Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013
uhhhh this tripwire staff list looks way shorter than when I last checked it

turnways posted:

That's like not even a third of the people who work here; I wouldn't rely on that for anything staff related except to see some funny pictures we took one time.

Also Kevin Butt is a national Canadian treasure, y'all don't even know.

Just to be clear (gotta nip these things in the bud) we aren't anywhere close to running out of money or stretched too thin, we just had to lock things down to get the PS4 version through certification which takes a looooooot of lead time. We've also been doing a ton of cons and promotional stuff in the lead up to release, and working on some fun post-launch stuff, too.

Colosmicon fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You know, I do see one thing maybe being good:

If this is the same thing as the Firebug explosion, then going to town on groups of Zeds with something like a .500 would probably yield fantastic results.

Yeah that was the one thing that stood out to me as well. That perk is an absolute gamechanger for firebug, and I could see it being fantastic for, well, pretty much every other class too.

Colosmicon posted:

Wow, this game is being developed pretty quickly considering one of them is a dog. Really appreciate the VP's commitment to gun safety as well.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 21, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I was excited for Survivalist at first, but holy gently caress that article is dumb and sounds dumb and wow.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

aniviron posted:

Yeah that was the one thing that stood out to me as well. That perk is an absolute gamechanger for firebug, and I could see it being fantastic for, well, pretty much every other class too.

It was. They made it significantly worse, especially given how its alternative zed napalm does insane amounts of damage now.

Also while we're talking about perk alternatives, I've been using the perk that increases blast radius instead of lets your explosives resist Sirens. While I do agree that Siren resistance should just be innate in demos, the increased explosive radius is insanely better and I would go so far as to say it's superior to Siren resistance. You just kill things from across the room with it, you're basically prepatch demo but with a straight damage buff.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Colosmicon posted:

Oh god, this is going to turn into another The Dead Linger, isn't it? I don't understand what is sapping their funds so much, though.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Quicksilver6 posted:

I don't understand what is sapping their funds so much, though.

An utter inability to keep to a schedule and a bad habit of putting out poo poo content?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
They've been working on KF 2, porting KF 2 to PS 4, and I assume funding Rising Storm 2.

That's a bit on your plate for an indie dev studio as small as theirs.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Skoll posted:

They've been working on KF 2, porting KF 2 to PS 4, and I assume funding Rising Storm 2.

That's a bit on your plate for an indie dev studio as small as theirs.

Yikes! I knew about the port but having a whole other game in production when your first game isn't even out of EA seems unwise.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
This isn't their first game :v:

Holy gently caress the Survivalist looks bad. Like really? 14 levels of regular good old grenades and then a wet fart in no more explosions? I hope you like molotovs and healing cause these are the two options you get. Aside from that, you get really good class bonuses and Zed Time Reload (WTF?). This is a mess. I haven't played in a long while cause there are other good games that have been grabbing my attention more, but this doesn't make me want to come back to KF2.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/407560/

It seems they've completed the Killing Walls and Killing Ceiling.

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Why even bother adding a new perk if this is what they come up with? Any changes or tweaks will just be polishing a turd, it will still be poo poo. Just ship the game with 9 perks.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Theta Zero posted:

I've always wanted to play a blatant rip off of Killing Floor that is single player only!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Theta Zero posted:

I'd buy that for a dollar

...maybe

if it were during a steam sale

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

LuciferMorningstar posted:

An utter inability to keep to a schedule and a bad habit of putting out poo poo content?

Bring back "Head click simulator" gorefasts and stalkers.

But yeah holy gently caress that "Survivalist". Random loving weapon? Must have been suggested by the confused so called "Hardcore" players demanding more :airquote: "Roguelike" features.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Yo nobody likes random anything in shooty games y'all

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
hahahahaha

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

i worked with a guy named stephen butts at my last job

i never had the nerve to ask him why he doesn't just change his goddamn name. like, seriously, just go and officially change it to stephen smith or some bullshit and stop having every single person you talk to giggle at your name.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Coolguye posted:

i never had the nerve to ask him why he doesn't just change his goddamn name. like, seriously, just go and officially change it to stephen smith or some bullshit and stop having every single person you talk to giggle at your name.

