Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I wonder if the Joy-cons are named after the Hudson Joycards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

There better be Mario Maker.

We don't know if the tablet has a touchscreen :(

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Monkey Fracas posted:

The real tragedy here is the backburnering of what was sure to be the next big Nintendo franchise; Alpine Stickman

he's shooting giant lizards in gaming valhalla

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tap my mountain posted:

I wonder if the Joy-cons are named after the Hudson Joycards

As long as they eventually come out with Gun, Jog, and Neg-cons.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

devtesla posted:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Something that just occurred to me regarding usage shown in the teaser is that if they want people to take it to a friend's place or some other group gathering for multiplayer, they should make the standard AC adapter support two being plugged in, because there's no way this thing is going to have sufficient battery life. Being able to run two off of one cord would make the portable multiplayer aspect a lot easier than both having to lug around an adapter.

All in all I think this is a neat idea, and I don't really care too much about underpowered hardware or whatever as long as art direction is good and it's not a glorified 3ds.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
So this Switch thing is going to be digital only, right? SD support and internal storage could translate to 'lol have fun download your games gently caress physical media'

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Archer666 posted:

So this Switch thing is going to be digital only, right? SD support and internal storage could translate to 'lol have fun download your games gently caress physical media'

You see a game cartridge in the video.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Archer666 posted:

It appears to have 3DS like game cards.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Like seriously, Nintendo are the last company that would go digital only.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

I mean, if nintendo just stopped with consoles and made games for sony and microsoft consoles, I would buy almost every nintendo game. As it is, I buy almost zero

Its unfortunate, but like people who pirate HBO just to watch Game of Thrones, they mostly don't care. They make more off the big package deal than they would selling software ala carte. Or at least they believe they would.

glam rock hamhock posted:

It appears to have 3DS like game cards.

If it has compatibility with actual 3DS cards that'd rule, although I'm not expecting it.

If it can download games you've already bought digitally for 3DS and run them I'd be so happy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Its unfortunate, but like people who pirate HBO just to watch Game of Thrones, they mostly don't care. They make more off the big package deal than they would selling software ala carte. Or at least they believe they would.
And that's fine. It's my loss, more than theirs, but I can't justify buying a nintendo console in addition to a "real" console. I did recently buy a 3ds, though, so I'm onthat bandwagon. Maybe. i haven't touched it in weeks. I got my money's worth, though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"I bought a Switch to give kids something to cry about."

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Every time somebody suggests that Nintendo should develop for other consoles, a Metroid game gets cancelled

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Every time somebody suggests that Nintendo should develop for other consoles, a Metroid game gets cancelled

Given how bad the last metroid games have been (I hear), it needs to get suggested more often...

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Snak posted:

Given how bad the last metroid games have been (I hear), it needs to get suggested more often...

you're really bringing down the excitement here, snak. have you considered loving games?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

you're really bringing down the excitement here, snak. have you considered loving games?

One of us, one of us, one of us...

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

devtesla posted:

Read, you fool.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lizard Wizard posted:

Read, you fool.

We have no confirmation for anything on that list, so we still know nothing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the nintendo consoles are real. link is real and he's strong, and he's my friend

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Snak posted:

And that's fine. It's my loss, more than theirs, but I can't justify buying a nintendo console in addition to a "real" console

this is a real weird sentence my dude, nintendo consoles are real consoles

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I played Super Mario Maker every day for like 6 months, I hope it goes along with the Switch.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

boy are my arms tired posted:

this is a real weird sentence my dude, nintendo consoles are real consoles

I would argue, the realest

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

samus is shaking her head inside her helmet and powering down her ship because of snak's mean comments. clap your hands if you want samus to fly the galaxy again.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
If you like Nintendo games please buy the 3DS/Wii U and also the Switch

if not please don't you probably won't like the Nintendo Game Box

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I hope there is some backwards compatibility so I can continue to get mileage out of some great games without having a lot of stuff plugged into my TV

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello everybody, how is everyone doing today?

I just got back from going to a local bar/tavern thing and it was fun, had some good food (a good burger and some good chili), and I saw that they had beer for sale that wasn't just budweiser and stuff like that. I've always been told that budweiser and poo poo are all absolutely awful and people only get them because they're cheap and they want a quick buzz but I've never had any of that stuff so idk. They did have a beer called Sweet Baby Jesus that I remember a goon suggesting people try out. Have any of you ever heard of/tried Sweet Baby Jesus, or do any of you have any recommendations for beers as a person who hasn't really tried any before?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i don't think i'd miss a touchscreen except in mario maker. wonderful 101 kind of used it but the fighting stick inputs were way faster and better

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Phantasium posted:

I played Super Mario Maker every day for like 6 months, I hope it goes along with the Switch.

Here's the thing: if they made SMM for the Switch it would mean that a major feature of the game would only work when it's not connected to a TV. That's why I'm skeptical when people say it has a touchscreen, because that's the kind of thing that would blur the portable/console hybrid thing they're going for.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

FirstAidKite posted:

I just got back from going to a local bar/tavern thing and it was fun, had some good food (a good burger and some good chili), and I saw that they had beer for sale that wasn't just budweiser and stuff like that. I've always been told that budweiser and poo poo are all absolutely awful and people only get them because they're cheap and they want a quick buzz but I've never had any of that stuff so idk. They did have a beer called Sweet Baby Jesus that I remember a goon suggesting people try out. Have any of you ever heard of/tried Sweet Baby Jesus, or do any of you have any recommendations for beers as a person who hasn't really tried any before?

Well, it's a porter, so it's automatically better than anything lighter than it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yeah i'm also thinking a touchscreen would mean not being able to use the pro 100% of the time which is my goal here

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mordja posted:

Well, it's a porter, so it's automatically better than anything lighter than it.

What is a porter, versus every other kind of word related to beer

I dunno the difference between whatever stouts, porters, ales, or any of that stuff

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

oddium posted:

why romero and not kimishima or miyamoto
Ok ok jeez

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm going to give an unpopular opinion and say that until you're actually used to beer it really doesn't matter if you start off drinking Bud or Coor's or whatever. They're all likely to taste like crap at first.

You might want to stay away from IPAs because they'll taste more bitter. And in keeping with that, Sweet Baby Jesus sounds really good. I love maltier beers like that one but based on other people I know who are not much into beer, even those taste bad when you're starting out.

If your town has any sour beer options, that's a good option to try out.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

What is a porter, versus every other kind of word related to beer

I dunno the difference between whatever stouts, porters, ales, or any of that stuff

Ah Porters as well as Stouts are beers made with roasted malts, giving them a dark color and a mild-to-strong coffee/chocolate sorta character in addition to the regular ...beer-ey flavor

good stuff but people who only like domestics may be kinda put off by them as they're pretty different

I feel like wheat beers are good entry points into the Beer That Isn't Budweiser segment

in general things with higher ABVs will have stronger flavors (although this isn't always true) so try and pick out a lower one if you don't want to get slapped with malt and hops

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 20, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

poo poo i'm too late to suggest Games > Nintendo Switch - Not A Verse to Change

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gaaah games thread I have been so exhausted these past few days I overslept by like five hours today. :negative:

Glad to hear the new nintendo thing sounds cool, but I also know I'm not going to get it because I don't have a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I've lived in hipster cities so long I can't even fathom what it'd be like going to a bar that only offered Bud and Coors and the other big names

• Locked thread