Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
How about the type whose only contribution to the conversation is to say "haha that reminds me of [similar situation but more outlandish]"? Not only is it boring (wow, another three-minute adventure in your life about people I don't know with no point or conclusion!), it's irritating and belittling. If someone once dropped a pricey glass in a store, well he was at his uncle's store who made glass replicas of famous people and while he was showing off his karate moves to a judo master from Japan he knocked over a whole shelf of thousand-dollar Elvises but he used his karate know-how to save all but one and his uncle forgave him and the judo master let him come to Japan to help him teach, and let me tell you about being in Japan because-...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Whiz Palace posted:

I knew a similar guy, except he was about speedrun techniques in video games. I'd never felt compelled to physically intervene in a conversation before.

Aren't you interested in learning how to build up enough QPUs via a sequence of half-A-presses to glitch past the second barrier where the hexagonal rock meets the water, I mean what's wrong with you? Anyway, here's how you

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rabbit Hill posted:

I just can't understand the mentality of people who would do that. You go to a foreign country with customs not your own, you see a crowd of people standing still and not shoving each other, and you don't give a gently caress and literally shove them aside to stand where they are standing? This is far beyond not picking up that people in Country X speak more quietly than you're used to, or that they think it's rude not to wish someone "bon appetit" before a meal, or whatever. You're getting physically rough with strangers, and you don't notice that everyone is reacting to you with anger? You are an rear end in a top hat. If all 100 of you in your group are doing that, then you're 100 assholes.

From what I understand, this stereotype even exists in places like Hong Kong and Taiwan, where they refer to mainland Chinese being very rude. It's kind of hard to tell if it's a Chinese thing or a "Chinese that are wealthy enough to travel abroad" thing. It might have to do with aggressive and semi-rude behavior (for example in a context like haggling) being a cultural thing.

Stoatbringer posted:

Aren't you interested in learning how to build up enough QPUs via a sequence of half-A-presses to glitch past the second barrier where the hexagonal rock meets the water, I mean what's wrong with you? Anyway, here's how you

My feeling about that sort of speed-running is that it is very impressive but also extremely strange and likely indicative of some sort of mental illness (like autism or something). I can appreciate the challenge of trying to maximize outcomes through fully understanding the way a game works, but it seems like there are a million more interesting and worthwhile things that involve the exact same type of work and talents.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 23:26 on Oct 19, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
That's kinda my take on speed running as well. I'm entertained and impressed when I watch A/SGDQ, but there's this background radiation of embarrassment for the people involved, sometimes.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

MisterBibs posted:

That's kinda my take on speed running as well. I'm entertained and impressed when I watch A/SGDQ, but there's this background radiation of embarrassment for the people involved, sometimes.

I'm frequently more embarrassed about the people watching than the ones actually performing the runs. The comments on the donations sent in are the worst thing by far.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Large books with shiny pages.

I'm reading Crystal Lake Memories, which fits that criteria. It's big enough to not be super comfortable if laying down or on my side, but the shiny pages make reading it a kitchen table or near a lamp annoying because the reflection of the light blows out the text.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Ytlaya posted:

From what I understand, this stereotype even exists in places like Hong Kong and Taiwan, where they refer to mainland Chinese being very rude. It's kind of hard to tell if it's a Chinese thing or a "Chinese that are wealthy enough to travel abroad" thing. It might have to do with aggressive and semi-rude behavior (for example in a context like haggling) being a cultural thing.

I'm not sure if this means anything at all, but my ex lived in Hong Kong and Baijing for a couple of years and this is basically why he moved back to the US. He's the least aggressive person I know, but he said everyone was really rude, pushy, and out for themselves. Something to do with too many people in too small a place, and since everyone was pushy, it all kinda worked out. Everyone pushed each other and no one got mad, at least among Chinese. He said their driving was the same way. No one respected right-of-way, red lights, etc., but no one expected anyone else to either, so the "every man for himself" mentality worked out fine there. It's when other cultures are introduced that it becomes a problem.

