting Christ / Inquisition. Inquisition may or may not be nazis too ...

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Now that I've got the frog joek out of the way and quarantined in its own post:

• Mystifier are insanely good. Holy moly.
  • Rotting Christ are still insanely bad.
  • Dagon's normal speaking voice reminded me of something. I want to say Dan Castellaneta, but not Homer Simpson. Someone who's heard him speak help me out here, it's killing me

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
a quartet of swiss failsons is a killer band name

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

rotting christ are awful but deep inside there's a good band struggling to get out

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Or rather there's probably something left of their very good early records trying to get out.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
The problem is how much layering and choruses and poo poo going on in their new stuff that just doesn't translate well live at all. When I saw them years ago in a small venue, before they went the direction they are now they sounded great. The issue is their last few albums don't translate live well at all.

Speaking of Inquisition, any of you ever heard their thrash stuff? Managed to snag a vinyl release of their thrash EPs a few years back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh2tBU4HfBE

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Smirr posted:

Now that I've got the frog joek out of the way and quarantined in its own post:

• Mystifier are insanely good. Holy moly.
  • Rotting Christ are still insanely bad.
  • Dagon's normal speaking voice reminded me of something. I want to say Dan Castellaneta, but not Homer Simpson. Someone who's heard him speak help me out here, it's killing me

Mystifier loving kicked rear end at MDF. Real good end to the weekend

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Rotting Christ are great. You're all very wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

Rotting Christ are great. You're all very wrong.

Glad someone said it, sorry all your ears are broken