Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Celery Jello posted:

John Romero Is Going To Make You His Switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
The Switcher Wii

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nintendo "Switch Me Out For a Body Double At Work", Because I Will Be Spending All Of My Time Playing The Nintendo Switchtm

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
*in Rick voice from Rick and Morty*
Get Switchy

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Switch better have my money

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

The Switcher Wii

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nintendo switch: the games literally come on amiibo

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just realized that the rumors of it not using CDs are indeed true because there's no way that thing could work if it used CDs.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

they show a little 3ds style card in the video i think

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So consoles are now moving toward 4k and HDR and VR and Nintendo is probably going to put out another underpowered consoles that isn't going to get ports. Okay.

They'd probably do better to market this as a handheld that easily connects to your TV than as a console to compete with the Xbox or Playstation.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Now that Nintendo's patent on cross shaped d-pads have expired and their competitors now have controllers with crosses, Nintendo releases their first controller without one :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i finally just saw the trailer. looks like new 3D Mario. if skyrim didn't require console commands to fix broken quests, i think that would be fun to play with the zany new pull apart controller. i dunno, mario and zelda are exciting, obviously.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I dunno, the main thing with the NS is that Nintendo really hyped this as the thing that would turn everything around for their company. Hell they took a year off E3 and basically skipped the Holiday season this year so they could focus on it but I really don't see this being a system that will change much for them. I mean, it looks fine like any of their systems but I also can't really imagine anyone that isn't already on board with Nintendo giving that much of a poo poo. Like I get that people in the thread are excited because it'd a Nintendo console and it'll have cool Nintendo games but if you don't care about that I have trouble seeing why you'd be excited about this system.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

So consoles are now moving toward 4k and HDR and VR and Nintendo is probably going to put out another underpowered consoles that isn't going to get ports. Okay.

how will nintendo compete with tvs no one has and tech everyone says to hold off on

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

They'd probably do better to market this as a handheld that easily connects to your TV than as a console to compete with the Xbox or Playstation.

I don't think they're marketing it as a console to compete with xbox or playstation. They didn't even try doing that with Wii or WiiU really. Nintendo does their own thing, they have enough awesome first-party games that the consoles still sell, and hopefully they get a few 3rd party games here and there. Its been that way for the last like 4 or 5 console generations dude.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

glam rock hamhock posted:

I dunno, the main thing with the NS is that Nintendo really hyped this as the thing that would turn everything around for their company. Hell they took a year off E3 and basically skipped the Holiday season this year so they could focus on it but I really don't see this being a system that will change much for them. I mean, it looks fine like any of their systems but I also can't really imagine anyone that isn't already on board with Nintendo giving that much of a poo poo. Like I get that people in the thread are excited because it'd a Nintendo console and it'll have cool Nintendo games but if you don't care about that I have trouble seeing why you'd be excited about this system.

For all the hand wringing about why the Wii U wasnt succesful I think it was like 95% the name because people at large thought it was a Wii accessory. My mom called me today to ask if I heard about the new Nintendo, people at large are already more aware that this is something new.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Well, all the games for Scorpio and ps4pro will still support the basic xbone and ps4, right? All Nintendo needs is a console strong enough to manage xbone graphics to get ports. (And if that was Skyrim remastered, then that's not out of the question).

They might be the worst versions graphically, but the market for Nintendo handhelds has always been willing to sacrifice graphics for portability. But agreed that Nintendo should be focusing on dominating the handheld market instead of competing as a home console.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think they're marketing it as a console to compete with xbox or playstation. They didn't even try doing that with Wii or WiiU really. Nintendo does their own thing, they have enough awesome first-party games that the consoles still sell, and hopefully they get a few 3rd party games here and there. Its been that way for the last like 4 or 5 console generations dude.

The problem is that money-wise it didn't work out super will with the Wii U and this does seem to cater to a similar market. That it's getting a Skyrim port is a good sign, because what the Wii U was missing was triple A support. It's probably the system I'll buy next because if I play Mario, Zelda, and like 3-4 other games on it, it's worth the price of admission, which is how I felt about the Wii U, but I don't know that other people are going to think that way.

In Training posted:

For all the hand wringing about why the Wii U wasnt succesful I think it was like 95% the name because people at large thought it was a Wii accessory. My mom called me today to ask if I heard about the new Nintendo, people at large are already more aware that this is something new.

