Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hello revoke my previous extremely good thread titles: call the thread "Thrill-Switch Engage"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Not get the Switch on day one? Pardon me but if that was Super Mario 3D World 2 then you can suck my balls.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oddium posted:

hello revoke my previous extremely good thread titles: call the thread "Thrill-Switch Engage"

I will totally rename this thread that if Palpek doesn't want to use it for the NX thread.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
did anyone say mighty switch force

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Oh poo poo I'm feeling it SWIIIIIIITCH OOOOON

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If it's got a decent launch lineup then it's a day one purchase for me.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Help Im Alive posted:

No one knows

whenever a console is revealed and people become expert analysts posting their business forecasts a part of me dies

Speculating is fun, and there's no way I'm not going to use my otherwise useless degree for something.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bicyclops posted:

The problem is that money-wise it didn't work out super will with the Wii U and this does seem to cater to a similar market. That it's getting a Skyrim port is a good sign, because what the Wii U was missing was triple A support. It's probably the system I'll buy next because if I play Mario, Zelda, and like 3-4 other games on it, it's worth the price of admission, which is how I felt about the Wii U, but I don't know that other people are going to think that way.

Yeah, that's true. One of Nintendo's strength is being the console for kids and families, and people not knowing a new Nintendo is out really takes a bite out of that market.

Yeah, thing is the Wii didn't compete on graphics either and it printed money. But people were fatigued from buying the Wii and didn't even realize the WiiU was a new console, so yeah, didn't sell so hot.

This is much more clearly a new product and has a new name that isn't dumb, it'll probably do pretty well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo the Wii U has only sold 1/5 of the units that the wii sold in the same time frame. Both overall and in the Americas. In Japan, they've sold 1/3 as many.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

And the winner is:

Celery Jello posted:

John Romero Is Going To Make You His Switch
Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll most likely be using some of them when I Switch the thread title again.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

Holy poo poo the Wii U has only sold 1/5 of the units that the wii sold in the same time frame. Both overall and in the Americas. In Japan, they've sold 1/3 as many.

that's kinda better than I thought tbh

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, thing is the Wii didn't compete on graphics either and it printed money. But people were fatigued from buying the Wii and didn't even realize the WiiU was a new console, so yeah, didn't sell so hot.

This is much more clearly a new product and has a new name that isn't dumb, it'll probably do pretty well.

The Wii sold really well because it became the trendy piece of tech that everyone wanted. Once the trend ended, the sales went way down and the system had trouble actually selling games throughout its lifecycle.

The WiiU name was a problem but it also was an underpowered system with a slow trickle of games, nothing that really appealed to gamers outside of their core and a gimmick that even Nintendo gave up within the first year. The name was a factor but it wasn't the only factor.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

tap my mountain posted:

I'm sure the 3ds will remain more popular in Japan and Nintendo is undoubtedly planning their next handheld.

Any reason why you think this? It seems like if someone likes the 3DS they will probably like this new console, since it pretty much fills the same role and will have a bigger games library going forward, plus you can plug it into your teevee and continue to game on the big screen.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Black Lodge Palpek posted:

And the winner is:

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll most likely be using some of them when I Switch the thread title again.

why romero and not kimishima or miyamoto

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

that's kinda better than I thought tbh

Maybe the numbers will make it look worse to again. The Wii U has only shipped 6.2 million units in the Americas between Dec 31, 2012 and July 30, 2016.So, the first 3.5 years. In the first 3.5 years of the Wii's release, they had shipped 35.2 million. And since then, they've shipped another 13.4 million.

That's pretty loving bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Any reason why you think this? It seems like if someone likes the 3DS they will probably like this new console, since it pretty much fills the same role and will have a bigger games library going forward, plus you can plug it into your teevee and continue to game on the big screen.

It having a bigger library if games going forward is only true if they are going to stop supporting the 3DS, which as far as I can tell there is no confirmation of right now.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

oddium posted:

🎶 nintendora suichi~ 🎶

I appreciated this

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

glam rock hamhock posted:

It having a bigger library if games going forward is only true if they are going to stop supporting the 3DS, which as far as I can tell there is no confirmation of right now.

Is there confirmation that Nintendo rolled all their dev teams together rather than having WiiU teams and 3DS teams? Because if all of Nintendo's internal development teams are making games for one console now instead of two, then there's going to be a bigger library and a bigger release slate year-on-year.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Red Bones posted:

Is there confirmation that Nintendo rolled all their dev teams together rather than having WiiU teams and 3DS teams? Because if all of Nintendo's internal development teams are making games for one console now instead of two, then there's going to be a bigger library and a bigger release slate year-on-year.

What I'm saying is there is no confirmation that I know if that they are just going to be developing for the NS outside of people just randomly assuming that in this thread

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Red Bones posted:

Just because its portable doesn't mean it's as easy to toss into your bag or pocket like a 3ds, the sticks in particular will hurt portability a bit. Also it's really cheap to develop for the 3ds.

