Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Chaltab posted:

What part of portable Wii U doesn't sound awesome?

We already have that. It's called the 3DS:colbert:

I think the idea behind he hardware is cool but I'm not liking that we're losing the two-screen thing. Most devs did nothing with it but now even the good devs won't have the option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Honestly I think even just having inventory and all that nonsense on the bottom screen is great, it's not a lot of effort and it's a streamlining touch that so many games have benefited from. That'll be at least part of the reason I don't get Breath of the Wild on Switch.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gutcruncher posted:

That's not even true on a 'joke hyperbole' way.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Astro7x posted:

I like the idea of having a dock on both of my TVs and switching between the two depending on where I want to play. For that reason, I hope it's just a dock and nothing more so they are cheap. I also do t want my gameplay to be compromised on the go.

I just want this thing to be affordable so that it doesn't fail miserably. But that tablet screen is a huge concern for the average gamer that just games at home. Nothing is showing touch screen support in any of the trailer thankfully. So... why couldn't Nintendo also release a non tablet version that is just a home console? You know, the Wii U without the Gamepad that people wished they could have done to cut costs.

I can see why they kept this trailer so basic to. It confuse people and showing two versions this early would be idiotic. But I could see the appeal in a variation that had no tablet to reduce costs
Short answer: Japan.

Long answer: Consoles aren't doing well in Japan and the Wii U hasn't done particularly well anywhere. Handhelds are strong. Switch lets them and their third parties focus on one unified platform that services both markets instead of trying to build a super console for the West and a better handheld for Japan and support both with games. This already seems to be working given that Sega is releasing Project Sonic for Switch alongside the other two consoles, and Bethesda is developing something that they're not saying is Skyrim (but it's Skyrim) and a bunch of Vita developers seem to be jumping ship to Switch.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I hate to say this but the thing I'm most looking forward to is when the inevitable softmod is released. Tablets are great for emulation but this is a tablet specifically designed to make playing games intuitive.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

katkillad2 posted:

Now you've done it, here come the crazies who are going to be pissed it doesn't have 1TB internal memory and don't know how to use an external hard drive or have an extra SD card lying around.

what kind of pants should I buy to make sure I have enough pocket space for the external

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

youcallthatatwist posted:

I'm absolutely sure the dock will have graphics-boosting stuff in it, it's just that nintendo is wisely avoiding diluting their message right now. We're supposed to be getting more specs and specific games by the end of this month, and I'm sure we'll hear more about it then.

Yes, they'll just use the secret special sauce hidden second gpu to hammer the bits harder into the metal

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How feasible is it for Nintendo to emulate Wii U games on Switch a la 360 games on X1?

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
http://www.t3.com/news/nintendo-wii-u-controller-was-nearly-a-standalone-handheld

Sounds like Nintendo has wanted to do something like this for a while.

Astro7x posted:

I just want this thing to be affordable so that it doesn't fail miserably. But that tablet screen is a huge concern for the average gamer that just games at home. Nothing is showing touch screen support in any of the trailer thankfully. So... why couldn't Nintendo also release a non tablet version that is just a home console? You know, the Wii U without the Gamepad that people wished they could have done to cut costs.

I don't think you're right about the average gamer. It's especially noticeable in Japan, where handheld gaming is MUCH more popular than console gaming, because of cramped living spaces and long commute times. Even here, though, I think this thing has a ton of potential - I mean, it's basically perfectly tailored to my current lifestyle.

If anything, I anticipate that we'll eventually be able to buy the handheld tablet as a standalone thing, without the dock. Not at first, though: they really want to stress the"Switch" part of the switch.

Y'know it really makes me wonder why they're marketing this thing as a home console instead of a tablet, since most of the footage shown in the trailer was on the handheld side of things.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wonder if there's gonna be some backlash or other impact from devs that have mainly stuck to handhelds thus far. I imagine it's a much steeper manpower investment to make a game that looks acceptable in HD than to put out something that's acceptable on the 3ds.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
it does look kind of like a prototype doesn't it

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

We can probably assume there's no touchscreen, but is there evidence of motion control?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
I'm gonna play this bitch in the call room.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

I wonder if there's gonna be some backlash or other impact from devs that have mainly stuck to handhelds thus far. I imagine it's a much steeper manpower investment to make a game that looks acceptable in HD than to put out something that's acceptable on the 3ds.

Indie Pixel stuff won't change anything, and they'll probably attract the Vita developers as the console is dropped in the west.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

That's definitely one of my big concerns about this thing. The 3DS had a really good environment for small indie games and I don't want to lose that.

Gutcruncher posted:

We can probably assume there's no touchscreen, but is there evidence of motion control?

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/789129166746685440
also i can't find it right now but same person wrote an article a while back about how the detachable remotes would support motion control.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 20, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So the Switch is cartridge-based, yes? I'm kind of curious about how large of a game they can fit on one and how much of a battery life the thing could have. The idea of fully portable Skyrim is getting me excited.

whaley posted:

Yeah, I imagine that the final design will look a bit more polished.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

what kind of pants should I buy to make sure I have enough pocket space for the external

A separate pair of baby pants and chest harness

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Geostomp posted:

So the Switch is cartridge-based, yes? I'm kind of curious about how large of a game they can fit on one and how much of a battery life the thing could have. The idea of fully portable Skyrim is getting me excited.

