Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Making aquariums, especially the level 4 ones, will probably be profitable for a good long while. Plus CRP gets other fun furniture stuff to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Velthice posted:

Hey friends, my static is currently recruiting a whm or ast to fill out our roster. We are currently working on a11s but are willing and able to drag your dumb dead body through a9s and a10s. All you need to do is play your class decently well and be able to get along with 7 other chill dudes and you too can be a part of the Bad News Bears of Eorzea

Raid schedule and times can be found in our thread. Interested peeps should either post in it or hit up either Holli Would or Mara Driss in game.
http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27625

I am sad because I really want to join a static and start doing savage tier content and do in fact main AST at the moment. Sadly, the times don't work out at all.

I need to start being more proactive instead of waffling about this.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

homeless snail posted:

Forgot how brutal Warburton's parade death scene was, Crushed by a goober, RIP that guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-nmgLvTFD0&t=461s

Is this from 1.0 or is that the cutscene you get from starting in ul-dah?

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Brainamp posted:

Is this from 1.0 or is that the cutscene you get from starting in ul-dah?

Both, 1.0 Ul'dah start. Gridania is moogle related and Limsa is Leviathan related.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

IIRC the 2.0 Ul'dah intro was pretty boring (you're on a chocobo cart, welcome to the city, a bandit shows up maybe? Also I think Alphie and Ali are there too for some reason?). Dunno how different the Grid and Limsa ones are.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

jellycat posted:

I knew who Mysterious Elf was the second he started talking, but I'd recognize his Japanese VA anywhere :v:

If they had kept the English VAs from ARR, it would have been immediately obvious who he is.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Kelp Me! posted:

IIRC the 2.0 Ul'dah intro was pretty boring (you're on a chocobo cart, welcome to the city, a bandit shows up maybe? Also I think Alphie and Ali are there too for some reason?). Dunno how different the Grid and Limsa ones are.

They're all more or less the same, except Limsa you start on a boat. Guard types get distracted while questioning the merchant talking to you by the local beast tribes and you're free to go.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Fister Roboto posted:

If they had kept the English VAs from ARR, it would have been immediately obvious who he is.

Yeah. I'm still not acquainted to the new voice actors beyond Alphinaud, Thancred, and Y'Shtola.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I had a healer whine at me in Great Gubal HM today for using Tempered Will through Liquid Flame's polarity game. I was thoroughly confused.

It's also fun to use shoulder tackle to cancel slides in fights like sophia/leviathan. Especially in roulettes where most people don't realize it's possible. :chord:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is there any endgame boss that's good for monks?

Honestly losing stacks is the major thing deterring me from making it my DPS main. Oh well, I'll continue shooting arrows.

A9S you literally never stop punching things and even with a NIN hitting you with Goad you can run out of TP in a hurry. Once you get a feel for fights you'll rarely, if ever, lose stacks in places that don't force it 100% of the time (so you tornado kick right before) or from dying. Unless your accuracy is poo poo and you miss a bunch but that's easily fixed by swapping gear around.

Saigyouji posted:

The most unbelievable thing I've come across in the lore book so far is the claim that Urianger is 29.

For comparison's sake, the rest of the Scions:

Alisaie and Alphinaud: 16
Coultenet: 26
F'lhaminn: 37
Hoary Boulder: 25
Krile: 22
Louisoix: 72
Minfilia: 27
Moenbryda: 29
Papalymo: 42
Tataru: 21
Thancred: 32
Yda: Hell knows.
Y'shtola: 23. Always 23.

I'm not at all surprised they made Papalymo the oldest scion since he's a literal toddler. :japan:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
3.4's reveal was so obvious I was trying to convince myself that it HAD to be a misdirect or something, but no. :shrug:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Saigyouji posted:

The most unbelievable thing I've come across in the lore book so far is the claim that Urianger is 29.

Wasn't there some 1.0 thing that suggested Urianger was obscenely old, like from one of those previous civilizations old?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Conskill posted:

Wasn't there some 1.0 thing that suggested Urianger was obscenely old, like from one of those previous civilizations old?
That was a lie to make his warning about the calamity seem more prophetic. It turns out he's just a nerd.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gently caress it, Matheus is just way too dead. Gonna put down money to go to Excal now.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

oh my god you used to be on the server with Steve Uk

please tell me your stories

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ilifinicus posted:

don't have any :shrug:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

put the bi in bicycle posted:

Halloween cape is great and let's me pretend I'm playing Bloodborne

I know this was from awhile ago, but make sure you dress up your bird like the Plain Doll for the complete Bloodborne experience.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ilifinicus posted:

Who?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The ages seem normal to me if only because jrpg's love their hero's to be 16 and under. The warrior of light is probably 14.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

How long is an eorzean year? I wouldn't put it past them to make years much longer than we'd think.

I would have expected all of the magic experts to be at least close to 30 but I suppose they've all be studying magic for at least a decade at their ages.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

How long is an eorzean year? I wouldn't put it past them to make years much longer than we'd think.

