Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

The ghosts are utter, complete bullshit agents in the hands of the AI. Even at level 1, against level 10 agents(because Skarsnik bonus agent exp), I can't even try to assassinate them as "odds are too low." So better hope that RNG doesn't have their missions succeed, because there's literally nothing you can do to prevent them from hitting you every single turn, given the AI basically never runs out of money.

What fun.

That's because part of their ancestor ghost thing is having a -100% enemy agent success chance, making them literally immune to enemy agent actions. It was probably an idea that was meant to give an advantage to a human player, not be such a massive annoyance when you play against them.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Well, we already know what next patch will do! Separate that out to AI bonus vs. player bonus like they did with agent exp.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Captain Beans posted:

All games played are recorded!

I'll be updating the scores/records of everyone in between me re-posting this post with the rules and player records. That will make it easy for me to review the thread for all games played since my last update post.

Any word on when the tables will be updated with the new prices and units?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

That's because part of their ancestor ghost thing is having a -100% enemy agent success chance, making them literally immune to enemy agent actions. It was probably an idea that was meant to give an advantage to a human player, not be such a massive annoyance when you play against them.

I had worked out that it had to be related to their specialness but that did not make it any less aggravating. Hopefully that gets removed or something - after months off I'd decided to not look for a new version of enemy agent action removal mod and just deal with that game aspect, but that seriously made me reconsider for a bit.

Thankfully one eventually crit failed and was wounded, and shortly thereafter they confederated with Dwarves and I never saw them again.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Are the ancestors gone forever if they die? I didn't play long enough to actually get to the agent-recruitment buildings.

I love Skarsnik's little cheers whenever his squig eats a dude.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
man that new dwarf clan start is brutal. the agents definitely help but you can't really field more than a stack for a long time and you're constantly getting attacked by orcs and sometimes the nearby humans

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

peer posted:

Are the ancestors gone forever if they die? I didn't play long enough to actually get to the agent-recruitment buildings.

I love Skarsnik's little cheers whenever his squig eats a dude.

The dev dude they had on stream yesterday confirmed that yeah, the Ghosts are not immortal. If they die they're gone.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
They did it.

They made Greenskins, or atleast Skarsnik, actually *FUN* to play!

Oh and it seems nobody's actually mentioned this regarding Waaghs:

Thats right...

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Gejnor posted:

They did it.

They made Greenskins, or atleast Skarsnik, actually *FUN* to play!

Greenskins...weren't fun???

Mans posted:

clicking the wurrzag free dlc transfer button on the steam page opens my warhammer game page where you select your mods but i'm not sure where exactly do i have to click to get the DLC

http://store.steampowered.com/app/404015/

Or

Click on Wurrzag and there should be a download option.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

jfood posted:

The bolt thrower! THE BOLT THROWER!!!

Picked up two at the start of a Ungrim campaign... it is the goobiest piece of no-fun, gently caress you, cheap piece of poo poo unit in the game. Between the two of them, un-upgraded you can stunlock any lord or monster in the game. They literally can't move once they get into range.

It's loving beautiful.

How much do I have to worry about these hitting my own troops? I haven't played much with flat trajectory artillery.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Shouldn't Aspiring Champions, Marauder Horsemasters and Manticores be available for Chaos since the patch ? I don't see them in the QB army roster.

Edit: Nevermind - after DLing Wurrzag they showed up.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 21, 2016

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Hammerstein posted:

Shouldn't Aspiring Champions, Marauder Horsemasters and Manticores be available for Chaos since the patch ? I don't see them in the QB army roster.

Did you grab Wurrzag? I think they're packaged with him for some reason.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

brocretin posted:

Did you grab Wurrzag? I think they're packaged with him for some reason.

That fixed it, thanks.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Korgan posted:

Greenskins...weren't fun???

I know its contrary to popular opinion here in this thread but they felt weak in the grand campaign, especially in the very hard campaign maps and *especially* against Very Hard Dwarfen armies. Boyz couldn't win against Dwarf Warriors 1:1, Trolls were the absolute worst Monstrous Infantry (look at Crypt Horrors and Minotaurs and tell me that trolls aren't the worst of the lot) and all the good stuff is hidden behind tier 4 where the real AP is, with extra turn recruitment time for no real reason. Big 'Uns are supposed to be similar to Longbeards yet Longbeards only take 1 turn to recruit.