Maybe he got off with it.

Survivalist seems pretty lousy, specially when compared to a tentative Martial Artist (dead from trying to figure out what to do with Zerker) or whatever could put the Electric weapon category to use. It is pretty disappointing for KF2 to come out of Early Access with a "meh" class and the Gore-Twin as the final update, but if TripWire has had to let people go I can see why that would be the case.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Skoll posted:

I've always wanted to play a blatant rip off of Killing Floor that is single player only!

Yah, if it had multiplayer though i'd be buying copies for me and my friends, it actually looks like fun. Could use some more varied environments though..

I'm disappointed greatly by the 'survivalist' perk, I bought the game early on because I thought there'd be a kung fu guy!.. I haven't really played since the resistances came out. Haven't bought a lot of EA games but this is the first that's made me feel I should have kept my cash.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I hope you're exaggerating or if Killing Floor is your first and only early access game ever, because as it stands it's a higher quality game than most full-fledged releases out there, and since EA launch I don't think it's ever exceeded more than a $40 price tag.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Theta Zero posted:

lmfao there's a wheelchair downgrade, that game looks amazing

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Theta Zero posted:

I hope you're exaggerating or if Killing Floor is your first and only early access game ever, because as it stands it's a higher quality game than most full-fledged releases out there, and since EA launch I don't think it's ever exceeded more than a $40 price tag.

As for much hate it gets, I'd generally agree with this comment. I've gotten 200+ hours out of KF2 already and mostly enjoyed it. Getting that kind of playtime out of a 30 dollar game is a hell of a deal for me, personally.

With that being said, I'm really disappointed by the new perk and it really has me wondering how many more hours I will be investing into this game. I really thought that the survivalist perk was going to be much more configurable. I have some friends that just don't like a few of the design choices in KF2, and I really thought that the survivalist perk would be the feature to get them on board... doesn't look like that's going to happen.

The biggest grief that most of my friends have against the game is that once you select a class, you have to use the class weaponry to gain XP. If you use an off perk weapon, any kills go towards that class, which is not intuitive for a lot of folks and can seem a little frustrating.

Anyway, has TW said anything about new maps?

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

Colosmicon posted:

That's like not even a third of the people who work here; I wouldn't rely on that for anything staff related except to see some funny pictures we took one time.

Just to be clear (gotta nip these things in the bud) we aren't anywhere close to running out of money or stretched too thin, we just had to lock things down to get the PS4 version through certification which takes a looooooot of lead time. We've also been doing a ton of cons and promotional stuff in the lead up to release, and working on some fun post-launch stuff, too.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

turnways posted:

That's fair.

Now, I know you're not mr Tripwire and thus not responsible, but what's the word inside there about this new perk coming out? Do you guys sincerely believe this is looking good? No doubts at all?

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Laputanmachine posted:

That's fair.

Now, I know you're not mr Tripwire and thus not responsible, but what's the word inside there about this new perk coming out? Do you guys sincerely believe this is looking good? No doubts at all?

I have no doubt that the current configuration was the agreed upon "best path" available at design time considering the current sprint/dev cycle and available resources. That doesn't make it right necessarily, or even the best design choice, but I would be hard pressed to believe that TWI would willingly release something that wouldn't meet their agreed upon design. Whether or not we agree with that design is an entirely different conversation.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Theta Zero posted:

I haven't touched the game in months, but looking on my steam account I've got 231 hours out of it. so yah actually I take that back. a large majority of that was on gimmicky dumb servers with 20+ other people. but then the majority of my 3000 hours in tf2 was on all crit mario kart servers so yeah I guess I got my money's worth and then some. Just doesn't feel quite right that I did all my playing in EA and once it's released I'm probably never gonna touch it again.