12 months, 32 days a month, 24-hour days

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

guy who used to be a menace on Mateus and was also making GBS threads up my hunts thread on the official forums with his crazy ideas that shouting the name of your player would spawn S ranks, he was 100% serious

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Augus posted:

12 months, 32 days a month, 24-hour days

That's slightly longer than a Terran year, but only by 19 days.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Saint Freak posted:

I know this was from awhile ago, but make sure you dress up your bird like the Plain Doll for the complete Bloodborne experience.

Which barding is that?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Brainamp posted:

Which barding is that?

Manderbirb barding, 150k MGP

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Brainamp posted:

Which barding is that?

Manderville, it's in the Gold Saucer for 150k MGP.

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
If anything I'm surprised by how old the twins are. They're TINY for giraffes. Is Elezen puberty super weird or something?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lobsterman posted:

If anything I'm surprised by how old the twins are. They're TINY for giraffes. Is Elezen puberty super weird or something?
Probably half lala IMO

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Lobsterman posted:

It's their limbs and necks, they're more Hyur proportioned.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Manderbirb barding, 150k MGP

I like how it carries a polishing kit, gotta keep those Godberts shiny.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Harrow posted:

Agreed. Though for me, I think it's because anything over 30k or so just won't feel "Final Fantasy" to me. Hell, if you'd asked me before FFXIII, I'd have said anything over 9999 would've felt wrong (even with FFX's Break HP Limit). FFXIII lets you easily reach 30k with some characters so I guess that's sort of normalized for me now, but having like 500k HP just won't feel right in a Final Fantasy game if it gets there.

It wouldn't surprise me if player's HP caps out at 5 digits (6 is being overly generous.) A lot of the 'you messed up take this ridiculous amount of damage' mechanics are in 6 digits already.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
how many goons are actually on Mateus? I joined here because of a couple IRL friends who have always played here, but It does seem very empty during non-peak hours.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Pyronic posted:

how many goons are actually on Mateus? I joined here because of a couple IRL friends who have always played here, but It does seem very empty during non-peak hours.

Presumably that one guy who just now decided to transfer to Excal, and that's about it.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
In case you missed it -

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

Saint Freak posted:

Oh that's perfect!! I would have never thought of that, thank you!!

Also about the Leveilleur twins being tiny, iirc from the lore book it says that up until 20 elezen are really short. Like shorter than hyurs of the same age. After their teens they metamorphosis into giraffes (This is what I've heard on Twitter, correct me if I am wrong!)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Koji Fox said they're just young Elezen at fanfest when he wasn't saying "buy me book"

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EponymousMrYar posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if player's HP caps out at 5 digits (6 is being overly generous.) A lot of the 'you messed up take this ridiculous amount of damage' mechanics are in 6 digits already.

WoW's handling of HP is pretty silly at this point.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh my god

I don't usually run into PotD pubbies who insist on trying to kill every enemy in every room, but having to deal with them in three different, non-consecutive runs tonight was driving me bonkers. It's really bad when a full party takes as long to clear a set as it would've taken me to speedrun it solo.

Even if you were doing a full 1-50 run avoiding as many fights as possible you'll easily reach 60 well before the endboss, especially since the only difficult fights are in the last set and they throw hordes of rooms filled with three or more enemies at a minimum.

Every person who complains about stubborn pubbies sticking by the open Passage cairn is part of the problem, because the stubborn pubbie is right. Especially if all the treasure chests were already looted.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

Oh my god

I don't usually run into PotD pubbies who insist on trying to kill every enemy in every room, but having to deal with them in three different, non-consecutive runs tonight was driving me bonkers. It's really bad when a full party takes as long to clear a set as it would've taken me to speedrun it solo.

Even if you were doing a full 1-50 run avoiding as many fights as possible you'll easily reach 60 well before the endboss, especially since the only difficult fights are in the last set and they throw hordes of rooms filled with three or more enemies at a minimum.

Every person who complains about stubborn pubbies sticking by the open Passage cairn is part of the problem, because the stubborn pubbie is right. Especially if all the treasure chests were already looted.

I only kill EVERYTHING when Fortune is up.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Intoluene posted:

I only kill EVERYTHING when Fortune is up.

I mean, that's fair.

It's more fair if you're in a fixed party rather than matched but that's still reasonable because you're still getting something potentially tangible out of it. Somewhere, out there, there's people who believe that the higher level you are, the faster things die, so that's why they think it's a good idea to take almost half an hour to clear 11-20.

And all that extra XP is either wasted when they reset or wasted when they cap to 60 early and their time-to-clear, say, 31-40 doesn't appreciably improve because they're still going to scour rooms for poms since at that level you're going to need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I kill everything when there's a WHM in the party, but only out of the convenience of "gather everything in the next ~4 rooms and blow it the hell up" rather than any general inclination towards the specific act of killing everything. But that in itself is a form of speedrunning floors, so :shrug:

• Locked thread