Before this DLC the only thing truly holding up a Greenskin campaign on Very Hard was the presence of Grimgor who is legit good and his selection of good starting units, starting as Azhag was a lesson in frustration.

But on to a new and brighter green future!

The addition of Nasty Skulkers is huge because its an AP unit that you can get really early on, finally making you able to ruin those gods-damned dwarf fuckers who would shrug off your boyz like nothing, now you can actually destroy them and Skulkers as a unit are just all out good besides the usual Goblin Failings like low morale. Making the Fanatics chain and ball a targetable attack was a great thing and the projectile you launch can really hurt, especially against bunched up foes! The regiment of renown units are very very good in most cases, they even made a wolf archer unit i WANT to use since it gets AP arrows!

If the Waagh changes happen to the main Greenskin faction as well then they've plugged the gap of how semi-awful they've been, instead of a heap of rank 5 Boyz that you dont want or need you get actual useful things like Giants, Arachnaroks and Doom Divers!

All in all a very good DLC/Patch, i look forward to seeing the Dwarf changes as well when i get to playing them!

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Skarsnik's start is rough, but it's rougher still because 99% of what you're fighting (midgets) are armored to the loving teeth... and you don't really have AP units outside of skulkers. Chaos is the same deal: you just can't do enough damage to them before you inevitably rout, unless you stack your entire army with Skulkers, and even then you'll still get morale hosed. Goblins have poo poo for AP, and all they fight is armored poo poo.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As far as I can tell Wurzag automatically adds to your DLC list in the library view and installs like anything else.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Just managed to take Karak Eight Peaks as Skarsnik in one hell of a battle. That super powerful defender stack plus the already large garrison in a well upgraded city vs my one stack (which was basically Skarsnik, my starting big boss, my starting arachnarok, a handful of skulkers, and every possible RoR I could get my hands on) and a full Waagh which had an Arachnarok and a Giant. Ended up with the 3 Arachnaroks fighting in an epic clash while the rest of my army slowly pushed through the gate in a hellish bloodbath. Might have been the funnest siege assault I have played.

Also, goblins get really really insane if you follow the middle upgrade tree for Skarsnik. Two different attack upgrades which combined give them like 36 melee attack and 40% charge bonus. Add to that the army poison bonus....

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ifyou want to play a goblin heavy game you need tons and tons of spiders.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

KnoxZone posted:

Just managed to take Karak Eight Peaks as Skarsnik in one hell of a battle. That super powerful defender stack plus the already large garrison in a well upgraded city vs my one stack (which was basically Skarsnik, my starting big boss, my starting arachnarok, a handful of skulkers, and every possible RoR I could get my hands on) and a full Waagh which had an Arachnarok and a Giant. Ended up with the 3 Arachnaroks fighting in an epic clash while the rest of my army slowly pushed through the gate in a hellish bloodbath. Might have been the funnest siege assault I have played.

Also, goblins get really really insane if you follow the middle upgrade tree for Skarsnik. Two different attack upgrades which combined give them like 36 melee attack and 40% charge bonus. Add to that the army poison bonus....

Only prob is that they're only for Skarsnik's army :( But its one Hell of an army, for what its worth.

I like Squig Riders. They really gently caress up Dwarven Rangers and Quarrelers who are otherwise committed.

Gonkish posted:

Skarsnik's start is rough, but it's rougher still because 99% of what you're fighting (midgets) are armored to the loving teeth... and you don't really have AP units outside of skulkers. Chaos is the same deal: you just can't do enough damage to them before you inevitably rout, unless you stack your entire army with Skulkers, and even then you'll still get morale hosed. Goblins have poo poo for AP, and all they fight is armored poo poo.

Gotta use Night Goblin Shaman aplenty, it feels like. When they're rolling spells on enemy groups you're trying to break down, it makes an immense difference.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Mans posted:

ifyou want to play a goblin heavy game you need tons and tons of spiders.

