Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Geight posted:

The original owner needs to cede the city to you in peace talks, or you need to eradicate the original owner completely.

I actually don't like that mechanic, or rather I don't like that ceding cities isn't automatically included in the default peace agreement. It's not like there's any reason I would -not- want them to cede cities I decided to keep, right?

Hmm, I see. Thanks.

That means eradication for England. :hist101:

edit: is Commando (Can scale cliff walls) ever useful?

PirateBob fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Altough, Rome not liking you less than 20 turns no for not expanding seems a bit funny...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Periodiko posted:

I like Terry Pratchett too, but why on earth are we so desperate for quotes that we're going to him twice.

Because there are twice as many quotes for each tech in this game as there were in previous ones

Geight posted:

The Civ V approach of "less is more" doesn't seem quite as true here!

less units is more dying

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 22, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm a bit confused by some of the pantheon beliefs. It tells me that I get +1 faith for every mine built on bonus resources. I have two but am not getting any faith from them.
Why would that be?

I had the same with the + production fishing boat one.

In a similar vein I have papal primacy but if I select a place I've converted it doesn't seem to show that I've got more resources from it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 22, 2016

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Doredrin posted:

One of the quotes for a later patch/expansion absolutely has to be "One does not simply walk into Mordor."

You're probably joking, but I found this from one of the official media feeds today:

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/789602007145328640

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Taear posted:

I'm a bit confused by some of the pantheon beliefs. It tells me that I get +1 faith for every mine built on bonus resources. I have two but am not getting any faith from them.
Why would that be?

I had the same with the + production fishing boat one.

In a similar vein I have papal primacy but if I select a place I've converted it doesn't seem to show that I've got more resources from it.

Pretty sure you're getting it- check your city yields when you move citizens around to be sureon that- it's just that it seems some income sources don't show up when you're looking at tile yield dots. It's dumb, but I can see why the yields from individual tiles are there while overarching policy bonuses are not.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Decius posted:

It doesn't put my taskbar to the background though, making it unusable for me.

Right-click Civ6 on the taskbar, then click back into Civ6. (You don't need to pick any option that comes from right-clicking Civ6 in the taskbar.)

Don't know why but sometimes games in fullscreen windowed get stuck. That fixes it for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Zomborgon posted:

Pretty sure you're getting it- check your city yields when you move citizens around to be sureon that- it's just that it seems some income sources don't show up when you're looking at tile yield dots. It's dumb, but I can see why the yields from individual tiles are there while overarching policy bonuses are not.

Yea I probably am, it just seems strange not to see it.

And can you not tell how many people follow a religion in your city? Religious citizens is all I see but that isn't specific enough. It's there when I have a missionary but that seems to be it!
My holy city for my religion is now following another religion and the missionaries I build are spreading that other one now, that is loving annoying since it doesn't tell you what religion the missionary is when you build it.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 22, 2016

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Why did my wild card granting me 2 great prophet points disappear and require me to change it? What triggers that, none of my other policies changed?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Why did my wild card granting me 2 great prophet points disappear and require me to change it? What triggers that, none of my other policies changed?

There are no more great prophets left, there's only enough for about six religions.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Taear posted:

There are no more great prophets left, there's only enough for about six religions.

Also once you've got one, you don't need another for any purpose, so no need to keep it at that point. (Additional religion bonuses from from... Apostles I think? Not Great Prophets, anyhow.)

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Prism posted:

Also once you've got one, you don't need another for any purpose, so no need to keep it at that point. (Additional religion bonuses from from... Apostles I think? Not Great Prophets, anyhow.)

Sorry, seven.

So now my holy city has been converted and only has 2 followers of my original religion what the gently caress do I do to get it back? This seems sort of crazy.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to get really annoyed that barbs keep leaving their camps unguarded. Sometimes it works in your favor but I just started a game as Gilgamesh and I've lost 2 camps in a row because the defender left and a city state sniped it.

