Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Kind of wonder how they'll explain all mutants being dead and what year it is. It has to at least be 2030.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Hollismason posted:

Kind of wonder how they'll explain all mutants being dead and what year it is. It has to at least be 2030.

Well Apocalypse would have been a great way but silly me for thinking they plan and coordinate these movies together.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollismason posted:

Between Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, the timeline is so, so, so convoluted that God only knows when what's happening (and I don't think Mangold really gives a poo poo about continuity so much as he wants to tell a story).

Eriq LaSalle's role has been kept secret. If he's Sinister, that would be some incredible casting.

Lobok posted:

Well Apocalypse would have been a great way but silly me for thinking they plan and coordinate these movies together.

I like it better that way. I hate all this universe bullshit. Just show and tell me a good story. Why is Xavier alive in Days of Future Past? Who gives a poo poo, his presence makes the story work. Fine with me.

Timby fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 20, 2016

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Between the original movies/First Class series/Wolverines/Deadpool they clearly don't care much about continuity and it's totally fine. Logan looks great.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hollismason posted:

Probably a Legacy Virus outbreak, which would explain Wolverine surviving through it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Timby posted:

I like it better that way. I hate all this universe bullshit. Just show and tell me a good story. Why is Xavier alive in Days of Future Past? Who gives a poo poo, his presence makes the story work. Fine with me.

You know I agree, I generally don't care but in this particular case I think it would have been cool to have Apocalypse pull off something big and terrible and then we can see the fallout of it in Logan.

But the flip side is requiring these already-shaky Fox films to be based on one another and potentially placing the yoke of a bad movie around the neck of a good one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Between the original movies/First Class series/Wolverines/Deadpool they clearly don't care much about continuity and it's totally fine. Logan looks great.

Yeah, that's why I'm really pumped for Logan. Jackman kept saying that while he wanted to do Wolverine 3, he'd only do it with a good script, Mangold is a great director (I have this crazy love for his 3:10 to Yuma remake and a soft spot for The Wolverine), the photography looks great, and it just feels like both Jackman and Mangold told Fox and Kinberg, "gently caress your X-universe or whatever. we're doing what we want."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

R-rated international Logan trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1aSAQ1CibQ

As usual, only one scene was added to make it a red band trailer.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

They've said that the film takes place in 2024 and that the story behind the lack of mutants is that they're in decline due to unknown reasons.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Timby posted:

Eriq LaSalle's role has been kept secret.

Oh poo poo, he's in this? Now I'm extra hyped.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Short new clip from Dr. Strange showing the beginning of a fight scene with Mads. Some neat effects and I like the little touch of Dr. Strange's fight choreography emphasizing that he is a giant pussy and doesn't know how to fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj96BTSJ8yE

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Short new clip from Dr. Strange showing the beginning of a fight scene with Mads. Some neat effects and I like the little touch of Dr. Strange's fight choreography emphasizing that he is a giant pussy and doesn't know how to fight.

I know it was an early fight scene in the movie, since Strange clearly isn't used to fighting or magical combat, but is it me or was it just kinda boring? Like, I guess it's a fight scene? Mads' character and the ninjas were bland.

The music felt waaay out of place, almost had me waiting to see captain kirk fight a lizard dude, or King Kong jump out from behind a tree.

The monofilament magic whip is sorta neat, I guess.

Very Matrix-y, but not nearly as dynamic or interesting, even with the caveat that one of the dudes fighting can't fight.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 21, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm pretty sure if I saw that in 3D I'd throw up.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

Probably a Legacy Virus outbreak, which would explain Wolverine surviving through it.

they could even bs that into a reason why he's aged, his healing factor is so focused on stopping the virus in him from killing him that it can't do anything else

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Brother Entropy posted:

they could even bs that into a reason why he's aged, his healing factor is so focused on stopping the virus in him from killing him that it can't do anything else

Ahhh, the Deadpool effect. Which of course doesn't make sense that he would still be able to heal himself from massive trauma. At least with Deadpool you could say that since his body already HAD cancer/was burned before his mutant powers kicked in his body just treated it as the normal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
A bland marvel movie??? IMPOSSIBLE

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

C'mon Fox, you know you want an X-Men movie directed by Zhang Yimou with Chinese people replacing all the white people (we can keep Storm black etc even if that botches some of the returns in Asian markets).
You probably could too, but why would you want to? Zhang hasn't made a good movie in almost 15 years.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is he making that Great Wall movie with Matt Damon?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Zhang hasn't made a good movie in almost 15 years.
That's exactly why I'm having him move into comic book movies

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That's exactly why I'm having him move into comic book movies
Touche.

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Jackman's transormation is almost unbelievable. He was perfectly ok in the first movie. Now he's carved out of wood. I thought his cardiovascular system was going to jump out of his body and become the main character when he chopped wood in the Wolverine.

I remember reading about him being cast as Wolverine in Wizard magazine back in the day (holy smokes do they still print Wizard?!) and people were pissed. I guess the majority wanted Danzig to be Wolverine. I personally thought that Jackman was too pretty to play Wolvie, but I can not imagine anyone else playing him now.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Try and imagine a world where people are having this conversation but it's about Dougray Scott instead of Hugh Jackman. Go on, try.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TetsuoTW posted:

Try and imagine a world where people are having this conversation but it's about Dougray Scott instead of Hugh Jackman. Go on, try.
I think we all know it should've been Bob Hoskins.