Do spiders climb castle walls in seiges. If not can we get a mod to fix this? I have never tried a siege with spider riders.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

spawned a waagh as skarsnik after fighting belegor a few times like 30 turns in. It has goblins, trolls, a catapult, spider riders and poo poo, its insane.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Krimzon Killers do not mess around. Holy poo poo those guys backed up by skulkers took on three black orc units at once during the siege of Karak Eight Peaks.

Early Greenskin campaign was finally fun instead of a rush to murder dwarfs.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ZearothK posted:

Any word on when the tables will be updated with the new prices and units?

Updated pricing on some of the units, probably going to all all the new stuff tomorrow.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

What determines when you unlock the new RoR's? I'm getting them now and then as Skarsnik, think I just got the 8 Peak Loonies. Is it random, or set after certain amounts of conquest?

Just to be sure, Grimgor etc can also recruit/use them, right? They seem a bit too Goblin-centric for my tastes, aside from the 2-3 that arent :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 21, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dandywalken posted:

What determines when you unlock the new RoR's? I'm getting them now and then as Skarsnik, think I just got the 8 Peak Loonies. Is it random, or set after certain amounts of conquest?

Just to be sure, Grimgor etc can also recruit/use them, right? They seem a bit too Goblin-centric for my tastes, aside from the 2-3 that arent :(

They appear after your Lord reaches a certain level. For example, Crimson Killers appear when you hit level 17

Pinely
Jul 23, 2013
College Slice
Took Eight Peaks with Belagor around turn 50, wasn't too bad. Bee lined across the badlands, leaned heavily on Quarallers, then heavily on my heroes (both thanes and Belagor broke 250 kills a piece). Only on hard though and I'm probably going to lose Izor because there are 3 stacks besieging it.

I really like the DLC. It's cool having an early game goal that feels like a real achievement.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Decided to just dink around with Wurzag for a bit, he's hella good though his starting province has just been an invitation to get all my settlements sacked from every direction simultaneously. It's fun though, I really like how much more chaotic and varied the Greenskin campaigns feel already.

Also Effegy is ridiculous, yes I want a single target DOT that also pins the enemy general in place for 18 seconds that doesn't use winds of magic. I want that very much.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Awh they stealth nerfed Grimgor!

Gone from +75% weapon damage via skills down to +45% :smith:

On the upside i added 10% weapon damage on Gitsnik in my mod "Upgraded Legendary Lord Items" :unsmith:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876

Also gave me a reason to push Ghal Maraz a bit higher, the intention to make it one of the strongest weapons ingame as is proper (name of the game son, and the hammer on the cover!) and at the same time keep parity with Volkmars weapon, so it is now sitting on 12%, up from 10.

(shameful plug)

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
VH Belagor trip report.

After around 55-60 turns of painfully securing the start province and smashing Skarnik's faction to pieces, fending of almost every orc faction in the game coming for me with one army after the other, I finally got ready to march out on the expedition to reclaim Karak eight peaks.

Arriving after trekking trough the badlands dodging angry Grimgor and his Waaagh train, Belagor and his brave dwarfs found that the Karak was heavily defended by a near full stack which had 3 or 4 black orcs, a bunch of trolls, an Arachnarok and piles of night gobbos and Big Uns, also right next to the garrisoned army was another stack of 12 which would reinforce(at this time I had not had the spare skill points to go for Lightning Strike yet).
Figuring that a head on siege battle against that would be nigh impossible to win I instead first took the city next to it (valay's sorrow?) from the main faction Greenskins occupying it and turned that into a temporary forward base, looting it in the process to help boost the war coffers.

With the extra cash from that city and some of my savings I recruited a 2nd lord there, and had him recruit most of the RoR unit's I had managed to unlock, then I had Belagor go into ambush stance nearby to try lure out at least one of the armies protecting eight peaks.
Luckily the plan succeeded and indeed the smaller stack (now 14 units) parked itself just within range for me to strike them on my turn with Belagor and the newly raised "army"(the new lord's army consisting only of 4 units of RoR) and killed them all down to the last goblin.