And since the game's nearing it's final completion and release, I'm begging the tripwire guys, please please update the artbook with stuff for the classes and maps! I know you're kinda bare bones at the moment but like, you don't even need to put fancy text in there, just dump all the doodles you've got laying around into the pdf..

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Theta Zero posted:

It has a stamina meter, and it's used for both sprinting and aiming. Even Tripwire couldn't achieve such heights of game design.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh man, I wonder how KF2 is even do-

Why.

Couldn't they just... I dunno... boost how much ammo a Survivalist gets from a higher amount of ammo spawns, let survivalists find T2-T4 weapons at the right time, and deny them any dosh and trader use?

Theta Zero posted:

$6 right now. Still very unsure.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Theta Zero posted:

Yeah, I haven't played KF2 in a while, and it's still the best EA game I've played. It's basically feature complete (and has been for a while), although it is lacking in content/balance. The few other games I got in EA ended up being complete disappointments.

QwertySanchez posted:

Just doesn't feel quite right that I did all my playing in EA and once it's released I'm probably never gonna touch it again.
This is probably what's going to happen for me too. At this rate I'll be playing through Fallout 5 when KF2 comes out of EA.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

widespread posted:

Couldn't they just... I dunno... boost how much ammo a Survivalist gets from a higher amount of ammo spawns, let survivalists find T2-T4 weapons at the right time, and deny them any dosh and trader use?

I'd play that

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

Danknificent posted:

I'd play that

Question is, how would you balance that with the other classes? Would the other classes not see these ammo boxes / weapon pickups? Its an interesting idea, for sure, but would also require a lot of custom map makers to add the additional spawn data for the pickups.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Severed posted:

Question is, how would you balance that with the other classes? Would the other classes not see these ammo boxes / weapon pickups? Its an interesting idea, for sure, but would also require a lot of custom map makers to add the additional spawn data for the pickups.

Would it be possible to add flags for this situation? Like, flag all ammo boxes so that- for survivalists- they'd get them sooner? Or maybe that's just a perk for Survivalists, where they point out more ammo caches for everyone to use.

Alternatively, might have to do the extra spawn data.

Severed
Jul 9, 2001

idspispopd

widespread posted:

Would it be possible to add flags for this situation? Like, flag all ammo boxes so that- for survivalists- they'd get them sooner? Or maybe that's just a perk for Survivalists, where they point out more ammo caches for everyone to use.

Alternatively, might have to do the extra spawn data.

I like the first idea. The default flag could be to set visibility to all classes, then just add new ammo boxes / weapons to stock maps that have the flag flipped to survivalist.

drat, that actually sounds like fun.

Would the perk get other enhancements? If none of the weapons are buffed, I think reload, ammo capacity, and magazine size should increase 1% per level as passives. If you can come up with a perk tree maybe TWI has an idea they can steal :D

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Severed posted:

I wouldn't try at all. Survivalist would be underpowered. The spawns are unique to you*. Round X, you get tier X weapons spawning. There would be a large component of luck.

*the locations can be static, just the weapon type/tier randomized - there for all survivalists, but everyone can only pick it up once per round.

If we really wanted to lighten up, have some actual fun with the game, and take it a step further, we could have it so you never know what kind of grenade you'll throw when you hit the button, or having it be random, but you always know what kind of grenade you have loaded up next so you can decide how to use it. The level perks would just be incremental across the board buffs instead of narrow situational nonsense. HP and movement speed would be important to this class since it's all about running around solo to forage. Armor maybe.

As for custom mappers, there are only two Survivalist entities to place: ammo and weapons. The weapons are random. The ammo is just ammo, or armor. If map makers can't be bothered, you got nine other classes to play on custom maps. You'd have to find a good place between too many spawns and not enough, but you could just err toward not enough and call it a day.

