Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I am unbearably, unbearably bummed that A-Force ended as poorly as it did. It ends both a great arc and a great CWII tie-in with an extended shrug at the camera and a boilerpate "neutral" ending that feels completely and utterly toothless. What a mother loving disappointment.

A-Force was probably one of my overall favorite currently ongoing comics and it feels like it just totally runs out of steam in the conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I felt like the entire Civil War tie-in hijacked the book and it was pretty obvious the author wanted to do something else so her characters other than manufactured in-fighting. Which, yeah, was a shame because I hopped onboard at the beginning of the Duchess story and really enjoyed what happened on all levels.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It was a great CWII tie-in that addressed the central conflict extremely well and in a way that made sense, so I really am not gonna put the blame on it falling apart in the finale on the CWII boogeyman. It was a great arc up until the ending. It just failed because Thompson was unwilling or unable to depict Captain Marvel as in the wrong and took a centrist stance on the conflict that kicked off that arc, while simultaneously failing to satisfactorily close the book in a way that felt definitive over, again, an extended shrug at the camera.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Nobby posted:

Are we guessing a mishmash of old "young x-men" teams, or a new generation to tell stories about for a year or two and then forget about?

I'm hoping it's going to be a showcase for the eternal B-Listers who aren't on the current school team but never made it to a permanent spot on the big teams. It won't be, but a man can hope.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, anyone wanna start a new X-Thread for this Rexxurexxioxxion stuff?

e: Maybe when there's any actual info.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

So, anyone wanna start a new X-Thread for this Rexxurexxioxxion stuff?

When we actually get teams, dates, and other stuff sure.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Are these the actual covers or just preview images? Because I'm tempted to collect all the #1s at least because they look really cool.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm one of those rare defective models who wasn't a fan of A-Force, but most of it merely had to do with their mishandling of Nico. You're gonna take the stone-cold badass leader of the Runaways and turn her into the puckish needy little sister type for the others to mother? No thanks.

Which one gets the better legendary?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't believe this one was posted, was it?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

I'm one of those rare defective models who wasn't a fan of A-Force, but most of it merely had to do with their mishandling of Nico. You're gonna take the stone-cold badass leader of the Runaways and turn her into the puckish needy little sister type for the others to mother? No thanks.

She wasn't like that at all. Especially in direct comparison to Singularity, who was exactly that.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I didn't know A-Force had Nico in it, and now I want to read it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's like nine books so far right? This is gonna be MASSIVE.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You should, it was great. Except for the last issue.

Start with the SW mini first, since it's quite literally a direct prequel.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

She wasn't like that at all. Especially in direct comparison to Singularity, who was exactly that.
Singularity was intended to be that, but in practice she's mostly used as a plot device and/or comic relief, while Nico is the one who gets into the stereotypical teenage moods (positive and negative), who gets doted on by the mothers hen, who gets placed in danger for the others to rescue, and whose emotional well-being is used as the catalyst for most of the conflicts and resolutions of the series. Singularity comes across as the quirky foreign friend who blurts out strange things and everyone wants make her feel welcomed and protected and "part of the gang" because she's just so darned lovable. But Nico is the one engenders a sort of parental -- or at least big-sisterly -- relationship from the rest of the team. She's Dawn from Buffy. She's Sailor Chibimoon. Not saying that to denigrate, because I love those characters, but the fact is that 2003-Nico would absolutely punch this Nico. Then she would punch every other member of the team.

edit: Even her overall design has been kiddified, made more childlike. Where before she was all sharp knifelike lines and edges and angles, nowadays her aesthetic is curvy and rounded, Squirrel-Girl-esque, with cutesy bob-cuts and floral outfits.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 22, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Which one gets the better legendary?

they'll just get traded between the two anyway

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

That's like nine books so far right? This is gonna be MASSIVE.

Seven.

e: Rexurxixn covers like those, so far.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Oct 22, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

For some reason I was counting ANW and OML in my tally. Both are supposedly relaunching (of course) with this event.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

With so many books they'll finally give Al Ewing the X-Book he has obviously asked Marvel every day since he joined.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's gonna be Xcable though

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Cable is great and Al Ewing can work with ridiculous concepts so I'd be all right with that.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Which X book do people think Greg Land will be on? I'm going to guess X-Men Blue.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm a touch miffed that Hope's not on the Cable cover but she's wedged into Gen-X so maybe she'll be around? I like Hope. :smith:

A little confused by blue / gold -- cyke, beast and archangel are on both, and they mix in old and young versions. Even picked a shot of Jean as phoenix which is a little worrisome (in that they might try resurrecting old.Jean). Who's that in the bottom middle-left of Blue?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

NmareBfly posted:

I'm a touch miffed that Hope's not on the Cable cover but she's wedged into Gen-X so maybe she'll be around? I like Hope. :smith:

A little confused by blue / gold -- cyke, beast and archangel are on both, and they mix in old and young versions. Even picked a shot of Jean as phoenix which is a little worrisome (in that they might try resurrecting old.Jean). Who's that in the bottom middle-left of Blue?

