Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

Given how bad the last metroid games have been (I hear), it needs to get suggested more often...

The last game featuring Samus Aran was Zero Mission and it's one of the best games ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Good Switch Blenda

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Poor jeb, doing blender videos for youtube

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lobok posted:

If your town has any sour beer options, that's a good option to try out.

I absolutely do not like sour flavors, why are sour beers a good option to try out?

Monkey Fracas posted:

I feel like wheat beers are good entry points into the Beer That Isn't Budweiser segment

in general things with higher ABVs will have stronger flavors (although this isn't always true) so try and pick out a lower one if you don't want to get slapped with malt and hops

How can I tell if something is a wheat beer? Also, what is ABV? Alcohol by volume?

Looper posted:

I've lived in hipster cities so long I can't even fathom what it'd be like going to a bar that only offered Bud and Coors and the other big names

Yeah there are still plenty of bars around here that apparently only serve coors and bud so it was weird seeing this big cooler section with all kinds of beer names I'd never heard of like "Heavy Seas" and poo poo

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

IPAs are a good way to ease yourself into drinking beers that aren't lagers, Kite. They are like the next level up from lagers (although there are nice lagers that are not Budweiser et al), and then once you are used to IPAs you can start drinking darker, hoppier beers. That's how I did it, anyway. There's so many fancy craft beers available nowadays that I tend to just order whatever at a bar and see how it goes, it's more fun than drinking the same thing every time you go out with your buds. Enjoy the variety!

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I will be buying the Nintendo gamebox at some point even if not day one because Pikmin 4 and Marios and such. I'm glad the gimmick is less dumb this time, though those baby controllers did make me laugh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

Hello everybody, how is everyone doing today?

I just got back from going to a local bar/tavern thing and it was fun, had some good food (a good burger and some good chili), and I saw that they had beer for sale that wasn't just budweiser and stuff like that. I've always been told that budweiser and poo poo are all absolutely awful and people only get them because they're cheap and they want a quick buzz but I've never had any of that stuff so idk. They did have a beer called Sweet Baby Jesus that I remember a goon suggesting people try out. Have any of you ever heard of/tried Sweet Baby Jesus, or do any of you have any recommendations for beers as a person who hasn't really tried any before?

American Lagers are just water with the homeopathic memory of being beer, they're not beer. Avoid them. This includes Budweiser, Coors, etc. The "Light" or "Lite" versions are even worse. Never drink them.

Beers for people who don't like beer: Hefeweizens and Belgian Wheats. Nice tasty beers.
Stay away from dark Stouts or IPAs until you have a strong taste for beer.

Shock Top is pretty good stuff that's widely available. Blue Moon, anything by New Belgium Brewing Co. (Although again, avoid the IPAs for now)

Sweet Baby Jesus I haven't had but googling it, its a Dark Porter with chocolate and peanut, I probably wouldn't drink that as your first ever beer unless you wanna be turned off.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Red Bones posted:

IPAs are a good way to ease yourself into drinking beers that aren't lagers, Kite. They are like the next level up from lagers (although there are nice lagers that are not Budweiser et al), and then once you are used to IPAs you can start drinking darker, hoppier beers. That's how I did it, anyway. There's so many fancy craft beers available nowadays that I tend to just order whatever at a bar and see how it goes, it's more fun than drinking the same thing every time you go out with your buds. Enjoy the variety!

What is the difference between an IPA and a lager, and what should I look for to figure out which is which?

e: well ^^ That post answers some of that at least :D thanks!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

FirstAidKite posted:

What is a porter, versus every other kind of word related to beer

I dunno the difference between whatever stouts, porters, ales, or any of that stuff

Different types of beer made with different types of hops that have different tastes.

Generally speaking you should go for lightly colored amber beers if you're not used to beer, leave the dark brown ones for later.

Lagers are light beers with low bitterness, but American Lagers aren't really beer and are poo poo. Avoid.

Ales are kinda light brown, between the amber gold beers and the dark brown beers. Some are quite good, medium bitter, medium taste.

Stouts are strong beers usually with a chocolate or coffee taste, like Guinness. Good poo poo but you gotta grow to like the taste of beer first.

IPAs or Indian Pale Ales are beers originally designed to survive extremely long ship voyages, and as such are EXTRA bitter. Avoid if you're not a regular beer drinker, although lots of people swear by them.