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

That would have ruled! RIP Bob.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

With X23 in this movie, I want more scenes like this (from Underworld 4):

http://i.imgur.com/kWyHcQu.mp4

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh to live in a world where we got to hear Bob Hoskins cry out "THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, MORPH!"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Drifter posted:

Ahhh, the Deadpool effect. Which of course doesn't make sense that he would still be able to heal himself from massive trauma. At least with Deadpool you could say that since his body already HAD cancer/was burned before his mutant powers kicked in his body just treated it as the normal.

Claw Man heal really fast. But now Claw Man has cold so he not heal as fast!

There, I have put as much thought into it as it deserves.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The MSJ posted:

With X23 in this movie, I want more scenes like this (from Underworld 4):
Uhhhh gross.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=8VhrAM9XzGA&video_start=0&audio=vHo7npmGcHU&audio_start=0

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Gotta love Strange's one magic hand-shield fizzling out. It's as if Tony Stark built his first suit and the flamethrower only works after he bangs it against the wall a few times.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Good trailer and tune for Logan. I liked what I saw and am looking forward to it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I loved Holbrook in Narcos so it's cool to see him in Logan. I didn't notice his metal hand at first so I'm guessing he's met Logan before the movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Behold Cumberbatch trying to maintain a consistent accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzQktI1d1zs

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Grendels Dad posted:

Gotta love Strange's one magic hand-shield fizzling out. It's as if Tony Stark built his first suit and the flamethrower only works after he bangs it against the wall a few times.

I didn't like this at all, actually. Felt forced and distanced me from an already pretty plodding fight scene (from a technical standpoint).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

The closest I can think of is the one in the mansion fight in X2 ... which is then wrecked by the terrible immediate follow-up shot of him tossing the two dudes he stabbed behind him.

My favorite thing about the mansion fight is that the studio wanted to cut it own and make it a lot less violent because they were worried audiences wouldn't be cool with Wolverine murdering a ton of people. The screenwriter, Solid Snake, had to insist that as long as the soldiers wore masks and pointed guns at kids, audiences would be cool with whatever Wolverine did to them

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The MSJ posted:

Behold Cumberbatch trying to maintain a consistent accent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzQktI1d1zs

This is terrible. Usually the Kimmel stuff is great.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Dr. Strange just had it's critic review screening. Embargo is going to be lifted shortly, so the full reviews will be out soon.

First reactions:

CinemaBlend

quote:

Prepare to dig #DoctorStrange! Not the strongest script, but it legitimately adds new colors to the MCU, and the action is beautiful & crazy

Collider:

quote:

DOCTOR STRANGE is unlike any previous Marvel movie and that’s why I love it. They keep pushing boundaries and make it look easy. I'm not going to say DOCTOR STRANGE is the best Marvel movie. It’s not. But it’s an awesome Doctor Strange movie with visuals that will floor you.

Variety:

quote:

I liked DOCTOR STRANGE. The most self-contained Marvel movie in a long time. Fun visuals. Almost felt like a reboot of the first IRON MAN.

Slashfilm:

quote:

Doctor Strange’s action set pieces make an MC Escher paintings look tame. Some really great, clever, incentive stuff. Worth the 3D ticket. Cumberbatch owns Doctor Strange, the movie is funnier than I was expecting, a throwback to a pre-MCU Iron Man-like standalone story.

Rolling Stone:

quote:

DOCTOR STRANGE is guilty of *all* the usual Marvel movie problems, but excellent performances from Tilda & some VERY trippy visuals make it a spectacle worth savoring. Also, DOCTOR STRANGE is something I never thought I’d see: a Marvel movie with a good original score. What a time to be alive.

NYT:

quote:

Even beyond its insane visuals (cool stuff like you’ve never seen before), #DoctorStrange is tons of fun. A bit formulaic, but very solid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Man, the script not being strong makes me a bit sad considering that's my main reason for seeing it. Cargill's my boy.

There's apperently some kind of obscure Spill.com reference in there. If I heard him right.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Like, just make Strange English or his parents moved over from England when he was young, so he'd keep the accent and we wouldnt have to hear whatever Cumberbatch is trying to do. Easy. Pay me trillions of dollars Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I didn't like this at all, actually. Felt forced and distanced me from an already pretty plodding fight scene (from a technical standpoint).

Besides being a really lame joke, it makes no sense. Like, he thinks the problem is some components in his hand are hosed up and shaking them might fix it? It's a not a toaster dummy. Or he doesn't think that, and he's making a joke? So it's characterization and he's a Spider Man jokester character? I guess this is IS a marvel flick so the quips will be on point...

Guy Goodbody posted:

My favorite thing about the mansion fight is that the studio wanted to cut it own and make it a lot less violent because they were worried audiences wouldn't be cool with Wolverine murdering a ton of people. The screenwriter, Solid Snake, had to insist that as long as the soldiers wore masks and pointed guns at kids, audiences would be cool with whatever Wolverine did to them

Not that out of touch studio execs are anything new, but Wolverine's entire appeal, literally all of it, is that he murders a lot of people and smokes and drinks a lot. Like, what would a "kid friendly" Wolverine even be?

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 21, 2016

• Locked thread