Grain of salt, of course, I was getting this secondhand.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I get that not everybody likes sports, but a large proportion of people in America do. And it seems like nearly everybody is on Facebook now, so every Fall the people who don't give a poo poo about Football or Basketball end up posting anti-sports memes like "when you talk about your team all I hear is Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah and I just go back to working on my lovely drift car".

That's great that you don't care about sports man, but I guarantee you that more people are interested in what happened during last Sunday's games than what fuel pump you just installed or how many body parts you had to replace because you suck at driving. It's not like it's all that hard to stop following people that constantly post about things you don't care about. That's why I no longer have to see terrible political posts from people.

Now that I'm thinking about it I think it's just silly that some people consider their hobby superior to everybody else's. On the one hand it's pretty nice to be able to work on your own car, but amateur racing is definitely not in any way superior to playing rec sports. It's expensive as hell and you have to deal with a lot of antisocial douchebags (who are probably actually very nice people once you get inducted into the club). Lots of assholes in rec sports too, but at least it's a relatively cheap way to have fun.

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 00:46 on Oct 20, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Inspector 34 posted:

I think it's just silly that some people consider their hobby superior to everybody else's.

It's easy for me to conjure the mentality I had as a younger person, often being the outsider and having my own ideas and hobbies mocked by others. I wasn't into sports, so I was labeled a "fag" or a "girl." I didn't care about cars, so I was whatever other perjoratives people apply. Years went by and constantly I was just mocked for being different -- and by "different' I just mean, I didn't care about the things most people do. I grew to hate the mainstream, absolutely loathe it. I became a hateful, embittered teenager and began to reject anything and everything that was popular because in my mind I could only associate the interests of the majority with the interests of bullies. I became an agoraphobic recluse and it's like, ten years later but it's taken years of therapy and consciously making an effort to not judge and/or fear people for me to even function.

I guess I'm a severe case, but I think everyone who falls outside of the spectrum of mainstream interests or just whatever is trendy or popular has this kind of resentment toward everyone else. For those guys who have no interest in sports, they probably have an interest in something that isn't as popular and not as many people understand or appreciate it (like your car example) and thus they grow to resent it, like the popular interest is personified as a direct antagonist to that person's happiness and they can only subvert it by making passive aggressive comments.

When I see people talk about sports, I can't help it, I feel a little resentment. A little sadness because I've never had an interest in it and I wish I did because then I might be able to integrate with people better, but I've tried and it just never clicked. It sort of makes me want to post some snide comment that vaguely diminishes their interests, but really it's kind of a cry for help, a beacon that says I'm alone out here. Maybe that's what your Facebook friends are doing; it's not necessarily a flexing of one's chest for the purpose of declaring one's interests better than others, but an effort to reach people, and what better way to reach people than to troll them into an argument?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
But to contribute:

Obnoxiously and hyperactively defensive stoners. I live in Oregon where weed is legal and it's been practically decriminalized for the last five years and mostly just ignored for the last ten. Unless you're trafficking large amounts of weed around or you've pissed off a cop, it's never been likely you're going to get into too much trouble for marijuana. It's not a big deal. 90% of people in Oregon do it. You're not in some exclusive club. Stop acting so loving surprised another slack-jawed spacey looking guy stumbling around the alleyway is high. Look around you, you get a prize if you can spot one completely sober person.

But man, the moment someone suggests weed has any impairing effects whatsoever, you sure snap right out of your stoned, vacant attitude and start quoting verbatim research results and court findings and government motives and attacking people with declarations that they're ignorant for saying anything different than what you think. Maybe you really are an exceptionally phenomenal driver when you're stoned, but I've driven while stoned and I was barely in control and think it's pretty great I got to my destination with nobody being hurt. So, I don't know, I'm not you, but maybe people shouldn't drive while stoned -- whoa, whoa, hey, put your metaphorical fists down, buddy, nobody's trying to take your loving rights away.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The thing that bothers me about stoners is how offended/nervous they get when you say you don't smoke weed. I've tried it, I didn't like it, so I don't. It doesn't mean I'm a cop, and it doesn't mean I don't want you to do it around me, it just means I don't want to smoke it. The only line I have is I won't drive anyone anywhere if they are carrying weed, because if we get pulled over and they are high, they are going to freak out and do something stupid like throw the weed into the glove compartment and let me get arrested when the cop finds it.