Yeah, that's true. One of Nintendo's strength is being the console for kids and families, and people not knowing a new Nintendo is out really takes a bite out of that market.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I'm buying the NS day one.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Also the Scorpio does not actually exist yet, while the Switch even has a prototype in the goddamn 3 minute trailer.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

VR is poo poo that nobody cares about and will never have any good games period, let alone any worth the price of admission.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

...That it's getting a Skyrim port is a good sign, because what the Wii U was missing was triple A support...

I don't think ports of AAA games that came out over half a decade ago really counts as "triple A support".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chumbler posted:

VR is poo poo that nobody cares about and will never have any good games period, let alone any worth the price of admission.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm Switched on!!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

I don't think ports of AAA games that came out over half a decade ago really counts as "triple A support".

If it's the remastered edition, it's just coming out

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

If it's the remastered edition, it's just coming out

There's no loving way the switch can run the remastered edition, though. It's gonna be a bullshit bait and switch riding the coat-tails of the remaster's marketing.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Snak posted:

It's the first Bethesda game to be released on a Nintendo platform so it's still a pretty big deal, and it's probably not going to be the only game they release for the Switch.

There's also a pretty long list of publishers that are going to release games for the thing, including EA, Activision and Ubisoft. Those guys are pretty much the definition of AAA these days.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

There's no loving way the switch can run the remastered edition, though. It's gonna be a bullshit bait and switch riding the coat-tails of the remaster's marketing.

Eh, I don't see why not. It's supposed to be a pretty powerful system though who knows what the actual specs will be.

Either way it doesn't mean much. Wii U launched with Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed III and Mass Effect 3 and some others but that didn't really say much for it's 3rd party support in the long run.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

Why would they port the original skyrim from like 2010

please listen to yourself

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

There's also a pretty long list of publishers that are going to release games for the thing, including EA, Activision and Ubisoft. Those guys are pretty much the definition of AAA these days.
I remember a similar list at the 3DS launch. Remember how there was gonna be a Saints Row game for that system?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This system seems like it might be great if you are in Japan, where mobile gaming is a real thing. I feel like NA sales are going to be mediocre at best, and when that happens, that AAA support is going to shrivel up and die.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If it's not the remastered edition I'm gonna laugh my rear end off.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I remember a similar list at the 3DS launch. Remember how there was gonna be a Saints Row game for that system?

And, once again. they had a similar list on the Wii-U launch. Maybe THIS will be the time that Nintendo actually does third party right on their console but I don't really see what's so different here where that'd be the case.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I hope it does something other than play Nintendo games and a bunch of old-rear end ports, both because I wish Nintendo financial success as a company as they make fun and good games, and also I would like to purchase a console with a more varied game library than that.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
If the Switch has a similar library to the WiiU then I will be satisfied.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Mordja posted:

If you're making a game for the 3DS you pretty much have to make it from the ground up, but making a port of an Xbox One game should be a lot easier. The cheaper it is to make games for the system, the more games it's going to get.

There's still a good chance those games won't sell and that the Switch is going to lose all 3rd party support within the first year though. At least we'll see more 1st party titles now that they're only making games for one platform rather than two.

E: VVV It's never been confirmed, but it's been implied. They said that the Switch isn't a replacement for either of the other consoles, and they merged their hardware divisions a year or two after the Wii U launched. As far as I know, nothing has been announced for the 3DS for after the NS launch.

If the NS fails miserably they're probably going to try to keep the 3DS going for a while longer though.

LoveBoatCaptain fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 20, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

If you're making a game for the 3DS you pretty much have to make it from the ground up, but making a port of an Xbox One game should be a lot easier. The cheaper it is to make games for the system, the more games it's going to get.

There's still a good chance those games won't sell and that the Switch is going to lose all 3rd party support within the first year though. At least we'll see more 1st party titles now that they're only making games for one platform rather than two.

Wait, are they actually ending the 3DS for this?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

It seems like they're not, but in the same way they didn't end the GBA for the DS. If it flops horrendously, they'll redouble support for 3DS stuff, otherwise it'll just slowly transition into being one platform.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm curious what Platinum's working on for the switch, is it another by the numbers Bayo-quality brawler, or is it something innovative like W-100?

Also thank god it's got sticks, I was afraid the mini controllers would have circle pads

Celery Jello posted:

They're not, but in the same way they didn't end the GBA for the DS. If it flops horrendously, they'll redouble support for 3DS stuff, otherwise it'll just slowly transition into being one platform.

I'm sure the 3ds will remain more popular in Japan and Nintendo is undoubtedly planning their next handheld.

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

No one knows

whenever a console is revealed and people become expert analysts posting their business forecasts a part of me dies

• Locked thread