Besides if they ditch the 3ds, they'll have to put the next pokemon game on a console and we all know that can't happen

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I gotta say that the hardware looks intriguing but what I'm more excited for than anything are just more Nintendo games

the Wii U sucked from a sales perspective but it had a lot of really great, unique games on it that nobody else in the industry seems to be making and you can really only get from Nintendo

I love my Wii U

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know what the Switch needs? A skateboarding game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Or snowboarding. SSX Switchy.

LoveBoatCaptain
Aug 26, 2008

Celebrate as all our past ways wither, lead the way to an age of light

Red Bones posted:

They merged the hardware teams, not their software teams and there's no way of knowing if they did it with the intention of only having one platform, or because they wanted to have better cross-platform functionality. They never had Wii U teams or 3DS teams, but rather teams that work on specific games. Even if they decide to focus on just the Switch there will never be official confirmation, they'll just phase out the 3DS quietly like they did with the Gameboy line.

Edit:

tap my mountain posted:

Just because its portable doesn't mean it's as easy to toss into your bag or pocket like a 3ds, the sticks in particular will hurt portability a bit. Also it's really cheap to develop for the 3ds.

Besides if they ditch the 3ds, they'll have to put the next pokemon game on a console and we all know that can't happen

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/20/12986612/pokemon-nintendo-nx

LoveBoatCaptain fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 20, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Man I dunno, this thing doesn't really seem like a true replacement for the 3DS. You can't just whip this huge thing out of a bag and play like you can with a more traditional handheld like the 3DS or the Vita

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

Maybe the numbers will make it look worse to again. The Wii U has only shipped 6.2 million units in the Americas between Dec 31, 2012 and July 30, 2016.So, the first 3.5 years. In the first 3.5 years of the Wii's release, they had shipped 35.2 million. And since then, they've shipped another 13.4 million.

That's pretty loving bad.

Have you considered having fun playing mario instead of worrying about sales figures

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Seriously if anything their desperation for sales created some of their best games in decades.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Have you considered having fun playing mario instead of worrying about sales figures

I've never played a non mariokart, non marioparty, mario game for more than like 10 minutes.

I'm sure as gently caress not shelling out $300+ for a console that can't play mainstream AAA titles.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So now that we know what Nintendo's next console actually is, remember when people thought that its controller would be completely buttonless because of a patent drawing?

:lol:

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Well I said this in the wrong thread!!! I am the worst mod.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Snak posted:

I've never played a non mariokart, non marioparty, mario game for more than like 10 minutes.

I'm sure as gently caress not shelling out $300+ for a console that can't play mainstream AAA titles.

Do Nintendo games not count as AAA titles? The Wii U seriously has a ridiculously good lineup of exclusives. 3D World/Smash/Mario Kart/Pikmin/Splatoon/Wind Waker/Tropical Freeze/Bayonetta/Mario Maker/Captain Toad/#FE/Paper Mario/I know I'm forgetting some

It's great

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

The logo for the console looks pretty lame imo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

Is there even space in the market for a third conventional console? A Bloodborne machine, a Mario machine, and a Halo machine that otherwise do 95% of the same thing?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Kirby Superscare! posted:

If the Switch has a similar library to the WiiU then I will be satisfied.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, if nintendo just stopped with consoles and made games for sony and microsoft consoles, I would buy almost every nintendo game. As it is, I buy almost zero

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

So now that we know what Nintendo's next console actually is, remember when people thought that its controller would be completely buttonless because of a patent drawing?

:lol:

The real tragedy here is the backburnering of what was sure to be the next big Nintendo franchise; Alpine Stickman

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Snak posted:

*Plays Mario until jumping onto the first goomba* whelp looks like I've seen enough, all you do is jump on stuff in this game

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

LoveBoatCaptain posted:

They merged the hardware teams, not their software teams and there's no way of knowing if they did it with the intention of only having one platform, or because they wanted to have better cross-platform functionality. They never had Wii U teams or 3DS teams, but rather teams that work on specific games. Even if they decide to focus on just the Switch there will never be official confirmation, they'll just phase out the 3DS quietly like they did with the Gameboy line.

Edit:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/20/12986612/pokemon-nintendo-nx

Ahh, ok, thank you for the clarification. I think it makes a lot of sense for them to just focus on developing for the one console going forward, but like you say, I think it's dependent on the console being a success. There's no word on the battery life yet, but outside of that I really think the only thing preventing the Switch from being something you can stick in your bag and play on your commute or whatever is a protective case like you can buy for pretty much any model of phone currently on the market, which seems like a pretty realistic proposition? Just something to cover the screen with a couple of divots to house the thumbsticks. It doesn't look any less portable than a tablet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

*Plays Mario until jumping onto the first goomba* whelp looks like I've seen enough, all you do is jump on stuff in this game

I didn't grow up playing sidescrolling platformers like mario, and I find them stupidly difficult. Like, I can't play Mario. It's funny to watch me, I just miss every jump and die constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

There better be Mario Maker.

• Locked thread