Edit: Rolling around stomping barbs and the occasional other civ with war carts is drat good fun though

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 22, 2016

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

SlyFrog posted:

Just to be sure I'm not missing anything, there's no way to speed up the building of districts, right? I don't see a way to buy them with gold.

Aztecs can speed-build districts in 5 turns with builders.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Is there a quick reference to which great people correspond to which buildings? I'm sitting here with 3 artists, 1 musician, and 1 writer and I have no idea which buildings they can use, which cities have them already, and if I've even discovered them yet. I know if I have a slot then it'll turn white when I click the person, but I at least want an out of game quick reference.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

Curses youre right. My first gsme and i have tons of faith but no grest prophet points because im a derp from civ 5. Next time.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jastiger posted:

Curses youre right. My first gsme and i have tons of faith but no grest prophet points because im a derp from civ 5. Next time.

You can buy them with faith too. It just takes absolutely loads.
And you need a holy site to actually put them in which I didn't realise, wasted a ton of turns there.

Talking of getting beaten to stuff, no points for losing a wonder to another civ hurts a shitload.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

You can buy them with faith too. It just takes absolutely loads.
And you need a holy site to actually put them in which I didn't realise, wasted a ton of turns there.

Talking of getting beaten to stuff, no points for losing a wonder to another civ hurts a shitload.

You don't get ANYTHING for losing a wonder race? Ouch.
And yeah I had faith, holy sites, etc. then I'm like "wow, I'm generating a lot of faith, but it'll be 50 more turns before I Can buy anything. Oh look no more great prophets"

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
I feel like the map seeding in this game is tilted far too much in favor of being random rather than being balanced or fun to play

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Jastiger posted:

You don't get ANYTHING for losing a wonder race? Ouch.

It's not even great about telling you that you lost out!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I just wanted to post that I got a relic in my Aztec game: the grass cutting sword, made by a "martyred apostle." This religion must be the most badass.

What stores relics, other than the palace? Cathedrals? Museums? Anything else?

Relics combined with the triple relic bonus belief are pretty great, I constantly go around asking other civs if they've got any relics to sell, I'm like some kind of imperial magpie. Kinda tempted to combine it with England for maximum hoarding.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Midnightghoul posted:

I feel like the map seeding in this game is tilted far too much in favor of being random rather than being balanced or fun to play

Ah, the "Endless Legend Approach".

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Taear posted:

Sorry, seven.

So now my holy city has been converted and only has 2 followers of my original religion what the gently caress do I do to get it back? This seems sort of crazy.

To my knowledge there are no "holy cities" in VI, if you can't hold on to your religion and nobody else will spread it either then as far as I can tell it's gone for good. Always keep some inquisitors handy for a rainy day.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Jastiger posted:

In my experience it was based on trying to snag an important luxury or strategic resource that was in the middle of no where. So the desirability was low, but the resources were there.

Er... I feel like you're still misunderstanding something fundamentally. Basic rule of thumb: Appeal is 100% irrelevant and you should always ignore it. It does nothing for you. There are some tiny exceptions to that, but clearly listing those has simply made you more confused. Act like that stat doesn't exist and you'll be more than fine. The only reason to even slightly pay attention to it is in the end-game when you're going for a Tourist victory: it has no other effect.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Kanfy posted:

To my knowledge there are no "holy cities" in VI, if you can't hold on to your religion and nobody else will spread it either then as far as I can tell it's gone for good. Always keep some inquisitors handy for a rainy day.

Well that's absolutely poo poo. It happened way before I had chance to really do anything about it, I wish I'd realised that's a thing.

While I am enjoying the game I feel like some stuff is way under-explained. The civlopedia isn't as good either, in the past every single ability had its own article.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kanfy posted:

I don't know how it works exactly, but they do at least exist for pressure because Jerusalem's city-state power is to immediately convert to your religion and exert pressure as if it was a second Holy City.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
Why is tourism even a victory condition? Seems like a weird conceit.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The strategic map is really drat pretty, even though I have no idea what I'm doing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

PaybackJack posted:

Also I love the Sean Bean narration but these quotes are not very good.