Also: overly paranoid people. I have a friend who will constantly nudge me and whisper "why's that guy staring at us" (or similar) when we're riding the train or bus or whatever. Then he'll start speculating about why, like "do you think we're in his seats? do you think he's upset that we took the seats with the table? should we move? do you think he's a cop?" etc, endlessly. No amount of "dude, he's not staring at us and never was" will convince him. He also is annoying when walking in crowded areas - if he's convinced someone is staring at+following him, he'll suddenly change direction to see if they follow (they never do). He's very normal otherwise so I'm not sure if it's just a personality quirk or mental illness, but whatever it is it is very annoying.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The thing that bothers me about stoners is how offended/nervous they get when you say you don't smoke weed. I've tried it, I didn't like it, so I don't. It doesn't mean I'm a cop, and it doesn't mean I don't want you to do it around me, it just means I don't want to smoke it. The only line I have is I won't drive anyone anywhere if they are carrying weed, because if we get pulled over and they are high, they are going to freak out and do something stupid like throw the weed into the glove compartment and let me get arrested when the cop finds it.

Also: overly paranoid people. I have a friend who will constantly nudge me and whisper "why's that guy staring at us" (or similar) when we're riding the train or bus or whatever. Then he'll start speculating about why, like "do you think we're in his seats? do you think he's upset that we took the seats with the table? should we move? do you think he's a cop?" etc, endlessly. No amount of "dude, he's not staring at us and never was" will convince him. He also is annoying when walking in crowded areas - if he's convinced someone is staring at+following him, he'll suddenly change direction to see if they follow (they never do). He's very normal otherwise so I'm not sure if it's just a personality quirk or mental illness, but whatever it is it is very annoying.

I think stoners are their own worst enemy. In the states where it isn't legal, the protests to make it legal never have people wearing suits, but 40 year old guys in tye dye playing hackie sack at the courthouse while screaming LEGALIZE IT WOOO.

The bill to legalize it is on the ballot this year here in AZ, and I am in love with the people screaming that if YOU can't tell if a gummy bear has weed in it (wouldn't it dissolve in the melting process?) HOW CAN YOUR KIDS? YOUR KIDS WILL DO WEED AND WON'T EVEN KNOW IT. Because making it legal means kids can do it freely and you can smoke and drive and all, right? No. I got into some stupid argument with someone that if we ban alcohol, we would save more lives than if we kept weed illegal. The person stammered and insisted that beer was safe and we don't need more legal stimulants out there.

Make it legal, tax the poo poo out of it, problem solved! Guess what, your kids are probably on worse poo poo already!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Taxing weed would single handedly save the US economy, and, by extension, the economy of the world.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

credburn posted:

It's easy for me to conjure the mentality I had as a younger person, often being the outsider and having my own ideas and hobbies mocked by others. I wasn't into sports, so I was labeled a "fag" or a "girl." I didn't care about cars, so I was whatever other perjoratives people apply. Years went by and constantly I was just mocked for being different -- and by "different' I just mean, I didn't care about the things most people do. I grew to hate the mainstream, absolutely loathe it. I became a hateful, embittered teenager and began to reject anything and everything that was popular because in my mind I could only associate the interests of the majority with the interests of bullies. I became an agoraphobic recluse and it's like, ten years later but it's taken years of therapy and consciously making an effort to not judge and/or fear people for me to even function.

I guess I'm a severe case, but I think everyone who falls outside of the spectrum of mainstream interests or just whatever is trendy or popular has this kind of resentment toward everyone else. For those guys who have no interest in sports, they probably have an interest in something that isn't as popular and not as many people understand or appreciate it (like your car example) and thus they grow to resent it, like the popular interest is personified as a direct antagonist to that person's happiness and they can only subvert it by making passive aggressive comments.