Yeah, I imagine that the final design will look a bit more polished.

Considering that microSD cards get up to 200GB in size right now, I'd say that 32GB or 64GB cartridges aren't at all unreasonable.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That's definitely one of my big concerns about this thing. The 3DS had a really good environment for small indie games and I don't want to lose that.

Hasn't stopped some from releasing upscaled 3DS ports on Wii U.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

The Switch pro controller had a real d-pad.

yeah, but I want a d-pad in the portable mode.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
Any confirmation on 4K video streaming? (Not 4K games, of course!)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

We are long past the days that every game needs to have AAA time spend on graphics long as it looks fine, so stop stressing such things.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Y'know it really makes me wonder why they're marketing this thing as a home console instead of a tablet, since most of the footage shown in the trailer was on the handheld side of things.

because it's both. do you remember the wii u launch? they didn't show the actual console enough and countless people assumed it was just a wii add-on. if they didn't focus enough on the switch being a home console you'd have people thinking it was just a handheld with a charging station.

LethalGeek posted:

We are long past the days that every game needs to have AAA time spend on graphics long as it looks fine, so stop stressing such things.

nintendo's problem with graphical quality was never raw horsepower, it was the fact that the wii didn't support HD in an era when it absolutely should have, and no amount of skill or effort in art design can make a 480p game look good on a 50in 1080p TV. the wii u is hilariously outclassed by xbone and PS4 hardware and its games still look good/great. as long as the switch meets basic technical requirements it will be fine.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Bum the Sad posted:

The price point will be interesting. Mario Kart / Smash Bros where everyone has their own screen. :aaaaa:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

How feasible is it for Nintendo to emulate Wii U games on Switch a la 360 games on X1?

I don't know the architecture but I don't think this thing has motion controls and doesn't double as a second screen.

Tender Bender posted:

I think handheld devs will be fine. The Vita is a good benchmark for something like that even if most games end up being 720p upscaled.

I'd be more worried about AAA developers. Modern games seem stuck to PC resolution for the text, like everybody is pumping out games that look like Dead Rising in 2006. Screen real estate is going to be horrid in handheld mode.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

whaley posted:

we can still hope

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Chaltab posted:

How do you figure? That's still 2.6 times the capacity of a BluRay disc so an install or download will be mandatory.

Also holy poo poo WHY.

So I notice Nintendo's wording here doesn't actually say that the Dock *doesn't* have any graphics hardware, just that its main purpose is exactly what the trailer indicated. They also made a point of listing charging and providing power as separate functions, so the idea that docking it puts it into a higher power mode and makes the fan kick in still seems reasonable.

What part of portable Wii U doesn't sound awesome?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/call-of-duty-infinite-warfares-130-gb-size-is-high/1100-6444309/

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Gutcruncher posted:

I think the idea behind he hardware is cool but I'm not liking that we're losing the two-screen thing. Most devs did nothing with it but now even the good devs won't have the option.

It's a headache most of the time looking down at the pad and up at the TV. This makes a lot more sense and is more effortless on the DS/3DS. Using the Wii U tablet as a viewport held up to your TV was cool to see demonstrated in trailers for it though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

al-azad posted:

I hate to say this but the thing I'm most looking forward to is when the inevitable softmod is released. Tablets are great for emulation but this is a tablet specifically designed to make playing games intuitive.

Same, hopefully it's as extensive as it is on the 3DS.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Is there any indication that this isn't the similar to the Wii U graphics performance-wise? Like, the same step up that the Wii U was to the Wii?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nintendo please give us a lot of pretty-rear end color options.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

It's really not. This is a game that I made (mainly) on my own, as a completely unexperienced game developer: http://inacio.itch.io/spacekujo

e: not that it looks or plays particularly great but given the circumstances it's not completely terrible imo

If those 3rd parties really mean something, we have Epic and Unity on board. Considering Unity supported the loving 3DS, it's not a stretch to think that they'll support the NS. Unity support = fuckloads of indies

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jay-V posted:

Is there any indication that this isn't the similar to the Wii U graphics performance-wise? Like, the same step up that the Wii U was to the Wii?

It's apparently a slight step-up from the Wii U. Though those specs might be BS.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Inacio posted:

we can still hope

Man, Miles Per: Hour was so good

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Considering that microSD cards get up to 200GB in size right now, I'd say that 32GB or 64GB cartridges aren't at all unreasonable.

They'll probably allow publishers to use whatever size they need (I think this has happened on the 3DS already).

Be interesting to see if games go back to the 16 bit days of "bigger" games costing more due to the increased price in storage.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if MSRP of retail games jumps up a bit too from 60 to 70 USD.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Bum the Sad posted:

I'm going to play it handheld on the train, with the tablet docked back home

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

The Vita has a near HD resolution and it's Indie library shits all over the 3DS' Nindie selection. Turns out Pixel games upscale fine.

Switch may finally a handheld with the grunt to run poorly optimized Nicalis releases really well. What an age we live in.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Inacio posted:

we can still hope

that's what i was thinking, nintendo products usually look a little different from how they do when they first announce them

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

whaley posted:

that's what i was thinking, nintendo products usually look a little different from how they do when they first announce them

This thing's out in five months

Gonna bet the design is final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Tender Bender posted:

Capcom's gonna hate not being able to use the same PS2-era models in Monster Hunter.

• Locked thread