Hefeweisen is German wheat beer, nice and tasty. Belgian wheat beers are also nice tasty wheat beers. Start with those and go darker as you get used to the taste.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zaphod42 posted:

American Lagers are just water with the homeopathic memory of being beer, they're not beer. Avoid them. This includes Budweiser, Coors, etc. The "Light" or "Lite" versions are even worse. Never drink them.

Beers for people who don't like beer: Hefeweizens and Belgian Wheats. Nice tasty beers.
Stay away from dark Stouts or IPAs until you have a strong taste for beer.

Shock Top is pretty good stuff that's widely available. Blue Moon, anything by New Belgium Brewing Co. (Although again, avoid the IPAs for now)

Sweet Baby Jesus I haven't had but googling it, its a Dark Porter with chocolate and peanut, I probably wouldn't drink that as your first ever beer unless you wanna be turned off.

Would you say a Dark Stout is the Dark Souls of beers?

Sorry couldn't help myself

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

What is the difference between an IPA and a lager, and what should I look for to figure out which is which?

e: well ^^ That post answers some of that at least :D thanks!

IPAs are just called IPAs, they're very bitter so you end up drinking them slowly. This makes them easier to appreciate, and it can keep you from drinking too much too fast.

They're popular, I think because people feel like they're superior for liking something very bitter? But yea they can still be very good.

If you see something you like in the grocery store look them up online, there's lots of sites of folks talking about beer and you can find good stuff that way. My favorite kind is Saison, which is also called Farmhouse Ale. They are easy to drink but also taste really rich, and some have really high alcohol content so they're dangerous lol.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Don't like bitter beers, don't like hoppy beers so it's porters, stouts, and (some) wheat beers for me.

Of course the real best beer to get started with is

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

How can I tell if something is a wheat beer? Also, what is ABV? Alcohol by volume?

Yep, more booze/volume.

You'll just have to ask what's a wheat beer and what isn't- I'm sure the bartender at a place like that would know. They've got a pretty mild flavor compared to a lot of other craft beers.

By no means limit yourself to them though- if you're feeling saucy try an IPA, a typically pretty-hoppy high-ish ABV beer that almost every brewery makes at least one of one of due to their popularity.

Or a Pale Ale, basically the little brother of the IPA in terms of hoppiness and typical ABV.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The taps in the bar or the sign behind the bar will generally tell you what kind of beer it is (IPA, Amber, lager, etc). Otherwise just ask the barman/woman/person because they will probably know exactly what they all are from having to explain it to patrons every night for weeks.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Oh hey, beer chat. Craft brands vary with local, but Summer Wheat or Lemon Shandy are good, light beers to start with. Through most of college I didn't like the taste of beer and drank stricktly whiskey. Developing you pallet to include beer will do you a lot of favors in life, just broadening your horizons in general really. What I'd recommend is a little unorthodox, but if there's a bar near you with a large variety on tap and you go during slow hours, you can talk to the bar tender about your situation and ask for samples of their recommendations. Pay for at least two and tip well, but you can get a sip of an IPA and a lager and learn the difference and hopefully find something you like.

This also sounds dumb, but you're going to have to power through the taste for the first few beers. It takes time to develop a tolerance to the distinct beer flavor, but drink a few at a time a few times a month and you'll know what you like.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I appreciate all of the help everybody :)

Though maybe with all of this "getting used to the taste" business, maybe I shouldn't bother since I have a drink maybe once every 6 to 8 months at most

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I welcome the coming hops shortage so that maybe the beer aisles at stores will stop being 3/4 IPAs. Good lord that fad of horrible beers needs to die.

Also porters generally and some stouts should be treated more like dessert beers.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 20, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trust me Kite, you're looking for Hefeweizens. Most companies make at least one and they should all be fine. Hefes are the boss :cheeky: Just tell the waiter you want a Hefeweizen or a wheat beer and they'll know. Even American brewing company Hefes are fine.

Do not trust anybody who tells you to start with IPAs. They're popular with hipsters because most people hate them, although that's not to say nobody actually likes them, just that it is a VERY aquired taste.

FirstAidKite posted:

Though maybe with all of this "getting used to the taste" business, maybe I shouldn't bother since I have a drink maybe once every 6 to 8 months at most

Shock Top is basically orange juice in beer form, its super delicious. Beers like that you won't have to 'get used to'.