When I see people talk about sports, I can't help it, I feel a little resentment. A little sadness because I've never had an interest in it and I wish I did because then I might be able to integrate with people better, but I've tried and it just never clicked. It sort of makes me want to post some snide comment that vaguely diminishes their interests, but really it's kind of a cry for help, a beacon that says I'm alone out here. Maybe that's what your Facebook friends are doing; it's not necessarily a flexing of one's chest for the purpose of declaring one's interests better than others, but an effort to reach people, and what better way to reach people than to troll them into an argument?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's worse in Hong Kong and Taiwan, and it's incredibly easy to tell who the mainlanders are. There was a massive argument between China and Hong Kong a couple of years back because there was a spate of incidents where mainlanders were letting their kids poo poo on the floor outside and in restaurants and stuff and Chinese social media got angry that Hongkongers were complaining about. Chinese social media goes full on internet vigilante if a Chinese tourist does something bad in a place they don't consider to be Chinese though.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I dunno what it is with SE Asia, but people are seriously nationalistic. It's so easy to troll SE Asia dudes just by talking minor poo poo about their country. If you want to get a bunch of nerds from the PRC angry, typing 'Taiwan #1' will unleash a torrent of completely unintelligible insults. Filipinos are even worse.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I think stoners are their own worst enemy. In the states where it isn't legal, the protests to make it legal never have people wearing suits, but 40 year old guys in tye dye playing hackie sack at the courthouse while screaming LEGALIZE IT WOOO.

The bill to legalize it is on the ballot this year here in AZ, and I am in love with the people screaming that if YOU can't tell if a gummy bear has weed in it (wouldn't it dissolve in the melting process?) HOW CAN YOUR KIDS? YOUR KIDS WILL DO WEED AND WON'T EVEN KNOW IT. Because making it legal means kids can do it freely and you can smoke and drive and all, right? No. I got into some stupid argument with someone that if we ban alcohol, we would save more lives than if we kept weed illegal. The person stammered and insisted that beer was safe and we don't need more legal stimulants out there.

Make it legal, tax the poo poo out of it, problem solved! Guess what, your kids are probably on worse poo poo already!

It boggles my mind that there are still people in 2016 who buy into '60s era weed propaganda. I ran into these people when I in college (at a college renowned for :420:), and I was taken aback by just how narrow their mindset was. Than again, 90% of those kind of people were hyper-religious types, so it's not exactly surprising.

Agreed on the weed activism though. Instead of cancer patients and college students, we have ex-hippies out there protesting. It's kind of odd that the only thing that the baby boomer generation and the millennial generation have in common is a love of :420:.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

A White Guy posted:

It's kind of odd that the only thing that the baby boomer generation and the millennial generation have in common is a love of :420:.

Even that bastion of curmudgeonly hate Free Republic is divided on the issue. They say the only things Freepers sometimes admit to liking are pot, dogs and possibly a third thing (but definitely no more than three).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This is me but only because I watched It Follows a couple of weeks ago.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Whiz Palace posted:

Even that bastion of curmudgeonly hate Free Republic is divided on the issue. They say the only things Freepers sometimes admit to liking are pot, dogs and possibly a third thing (but definitely no more than three).

Pizza? Everyone likes pizza.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

People who have taken it upon themselves to add white space to videos so they can add their text & emoji reaction to the video itself before posting it on Facebook. I have no idea why I see that so much, but it's completely stupid.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Pizza? Everyone likes pizza.

Them eye-talians ain't white.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

liquidypoo posted:

People who have taken it upon themselves to add white space to videos so they can add their text & emoji reaction to the video itself before posting it on Facebook. I have no idea why I see that so much, but it's completely stupid.

