Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I can't wait for this thing. I skipped the WiiU after barely playing the Wii BUT I use my N3DSXL every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

InFlames235 posted:

Guys think there's any chance this goes over 5 hours? I know the shield tablet went up to 8 hours but it wasn't running as intensive of games. Really hoping this gets to 5 - 8 hours but thinking 2 - 4 is more realistic.

The shield tablet also is typically just streaming games from your PC. This is also why the Wii U gamepad has surprising battery longevity. It's just streaming video and inputs. This thing's gonna have to have a pretty mighty battery. Like, I don't travel all that much, so this doesn't affect me a lot, but people who are way cooler than me will have to hope that a USB charger comes out so they can use those external battery packs.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
The Wii U gamepad does not have what I would call "surprising battery longevity"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

katkillad2 posted:

I'd like the option to purchase the base/unit without the joycons and with the pro controller.

nah i want the joycons because it will be with several different colors and designs to chose from for you everyday gaming experience

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
Eventually, you will be able to buy the handheld unit by itself. You will also be able to buy the dock unit by itself. Neither of these things will be available at launch, because Nintendo needs to make sure the average consumer understands the "switch" part of the nintendo switch.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

antidote posted:

Just out of curiosity, what all do you keep in your pockets?

Not much, keys/headphones in my left pocket and my cell phone in my right. Wallet in the back.

I don't carry bigger stuff like my 3ds unless I'm going to a friends house or something.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

shin megami tensei All-star Racing is confirmed

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

a.lo posted:

shin megami tensei All-star Racing is confirmed

That's been inevitable since Sega bought Atlus.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kashuno posted:

The Wii U gamepad does not have what I would call "surprising battery longevity"

I hope it was a joke.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Really looking forward to years of "why can't I buy the tablet without the dock" posts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My WiiU gamepad battery has always lasted like five hours. It's run out once when I was binging wind waker and forgot to put it back on the charging cradle when I was done.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

Really looking forward to years of "why can't I buy the tablet without the dock" posts.

This but unironically. (apparently it'll already be a thing for certain markets)

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Kashuno posted:

It isn't terrible if you buy the bigger battery, which completely fills the compartment. Should have come standard imho.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I really hope I can use the Wii U pro controller on this thing.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Every decive needs battery lessons from the WiiU pro controller. Change once a year. What a great controller.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah for real i don't want to buy another billion controllers

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

What're those ports on the dock? They look proprietary

this is what i really want to know, logic dictates usb but they look so weird

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Do you play basketball. You should play basketball. Have you considered playing basketball?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Dexo posted:

Do you play basketball. You should play basketball. Have you considered playing basketball?

Now he can, with his friends, on the innovative new Nintendo Switch.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Finally a new Mario Hoops game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah this isn't really an option, they really have to make it compatible.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I would expect 4 hours at most. I'd like 5 or 6. It's a good thing portable chargers are dirt cheap and airplanes have electric sockets now.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Yeah this isn't really an option, they really have to make it compatible.

I'm glad I do own one.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I mean if I have to buy another one of these bog-standard pads instead of using my pro controller I'll be angry

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Do we know if it's going to be possible to power this thing when it's not docked? Like is it going to have its own power brick adapter?

Because building a big plastic screen cover onto the dock would be tremendously stupid if they could've been able to make the dock act as an AC adapter style portable power supply if it's not connected to a TV.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I would expect 4 hours at most. I'd like 5 or 6. It's a good thing portable chargers are dirt cheap and airplanes have electric sockets now.

The rumor twitterers mentioned that the battery life was not 'great', and considering some devices are getting 10-20 hours. I'd put 5-6 as within not 'great'. 4 hours might create Nomad comparisons.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dr Cheeto posted:

It isn't terrible if you buy the bigger battery, which completely fills the compartment. Should have come standard imho.

It does make it noticeably heavier. I almost took mine back out.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I mean if I have to buy another one of these bog-standard pads instead of using my pro controller I'll be angry

It's possible the new one might have gyro, and Nintendo will want every controller compatible with the system to have the exact same capabilities to avoid any design compromises or comparability issues, like what plagued WiiU games, where when developing a game you had no idea what controller someone would have.

Also it might have a headphone/mic jack(but I kinda doubt it).

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ubisoft source said 3 hours battery in which case just ship these straight to the trash

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Same, I'll probably just deal with the standard controller and forgo the need to by another one of these things.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Super No Vacancy posted:

ubisoft source said 3 hours battery in which case just ship these straight to the trash

Meh. As long as there's a way to charge/power it without the main dock then it's fine.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Super No Vacancy posted:

The 3DS gets 3.5 to 5, depending on brightness, wifi, etc.

I'm personally expecting 2.5 to 4 for the Switch.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
I wonder if this thing will have a sleep mode? It'd be hard to sell it as a handheld otherwise.
Although, I'm not really sure nintendo wants to sell this thing as a handheld. I think they know that a lot of the "pick up and play" crowd has been consumed by phones, and so they're emphasizing that the switch is basically just a home console that's easy to carry from place to place.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The vita lasts in suspend with a game running but minimized for 3 months or more.

Hopefully the switch can be with you all day without using any juice

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

youcallthatatwist posted:

I wonder if this thing will have a sleep mode? It'd be hard to sell it as a handheld otherwise.
Although, I'm not really sure nintendo wants to sell this thing as a handheld. I think they know that a lot of the "pick up and play" crowd has been consumed by phones, and so they're emphasizing that the switch is basically just a home console that's easy to carry from place to place.

There's hasn't been a portable device released without a sleep mode the last X years

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

zolthorg posted:

this is what i really want to know, logic dictates usb but they look so weird

They're probably whatever is on the other end of the charging cable for the Joycon Grip and the Pro Controller, which hopefully is just USB.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

There's hasn't been a portable device released without a sleep mode the last X years

Nintendo: it takes courage to not do this

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Soul Glo posted:

The 3DS gets 3.5 to 5

my new 3dsxl gets like 8 hours you liar!!!!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tatsuta Age posted:

It gets like 8 hours with wireless communication turned off. It's more like 2-4 if you're playing Monster Hunter with your goon friends over wi-fi like god intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tatsuta Age posted:

Mine dies in my backpack every 4-5 days. :(

I'm hoping that you can trickle charge this via USB.

• Locked thread