Its the dark stouts like Guinness or the strong bitter IPAs that take getting used to. But if you drink a few shock tops or blue moons, you'll get a feel for it (while not being disgusted) and then you'll suddenly start liking the IPAs. (or not)

That's a great way to get started. When friends of mine tell me they don't like the taste of beer, I order them a Shock Top and they almost always realize they just don't like dark beers.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 20, 2016

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

chumbler posted:

I welcome the coming hops shortage so that maybe the beer aisles at stores will stop being 3/4 IPAs. Good lord that fad of horrible beers needs to die.

I like IPAs a whole lot but the amount of love some people have for them is insane.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

IPAs are too bitter for my taste, and stouts are too strong. But finding a nice middle ground with wheat has served me just fine and I've many great times with it and friends (and without, can't watch a debate sober)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zaphod42 posted:

Shock Top is pretty good stuff that's widely available.

Please don't drink Shock Top, it's the Budweiser of wheat beers

It's the one beer that I'd turn down if somebody offered me one

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I do not care for IPA's, but then I also really just prefer ciders even when they're very dry because I dunno, apple taste is good.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

started playing darkest dungeon finally. dig the gently caress out of the voice acting. the collector is a loving rear end in a top hat who owned an entire team

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So did I miss any actual specs I wanna know if the Switch is a rebranded shield so I can lol a whole bunch.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TheHoosier posted:

started playing darkest dungeon finally. dig the gently caress out of the voice acting. the collector is a loving rear end in a top hat who owned an entire team

Spoilered in case you want to figure it out on your own (or already know it), but the biggest gameplay thing to realize in Darkest Dungeon is stuns and other crowd control are extremely good. Past the first couple dungeons you lose damage races hard, so the game becomes significantly about damage mitigation and avoidance.

Also don't use your food to heal unless you're desperate.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

A good way to start on stouts is with Left Hand's Milk Stout. It's so smooth and creamy even people who hate beer will like it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lumping all IPAs in together doesn't really work. Hoppier ones have certainly been the trend for several years now but there's still plenty of great ones lower down the IBU scale. I usually find 50-60 is my upper limit depending on the other qualities because higher than that starts to taste like I'm drinking liquid aluminum but under that I enjoy lots of IPAs.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the UK-style IPAs aren't nearly as hoppy and tend to use hops with more floral and less citrusy character

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I thought the over representation of IPAs was just a coastal thing until I went to the local microbrewery and 7 out of 11 of their beers on tap were IPAs, but that didn't stop me from getting their hoppiest one :dva:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

tap my mountain posted:

I thought the over representation of IPAs was just a coastal thing until I went to the local microbrewery and 7 out of 11 of their beers on tap were IPAs, but that didn't stop me from getting their hoppiest one :dva:

Really hoppy beers make me wonder the same thing as super hot spice: is there any other detectable flavour in there when it's so strong?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lizard Wizard posted:

There better be Mario Maker.

Gamers will riot if there isn't

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bloodychill posted:

I do not care for IPA's, but then I also really just prefer ciders even when they're very dry because I dunno, apple taste is good.

yeah why break your tongue getting used to lovely beer when you could just grab some nice cider

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Lobok posted:

Really hoppy beers make me wonder the same thing as super hot spice: is there any other detectable flavour in there when it's so strong?

It really depends on the hops, if you load it up with cascade it's going to taste exactly like every other citrusy IPA. Different hops have different flavor and aroma.

I had a Imperial IPA made with Warrior hops and it was just as filling as other Imp IPAs but it wasn't as overwhelmingly bitter and I could still taste the malts.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

i don't think i'd miss a touchscreen except in mario maker. wonderful 101 kind of used it but the fighting stick inputs were way faster and better

The only other game I can think of that used it well was Splatoon with the map but that can be solved in game with like two button presses so it's not a big loss

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Looper posted:

yeah why break your tongue getting used to lovely beer when you could just grab some nice cider

Cider is legit and the people who pretend it's a baby drink are dumbasses. I love me some dry rear end Granny Smith Woodchuck

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The most enjoyment I've gotten from beer snobbery is getting rich off of pale ales in Stardew Valley.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

My local gas station has woodchuck cider plus angry orchard cider :cheers:

I'm drinking a Karbach beer right now though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

In Training posted:

The only other game I can think of that used it well was Splatoon with the map but that can be solved in game with like two button presses so it's not a big loss

stylus controls are the one true scheme for Pikmin 3

I wish there were more games with some kind of photography mode

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I'll have a water on the rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

tap my mountain posted:

Cider is legit and the people who pretend it's a baby drink are dumbasses. I love me some dry rear end Granny Smith Woodchuck

That may be my favorite. Some of the Woodchuck seasonals are quite nice too .

• Locked thread