I think thats Jean as it seems to be the original 5
The Gold seems to be the team from 94-200 but missing Sunfire and Thunderbird

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 22, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xcable is about a group of mutants who decided to stick it to Comcast by only subscribing to Netflix.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

BrianWilly posted:

Singularity was intended to be that, but in practice she's mostly used as a plot device and/or comic relief, while Nico is the one who gets into the stereotypical teenage moods (positive and negative), who gets doted on by the mothers hen, who gets placed in danger for the others to rescue, and whose emotional well-being is used as the catalyst for most of the conflicts and resolutions of the series. Singularity comes across as the quirky foreign friend who blurts out strange things and everyone wants make her feel welcomed and protected and "part of the gang" because she's just so darned lovable. But Nico is the one engenders a sort of parental -- or at least big-sisterly -- relationship from the rest of the team. She's Dawn from Buffy. She's Sailor Chibimoon. Not saying that to denigrate, because I love those characters, but the fact is that 2003-Nico would absolutely punch this Nico. Then she would punch every other member of the team.

edit: Even her overall design has been kiddified, made more childlike. Where before she was all sharp knifelike lines and edges and angles, nowadays her aesthetic is curvy and rounded, Squirrel-Girl-esque, with cutesy bob-cuts and floral outfits.

You know, I just realized that they never really answered what Singularity's deal was. I know everybody had these theories back during Secret Wars about how she would be an incursion survivor or 616 Kitty Pryde because of that Black Mirror thing from ANXM. And in both the SW A-force mini and in this iteration of A-force everybody's like "What's this girl made of and why/how can she teleport?"... but then it turns out the answer is "Meh, whatever :shrug:"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
She's a sentient pocket universe, that's good enough nonsense-talk for me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
http://marvel.com/news/comics/26906/x-men_primary_colors

this all sounds like exactly what I wanted X-Men to be for years

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Blockhouse posted:

Generation X is the "school" book, and Blue and Gold are team books which will hopefully allow for good, semifluid teams of that really is what they're doing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If I was Editor of the X-books I'd make it a fireable offense to write a story where the school/mansion/base is attacked.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

If I was Editor of the X-books I'd make it a fireable offense to write a story where the school/mansion/base is attacked.

"BURN THE HERETIC!" - every X-Men writer

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Blockhouse posted:

I don't want to get my hopes up or anything, but yeah, this sounds great. Now all we need are some creators.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Greg Land draws everything. Sorry I don't make the rules.

Alternatively, Greg Land on the Iceman book only.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lurdiak posted:

Caveat. You can do it, you just can't do it to start the storyline, it has to be built to. Hell if you want to do an "In x Days the school will be attacked we must prepare and attempt a counter attack but prepare to defend ourselves." Also cool, just... not completely barred, just mostly barred.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The point of the rule is to stop every single run from having a 3 to 5 parter about the mansion being attacked or infiltrated. You can't have caveats!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rochallor posted:

I don't want to get my hopes up or anything, but yeah, this sounds great. Now all we need are some creators.

Yeah they're really hitting the right notes there. I hope they can pull it off.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope this means that they make old Scott unequivocally a hero again, the Phoenix brings all the dead mutants back to life and able to repopulate AGAIN, and Beast stops being an rear end in a top hat and goes back to his fun character, and Archangel stops being a mindless weapon and gets to be Warren again.

Just reset it all to the 90's is what I'm saying.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

I hope this means that they make old Scott unequivocally a hero again, the Phoenix brings all the dead mutants back to life and able to repopulate AGAIN, and Beast stops being an rear end in a top hat and goes back to his fun character, and Archangel stops being a mindless weapon and gets to be Warren again.

Just reset it all to the 90's is what I'm saying.

If that means we lose Laura & Gabby, then I must reject this premise.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yvonmukluk posted:

If that means we lose Laura & Gabby, then I must reject this premise.

Nah, I'm more referring to all the characters they hosed up and killed and made not fun to read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Considering who would be exciting writing these X-teams, I suddenly felt Tom King's absence in a profound way. I would trade in all the Batmans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is this all of it or are there more to be announced? I DEMAND A NEW EXILES BOOK! :argh:

• Locked thread