It's one thing for the game to intentionally use more irreverent quotes for a more light-hearted game, and another thing entirely to start quoting obscure bloggers for Chichen Itza and using actual complaints as quotes for Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Brannock posted:

another thing entirely to start quoting obscure bloggers for Chichen Itza

Social media is the future.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Lawen posted:

This was bugging me until I figured it out too. There isn't a discrete menu button to see a list of all of your units but you can select any unit and click on its name in the unit card in the bottom right and that'll pop up a list of all your units (including sleeping/fortified/garrisoned/great people).

Thank you!!!

Brannock posted:

It's one thing for the game to intentionally use more irreverent quotes for a more light-hearted game, and another thing entirely to start quoting obscure bloggers for Chichen Itza and using actual complaints as quotes for Mt. Kilimanjaro.

I did sort of wonder if they just used the first thing that popped up on google for a few of them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Chomp8645 posted:

Social media is the future.

Sure maybe, but the quote isn't even good, let alone insightful or anything like that.

Civ 5 went heavy on the whole "Awe-Inspiring" angle between the art deco look, the quote choice, and the Wonder/Era mattes. Civ 6 is a letdown on that front.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What is the quote?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Any discounts out there to be had on the game?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SlothBear posted:

From this point on me and Gilgamesh are the best of friends. I guess he likes people who fight wars with him? He goes from just having done all he can to kill me to declaring us friends and allies and we stay this way the rest of the game.

:laugh: More accurate than you realize

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Chomp8645 posted:

What is the quote?

Oh, this brings up another minor complaint I have about Civ 6, you can't access the Civilopedia from the main menu, you have to load a game first.

Chichen Itza: "The Great Ball Court is also very impressive. I would like to have seen them play a game, although it sounds like the end was pretty violent. I think it was safer to be a spectator." -- IslaDeb

Mt. Kilimanjaro: "As it turns out, Mount Kilimanjaro is not wi-fi enabled, so I had to spend two weeks in Tanzania talking to the people on my trip." -- Nancy Bonds

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Taear posted:

And can you not tell how many people follow a religion in your city? Religious citizens is all I see but that isn't specific enough. It's there when I have a missionary but that seems to be it!

Click on the city's title card, click the Toggle City Details icon to pop up the left sidebar, 3rd tab/section shows number of citizens who follow each religion.

Richard M Nixon posted:

Is there a quick reference to which great people correspond to which buildings? I'm sitting here with 3 artists, 1 musician, and 1 writer and I have no idea which buildings they can use, which cities have them already, and if I've even discovered them yet. I know if I have a slot then it'll turn white when I click the person, but I at least want an out of game quick reference.

I don't have a link to a cheat sheet but in game, once you have at least one great work(?) a Great Works button shows up at the top left (by the Tech Tree/Culture Tree/Government/Religion/Great People buttons) that will show all of your works and available slots and which city they're in.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Brannock posted:

Chichen Itza: "The Great Ball Court is also very impressive. I would like to have seen them play a game, although it sounds like the end was pretty violent. I think it was safer to be a spectator." -- IslaDeb

Mt. Kilimanjaro: "As it turns out, Mount Kilimanjaro is not wi-fi enabled, so I had to spend two weeks in Tanzania talking to the people on my trip." -- Nancy Bonds

Wow.

Thinking maybe they handed off some/all of the quotes to a freshly graduated "social media expert" and/or intern.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Yeah the quotes are almost universally awful this time around, as is the narration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Lawen posted:

Click on the city's title card, click the Toggle City Details icon to pop up the left sidebar, 3rd tab/section shows number of citizens who follow each religion.

I'd like to see the pressure, it's strange that I can't.

And no teams for multiplayer, what's that all about?

I love the quotes though. Some really good ones in there.