Now with the defending forces down to two thirds and my new reinforcing second army it was time to strike at karak eight peaks(now with a fresh 5 stack of gobbos next to the city) and quickly before more enemy reinforcements and other greenskins factions closed in.
Then one of the most epic siege battles I've had in my 600+ hours played in this game ensued and by the end of it the 4500+ strong orc and goblin army was defeated, the few survivors was chased out of the city with shrieking Gob Lobba projectiles still raining down on them, and the few proud Dawi that still remained standing could celebrate a hard earned victory at last.

So far this DLC owns!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Having reclaimed eight peaks, I kind of feel that skarsnik's unique build tree is rather useless after how insane his goblin buffs are. The leadership tree buffing goblin melee and charge skills are rivaling the momentum a beastman army and I feel like going back to Boyz will be a downgrade

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

There should be a mod to make Grimgor and Azhag do similar for Black Orcs/ Big 'uns (maybe?) respectively :getin:

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maybe azhag could have something similar to vampiric binding for his troops due to his crown of sorcery. Not a full on binding, but a slight one to give them some more staying power.

Thats a sweet idea.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 21, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dandywalken posted:

There should be a mod to make Grimgor and Azhag do similar for Black Orcs/ Big 'uns (maybe?) respectively :getin:

Maybe azhag could have something similar to vampiric binding for his troops due to his crown of sorcery. Not a full on binding, but a slight one to give them some more staying power.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Playing as Belegar is the most frustrating experience I've had in this game. Can't have even one full stack with a province and a half, fine, whatever, Skarsnik's only got gobbos anyways. As I'm about to siege Skarsnik's last settlement, the mutinous gits from Eight Peaks show up at Karak Izor with a full stack of orcs. The mutinous gits marched halfway across the Old World to save Skarsnik. So now I'm chasing a full stack while their agent is successfully blocking my army every turn and I can't do poo poo about it because I can't afford assassination attempts.

I decided to quit after a few turns of that.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah, the 50% upkeep penalty struck me as being pretty terrible when I saw it. Maybe that'll get changed in the future.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Choyi posted:

So far this DLC owns!

Yeah, I thought dwarves were super boring before but I'd rate this legendary as up there with chaos. The +50% upkeep mixed with the grudge meter slowly maxing adds a sense of urgency that mixed with your starting location actually makes the game somewhat challenging. Well, at least until you take eight peaks. Then it's standard dwarf. It'll be interesting to try purposefully not taking it ever eventually.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

So I really like the DLC but there's just one thing that really kinda chaps my rear end. The new factions start you out west where you don't typically see much action as Dwarfs and Greenskins, but then the entire objective of both campaigns is to just go back to the badlands...

It's kind of a big gently caress you like "Hey are you enjoying these new starting positions? Okay, great, we're going to start you out with penalties that annoy the poo poo out of you until you go back to the badlands and just do what you would in a normal campaign."

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I like it that the new campaigns operate as challenge campaigns at first, it is good to have stuff like that this deep into the game's lifeline, when players who have been around since release have probably mastered the existing campaigns.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What are the actual differences between hard, very hard, and legendary?

I've been playing vamps and empire and beastmen on Very Hard but, yeah, trying to do Belegar on Very Hard is Very Hard. You have to constantly bop back and forth due to public order rebellions and the limitation to a single stack is punishing.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Skarsnick on very hard is insanely difficult. Trying to get that first main settlement feels like a timing game, if something goes wrong and your first Waaagh doesn't take it then you are screwed

I split my forces when a rebellion fired and it leads to my sieging waagh army getting killed by an out of nowhere Belagor stack while my main army fought the rebels. Had to concede 5 turns later

SickZip fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What are the actual differences between hard, very hard, and legendary?

I've been playing vamps and empire and beastmen on Very Hard but, yeah, trying to do Belegar on Very Hard is Very Hard. You have to constantly bop back and forth due to public order rebellions and the limitation to a single stack is punishing.

Literally nothing except bigger bonuses given to the AI and bigger debuffs given to your faction. It's how much the game cheats to gently caress you over and give the AI more stat and cash inflow buffs. Also the AI stats for hating you go higher in difficulty you go.

You can play on normal and get the default experience and nothing will change outside of the AI not getting an inherent advantage against you. It doesn't alter the AI or anything.

• Locked thread