Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Sometime today is when the Halloween seasonal event starts. It lasts until the second week of November.

So if you're looking for some vanity sets this is your opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I've been playing a new character lately just messing around with a friend in a small world. I typically played melee but now I'm a ranged dude with shroomite armor, a megashark, and a daedallus stormbow. The reaper costume dropped for me so now I just need the shotgun from the dungeon and I can go full

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The next update is in the works and includes:

Dynamic water

And this thing

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

theshim posted:

Well, I'm mostly-blindly loving around. So far, I've built a lovely house, died to lava and falling a lot when I try to dig, killed the Eye and Skeletron, and just found an enchanted sword (which helped a ton with Skeletron). I'm mostly just digging and dying and occasionally finding poo poo. I've made it to both oceans (made a small world) and dug pretty far down in one section of the map (lavalavalava).

It's not entirely my jam, but this game is still a fun way to blow off steam for an hour or two at a time.

Nice, I like to read new players impressions. Since you've killed a couple bosses, think about growing a few plants from seeds you may have picked up to make future bosses a bit easier.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Nice, I like to read new players impressions. Since you've killed a couple bosses, think about growing a few plants from seeds you may have picked up to make future bosses a bit easier.
I'm guessing those can be used to brew buffing potions? I actually found an Alchemy Table sitting around in the Dungeon, so I brought that back to base with me. :2bong:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Potential BFF posted:

The next update is in the works and includes:

Dynamic water

And this thing

The dynamic water looks dope, but I'm trying to figure out what that thing could be related to. Maybe the renovated desert?

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

NEW FINAL BOSS AHOY!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

No Safe Word posted:

Yeah that's why I also always build it basically directly above the midpoint too :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

At least, I assume they still do the whole "stripe of crimson/corruption" and "stripe of hallow" V-shape there it centers below the midpoint of the map still.

I think it centers on the Wall of Flesh, actually, which tends to die in the middle of the map the first time you kill it.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

symbolic posted:

The dynamic water looks dope, but I'm trying to figure out what that thing could be related to. Maybe the renovated desert?

The water is going to get a bunch of settings for performance sake that dictate what specifically interacts with it, just players, player projectiles, etc.

I'd be all on board with more hardmode desert stuff. The flame animation kind of reminds me of the border of the sigil the dungeon cultists gather around.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think it centers on the Wall of Flesh, actually, which tends to die in the middle of the map the first time you kill it.

Nah, definitely the center of the map. I tested this once by going way out to the edge of the map and killing the wall there. Still centered on the map.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It reminds me of a flaming portal.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Looks like a portal to me, too... new dimensions? New Game +?

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji
Hey if you're a newer player following this thread and you just want to dig down/to hell/whatever, consider blowing a bunch of cash on bombs from the vendor.

I started a new world and character and remembered reading about liberal bomb usage early on in this thread, and drat does it work. Meteorites are trivial with this method, too. Eventually, I made a bunch of sticky bombs to do my haphazard sideways digging as well.

What I'm trying to say is: don't be afraid to toss a few mouse clicks in bombs to save you a poo poo ton of meticulously careful mouse clicks to get you back into the action faster

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Smash pots and loot chests for bombs. make sticky bombs with gel because they are 100% better. Or you can fish up bombfish which work exactly like sticky bombs. This lets you basically sequence break the first few hours of the game if you can get a good weapon from a shadow orb or crimson heart.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Does anyone have any experience with setting up a mob farm? The wiki is conspicuously silent on the subject, so I've done my best to approximate it with "large open area + water candle" but...

I'm mostly doing this to try and force a Nymph spawn, as she's the only thing between me and having the PDA 3/4 done.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DoubleNegative posted:

Does anyone have any experience with setting up a mob farm? The wiki is conspicuously silent on the subject, so I've done my best to approximate it with "large open area + water candle" but...

I'm mostly doing this to try and force a Nymph spawn, as she's the only thing between me and having the PDA 3/4 done.

I heard it was best set up in the Underground Snow biome, possibly due to a smaller spawn list, but my tunnel full of water candles produced nothing but Vikings and spiders and I wound up getting the drop while on a grocery run to hell.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DoubleNegative posted:

The most efficient farm design I've found is explained here.

theshim
May 1, 2012

What kind of prep should I do for fighting the Wall of Flesh for the first time? And on the subject of bombs, do sticky bombs work on the Wall?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

theshim posted:

What kind of prep should I do for fighting the Wall of Flesh for the first time? And on the subject of bombs, do sticky bombs work on the Wall?

A long bridge made out of blocks, a ranged or magic weapon that can pierce at least once, and some potions: regeneration, ironskin, and anything else you can easily make. Also Spectre or Lightning Boots. I prefer using the Phoenix Blaster (made from the Handgun) with Crimson or Molten armor.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

theshim posted:

The game is going to change drastically when you kill the Wall, so you might want to finish up any building you were doing, maybe get an herb farm going and explore the jungle, sky islands, and dungeon if you haven't already. You absolutely must have a molten pickaxe or reaver shark.