Survivalist is already a transparently disappointing cop-out class; TWI isn't fooling anyone, so making it actually fun/humorous/exciting/spontaneous could actually be a decent consolation prize. My personal take on the perk wouldn't be for tactically-thinking-nerd-teamwork-depend-on-repetitive-strats tryhards, it would be for actual-FPS-skill-having tryhards who like to run around and have a good time, and for people who have spent a lot of time with this fundamentally repetitive game and want to spice up the marriage a little. For people who've already 25ed everything else. I've barely got all my classes to 10 and I'm ready for something new.

Danknificent fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 24, 2016

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Coolguye posted:

gently caress that, if my surname was Butt/Butts I'd change my first name to Dixon

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Might be better to make the ammo boxes and weapons normal, but have survivalist start with an innate perk that doubles ammo box pickup and gives random better quality weapons when picking up after a certain level. Then have the perks for leveling be something like ammo box pickup amount = 200% + 5% per level? And have the perks you need to pick from allow you to skew preferentially towards certain weapons.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Danknificent posted:

I wouldn't try at all. Survivalist would be underpowered. The spawns are unique to you*. Round X, you get tier X weapons spawning. There would be a large component of luck.

*the locations can be static, just the weapon type/tier randomized - there for all survivalists, but everyone can only pick it up once per round.

If we really wanted to lighten up, have some actual fun with the game, and take it a step further, we could have it so you never know what kind of grenade you'll throw when you hit the button. Random every time. The level perks would just be incremental across the board buffs instead of narrow situational nonsense. HP and movement speed would be important to this class since it's all about running around solo to forage. Armor maybe.

As for custom mappers, there are only two Survivalist entities to place: ammo and weapons. The weapons are random. The ammo is just ammo, or armor. If map makers can't be bothered, you got nine other classes to play on custom maps. You'd have to find a good place between too many spawns and not enough, but you could just err toward not enough and call it a day.

Survivalist is already a transparently disappointing cop-out class; TWI isn't fooling anyone, so making it actually fun/humorous/exciting/spontaneous could actually be a decent consolation prize. My personal take on the perk wouldn't be for tactically-thinking-nerd-teamwork-depend-on-repetitive-strats tryhards, it would be for actual-FPS-skill-having tryhards who like to run around and have a good time, and for people who have spent a lot of time with this fundamentally repetitive game and want to spice up the marriage a little. For people who've already 25ed everything else. I've barely got all my classes to 10 and I'm ready for something new.

Yeah if you're going to make an asset recycling class at least make it properly funky. Generic non-specialized passives and perks only. Random Grenade every time you throw is a good idea. Hell make it unable to gain dosh and use the trader - survivalist has to live off the map, but gets special drops only survivalists can see to compensate? Gotta use what you find, and if it's empty throw it away and grab something else!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

DatonKallandor posted:

Yeah if you're going to make an asset recycling class at least make it properly funky. Generic non-specialized passives and perks only. Random Grenade every time you throw is a good idea. Hell make it unable to gain dosh and use the trader - survivalist has to live off the map, but gets special drops only survivalists can see to compensate? Gotta use what you find, and if it's empty throw it away and grab something else!

I mean, when you see the term Survivalist, living off the land's a given, yeah? I think I said that kinda class some posts ago.

But then after that, instead of "specific weapon bonuses" for perks, why not actually consider the class name? Like, make a perk choice either pick up armor from ammo boxes OR armor from dosh thrown at you. And then another perk could be either all boxes spawn for you OR your team can pick up your boxes. And for the capstone, wait for it... not a Zed-Time perk but either double damage/ammo/knockdown OR an aura that flat out gives damage resistance. Why no Zed Time perks? Because Zed Time ain't found in nature. :v:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Game's on sale for 2/3 the price. Are they gonna jack it up come launch or will it stay at 30bux?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

man I just tried the beta with my friends on PS4 for the first time and absolutely loved it, kind of put down that everyone is just complaining about a dumb perk or some poo poo. game is absolutely insane, had no idea it was coming to consoles. I never played KF1 either but if this has as many upgrades, I'm gonna enjoy it a lot. Are there plans for more than 2 boss characters?