For me it's basically every single thing that had happened to the medium of video since smartphones that can take video became common.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Master Twig posted:

For me it's basically every single thing that had happened to the medium of video since smartphones that can take video became common.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

People that just say "yes" for the sake of saying yes. For god's sake if you don't want to do something say "no" or even a "ask again later" is fine I guess. Don't just say yes and then never do it like you're hoping everybody else will just forget about it. Chrissake.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
People who try way to hard when they add accents to foreign words and names. I'm all for pronouncing things the way they were meant to be said in a native language, but some people are just so desperate to seem smart and worldly that they'll seemingly butcher a word even more than they would have if they just gave the anglicized version of it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

MizPiz posted:

People who try way to hard when they add accents to foreign words and names. I'm all for pronouncing things the way they were meant to be said in a native language, but some people are just so desperate to seem smart and worldly that they'll seemingly butcher a word even more than they would have if they just gave the anglicized version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPbe58CB73M

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

SPOOKILY A BIRD posted:

People that just say "yes" for the sake of saying yes. For god's sake if you don't want to do something say "no" or even a "ask again later" is fine I guess. Don't just say yes and then never do it like you're hoping everybody else will just forget about it. Chrissake.

haha Japan would drive you insane

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Baron Corbyn posted:

It's worse in Hong Kong and Taiwan, and it's incredibly easy to tell who the mainlanders are. There was a massive argument between China and Hong Kong a couple of years back because there was a spate of incidents where mainlanders were letting their kids poo poo on the floor outside and in restaurants and stuff and Chinese social media got angry that Hongkongers were complaining about. Chinese social media goes full on internet vigilante if a Chinese tourist does something bad in a place they don't consider to be Chinese though.

I wonder if this is related to a large portion of mainland Chinese people being nouveau middle class people who used to be poor and lacking a lot of the social norms that exist in most developed countries.

In the case of that pooping incident, were mainland Chinese people mostly upset over HKers insulting them (which could be somewhat reasonable, since it's wrong to stereotype a culture because you saw someone do something gross), or did they genuinely think that letting toddlers poop on a sidewalk is okay and the HKers are wrong to be against it?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Less of a peeve and more of a huge problem in the US, but: insurance companies. No, I'm sure you're right. I don't need an MRI. Never mind that two weeks ago I was happily running marathon distances and now I'm using a walker and in crippling pain. I'll just do some yoga and drink some chamomile tea. That should be fine. I'm sure you know more than my doctor. We don't need to know what's wrong with me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Less of a peeve and more of a huge problem in the US, but: insurance companies. No, I'm sure you're right. I don't need an MRI. Never mind that two weeks ago I was happily running marathon distances and now I'm using a walker and in crippling pain. I'll just do some yoga and drink some chamomile tea. That should be fine. I'm sure you know more than my doctor. We don't need to know what's wrong with me.

Did your doctor see anything wrong on the X-ray? Most foot/leg injuries just require weeks/months of rest to heal. It's still strange that your insurance company won't cover an MRI if your doctor requested it, though.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Did your doctor see anything wrong on the X-ray? Most foot/leg injuries just require weeks/months of rest to heal. It's still strange that your insurance company won't cover an MRI if your doctor requested it, though.

Nope. It's a pinched nerve, not a broken bone. I don't think that would show up on an x-ray, right? My guess is just general insurance tomfoolery. Fortunately no one bothered to tell me why it's been denied or anything, because that sure isn't something I need to know or anything. After all, I'm just the patient.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
A close friend of mine was hit by a semi-truck recently, truck driver was at fault and it was a low speed collision so it wasn't life threatening or anything. But, she's pregnant, and of course her doctor recommended whatever tests and therapy he felt necessary to make sure she's alright. The truck driver's company's insurance company (who obviously is supposed to pay for all treatment) decided that she didn't actually need any of the physical therapy, so they won't cover it. And her lawyer won't go to bat for her anymore because it's not a big enough case. What the gently caress people!?