As for the boss itself, make a nice bridge in hell around a thousand blocks long or more. Wear your frostspark boots. You can get by with waterwalking potions but you really don't want to have to navigate terrain while fighting it the first time. If you're not on expert mode the adds don't respawn, so take them out early. The eyes take more damage per hit so aim for those if you can. It's a lot easier if you bring a good ranged weapon like The Bee's Knees. If all else fails: a Star Cannon with Necro Armor and an ammo reservation potion (bonus points if the traveling salesman sold you an ammo box) can tear though the wall very quickly with a hundred stars or so.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

theshim posted:

Grenades are better, by the way.

I'm annoyed that they made molotovs so annoying to make.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
Re-enact the ending of My Girl and murder his rear end with beenades

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

So I just started out playing because of DoubleNegative's LP and I'm loving Terraria quite a lot.

I have a few questions though.

1) I want to get the sandstorm in a bottle, but AFAIK it only generates in pyramids and even then it's not guaranteed. Is there any way to bulk generate worlds and then check them quickly? Or it's just a matter of going though the loop of generate world > :goleft: > go right > loot if pyramid > repeat?

2) How do you fly up to the floating island layer on a large world if I don't have a gravitation potion? Or is it just better to keep generating small worlds and check those?

3) I was fighting the Eater of Worlds and my arena I guess sticks out a bit too high and apparently it leaves the corruption, making the boss leave. Can I spread the corruption upwards so that doesn't happen again? How do I do that? Just stick a bunch of that purple rock?

4) Does dynamite destroy the blocks in item form? I'm afraid to use it for mining and lose ore in the process.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

HardDiskD posted:

So I just started out playing because of DoubleNegative's LP and I'm loving Terraria quite a lot.

I have a few questions though.

1) I want to get the sandstorm in a bottle, but AFAIK it only generates in pyramids and even then it's not guaranteed. Is there any way to bulk generate worlds and then check them quickly? Or it's just a matter of going though the loop of generate world > :goleft: > go right > loot if pyramid > repeat?

2) How do you fly up to the floating island layer on a large world if I don't have a gravitation potion? Or is it just better to keep generating small worlds and check those?

3) I was fighting the Eater of Worlds and my arena I guess sticks out a bit too high and apparently it leaves the corruption, making the boss leave. Can I spread the corruption upwards so that doesn't happen again? How do I do that? Just stick a bunch of that purple rock?

4) Does dynamite destroy the blocks in item form? I'm afraid to use it for mining and lose ore in the process.

1) don't. it's not worth the effort. Pyramids are vanishingly rare and often aren't visible from the surface.

2) build a nerd pole and a sky bridge after your meteors have landed. Or use a map viewer.

3)Build it out of ebonstone. You need quite a bit on screen for it to stay corrupted. TBH you're better off fighting him down in the flat part of the chasms, especially in expert mode.

4)yes, but be sure to collect the blocks after each stick or else some will despawn.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's a mod that lets you customize world creation so you can make sure to have a pyramid.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terracustom-for-1-3.35346/

theshim
May 1, 2012

Mistakes were made. Foremost among them was triggering Hardmode without actually making a molten pick.

It took me a few tries to get back down to the underworld without getting splattered. Once I did that and grabbed some hellstone, I rapidly went through Cobalt and Orichalcum and now I'm hunting down pockets of Adamantite. I also finally found the goddamn tinkerer (and the wizard), so now I can glue accessories together and make fun things, and I found rocket boots so now I can run fast and fly, which is so goddamn nice.

The pirate invasion randomly showing up was also problematic, I was not geared for them at all. I died at least half a dozen times. I'm finding that I can deal some decent damage with hardmode gear and a couple decent drops, but I still get ripped apart pretty hard. I've got something like 50 defense but I can only realistically squeeze out a few more points, even with full Adamantite gear. Any advice?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Buy a shotgun and gather crystal shards in the underground Hallow to make crystal bullets. You shouldn't have problems with groups of trash mobs now. Then go find/make a corrupted desert and grind dark mummies til they drop 2 dark shards, then grind enemies in the underground crimson for 10 souls of night to upgrade your shotgun to the Onyx Blaster for more crowd control. Go visit your sky islands, you need feathers and souls of flight to make wings. Next time it rains go to the snow biome and kill ice golems for materials to make the frost set, which is a more aggressive sidegrade to your adamantite armor.

You should be ready to fight The Destroyer once you get your Onyx Blaster. Mechanical worms take 6 rotten chunks/vertebrae, 6 souls of night and 5 iron/lead bars to make. Use the Souls of Might you get from this to make the Megashark.

If you're having trouble not dying, you can get another 20 armor rerolling your accessories to warding.

If you don't have an herb farm going yet, you really need to get started on it. Buff potions make a big difference.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 26, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Try to defeat the Twins and then craft the Optic Staff. It's the best summon weapon of early hardmode; and since it's craftable instead of a drop you're guaranteed to get it. Even if you don't play a pure summoner, having something like three pairs of them (summoning potion + bewitching table) will help you deal with enemies more quickly. With summoner gear you can get enough of them that you can so stuff like mining or fishing in peace while they deal with trash mobs. And notably, minions are a great help for overcoming invasions, as you can just hide in a bunker and let them kill everything. Pirates in particular don't have attacks that can go through blocks.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cat Mattress posted:

Try to defeat the Twins and then craft the Optic Staff. It's the best summon weapon of early hardmode; and since it's craftable instead of a drop you're guaranteed to get it.

It needs a black lens. 1% drop rate. :negative:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Oh yeah, if you made a hell bridge you might want to hang out down there with a battle potion and some water candles. Mimics can spawn down there where it's relatively safe and they drop some important accessories.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

1) don't. it's not worth the effort. Pyramids are vanishingly rare and often aren't visible from the surface.

2) build a nerd pole and a sky bridge after your meteors have landed. Or use a map viewer.

3)Build it out of ebonstone. You need quite a bit on screen for it to stay corrupted. TBH you're better off fighting him down in the flat part of the chasms, especially in expert mode.

4)yes, but be sure to collect the blocks after each stick or else some will despawn.

Thanks. :)

Though with in regards with the EoW, this sounds a bit counter intuitive to me, since if I fight it down there it will have a lot of cover and the EoSouls will still spawn a lot in there. I'm not playing in Expert mode yet, though.

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a mod that lets you customize world creation so you can make sure to have a pyramid.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terracustom-for-1-3.35346/

I'm going to check this out later, thanks!

theshim
May 1, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Oh yeah, if you made a hell bridge you might want to hang out down there with a battle potion and some water candles. Mimics can spawn down there where it's relatively safe and they drop some important accessories.
That I will do, I had a couple mimics show up on my rare creature radar thingy but I didn't actually see any of them (except one that gibbed me after a bunch of hardmode enemies had taken me down to critical health).

HardDiskD posted:

Thanks. :)

Though with in regards with the EoW, this sounds a bit counter intuitive to me, since if I fight it down there it will have a lot of cover and the EoSouls will still spawn a lot in there. I'm not playing in Expert mode yet, though.
As a fellow newbie, I found EoW to be really easy - I pretty much facetanked hits and hacked him apart. Sword swings on worms like that hit three or four times a pop and EoW goes down pretty quick, I didn't even need an arena.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

theshim posted:

As a fellow newbie, I found EoW to be really easy - I pretty much facetanked hits and hacked him apart. Sword swings on worms like that hit three or four times a pop and EoW goes down pretty quick, I didn't even need an arena.

It's just that the boss arena thing sounds so fundamental wherever I read about Terraria bosses, but maybe I don't really need to care that much in non-Expert, non-Hardmode worlds.

What also helped me is that a Shadow Orb dropped Vilethorn and that absolutely wrecked him.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Mobility isn't that important for dealing with EOW, so you don't need an arena there. You kind of did need one in the past, but that was because back then the chasms weren't connected and didn't have the horizontal portions, so not having an arena meant fighting it with little room to move around. The horizontal portions of the chasms are all you really need to deal with it.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

If you want to make the early bosses your bitch, I recommend meteor armor and a space gun. Destroy one orb/heart and wait for the meteor to fall the next midnight.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Crimson Harvest posted:

If you want to make the early bosses your bitch, I recommend meteor armor and a space gun. Destroy one orb/heart and wait for the meteor to fall the next midnight.

Speaking of the space gun, I really wish that thing either had upgrades or the zero-cost was no longer tied to meteor armor.

I kind of want to mod those in myself but ughhh.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

RickVoid posted:

Speaking of the space gun, I really wish that thing either had upgrades or the zero-cost was no longer tied to meteor armor.

I kind of want to mod those in myself but ughhh.

There should be a martian madness based armor that makes all magic guns free of cost. Each saucer could drop a power core that you can craft with the conduit plating to make armor.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So the new Onyx Blaster is awesome. Available immediately after starting hard mode with no boss kills. Get it and enjoy it while you can before the fun police find out and nerf the poo poo out of it like always.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

So the new Onyx Blaster is awesome. Available immediately after starting hard mode with no boss kills. Get it and enjoy it while you can before the fun police find out and nerf the poo poo out of it like always.

Yep. It's only slightly worse in raw dps than the tactical shotgun you can't get til post Plantera dungeon. And way better on crowd control by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Bluemillion posted:

There should be a martian madness based armor that makes all magic guns free of cost. Each saucer could drop a power core that you can craft with the conduit plating to make armor.

Yeeessssss.

Space Gun + A Number of Gems could produce a Space Gun with improved damage and knockback, with a higher mana cost. Laser color/damage/mana cost changes based on the gems used, like how the various staves work.