I don't get how she was supposed to actually deal with that. Should she listen to her doctor and do all the recommended treatments and just hope that it gets covered? Or should she have waited until she knew what the insurance company was willing to pay for? Such a lovely position for a stressed out woman to have to deal with.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If she was in Canada she would be getting the medical treatment for free but she would have to wait like 3 months for an appointment.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I'm fairly certain (I've always been healthy and have no experience with insurance so this is just a hunch, so grain of salt) that insurance companies take you at your weakest and throttle you until you give up and deny yourself services, or pay for them yourself. I'm erring on the side of "get all the care you need and sort out the drat bills later, they can repo my pain if they want."

Fortunately for me, I'm good and pissed off, and I'm a lawyer, so I'm ready for a loving fight. I realize not everyone else is that lucky, and in the case of chronic pain or the very old, young, or sick, they need strong advocates. I'm sorry for your friend. I hope she makes a full recovery.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Insurance companies are literally gambling on your health, so it's less of a peeve and more of a deeply troubling systemic issue.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Toddlers and their incredible, in built talent to hide things that you need.

Tv remotes and house keys especially.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Mu Zeta posted:

If she was in Canada she would be getting the medical treatment for free but she would have to wait like 3 months for an appointment.

everybody says this poo poo like it's some kind of gotcha, whereas in the United States you'll have to pay for the medical treatment and STILL wait 3 months for an appointment

I worked in medical billing for a while being the person at the doctor's office who calls the insurance company to try to get them to cover things. I left because it's a hosed up system to work in no matter which part of it you're in but what it taught me is that the insurance companies will deny everything and then end up covering it if you bother them enough. Like, it's straight-up a standard practice for them to routinely deny everything the first time even if it's obviously covered by the patient's policy, because most people just accept that they've denied it and don't realize they can appeal it, or else they just don't have the time and energy to deal with the appeals process (because they're sick or injured). It's super hosed up. If you DO have the time and energy, though, just keep appealing it and calling them and talking to them and re-appealing it and calling them again and make it a massive pain in their rear end long enough and they'll usually end up approving it.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

everybody says this poo poo like it's some kind of gotcha, whereas in the United States you'll have to pay for the medical treatment and STILL wait 3 months for an appointment

I worked in medical billing for a while being the person at the doctor's office who calls the insurance company to try to get them to cover things. I left because it's a hosed up system to work in no matter which part of it you're in but what it taught me is that the insurance companies will deny everything and then end up covering it if you bother them enough. Like, it's straight-up a standard practice for them to routinely deny everything the first time even if it's obviously covered by the patient's policy, because most people just accept that they've denied it and don't realize they can appeal it, or else they just don't have the time and energy to deal with the appeals process (because they're sick or injured). It's super hosed up. If you DO have the time and energy, though, just keep appealing it and calling them and talking to them and re-appealing it and calling them again and make it a massive pain in their rear end long enough and they'll usually end up approving it.

This was my exact suspicion. It doesn't surprise me that it works most of the time either. I'm just fortunate that this is my first serious injury, and I'm young and healthy otherwise. I am FIRED UP and will get the loving care I need. Knowing now how frustrating it is, I can see why so many people give up. I probably would too, after being beaten down for so long. Like, I'm probably going to get better out of sheer loving force of spite now.

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I hate hearing about the poo poo American people have to go through to access something I take completely for granted, I'm sorry you guys :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

SPOOKILY A BIRD posted:

My mom does this but with going places. She says she will be somewhere but bow out at the very last minute. She's done this twice in the past year with her eldest daughter (my sister from a different mister) and grandkids, who live in a different time zone and rarely make it out to the Midwest. The other day she did it, promising to go to my sister's aunt's house after my sister's grandfather's funeral and then said to me, "gently caress it, I don't want to go. She's bullied me into saying yes.", throwing a tantrum about it in the car with a ton of complaining, and went home. I ended up going and, like always, saying "no" when people ask me if my mom came with. I've called her out on this, telling her to tell people "I will try" at least but not to make promises. She even does this with doctor's appointments, canceling the day before and re-scheduling.